Drag to reposition cover

How Critical Theory radicalized universities, culture, media and politics.

RIVALWEAR

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 12, 2012
You just described exactly what happens when a bunch of folks on the right attack a lib. And happens all the damn time.

The idea that only libs attack those who disagree with them on social media is LAUGHABLE.

We are all entrenched on our teams, and the other side is the enemy. It’s a trap we have got to break out of.
I get called names by both sides. But it happens mostly by leftist. Which is ironic bc they’re the ones that are supposedly intellectually superior.

The only right wing nuts I run into are religious zealots or gun rights. But I’ve yet to see either group accuse someone of being a sexist or racist. Sure. They’ll call someone stupid or unpatriotic, but that isn’t that bad in my view.

Last edited:

JG

Oct 29, 2008
So you agree with the SJW mantra?
What mantra is that?

Anything like the “dissent must be silenced” we see from some of the conservatives on here?

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
Most “journalists” are nothing more than opinionists these days.
We're a nation devoid of anything resembling objective news or reporting. It's become a pile of blogs and spin and BS. The embarrassing part isn't that people have opinions, it's that they lack the integrity or honor to be honest or truthful in their reporting, and neither side has any qualms about being deceitful in their covering of the news.

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
What mantra is that?

Anything like the “dissent must be silenced” we see from some of the conservatives on here?
This is really getting tiresome.
No one....I repeat NO ONE is trying to silence you John.
Have various people said to just "Ignore" you? Sure, but that is not trying to "Silence you" half as much as it is saying that it is not worth the effort to go down the rabbit hole with you and encouraging other to not fall into the trap.

I don't engage in the reindeer games of ridicule and insults (Most of the time), but for crissakes, You bring a lot of this crap on yourself....and you know it. Which is why , in my case specifically, I tend to just not comment on a lot of the stuff you say. Not because you don't have a right to say it....But rather, the way you say it makes you look like a cross between Bernie, AOC and every other looney tune out there today.

You know what is really sad my friend? That I know you are a helluva lot more intelligent and better than this.
There are a lot of left leaning people here who seem to be able to engage, debate and make their points....and I frequently enjoy reading their thoughts.

So NO....No one s trying to "Silence dissent" or run off any liberal who comes here.
And you need to just quit saying this and playing the damned victim.
Make your points...Voice you opinions.....Defend them with facts...and then let it go.
You may not change anyone's mind (Just as they probably won't change yours), But if you can present your thoughts and listen to others....Just maybe you can make them stop and think....and maybe do the same yourself.
Think about it.

Semper Fi

JG

Oct 29, 2008
This is really getting tiresome.
No one....I repeat NO ONE is trying to silence you John.
Have various people said to just "Ignore" you? Sure, but that is not trying to "Silence you" half as much as it is saying that it is not worth the effort to go down the rabbit hole with you and encouraging other to not fall into the trap.

I don't engage in the reindeer games of ridicule and insults (Most of the time), but for crissakes, You bring a lot of this crap on yourself....and you know it. Which is why , in my case specifically, I tend to just not comment on a lot of the stuff you say. Not because you don't have a right to say it....But rather, the way you say it makes you look like a cross between Bernie, AOC and every other looney tune out there today.

You know what is really sad my friend? That I know you are a helluva lot more intelligent and better than this.
There are a lot of left leaning people here who seem to be able to engage, debate and make their points....and I frequently enjoy reading their thoughts.

So NO....No one s trying to "Silence dissent" or run off any liberal who comes here.
And you need to just quit saying this and playing the damned victim.
Make your points...Voice you opinions.....Defend them with facts...and then let it go.
You may not change anyone's mind (Just as they probably won't change yours), But if you can present your thoughts and listen to others....Just maybe you can make them stop and think....and maybe do the same yourself.
Think about it.

Semper Fi
The poster was complaining about libs on FB attacking conservatives...and it happens in the other direction at least as often.

When you talk about "left-leaning people on here", I ask, who? Windy? Windy is more left than I am, but he's smarter too and doesn't engage in argument because he knows it won't be productive. Who else? Acreativeusername isn't "left-leaning".

Tell me which actual lefties or liberals "engage, debate, and make their points" without being attacked. I don't see any.

I don't really want to get into an argument about it. I know what goes on, and obviously I am ok with dealing with it because I keep coming back. I've just learned that some folks I disengage with too.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
The poster was complaining about libs on FB attacking conservatives...and it happens in the other direction at least as often.

When you talk about "left-leaning people on here", I ask, who? Windy? Windy is more left than I am, but he's smarter too and doesn't engage in argument because he knows it won't be productive. Who else? Acreativeusername isn't "left-leaning".

Tell me which actual lefties or liberals "engage, debate, and make their points" without being attacked. I don't see any.

I don't really want to get into an argument about it. I know what goes on, and obviously I am ok with dealing with it because I keep coming back. I've just learned that some folks I disengage with too.
What's an attack? Disagreement? Debate?

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
"Shut up, moron"
So everyone here on the left gets exposed to that?

Regardless, I get it from a handful of posters on the left here, and I've unfortunately done it myself on a few occasions. It just comes with the territory of political discourse.

I don't agree with it, but it's not ubiquitous and it's unrealistic to expect it to stop.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
So everyone here on the left gets exposed to that?

Regardless, I get it from a handful of posters on the left here, and I've unfortunately done it myself on a few occasions. It just comes with the territory of political discourse.

I don't agree with it, but it's not ubiquitous and it's unrealistic to expect it to stop.
It's a lot more common to lefties here rather than from them, but that's mostly because there a lot more conservatives here, not because conservatives are any better or worse about it than libs.

Again, I was just responding to the guy who complained about FB people shouting down conservatives, and my point is that it definitely goes both ways.

timeontarget

Jan 27, 2018
I've looked into the influence of critical theory on certain academic disciplines and now the wider culture. It is both amusing and sad how many SJW's adopt its tactics and beliefs without having any clue where they come from. It's also entertaining how it has turned some academic subjects into jokes or has created really stupid ones. Two professors, a philosopher and a scientist (I believe), decided to prank the critical theory/SJW section of academia and write fake papers... papers that either got published or were on their way to getting published. They wrote nonsense and it passed as real academic work in these fields.

When you understand critical theory and deconstructionalism, you start to see how people justify in their minds gross double standards, the jettisoning of logic (heck, that "logic" stuff might just be another oppressive "system" devised by the white people in power!), and rage-fests. I had someone I know tell me, after the Covington High School students were later shown to not have done anything wrong, that it was no big deal that people sent death threats to them, tried to get them expelled from school, harassed them, and tried to get colleges to not accept them: They're rich white boys. We should turn our attention to kids who are less privileged. I was aghast and told him that death threats and false accusations of racism should be condemned and considered wrong against anyone, regardless of race and economic status. That's justice. It was like this novel concept to him.
Sokal originally:

It has thus become increasingly apparent that physical ``reality'', no less than social ``reality'', is at bottom a social and linguistic construct; that scientific ``knowledge", far from being objective, reflects and encodes the dominant ideologies and power relations of the culture that produced it; that the truth claims of science are inherently theory-laden and self-referential; and consequently, that the discourse of the scientific community, for all its undeniable value, cannot assert a privileged epistemological status with respect to counter-hegemonic narratives emanating from dissident or marginalized communities.

"Physical reality is at bottom a social and linguistic construct . . . ."

It was brilliant.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Sokal originally:

It has thus become increasingly apparent that physical ``reality'', no less than social ``reality'', is at bottom a social and linguistic construct; that scientific ``knowledge", far from being objective, reflects and encodes the dominant ideologies and power relations of the culture that produced it; that the truth claims of science are inherently theory-laden and self-referential; and consequently, that the discourse of the scientific community, for all its undeniable value, cannot assert a privileged epistemological status with respect to counter-hegemonic narratives emanating from dissident or marginalized communities.

It was brilliant.

It’s amazing(ly scary) how accurately Sokal’s satire predicted post-modernism’s assault on truth.

We’re seeing it full force in the soft sciences. It’s only a matter of time before we see it in the hard sciences, too.

Before long, we’ll be hearing about how the Pythagorean theorem and the periodic table are nothing more than tools of Western white oppression.

theelusiveshadow

Nov 2, 2016
Sokal originally:

It was brilliant.

Yeah this was one of the inspirations for the two professors more recently.

It is pretty telling that none of this mumbo-jumbo is distinguishable from what these types actually write.

I know I'm showing my analytic philosophy bias, but Derrida is often considered a joke in analytic circles, but his influence has permeated fields that are less beholden to logic such as English and gender studies.

timeontarget

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah this was one of the inspirations for the two professors more recently.

It is pretty telling that none of this mumbo-jumbo is distinguishable from what these types actually write.

I know I'm showing my analytic philosophy bias, but Derrida is often considered a joke in analytic circles, but his influence has permeated fields that are less beholden to logic such as English and gender studies.
I'll have to check out the recent professors' stuff. Do you have a name?

Haven't ever really studied this stuff, but I am curious having listened to it too frequently in academia and from people with limited knowledge and little perspective.

I loved this line in Sokal too:

"in Irigaray's and Hayles' exegeses of gender encoding in fluid mechanics."

Gender encoding in fluid mechanics -- you would think that the dimmest bulb would have caught on at that point.

Amazing the stuff that will fly without anyone understanding or questioning it.

In legal documents there is an introductory phrase that is commonly used, "Know all men by these presents . . . ."

This idiotic phrase is ubiquitous in contracts, real estate, etc. What apparently happened is that a Magna Carta era phrase, "Know all men future and present that . . . ." was botched up in transcription at some point, then blindly copied by unquestioning attorneys until memory runneth not to the contrary.

And those guys were presumably smarter than average . . . .

PS -- can't claim I didn't allow it to remain in documents I prepared when young. Finally, after finding that out and deciding I hated that kind of BS, I eliminated that and other similar stuff.

Last edited:

theelusiveshadow

Nov 2, 2016
I'll have to check out the recent professors' stuff. Do you have a name?

Haven't ever really studied this stuff, but I am curious having listened to it too frequently in academia and from people with limited knowledge and little perspective.

I loved this line in Sokal too:

"in Irigaray's and Hayles' exegeses of gender encoding in fluid mechanics."

Gender encoding in fluid mechanics -- you would think that the dimmest bulb would have caught on at that point.

Amazing the stuff that will fly without anyone understanding or questioning it.

In legal documents there is an introductory phrase that is commonly used, "Know all men by these presents . . . ."

This idiotic phrase is ubiquitous in contracts, real estate, etc. What apparently happened is that a Magna Carta era phrase, "Know all men future and present that . . . ." was botched up in transcription at some point, then blindly copied by unquestioning attorneys until memory runneth not to the contrary.

PS -- can't claim I didn't allow it to remain in documents I prepared when young. Finally, after finding that out and deciding I hated that kind of BS, I eliminated that and other similar stuff.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/new-sokal-hoax/572212/

Pretty funny.

Reactions: timeontarget

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas

Thanks, I've wondered about that for a long time. Both my diplomas from UT just read "The University of Texas at Austin has conferred on..." But my Ph.D. from A&M even mangled the old "Know all men by these presents". My aggie diploma readss, "To all whom these presents may come Greeting Be it Known that..." When I saw that I thought "WTF does that even mean?" I guess by awkwardly rephrasing the old standard they did away with the sexist implications of "men'", which seems like it wasn't even all that big a problem back then, so I guess they were out in front...or bent over grabbing their man bits...or something.

But then if sexism is a problem for them why are their cheerleaders all guys?

Oh well, “From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can’t explain it.”

Aggies...I spent almost five years on that campus and I never did come close to understanding whatever "it" was.

But I do always have a valid excuse when I do or say something stupid.

timeontarget

Jan 27, 2018
Thanks, I've wondered about that for a long time. Both my diplomas from UT just read "The University of Texas at Austin has conferred on..." But my Ph.D. from A&M even mangled the old "Know all men by these presents". My aggie diploma readss, "To all whom these presents may come Greeting Be it Known that..." When I saw that I thought "WTF does that even mean?" I guess by awkwardly rephrasing the old standard they did away with the sexist implications of "men'", which seems like it wasn't even all that big a problem back then, so I guess they were out in front...or bent over grabbing their man bits...or something.

Oh well, “From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can’t explain it.”

Aggies...I spent almost five years on that campus and I never did come close to understanding whatever "it" was.

Hilarious!

I never have even looked at my diplomas, but I will have to dig them out and see.

timeontarget

Jan 27, 2018
Hilarious!

I never have even looked at my diplomas, but I will have to dig them out and see.

And, of course, simply "Be it known that" pretty much completely covers it.

Reactions: padrehorn11