Human composting is now a thing.

calvin farquhar

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 19, 2017
I try to imagine the the many uses. Has anyone ever heard of this before. New to me.

https://qz.com/1625446/washington-state-lawmakers-just-approved-human-corpse-composting/

Dust to dust” just became a much more literal proposition in Washington state, where the legislature approved human composting on May 21.

Bill 5001, “concerning human remains,” is now on the governor’s desk, awaiting a signature after passage in the house and senate. This makes Washington the first US state legislature to approve human composting as an alternative “burial” option in a process called “recomposition” (which sounds more heartening than “decomposition” and emphasizes the environmental friendliness of this method).

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Wait. They’re burying them? I didn’t read article.
My reference was to how our society deals with the dead, which is burial, mostly. Of course, cremation is an option. I hadn't heard of turning the body into compost soil and using it for a garden.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
I think he was talking about currently. I don't think that's a quote from the article.
My reference was to how our society deals with the dead, which is burial, mostly. Of course, cremation is an option. I hadn't heard of turning the body into compost soil and using it for a garden.
Typo in my last post. Are they not burying these people? Putting them in an above ground compost pile?

Reactions: Turnbo828

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Typo in my last post. Are they not burying these people? Putting them in an above ground compost pile?
Correct. Above ground rectangular planter boxes. The bodies are turned into compost, like you'd buy at Home Depot and used for a garden. Once the process is complete, loved ones can come and get a scoop of little johnny to take home with them. The rest feeds the veggies.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Correct. Above ground rectangular planter boxes. The bodies are turned into compost, like you'd buy at Home Depot and used for a garden. Once the process is complete, loved ones can come and get a scoop of little johnny to take home with them. The rest feeds the veggies.
What a perfect time to put in a sunroom and enjoy your thriving garden.

“Recompose offers an alternative choice to cremation and conventional burial methods. Our service—recomposition—gently converts human remains into soil, so that we can nourish new life after we die,”

fdub206

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
kent, washington
Without having read much into this on the surface it seems kinda cool to me. I'm all for whatever doesn't cost a ton of money when i die because i don't really care where or how i'm buried. I guess if i can be composted and help grow a tree or something that is kind of cool.

Reactions: Duke Silver

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Without having read much into this on the surface it seems kinda cool to me. I'm all for whatever doesn't cost a ton of money when i die because i don't really care where or how i'm buried. I guess if i can be composted and help grow a tree or something that is kind of cool.
Well, I had always planned on cremation, but this is an interesting way to do it, and according to them, a green alternative.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
What a perfect time to put in a sunroom and enjoy your thriving garden.

“Recompose offers an alternative choice to cremation and conventional burial methods. Our service—recomposition—gently converts human remains into soil, so that we can nourish new life after we die,”
I believe @Duke Silver is currently in the process of building a sunroom. Seems like a simple addition to the build.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Oh ****, that's weird. I thought they were just burying them in the woods with no embalming and fertilizing the land.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
I have told my wife I want to be cremated previously. I just don’t get spending $10-$15k on a casket and plot for someone to come visit where my rotting corpse is. I don’t get it, it’s a waste of money. This I could get behind.
I'm the same. Put me in an urn and on a shelf or spread the ashes over Texas. But this caught my interest as another way to go.

Reactions: Halas

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
It seems like there could be some serious infectious disease or epidemiological consequences to this.

There are reasons why humans have buried or burned corpses for centuries.

Reactions: TexasPalladin

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
Told my Bride that when I die to just cook me and don't sweat it.
Also told here if she could get away with just packing me in a cardboard box, add lighter fluid and a match, that would be great as it would save her a lot of money and decisions.
I am no longer going to be here regardless of where my soul/lifeforce/essence/etc goes afterwards.
So I am not gonna give a damn what happens to the body...I am going to be done with it.
Keep it simple....save the money...and let me go.
Because I am gonna be gone.

Although I do kinda like the idea of a funeral pyre and a bunch of Marines singing the Marine Corps Hymn for a send off.. :)
All she would have to do is offer free booze and she would get all of them to show up.
(And if the assholes are anything like my generation....there is no doubt a few will show up with marshmallows).

Semper Fi

Last edited:
Reactions: futures2015

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
I’m waiting to see if @futures2015 approves of this.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Ok, so every since I first saw the post, this song has bee running through my head and so I'm going to inflict it upon y'all. (BTW this is the original version, so it includes the racially insensitive verse (#4). I apologize if anyone here is offended on behalf of the indigenous people of Australia. I do believe, though I havn't checked it out on Snpoo

Methinks the OLDS won't be joining in.
It’s compulsory just like the composting will be soon.