In retrospect

clayinva

Sep 9, 2020
Without Sam Ehlinger's heroics in a number of games from the past few years does Tom Herman even make it to year 4? Understanding that with a different guy under center the games would have played out differently, without Sam does he have even one win over OU or OSU? Does KU win last year? This might be a bit of a hot taek, but turning it around, Ehlinger's performances masked some really bad coaching from TH, but how much did his heroics hinder TH's need to grow and learn? 10 wins covers for a lot and Herman doesn't strike me as a very introspective guy.

That led me to look at Houston where he basically lucked into Greg Ward Jr and a fairly close to lock-down CB in William Jackson his first year (still managed to lose to U and I can't emphasize this enough Conn, and then got Ed Oliver the next year in time to beat OU. He also inherited some other NFL talent on the defense but those are the names that really jumped out. Without those players does he even make it to UT in the first place?

This strikes me as a really compelling reason to hire someone with more of a track record of building a program and not the guy who might have made his reputation based on catching lightning in a bottle. Look at the trajectory of Houston since Herman left - the players he left behind have won between 4 and 8 games the past few years. He's the above average OC who just doesn't have the chops to run a program and likely needs the head coach telling him "Hey Mensa, you know that the run game isn't cutting it today. How about emptying the backfield and..."

As a K-State fan I'm quite happy to see Sam ride into the sunset and never have a really good head coach. As a college football fan, I'm disappointed that I won't have gotten to see him play on the biggest stage. Unless y'all hire Urban Meyer and he comes back next year. Because Meyer would know exactly what to do with him.

Ian Boyd

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Without Sam Ehlinger's heroics in a number of games from the past few years does Tom Herman even make it to year 4? Understanding that with a different guy under center the games would have played out differently, without Sam does he have even one win over OU or OSU? Does KU win last year? This might be a bit of a hot taek, but turning it around, Ehlinger's performances masked some really bad coaching from TH, but how much did his heroics hinder TH's need to grow and learn? 10 wins covers for a lot and Herman doesn't strike me as a very introspective guy.

That led me to look at Houston where he basically lucked into Greg Ward Jr and a fairly close to lock-down CB in William Jackson his first year (still managed to lose to U and I can't emphasize this enough Conn, and then got Ed Oliver the next year in time to beat OU. He also inherited some other NFL talent on the defense but those are the names that really jumped out. Without those players does he even make it to UT in the first place?

This strikes me as a really compelling reason to hire someone with more of a track record of building a program and not the guy who might have made his reputation based on catching lightning in a bottle. Look at the trajectory of Houston since Herman left - the players he left behind have won between 4 and 8 games the past few years. He's the above average OC who just doesn't have the chops to run a program and likely needs the head coach telling him "Hey Mensa, you know that the run game isn't cutting it today. How about emptying the backfield and..."

As a K-State fan I'm quite happy to see Sam ride into the sunset and never have a really good head coach. As a college football fan, I'm disappointed that I won't have gotten to see him play on the biggest stage. Unless y'all hire Urban Meyer and he comes back next year. Because Meyer would know exactly what to do with him.
You're wrong, William Jackson was nothing before Herman and his staff quickly molded him into an NFL draft pick, haha. That was actually a selling point for the cornerback coach...before he was fired when none of his star pupils were realizing their potential and LSU was throwing for 4,000 yards.

You've got it all exactly right.

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
It's kind of amazing the numbers of things that happened to line up Herman perfectly for Texas while also setting up his now inevitable demise.

The players are of course the ones getting screwed, Sam probably the most, at least considering the career he could have had with just baseline competence around him.

I'm increasingly getting on the Meyer train because we just need a complete reset. We obviously don't know what good looks like anymore, and we need to reestablish institutional knowledge of what a successful program looks like internally that will hopefully continue on once Urban or whoever is gone.

Reactions: btown1110

RuralJuror

Member Who Talks
Nov 27, 2019
While true, and I am far from a Herman fan, the one thing Herman has done well at Texas is QB recruiting and development, so we have to give him some credit for Sam's success.

Reactions: bHero

clayinva

Sep 9, 2020
While true, and I am far from a Herman fan, the one thing Herman has done well at Texas is QB recruiting and development, so we have to give him some credit for Sam's success.
Recruiting sure. Development is a sample of one at this point. If Ehlinger were out for any reason and Thompson comes in and plays well (or Card or Jackson) then you could say QB development was a strength. Where would Ehlinger be today had he played for Riley or Gundy for four years?

Reactions: rycgill

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
New Braunfels, TX
Recruiting sure. Development is a sample of one at this point. If Ehlinger were out for any reason and Thompson comes in and plays well (or Card or Jackson) then you could say QB development was a strength. Where would Ehlinger be today had he played for Riley or Gundy for four years?
He might be at Jackson State or North Dakota State, its a ridiculous analogy. No one knows how his career might have been had he not been a Longhorn.

clayinva

Sep 9, 2020
He might be at Jackson State or North Dakota State, its a ridiculous analogy. No one knows how his career might have been had he not been a Longhorn.
Might have missed my point there in response to the previous post: That point being that Sam Ehlinger is a sample of one for judging Herman on QB development.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
New Braunfels, TX
Might have missed my point there in response to the previous post: That point being that Sam Ehlinger is a sample of one for judging Herman on QB development.
I can see your point, however, I don't see where tH has made a huge contribution. Sam has been much the same ever since he came from Westlake HS, he has gotten bigger, maybe a little faster, arm might be stronger, but where he has made progress is in the Mental dept, he makes better decisions. If you want to give TH that credit, then by all means do so. I prefer to opt out.