Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
By: Gerry Hamilton and Eric Nahlin

100. Shedeur Sanders, QB, Cedar Hill Trinity Christian - FAU

99. Roderick Daniels, WR, Duncanville - Baylor

Hamilton: Little player, big heart, and elite quickness.

Nahlin: He’s a baller. North Shore’s defense didn’t really know what to do with him. The compact build and strength along with rapid leg turnover makes him hard to defend in space.

98. John Paul Richardson, WR, Ridge Point - Oklahoma State

Hamilton: The more one watches the tape, the more one realizes just how talented a WR Bucky Richardson’s kid is. Terrific timing and hands, combined with good speed and burst.

Nahlin: Has possession hands coupled with genuine acceleration and speed.

97. Tavierre Dunlap, RB, Del Valle

Hamilton: Upright runner with good acceleration and lower body strength.

96. Ikechukwu Iwunnah, DT, Lakeview Centennial

Hamilton: Can be a split-second late off the ball at times, but this interior DL prospect has very strong hands and initial pop that jolts the competition. Will be stout against the run at the Power 5 level.

95. C.J. Baskerville, S, Richland

Hamilton: Could have him underrated… 6-foot-1.5, 187 pounds, 4.5 shuttle and 7.36 L-Cone as a junior. File these numbers away. He’s no a lot of school’s boards.

94. Jordan Eubanks, OLB, Denton Guyer - Florida State

93. Da’Wain Lofton, WR, Fort Worth Northside - Virginia Tech

Hamilton: Justin Fuente is a quality talent evaluator. Something to lock away.

Nahlin: Intelligent kid with big play ability. From a recruiting standpoint, he’s been hurt by the school he attends.

92. KeKe Davis, RB, Baytown Lee

Hamilton: Haven’t had the opportunity to rank a Baytown Lee prospect in a few years. Not sure about y’all’s opinion, but Dick Olin’s squads with Jermaine Alfred, Ell Roberson and Drew Tate were fun to watch.

Nahlin: Shows good burst and quick feet in a compact build.

91. Ahmonte Watkins, ATH, Klein Forest

Hamilton: Pure straight line speed could lead to being underrated.

Nahlin: A move-in from Louisiana who plays running back but I’d try to flip him to corner. Good quickness, feet, and fluidity.

90. Keithron Lee, ATH, Bryan Rudder - UTSA

Hamilton: One of many solid early evaluations by Jeff Taylor and staff at UTSA. Problem is this kid is a Power 5 level player, and Pittsburgh has since offered.

89. Lake McRee, TE, Lake Travis - USC

88. Jacob Rodriguez, QB, Wichita Falls Rider - Virginia

Hamilton: Wichita Falls to Charlottesville doesn’t happen very often. Very good scheme fit.

Nahlin: This kid is a fun watch. Has some Sam Ehlinger to him. Stout runner with sneaky athleticism and solid passer.

87. Jaeden Roberts, OG, North Shore - Auburn

Hamilton: Was really good on tape as a younger player. Needs to get quicker off the ball.

86. Cisco Caston, S, Weatherford - Baylor

Hamilton: TCU doesn’t offer a lot of prospects within a 20-25 mile radius of campus. Add the fact Caston is a defensive player, and this is one to watch.

Nahlin: No relation to Cito Gaston. Aranda has a good eye too. Caston can definitely run and hit. Box safety at a minimum but I wonder about linebacker. That upside would add a lot of value.

85. Landen King, TE, Atascocita - Auburn

Hamilton: Love the hands and aggressiveness to fight for the 50-50 ball. Wish there was more ability to separate. Scheme will be huge for him in the SEC.

Nahlin: I think he can separate as a tight end, but more thanks to COD than explosiveness. Great hands and good runner in space. But what’s the vision for him? Is he going to block in-line? Is he a move piece that blocks in space or chips d-ends?

84. Theodore Knox, WR, The Woodlands - Mississippi State

Hamilton: Not as fast on tape as the advertised times, but will expect him to be a productive player in Mike Leach’s system.

83. Devin Lemear, S, Manor

Hamilton: Always take note of Gary Patterson defensive evaluations.

Nahlin: Intelligence and physicality. Could be the guy who calls a defense, which is an added bonus.

82. Blaine Green, WR, Allen - Oklahoma State

Hamilton: Same measurables as Bryson Green. If you are wondering about Nahlin, Justin Wells and my measurables, I’m way more athletic. I’m also older, so not a good trend line for Nahlin and Wells. Can anyone on the board train a couple of lost causes?

81. Hampton Fay, QB, Fort Worth All Saints - Michigan State

Hamilton: Injury last season kept this QB from being more heavily recruited. Like the arm talent of this Michigan State verbal.

80. Hunter Washington, CB, Katy – Florida State

Hamilton: The Florida State of old came to Texas for David Warren.

79. Latrell McCutchin, CB, Austin LBJ - Oklahoma

78. Ketron Jackson, WR, Royse City

Hamilton: Lacks the initial quickness and speed to separate against elite competition. Scheme looms large here.

Nahlin: Checks the testing box but it doesn’t always show up on tape. Could have a big breakout like Loic Fouonji did in my view last year.

77. Juan Davis, TE, Everman - Texas

Hamilton: Arguably had the best hands of any prospect at Deion Sanders Prime21 camp last July, and that is saying something.

Nahlin: Great mental makeup. I think he can be a versatile H-back who does the dirty work, a traditional tight end, or even an outside linebacker. Plays quarterback for his high school which says something.

76. Cam’Ron Valdez, RB, Rockdale - Texas Tech

Nahlin: I think we have him low. He can be a change of pace back for some schools but might be The Man for Tech.

75. Kendrick Blackshire, ILB, Duncanville - Alabama

Hamilton: One of the tough evaluations in this cycle. DT’ish body type long term. Moved like a downhill LB before knee injury took away junior season.

Nahlin: Favorite of the junior evaluation league because muscles, but Michael Clarke Duncanville is a hard one more me to project. Ten years ago you’d think maybe he’d stick at ILB but now I’m not so sure. Length keeps defensive end off the table, at least I think. Looking forward to seeing his senior year.

74. Lyrik Rawls, ATH, Marshall

Nahlin: Solid wide receiver tape but I like him ranging in the secondary. Not too different from Andrew Mukuba in that regard.

73. Tate Williams, OG, Wall - Baylor

Hamilton: Senior riser with college coaches right here.

Nahlin: Great off the ball, keeps his feet moving, and is a bully. Could be a helluva center, too.

72. Brandon Campbell, RB, Katy - USC

Hamilton: He’s been in more high schools in the Houston area than a Big 12 area recruiter. Not an every down back at the next level, but a quality prospect.

Nahlin: He moves more than Hamilton did back in the day. You’re over there logging on to find Gerry in one place, but he’s over here (literally). Now you know how college recruiters felt going to find Campbell. Love the versatility and the verified athleticism, which shows up on tape. Dad is a physical therapist who has clearly kept his son’s body finely tuned. Brandon will run hard too. Versatility for slot or receiving out of the back field. Return game, too.

71. Byron Murphy II, DT, DeSoto - Baylor

Nahlin: Great body mechanics, moves more like a jumbo running back who outgrew the position. Good lateral quicks blended with low-man advantage. Player.

70. Jalon Williams, CB, South Grand Prairie

Hamilton: Strong evaluation by the Texas staff here. Competes for the ball. Willingness to be physical. Quick with turn and recover ability. Tall enough. Fast enough.

69. Cameron Bonner, CB, Houston St. Thomas

Hamilton: Betting on speed here.

Nahlin: Wants to play wide receiver but his build and uniqueness resides at corner. To be clear, he can play receiver, I just don’t know if that’s where the most upside is.

68. Jacoby Jackson, OT, Mansfield Summit - TCU

Hamilton: Like this eval by TCU. How about an 84-inch wing span and 10.25 inch hands at 6-foot-4 without shoes on? Ideal OL prospect to develop and maximize.

Nahlin: A player with a following on the IT Prospect’s Board. Tackle upside, guard likelihood. He could be a special guard.

67. Jack Leyrer, OT, Highland Park

Hamilton: Like the size, frame and upside here. Expects to prepare and win at Highland Park — and that matters.

Nahlin: Knock I’ve heard from college coaches is his game tape isn’t consistent but he was a first year starter at HP last year. I think he has LT upside. He’s right there with a few others who could really use a senior year to boost his profile with bigger schools. I’m a believer in the Brick Leyrer.

66. Keith Cooper, OLB, Dickinson

Hamilton: Quick twitch, aggressive, closes ground, and on a regional title hoops squad. Not having spring football hurt this kid that will be a senior riser — if there is a senior rising opportunity.

Nahlin: Great fit for OLB and should find a scheme that deploys that position rather than just becoming a defensive end.

65. Connor Heffernan, OT, Georgetown - Baylor

Nahlin: I’m not as high on him as I was Andrej Karic, but I think there are some similarities and Heffernan can stick at tackle.

64. Kaidon Salter, QB, Cedar Hill - Tennessee

63. Isaiah Nwokobia, S, Dallas Skyline - SMU

62. Quay Davis, WR, Dallas Skyline - USC

61. Dametrious Crownover, DE, Grandview

Hamilton: Baylor offered in hoops. Guess he can drop into zone coverage.

60. Garfield Lawrence, DE, Tyler Lee

Hamilton: This is one to keep an eye on. Nice length and motor with plenty of upside. Former head coach Kurt Taylor was high on his ability when I was by during the season. Easy to see why on tape, despite not starting a game as a junior playing behind another FBS recruit. He would have 12-15 more P5 offers if spring practice had taken place.

59. Caleb Johnson, ATH, Greenville - Oklahoma

Hamilton: I’m a fan of this playmaker. Elusive enough, but it’s the ability to accelerate and long speed that makes you take notice. Physical enough to play corner too, which is where Oklahoma will play him to start.

58. Elijah Bean, WR, Summer Creek - Baylor

Nahlin: Really good combination of size and speed. Might be a bit stiff but you expect some of that at 6-5. He’ll be a tough matchup on vertical routes because he can get open on the ground or above it.

57. Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville - Texas

Hamilton: Can’t teach these feet. Wish he was blessed with more long speed, but the feet, vision and instincts are in place to be a quality back.

Nahlin: The first clip I saw of him I thought we might be dealing with another Ronald Jones coming out of nowhere scenario but he doesn’t have Jones’ speed. He does have the more unique traits to running back you look for, however, and I bet his 10-yard split is good too.

56. Jerand Bradley, WR, DeSoto - Texas Tech

Nahlin: Moves well at his size and has enough speed to where he isn’t just a target guy at the next level. He and Jaedon Wilson at DeSoto are going to be fun to watch.

55. Raymond Gay, WR, Red Oak - Oklahoma State

Hamilton: Needless to say I’m a big fan of the latest Oklahoma State WR evaluation out of Texas nobody is talking about. Fast starter, quick in and out of breaks and can outrun angles vertically. Could play CB as well. #Bullish

54. Cole Carson, OT, Bogata Rivercrest - Arkansas

Hamilton: Love this eval by Arkansas staff. Sam Pittman knows OLs, so that makes me feel bullish on this eval. Flat footed in three-point stance, ideal hip flexibility with the ability to fire off the ball low and with balance.

Nahlin: Fits all the specs of the feel good story: “He was a lowly three-star from Colombia nobody wanted but ended up at Arkansas and became a high draft pick...”

53. Cullen Montgomery, OG, Bellaire Episcopal - Oklahoma

Hamilton: Going to play for arguably the best O-line coach in college football, and a tremendous offensive scheme. Remember that in a few years.

Nahlin: Do we give a Bill Bedenbaugh bounce in recruiting? You’re damn right we do.

52. Bryson Green, WR, Allen - Oklahoma State

Hamilton: Was elite at Deion Sanders’ Prime21 Camp a year ago. Can’t teach his size or length and has very strong hands. Lack of ideal long speed keeps him from being an elite WR prospect.

51. Matthew Wykoff, OT, Magnolia - Texas A&M

Hamilton: No. 28 on Lucci44. Two spots ahead of Vincent Young.

Nahlin: Looch originally tried to pass him off as Bruce’s long lost son Wykoff Matthews from parts unknown. Like it was a WWE bit or something. Jokes aside, Wykoff is similar to Hayden Conner in that he’s a swing player. I think he has a chance to remain at tackle, except A&M is finally recruiting tackles.

50. Kyron Drones, QB, Shadow Creek - Baylor

Hamilton: The first full class QB for Dave Aranda at Baylor. Something to lock away for future reference.

49. Lucas Coley, QB, San Antonio Cornerstone Christian - Arkansas

Hamilton: Won’t turn 18 until after he graduates. 6-foot-1.5, 203 pounds, 9.75-inch hands with agility. More importantly, he sees the field and displays nice recognition.

48. Hayden Conner, OG, Katy Taylor - Texas

Hamilton: Really wants to be a good player. Like his willingness to play anywhere Texas asks him. Add in his size, and hard to imagine Conner not impacting winning in some form or fashion on the Forty Acres.

Nahlin: The Big NASA is easy to assign to guard because of his build but go watch him run around playing tight end in 7 on 7 and you begin to wonder about offensive tackle. Like his teammate Foster, he’s a very likable kid. O-linemen are the best.

47. Javon Gipson, WR, George Ranch - Baylor

Hamilton: This is one I have pegged for a terrific senior campaign if ball is played. Elite measurables… 6-foot-2 3/8 shoes off, 81-inch wingspan, 9-inch hands and a NFL Combine like 6.91 L-cone to his credit.

Nahlin: I’ve mentioned him on Inside Texas’ Prospects Board a few times. He broke out late last year so expect a big senior season, you know, if there is a senior season. He’s a legit speed threat on the outside.

46. Kamron Scott, OT, Converse Judson

Hamilton: Feet, check. Flexibility, check. Wingspan, check. Frame, check. Will add Power 5 interest and offers. Tough luck for UTSA on a terrific early evaluation from an area prospect.

Nahlin: Loved this kid on initial watch. Think he could be a right tackle or an excellent guard. I’d like to get to know him better. Has NFL specs.

45. Hal Presley, WR, Mansfield Summit - Baylor

Nahlin: Easy guy to like on tape. Looks more explosive than other players with verified times. I think he’s not too different than J. Michael Sturdivant.

44. Jalen Kitna, QB, Burleson - Florida

Hamilton: Dan Mullen has a track record for QB evals and development. That’s good news for Kitna, who will head to Gainesville with arm talent.

Nahlin: Better athlete than advertised with tons of physical growth remaining.

43. Elijah Arroyo, TE, Frisco Independence - Miami

Hamilton: Brock Edwards’ mom wouldn’t let him go to South Beach for college. Not the case here for this talented TE prospect with the ability to win foot races against LBs.

Nahlin: Normally with tight ends you’re just excited to see fluidity but Arroyo has legitimate speed. We could be low on him here.

42. Eli Stowers, QB/ATH, Denton Guyer - Texas A&M

Hamilton: One of the better all-around athletes in the class. Will test Jimbo Fisher’s QB development, if that’s where he remains long term.

Nahlin: When I first saw him I quipped to a Big 12 coach he’s a take at tight end all the way, so as long as your quarterback numbers are all right he has a home. That was after his sophomore year where his stats didn’t align with his ability. I think he improved as a junior and will remain at QB long-term. I do wonder about fit in Jimbo’s system, but perhaps Kellen Mond will help guide a Fisher evolution.

41. J.D. Coffey, S, Kennedale - Texas

Hamilton: Feels like I first saw him in 2013, and that’s a good thing. Been a productive player since he first put on the pads for Kennedale. Similar in size to Jerrin Thompson, but doesn’t test as well.

Nahlin: I’ve used the Thompson comp as well. I tend to feel the guys who just ‘have it’ get overlooked and end up at a place like Washington (who loved Coffey) before they’re drafted in the early rounds a few years down the road. Coffey sees the field incredibly well and plays faster than he times.

40. Alton McCaskill, RB, Conroe Oak Ridge

Hamilton: Upright runner, but can’t teach what he has — size and long speed combo with impressive balance. After first watching him on tape, I tweeted that many Power 5 offers would follow Oklahoma State’s. A rare time I get to pat my back fat.

Nahlin: Fantastic build, just more for defensive back. Offensive skill marries well to the secondary but we’ll see where he ends up long term.

39. Caleb Ellis, S, Frisco Independence - Stanford

Hamilton: Stanford level intelligence, 6-foot-1, willingness to be physical, good ball skills, quick and shows enough speed. Earmarked to be underrated three years from now.

Nahlin: I never hear him mentioned among the state’s best defensive backs but his tape is very good. I love the short area quickness he turns into violence.

38. Terrell Tilmon, DE/OLB, Mansfield Timberview - Oregon

Hamilton: One Big 12 assistant has this name circled as a senior riser. Turn on the tape, and it’s easy to see why. It’s a high ceiling. Blessed with a 79-inch wingspan and 10.25-inch hands.

Nahlin: He could be an OLB but might have tremendous value at defensive end as well. Oregon has done well developing “bigs” of late.

37. Behren Morton, QB, Eastland - Texas Tech

Hamilton: Should probably be ranked top 5 because he’s a low handicap golfer, a QB, and a coach’s kid. Remember all of that if he ends up being better than many ranked ahead of him. If he makes it to the NFL, I predict a win or two in the American Century Championship.

Nahlin: Ha ha, I knew he was a multi-sport athlete but I didn’t know about golf when I mentioned he reminded me of Sam Bradford. It’s official, we have him too low. This quarterback class is loaded.

36. Morice Blackwell, OLB, Arlington Martin - Texas

Hamilton: Big fan of this LB’s ability to play in space and cover at the Power 5 level. Will strike too. All about physical development here because the tool box is full with potential.

Nahlin: Jaydon Williams might have a slightly better athletic profile but Blackwell reads the run well and plays downhill with vigor and requires less projection.

35. Jordon Thomas, DE, Port Arthur Memorial - Texas

Hamilton: Not sure he’s great at anything as a prospect, but he’s a quality edge prospect with upside. Senior film will be big coming off a season ending injury early in his junior year.

Nahlin: I’m looking forward to seeing him as a senior and think he has the chance to move up 20 spots. Barring injury, I think he’s a high floor contributor at a minimum. His best trait might be motor. Reminds me of Ta’Quon Graham. He’s moving well in camp settings.

34. Jaydon Williams, OLB, Dallas South Oak Cliff - Arizona State

Hamilton: If we knew he could drop in coverage and play in space… would be ranked higher. Love the natural pass rush ability and frame to develop. Antonio Pierce is a terrific recruiter, if anyone is in need of another opinion.

Nahlin: Huge fan of the upside and think he’s going to a staff that will develop him, assuming Antonio Pierce isn’t poached. Finding guys who can play in space isn’t easy but Jaydon puts the Will in Williams. High effort player, too.

33. Deuce Harmon, CB/N, Denton Guyer - Texas A&M

Hamilton: Poor man’s Quandre Diggs as a DB. Aggressive striker, can be terrific at nickel, good enough speed and quickness. Quality get for Texas A&M here. Checked a number of boxes at Elite Underclassmen Camp in July.

Nahlin: Middle class Quandre Diggs, but agree with everything else. Love the mental make-up which is too often overlooked.

32. Marcus Burris, DT, Texarkana Pleasant Grove

Nahlin: I like his upside and think we might have him a little too low, but health concerns are real.

31. Chris Murray, LB, Wichita Falls Hirschi - TCU

Hamilton: Let’s play a recruiting game… If Murray played at DeSoto or North Shore he would have 40 offers. Why? Because he’s got size, quick first step, strong hands, very physical on contact, can pursue, closes well and has long arms and strong hands to wrap and toss to the ground. Stock up up up if there is a senior season. I remember the many trips to see J.T. Barrett in high school at Rider High, and it’s a drive from DFW that a lot of colleges don’t make annually.

Nahlin: Sometimes I’m a Burr and Hamilton and I don’t agree so we split the difference on where we place a kid, but when it comes to Murray we’re on the same page. I think he might actually end up at DT. Value in the spin, in my opinion.

30. Andrew Mukuba, S, Austin LBJ

Hamilton: The best prospect at Austin LBJ. Natural playmaker. Can factor in return game. Like that he wasn’t as highly valued early on as many others. Keep that chip on the shoulder, and he will be an excellent player.

Nahlin: Looks like an old Duane Akina four corners safety. Coverage is the name of the game, even more than playing downhill. Mukuba profiles to having excellent coverage ability and ball skills.

29. Derrick Harris Jr., OLB, New Caney - Texas

Hamilton: Can’t teach the size and length that Harris possesses — 6-foot-3, 80-inch wingspan and 9-inch hands. Solid family too — and that can matter in talent maximization.

Nahlin: Another player who uses his length well. I never fancied him as an off-the-ball linebacker but at OLB he can blend his defensive end traits with playing in the short flat. High character; will maximize. Former swimmer with the reach to prove it. Lots of frame left to work with. His upper half hasn’t caught up to his lower half.

28. Shadrach Banks, ATH, North Shore - Texas A&M

Hamilton: A tough player to grade. Often inured, supremely talented with a body type trending to the defensive side of the ball.

Nahlin: Pure football player regardless of where he lines up. Needs to stay healthy then find his home on the college field. I have him down as a hybrid defender - part safety, part linebacker.

27. David Abiara, DE, Mansfield Legacy - Notre Dame

Hamilton: One of the more intriguing prospects in the class for me, probably because he hasn’t been seen on the national stage like others. Watch his long-arm on tape — it’s good stuff.

Nahlin: The way he uses his hands and length really stands out. He does well keeping offensive linemen off him which gives him the ability to guide them where he wants. He’ll make a lot of plays versus the run on the perimeter and has real pass rushing upside.

26. Bryce Foster, OG, Katy Taylor

Hamilton: Tape isn’t top 25-30 worthy, but experience in this business says trust the shot put and discus accomplishments. If he maximizes, a very good guard.

Nahlin: Foster is hard to evaluate. I want to see that giant, explosive bear in the throwing ring materialize on tape more often. We all know it’s there. I’ve seen him with some really good pass sets in camp settings, which, given his overall size, is big plus.

(continued below)

Last edited:

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
25. J. Michael Sturdivant, WR, Flower Mound Marcus - California

Hamilton: Seemingly runs as fast as he needs to, and plays as physical as he has to. That makes for a tough evaluation, and potentially one to miss badly on if he consistently maximizes his ability in the coming years. Checked a number of boxes at Elite Underclassmen Camp in July. And by the way, California has a very good class of offensive players.

Nahlin: My ex-step mom, a third generation Cal graduate, sent me a text: “Lots of Cal fans in my dad’s neighborhood are very happy about the new wide receiver from Texas!” I replied I’d been mentioning him for months and I was surprised Texas never offered. “Oops, too late for Texas!” Who said the West Coast doesn’t care about football? Sturdivant profiles to being a complete receiver with gamebreaking ability.

24. Cody Jackson, WR, Richmond Foster - Oklahoma

Hamilton: Another WR from Foster is headed to Norman. Don’t worry Texas fans or the returning Texas secondary, he’s not going to be on the level of CeeDee Lamb, but he’s talented enough to catch TDs in the Cotton Bowl.

Nahlin: Lamb was a grown man after the catch, Jackson uses his speed to get open and win deep. He’s not as varied as Lamb but six points is six points. He’ll be an explosive threat for an offense that can seemingly scheme anyone open it chooses to.

23. Ishmael Ibraheem, CB, Dallas Kimball - Texas

Hamilton: Body type of Joshua Moore. Feet, length and physicality to develop into a quality CB at Texas. Will depend largely on adding weight/strength and retaining his athleticism.

Nahlin: Has island corner ability. Plays with physical intent that will become more obvious as he gains mass. He’s lean and slight of build, but he isn’t weak. The real story is his feet and fluidity. The length is a nice bonus. The aggression he plays with is a good leading indicator he cares about football.

22. Reuben Fatheree II, OT, Richmond Foster - Texas A&M

Hamilton: Texas A&M has built an impressive O-line class, and this hooper turned football focused tackle has the highest upside of them all. Can’t teach a lot of what he was blessed with.

Nahlin: He’s not a dancing bear, but he’s not just a sliding wall that’s hard to get around either. He’s a bit of a combination and that makes for a good offensive tackle prospect. I think Josh Henson is a quality coach and is recruiting well in this class. A&M needed pure tackles and found a couple, including Fatheree.

21. J.J. Henry, WR, McKinney North

Hamilton: One of my favorite players in this class. Advanced route runner with near elite quickness in and out of cuts. Terrific double move WR, and ultra productive. Tested well at Elite Underclassmen Camp in July with a 4.57 forty-yard dash and a 7.1 L-cone.

Nahlin: Earle is a slot machine, and Henry is a vertical slot. You want to get him downfield and pulling safeties away from the box. He’s good at pairing his athletic traits with the ability to find open space. Get him on the same page with a quarterback and he’ll rack up big gains in a hurry.

20. Garrett Nussmeier, QB, Flower Mound Marcus - LSU

Hamilton: Love the moxie of this kid at Deion Sanders’ Prime21 last July. Competitive, fiery QB with a quick arm and advanced understanding pre-snap, as expected.

Nahlin: Quick processor, arm, and feet. Lively arm. It’s a loaded class at the position in the state and Nussmeier could emerge as the best. The margins in evaluation are small here and what separates him might be something that’s difficult to see — like his ability to read a defense. He sort of reminds me of Jarrett Lee, but I think he’ll be better.

19. Ezra Oyetade, OC, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Hamilton: At 6-foot-3 and 285 pounds, he can do one thing Eric Nahlin never could — dunk a basketball. Add in that he’s a strong-handed aggressive two-way player with good feet and flexibility, and you have one of the more under offered prospects in the Lone Star State.

Nahlin: I was closer to dunking than I was to getting into Vanderbilt, which is something else Oyetade can do. He’s a force at the position. A big concern with centers is if they can handle an interior presence 1v1. That should never be a concern with Oyetade. He’s athletic and powerful on the move, similar to your bowling ball guards. That’s also a position I think he could also play. He’s a wide player. The NFL might measure him like a refrigerator — via cubic feet.

18. Preston Stone, QB, Dallas Parish Episcopal - SMU

Hamilton: Pencil him as a three or four year starter for SMU. Checks a lot of boxes for Power 5 programs in evaluation - tall enough, good foot quickness, quick arm, strong arm and competitive. If Sonny Dykes can upgrade from Shane Buechele at SMU with Stone, chalk up a conference title or two.

Nahlin: I don’t always ding players for competing against lesser competition but it’s hard not to when we’re discussing quarterback. The windows and margin of error are bigger the poorer the competition is. It also inflates Stone’s athleticism some. That written, it’s easy to see he has a livewire for an arm and is good improvising on the move. Four years from now, NFL scouts will be saying the same thing about the American Athletic Conference I’m saying about TAPPS.

17. JoJo Earle, WR, Aledo - LSU

Hamilton: One of the best space players nationally in the 2021 class. If he maximizes as a route runner, will be a very good player in the SEC. Doubles as talented punt return prospect. Walks onto the field expecting to win, and not everyone has that mentality.

Nahlin: I’ve been a big fan of Earle’s for some time. He profiles to ‘slot machine’ - a slot receiver who does much of his damage after the catch thanks to running back ability. He’s strong, quick, and very elusive.

16. James Brockermeyer, OC, Fort Worth All Saints - Alabama

Hamilton: Tough as nails. Has gained around 30 pounds in the last year. An OL prospect that wants to play center doesn’t grow on trees. This kid is a multi-year starter that will make an entire OL better. Also has 77-inch wingspan and 9 3/4-inch hands.

Nahlin: I feel schools don’t properly prioritize the position and James having experience playing it in high school, rather than learning in college, adds value. It’s a difficult position because it coordinates so many aspects of the sport. He’s very smooth in pass protection, as you’d expect, and plays with physical intent in the run game. He’ll need to develop a lot of strength, particularly in the SEC, but when working with angles as a help blocker or climbing to the second level, he’s going to be exceptional.

15. Dematrius Davis, QB, North Shore - Auburn

Hamilton: Let me put this out there… he’s not on Kyler Murray’s level. Not athletically or as a QB. With that said, he’s a very good player with a competitive fire about him. Hard to argue with his results and production. You like everything about him except for the height and hand size, but that’s all NFL Combine chatter.

Nahlin: If I had to go win one high school football game right now, Davis would be my first pick. He’ll run for 300 one game, throw for 300 the next, while in the playoffs. I’d agree he’s not Murray as a prospect, he does see the field and anticipates similar to Murray. He might also win three state championships and go down as one of the best high school quarterbacks of all time like Murray. I’m excited about the fit at Auburn for him.

14. Camar Wheaton, RB, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Hamilton: Real speed is the name of the game for Wheaton. Can look a tad bit stiff in COD drills in a camp setting, but college coaches desire the speed at his size. Will he be the best prospect long term to come out of this Garland Lakeview Centennial class? Look up a few spots for the one I like more come NFL Combine time in a few years.

Nahlin: Clear home run hitter but will he go with the pitch and take the simple base knock when that’s all that’s there? Athleticism is much more easier to see than the three traits I look for most: feet, balance, and vision. His quickness to and through the hole is elite, though.

13. Albert Regis, DT, La Porte

Hamilton: Kendrick Blackshire is impressed with Regis’ body type. Wears a size-18 shoe, but those puppies can move. Better athlete than DT at this point, but this is the type of prospect college DT coaches love to develop. If he maximized athletically and technically, watch out. A terrific early eval by Minnesota, but they had no prayer to hold on to him.

Nahlin: He’s extremely raw from a technical standpoint. La Porte seems to prefer the novelty of a 295-pound tight end to the destruction of placing him at defensive tackle full time. The kid can move, though. He’s a very uncommon athlete at his size.

12. Sawyer Robertson, QB, Lubbock Coronado - Mississippi State

Hamilton: Will grow a mustache and be the next highly publicized QB for Mike Leach. Very good anticipation right here with the desired arm strength and feet in the pocket.

Nahlin: I think he’s the most fluid passer in the class with enough athleticism to escape pressure. Leach hasn’t had better raw materials to work with.

11. Terrence Cooks, OLB, Shadow Creek

Hamilton: So much to like about Cooks. Stands 6-foot-1.5 without shoes, 77-inch wingspan, 9.5 inch hands and dad is his strength coach. Then you turn on the film and his sideline to sideline pursuit speed is apparent. Add in the ability to develop in coverage and he is an ideal Big 12 linebacker.

Nahlin: Three ways to spot a linebacker: a big safety you spin, a thicker linebacker who moves similar to a running back, or the traditional linebacker who is athletic enough to remain at the position as he adds size. Cooks is the latter. You don’t want guys who are already 230 pounds. In fact, that’s a good stopping point after a couple of years in a program. That eventual weight looks to be about ideal for Cooks to carry. Having a father who is an S&C coach doesn’t hurt. He won’t need too much time in the incubator once he arrives to campus. What I’d like to see answered this year is his ability to diagnose. Not a big question, just the only question.

10. Jalen Milroe, QB, Katy Tompkins - Texas

Hamilton: Yes sir, no sir young man. Couldn’t be more impressed with the person. On the field, toughness, character and leadership shows up with ideal arm talent and athleticism. Make no mistake, Alabama and Auburn both tried to flip this one from Texas. And that tells you that coaches think he can fit in multiple schemes.

Nahlin: What’s not to like? He’s tough. He leads by example or vocally. He can make all the throws with ease. He doesn’t look to leave the pocket when pressure arrives, rather he steps up. Oh, and when he wants to, he’ll cook you with his legs. He’s an excellent athlete.

9. Savion Byrd, OT, Duncanville

Hamilton: Playing exclusively on the DL last season set back his development, but the quick feet, 80-inch wingspan and 10.25-inch hands make Byrd one of the country’s top OL prospects in the class. Can SMU hold off OU and Auburn for the biggest recruiting win since the Pony Express days? Or at least since Preston Stone committed.

Nahlin: He’s a tale of two football players. He looks like a middle-tier defensive line prospect, largely thanks to his size, but when you see him playing offensive tackle his athleticism is unlocked. This either suggests where his preference is or where he’s most comfortable. Probably both. That’s good, because OL is the clear projection.

8. Clayton Smith, OLB, Texas High - Oklahoma

Hamilton: I went to Texas High a couple of years ago to see their prospects, and you could see the potential ooze. Was raw in coverage at Deion Sander’s Prime21 last July, but that made me like him more. Checks a lot of boxes, including 79-inch wingspan and 10-inch hands with OLB movement skills.

Nahlin: An early favorite at IT. Smith has the movement skills of a linebacker but will grow into ideal outside linebacker size. He’s raw as a pass rusher and in coverage but his baseline talent tells the story. He might not be the pass rusher Joseph Ossai projects to be but I think he’s more comfortable in space. OU is getting a good one.

7. Landon Jackson, OLB/DE, Texarkana Pleasant Grove – LSU

Hamilton: The upside and raw ability is better than the Friday night player post injury. Love the 80-inch wingspan, 10-inch hands and frame to add bulk weight. Continuing to remain flexible with the weight gain will be key here. And by the way, his little brother looks like another one in the making.

Nahlin: I don’t think he’s anywhere close to his ceiling and a case could be made for him being as high as No. 2 on the list. He can turn the corner like a smaller outside linebacker but he brings defensive end length to the position. His frame is going to put on good, functional weight. Plays with leverage. He’s not a project but he’s also nowhere close to a finished product.

6. Billy Bowman, ATH, Denton Ryan - Texas

Hamilton: Bullish on Bowman. This is a football player, period. Whether it’s former Texas stars Quandre Diggs, or gulp, Earl Thomas, he is compared to —- this versatile playmaker will be a very good player in Austin. Elite anticipation and play finishing ball skills.

Nahlin: He’s an electric three-phase player who makes plays through a blend of athleticism and diagnostic skill. He needs to be put in a position where he can freelance some, similar to Earl Thomas playing for Will Muschamp. Whether that’s nickel or field safety won’t matter. He can cover, range, and erase space.

5. L.J. Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair

Hamilton: Wheaton got the early pub for good reason with elite speed at his size in hand, but Johnson is the most complete back in the class. This dude can handle 25-30 carries at the college level with a near ideal RB body type, physicality and vision to maximize in between the tackles.

Nahlin: Best between-the-tackles runner the state has produced in a while but he also has the explosiveness to rip off big chunks of yards. He’s a volume-back looking to enter a good situation where his workload won’t be too heavy. This will maximize his carries further.

4. Shemar Turner, DT, DeSoto

Hamilton: Could wind up a top 3 prospect in the state at the end of the day. Elite measurables at 6-foot-3.5, 80-inch wingspan and 10-inch hands with terrific feet and flexibility. If there is senior tape to be watched, expect it to be dominant at times.

Nahlin: There’s value in the spin! He’s played defensive end a lot but his body type will drive him inside. That’s a good thing for his future. Guys like Turner are not your standard big boy defensive tackles looking to plug, he’s going to get up field and wreck pockets.

3. Ja’Tavion Sanders, OLB/DE, Denton Ryan - Texas

Hamilton: Denton Ryan has versatility in spades on their roster, and this may be the best long term prospect. At 6-foot-3 without shoes, 78-inch wingspan and 10-inch hands with a nice blend of athletic ability — Texas has a commitment from the level of defensive prospect seen on teams in the 2000s in Austin.

Nahlin: Clutch player who had the look of a five-star based off sophomore tape. Could be a good college tight end or a great pro defensive end. That should make his choice of what side of the ball to play easy. Complete edge defender with ability to play big versus the run or move athletically after the quarterback.

2. Donovan Jackson, OGT, Bellaire Episcopal - Ohio State

Hamilton: The ideal guard prospect, but unreal length keeps him in play at tackle. A jaw dropping 84-inch wingspan, 10-inch hands, terrific feet, agility and flexibilityj… and throws the shot put over 53-feet. Add in super intelligent kid, and you have a near can’t miss prospect.

Nahlin: Reminds me so much of Kenyon Green, which means tackle is in play also. However, his upside as a guard long-term is massive. He’d be amazing on the pull, as well as a 10/10 pass pro blocker playing inside. But he’s athletic and long enough to play tackle, too.

1. Tommy Brockermyer, OT, Fort Worth All Saints - Alabama

Hamilton: Was the most impressive prospect on the Under Armour Camp circuit last spring - regardless of classification. Has every athletic and body type component of an elite OT prospect. Stands 6-5.5 without shoes, 80.5-inch wingspan, 10-inch hands, flexible, agile and plus plus body reactive quickness. Likes to embarrass the guy lined up across from him. Only injuries can keep Brock from being a Sunday player.

Nahlin: As an 8th grader he had the look of a high level college defensive end. Already 6-foot-5 at the time but with athletic stories of him chasing fly balls in the outfield, it was a clear he was an athlete first. As he grew into his o-line body he retained his athleticism. He’s also ahead of the technical curve thanks to his dad who picked up a ton of tricks in the NFL. He’s the Vitruvian Man LT prospect.

Last edited:

drunkhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 27, 2019
Remember the time ESPN put Sanders as the #1 QB in Texas. Thanks dad.

Fuddy

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Sep 15, 2013
Also, not a fan of Fatheree after watching him in a couple of full games. He didn't look like he wanted to be there, never played through the whistle, would ball watch while his guy made the tackle, hardly ever won reps, and after seeing some videos of him recently, I'm not sure how athletic he'll end up being ones he's filled out enough to not get driven back regularly. He has ideal length and played basketball, which is a good starting point, and potential left tackles get a positional value bump, but I'm betting he'll finish below his current rank in a redraft in five years.

UTwuz

Nov 4, 2016
Just a quick legal heads up to Clendon, now that both Eric and Gerry work under the same (virtual) roof, I expect the other sites to accuse IT of having a monopoly over the industry for recruiting analysis. And they'd win that case.

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
Trying to figure out where the “line“ is between tier one and the next tier. I kind of think it’s between Landon Jackson and Clayton Smith.

This will be the same top 3 in February, IMO.

Reactions: bHero

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
Wow I really was not expecting LJ to be this high. Getting him and Bijan in back to back classes would be amazing for UT ability to generate explosive running plays, something that has been sorely missed since D'onta left

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Surprised y'all didn't mention the obvious NFL legacy for Jalen Kitna.

With Gerry's wingspan obsession, how has he not commented on that aspect of Jordon Thomas?

Last question: if we had pushed early last year for LJ Johnson when he seemed super interested, would he have committed?

Reactions: callkevin

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
55. Raymond Gay, WR, Red Oak - Oklahoma State

Hamilton: Needless to say I’m a big fan of the latest Oklahoma State WR evaluation out of Texas nobody is talking about. Fast starter, quick in and out of breaks and can outrun angles vertically. Could play CB as well. #Bullish
I've brought him up on the board, stud.

verdammtertag

Member Who Talks
Sep 5, 2019
As an aside, SI recently ranked both Cam'Ron Valdez and JoJo Earle in its top 10 national RBs with LJ "on the bubble". I don't agree, but after a rewatch, Valdez is too low imo.

Reactions: east mall

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
19. Ezra Oyetade, OC, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Hamilton: At 6-foot-3 and 285 pounds, he can do one thing Eric Nahlin never could — dunk a basketball. Add in that he’s a strong-handed aggressive two-way player with good feet and flexibility, and you have one of the more under offered prospects in the Lone Star State.

Nahlin: I was closer to dunking than I was to getting into Vanderbilt, which is something else Oyetade can do. He’s a force at the position. A big concern with centers is if they can handle an interior presence 1v1. That should never be a concern with Oyetade. He’s athletic and powerful on the move, similar to your bowling ball guards. That’s also a position I think he could also play. He’s a wide player. The NFL might measure him like a refrigerator — via cubic feet.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden

matt103455

Jan 15, 2012
Awesome post. Makes me feel better about kids I’ve posted about in this class.

It also makes me mad about how our recruiting is going. Outside of QB and keep Connor, I’d trade offensive classes with Baylor right now.

Prospects 99, 98, and 93 are all better than Casey Cain.

If we can’t get back in with the Brocks, take Ezra and Leyrer and Scott and try to flip Jacoby Jackson. Party.

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Staff member
Sep 23, 2009
Surprised y'all didn't mention the obvious NFL legacy for Jalen Kitna.

With Gerry's wingspan obsession, how has he not commented on that aspect of Jordon Thomas?

Last question: if we had pushed early last year for LJ Johnson when he seemed super interested, would he have committed?
Haven't got a wingspan measurement on Thomas I would go with yet.

GoHornsGo90

Aug 3, 2012
Washington DC
Leyrer seems like a pretty obvious offer at this juncture given the abhorrence of OL recruiting thus far. Go ahead and offer Ezra as well, but it's probably time to set the floor at tackle assuming Byrd is a definitive no-go.

Then if Leyrer gets beaten out at tackle, which wouldn't shock me based on his film and would augur well for us because of what it means for other tackles on the roster, he can swing inside Braden Smith-style.

I'm guessing we're holding out on a few games of senior film before offering? It's logical, but you're also a prisoner to praying the HS season stays on track. Here's hoping he has a Karic-esque senior season.

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Staff member
Sep 23, 2009
surprised by Regis and, unfortunately, Ezra, rankings.
We could be wrong, but I love DT prospects like Regis. Leverage winning ability and height with enough arm length and elite athleticism once the move to full time DT transpires. All comes down to physicality to win in the trenches after that.