Interesting view on Native conflict

jmrob93

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
I was reading a couple ofbooks by Sebastian Junger( War, Tribe), an author embedded in US units in Afghansitan. Interesting take on PTSD, basically after being in combat in a trusting communal environment, soldiers struggle in the civilian world since society is so isolating and unconnected.

He spent a good deal of time investigating the idea of tribalism and the how natives lived communally. Also,how the idea of communalism is gone in modern society. He made a minor point about the demise of Indians stating that this is what happens when stone age societies come in contact with Industrial or modern societies. Thinking globally, this has happened throughout the world. So why is it racism in America, but a modernism issue when it happens in South America, Africa or Asia?

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
I was reading a couple ofbooks by Sebastian Junger( War, Tribe), an author embedded in US units in Afghansitan. Interesting take on PTSD, basically after being in combat in a trusting communal environment, soldiers struggle in the civilian world since society is so isolating and unconnected.

He spent a good deal of time investigating the idea of tribalism and the how natives lived communally. Also,how the idea of communalism is gone in modern society. He made a minor point about the demise of Indians stating that this is what happens when stone age societies come in contact with Industrial or modern societies. Thinking globally, this has happened throughout the world. So why is it racism in America, but a modernism issue when it happens in South America, Africa or Asia?
I'd ponder a guess is because here in America, we live pampered lives in the greatest, most free country in the history of world with too much time on our hands. The result is faux intellectual modern day wanna be deep thinkers that have a burning desire to feel smart, creating pretend theories or ideas primarily focused on non-existent grievances. It started slowly at first with guys like Howard Zinn, progressed to incompetent psychologists and leftist academics, move forward with modern feminism and finally on to anyone with a twitter account and no more than 3 beers in their six pack.

Or, simply put, if someone has something you think you're entitled to but do not have, it must be because they are: Racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic or took advantage of someone cheating them out of what is rightfully theirs or they used their privilege to acquire it. It's not because they are smarter, worked harder, got lucky, were more creative or out hustled you. It's not because they were holed up in their garage taking on the risk to create something great, while you sat on your ass watching Keeping Up with the Kardashians eating cheese puffs and swilling beer. It's because you're a victim.

I am about 15% sarcastic ass and 85% serious.

ole tnhorn

Jan 31, 2012
He made a minor point about the demise of Indians stating that this is what happens when stone age societies come in contact with Industrial or modern societies. Thinking globally, this has happened throughout the world. So why is it racism in America, but a modernism issue when it happens in South America, Africa or Asia?
If the demise of the American Indians happened today in any other country would it be considered racism? (Time and location) Can only whites practice racism? In South America, Africa and Asia whites aren't the majority. Are Americans the most self critical of all countries regarding racism?

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
If the demise of the American Indians happened today in any other country would it be considered racism? (Time and location) Can only whites practice racism? In South America, Africa and Asia whites aren't the majority. Are Americans the most self critical of all countries regarding racism?
Interesting question. Very likely we are the most self critical when it comes to racism. It may be due to our belief that all men are created equal, but we haven't universally practiced this for most of our country's history. Perhaps another reason is that we are the true melting pot of races. We have been criticized by many Europeans for decades for racism, but until recent years most of these countries were almost singularly "white" when it came to race. I guess it is easier to think you aren't racist when everyone looks like you. Though now when many of these countries have increased immigration of non-whites, you're starting to see them exhibiting the "racism" they have criticized us for decades.

ole tnhorn

Jan 31, 2012
It's not being self-critical, it's the standard response of leftist political hacks, and JG.
I recognize that but I thought the op posed some opportunities for interesting dialogue perhaps without all the typical pissing.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I recognize that but I thought the op posed some opportunities for interesting dialogue perhaps without all the typical pissing.
That is true, not just pissing. I have been to a lot of countries and we're, as near as I can tell, the only ones who play that card. Within our society, refer to my earlier comment.

ole tnhorn

Jan 31, 2012
That is true, not just pissing. I have been to a lot of countries and we're, as near as I can tell, the only ones who play that card. Within our society, refer to my earlier comment.
That's my observation as well. I can't think of any other country I've visited that has the amount of self loathing currently in existence in the US