Is the Texas Tech job about to come open?

Eric Nahlin

Humble Scribe
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
While doing some fact finding on the Texas coaching situation, Inside Texas/Flyover Football stumbled onto some interesting information coming out of Lubbock.

There’s a push to remove Matt Wells after only two seasons. IT asked about his $9 million buyout but was told that wouldn’t be an issue. There’s quite the appetite, especially in younger donor circles, to remove Wells and replace him with Mount Vernon High School head coach Art Briles.

Briles is somewhat hard to believe given his negligence while the head coach at Baylor.

IT asked about potential other candidates and heard the names of USC OC Graham Harrell and Baylor AHC/OLB coach Joey McGuire.

We asked about Jeff Traylor at UTSA and heard back, “They’d prefer a Tech guy.” That’s an odd constraint to put on a search, but McGuire would definitely be a great hire. That’s who Baylor should have gone with according to many knowledgeable people we talk to.

It’s understandable to speculate Sonny Dykes would be coveted, but IT hears he’s quite happy at SMU and it would take a fantastic opportunity to uproot him. He loves his current situation best we can gather.

But the bottom line is, the most heat is surrounding Briles with quality sourcing thinking it has a real chance to happen. That written, there are plenty who are skeptical Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt would sign off on it.

sherf1

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 8, 2018
While doing some fact finding on the Texas coaching situation, Inside Texas/Flyover Football stumbled on to some interesting information coming out of Lubbock.

There’s a push to remove Matt Wells after only two seasons. IT asked about his $9 million buyout but was told that wouldn’t be an issue. There’s quite the appetite, especially in younger donor circles to remove Wells and replace him with Art Briles.

Briles is somewhat hard to believe given his negligence at Baylor.

IT asked about potential other candidates and heard the names of USC OC Graham Harrell and Baylor AHC/OLB coach Joey McGuire.

We asked about Jeff Traylor at UTSA and heard back, “They’d prefer a Tech guy.” That’s an odd constraint to put on a search, but McGuire would definitely be a great hire. That’s who Baylor should have gone with according to many knowledgeable people we talk to.

It’s understandable to speculate Sonny Dykes would be coveted, but IT hears he’s quite happy in SMU and it would take a fantastic opportunity to uproot him. He loves his current situation best we can gather.

But the bottom line is, the most heat is surrounding Briles with quality sourcing thinking it has a real chance to happen. That written, there are plenty who are skeptical Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt would sign off on it.

Now, back to Herman/Urban/Texas.
Since everything is actually about Texas, Briles to Tech would provide infinite cover for anyone worried about Urban's prior indiscretions

MSFHorn

Nov 16, 2009
Keller, Texas
While doing some fact finding on the Texas coaching situation, Inside Texas/Flyover Football stumbled onto some interesting information coming out of Lubbock.

There’s a push to remove Matt Wells after only two seasons. IT asked about his $9 million buyout but was told that wouldn’t be an issue. There’s quite the appetite, especially in younger donor circles, to remove Wells and replace him with Mount Vernon High School head coach Art Briles.

Briles is somewhat hard to believe given his negligence while the head coach at Baylor.

It’s understandable to speculate Sonny Dykes would be coveted, but IT hears he’s quite happy at SMU and it would take a fantastic opportunity to uproot him. He loves his current situation best we can gather.

My Utah St associate said they hired Harrell

• Wow
Reactions: Boogieman

ole tnhorn

Jan 31, 2012
Since everything is actually about Texas, Briles to Tech would provide infinite cover for anyone worried about Urban's prior indiscretions
lol Tech fired Leach and refused to pay him because he made a kid stand in a dark shed.
Briles facilitated rape and sexual assault then covered it up.
Tech logic

Last edited:

srr50

Oct 29, 2008
Austin
There is no excuse for hiring that sociopath. Only that you are willing to sell your soul for a few wins.

coolhorn

Nov 11, 2013

Hocutt might not want to stand in the way of Briles to Tech, or he could find himself job-shopping. That's the way things roll these days.

texaslove2

Member Who Talks
Nov 6, 2016
Just now seeing this..... if I were kansas I woulda made this happen... but yeah briles at tech is no bueno

system poster

Jul 29, 2020
There's no way this happens. The same boosters that are supposedly pushing for Briles (I say supposedly because I know first hand that at least one of the guys that is usually being referenced when people talk about "young boosters" has said that Briles isn't happening) are the same guys that were pushing hard for Hocutt to bring Leach back or to hire Holgorsen in the last go round. And we saw how that turned out. Hocutt isn't going to be pushed around by these boosters, and if they have Hocutt fired, Chris Beard's buyout disappears. I don't see these boosters having the kind of pull to take down Hocutt, probably the University President as well, a number of regents, and the basketball program to bring in someone with as tarnished a reputation as Briles.

techhoopsguy

Member Who Talks
Sep 9, 2020
There's no way this happens. The same boosters that are supposedly pushing for Briles (I say supposedly because I know first hand that at least one of the guys that is usually being referenced when people talk about "young boosters" has said that Briles isn't happening) are the same guys that were pushing hard for Hocutt to bring Leach back or to hire Holgorsen in the last go round. And we saw how that turned out. Hocutt isn't going to be pushed around by these boosters, and if they have Hocutt fired, Chris Beard's buyout disappears. I don't see these boosters having the kind of pull to take down Hocutt, probably the University President as well, a number of regents, and the basketball program to bring in someone with as tarnished a reputation as Briles.
Yeah... it's not happening. 0% shot.

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
I'm happy we didn't. Let Houston continue to fund his retirement as he puts minimal effort into coaching and recruiting.
Holgo is 49 lol he isnt retiring anytime soon. The Cougs arent great but just fine this year. You happy with scoring 16 points against Kansas?

Holgo is an air raid guy who couldve at least leveraged the few advantages Tech has. Yall couldve had one of the better passing attacks in the Big 12 this year with a competent offensive coach

Reactions: wabash

system poster

Jul 29, 2020
Holgo is 49 lol he isnt retiring anytime soon.
Then I hope he enjoys being an offensive coordinator or position coach because he's about to run out of chances as a head coach. I don't disagree that hiring an air raid coach would have been a good idea, but I disagree that Holgorsen would have maximized anything. He clearly doesn't give a **** anymore and is just cashing checks.

Reactions: stilesbbq

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
Then I hope he enjoys being an offensive coordinator or position coach because he's about to run out of chances as a head coach. I don't disagree that hiring an air raid coach would have been a good idea, but I disagree that Holgorsen would have maximized anything. He clearly doesn't give a **** anymore and is just cashing checks.
Fair. Who would you have hired?

system poster

Jul 29, 2020
Fair. Who would you have hired?
At the time, I was for letting Kingsbury run it back one more year with 4/5 offensive linemen coming back, Bowman healthy, good skill position players, and the defense finally improving under Gibbs. But who knows, good possibility that if we didn't fire him, Arizona would have still hired him, and we would have been looking for a coach a couple of months later. If Kingsbury had to be fired, I would have gone with Seth Littrell with the thought that Harrell would have followed as OC. Of course, now in hindsight, Harrell might have still bailed to go to USC or been kept on at UNT as Littrell's replacement. But Littrell would have some air raid OC connection he could have taken advantage of and maximized Tech's roster in the short term. Also Sonny Dykes, but he hadn't had his breakout season yet at SMU and that may not have been palatable to the masses. I'm not a big fan of Neal Brown's offenses, but I would have preferred him to Holgorsen as well because what he seems capable of doing on defense.