K'Lavon Chaisson breaks down recruiting

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
On the field, he's chasing elusive players, but off the field, he himself is elusive, at least when he sees reporters. After North Shore's heartbreaking loss to Manvel, I didn't like my chances for a good interview with Chaisson, but I was wrong. The state's top WDE/OLB was very candid and generous with his time.

Chaisson's name is oft-affiliated with other regional schools. At the beginning of the cycle Baylor had the buzz because his father played there. Then it was LSU, then OU, then back to LSU. After making a hard charge over the last couple of months, Texas has managed its way to the heart of the recruitment and finds itself in admirable position for the 6-foot-4, 220 pounder.

On Texas picking up its recruitment:
"I mean Texas is one of those schools if they want you they're going to talk to you. They're not just one of those begging type, on you all day every day. If they want you they're going to talk to you. If they don't want you they're not going to talk to you and I like that at least they're being honest. I don't want to be fed no lies they keep it straight up with me."

On the perks of Texas:
"They have a great education, you can't miss out on the education there. The Big 12, especially for a pass rusher, that's a fun place to be."

On fit at Texas:
"I like the Fox position (same one Naashon Hughes plays). I feel like I can use my athleticism more. I can use it in many different ways, especially in a pass rush. I feel like I get off quicker -- I don't know maybe my coaches would say different -- in a two point stance. I like two-point stance better than three."

On OU and fit:
"Similar to Texas. They talk about the same type of edge position. I haven't been talking to OU a lot. I was feeling them at first but after they got the two commitments Murray and Addison I just kind of fell back because they're stacking up at that position. Honestly Oklahoma is a little far. It's hard for me to get to my family and that's one of the most important things."

When asked if Texas and LSU are his top:
"You can say that. There's some switch ups going around. USC is coming in hard, Notre Dame coming in hard. I mean, you never what can happen come early February."

On the possibility of playing with Marvin Wilson:

"We talk about it all the time. I tell him go where it best fits you and I want to play with you but at the same time I don't want you going somewhere that you're not comfortable or it doesn't fit your skill-set. Me and Marvin are close and I want to play with him. He's a phenomenal dude, personality and skill-set wise."

On what he wants to see from Texas:

"I really just want to see how my position is used. I feel like everything else is set. They have so many young pieces on the defensive side. They're gonna be a beast. On offense you got Sam -- sorry to hear about his injury -- but you got Sam coming in on the offensive side and he's bringing some dudes with him. Texas doesn't pull dudes until late signing day so you're like 'WOW' you never know who's coming. It's going to be a nice class."

Because of his somewhat sinewy build many think Chaisson may be a redshirt candidate. That may be depending on the depth chart of the school he attends, but he can definitely make an early impact. He's filling out and adding quality muscle. He'll retain his movement and flexibility at 250 pounds for sure.

A quality prospect, we'll see if Texas can keep him in-state, or if LSU or another out-of-state school can poach him.

SlickStreet

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Feb 10, 2015
LSU seems like a concern, with Wilson liking them as well and them preferring (not mandating) going to school together.
That said, we gotta feel pretty decent about our shot with both.

b_pittenger

Jan 24, 2012
Saint Paul
So....

He likes that we aren't really recruiting any other true FOXes.
He likes Strong's recruiting style.
He likes the education side.
He and Marvin are close.
Distance is probably a factor.

Go ahead and get the commitment story written, imo, unless we **** the bed from here on out. My gut says he's the type who may just pull the trigger out of nowhere. Could be next week, could be November. Amazing how much ground we've made up in this one and how quickly we did it.

WilliamsDavid

Oct 29, 2008
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
Edge pass rushers are so important to the success of this defense. As good as the Cornerbacks are on this team, they need help from the Defensive Ends, in order to better defend the pass.
"Hook Em"

ole tnhorn

Jan 31, 2012
Sounds like a bright young man. He has stated education is important and he will be a business major. Which is the better school, McCombs or The Emeril Lagasse School of hospitality?

freeman

Aug 11, 2014
Chaisson had to like what he saw from the Notre Dame game. They moved the Fox around to a bunch of different spots.
It seemed to me, when I noticed it, that we played much better defense in 3-3 than in 4-2. would you agree?

DC Horn

Oct 29, 2008
LSU seems like a concern, with Wilson liking them as well and them preferring (not mandating) going to school together.
That said, we gotta feel pretty decent about our shot with both.
Seems L$U is on the verge of implosion, for now not too worried about them.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Didn't see a ton of 4-2, unless you count sets with a 5-3-1-and then stand-up Fox in a 6 or 9.

I liked how they used the 3-3 though.
Coach V sure did not. I'm no X and O guy so I can't tell one way or the other

LonghornsLegend

Oct 29, 2008
This is setting up really nicely for us. After the last two NSDs Strong has me fairly comfortable waiting for a NSD announcement. And the Marvin Wilson stuff is playing right into our favor.

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
Question for @Eric Nahlin , @Justin Wells and @Ian Boyd.
With LSU and the Mad Hatter on a collision course after the close encounter with regime change last season?
Does that enter into the equation with all of these blue chip recruits we are trying to get?

Semper Fi

Last edited:

Selvinsankle

Oct 29, 2008
Doesn't Chaisson play the same position as Erick Fowler (WDE)? If so, I'm not so sure early PT is in K'lavon's immediate future.

freeman

Aug 11, 2014
I'm unsure, but I thought I saw 4 down linemen a couple times. It didn't work either time. They did "Psycho" a couple times didn't they?

Ghost

Member Who Talks
Aug 27, 2016
Edge pass rushers are so important to the success of this defense. As good as the Cornerbacks are on this team, they need help from the Defensive Ends, in order to better defend the pass.
"Hook Em"
That's every defense.