LSU's Low Roster Numbers

Fuddy

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Sep 15, 2013
Not sure whether this article is behind a paywall or not, but LSU only has 73 scholarship players because they've lost 11 players to attrition/opting out this offseason even after the early draft entrees are accounted for, with only one counter left to use for a transfer if they want to use it (they could decide to save it for a recruit in the 2021 class instead)

Reactions: bowman93 and bHero

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
Not sure whether this article is behind a paywall or not, but LSU only has 73 scholarship players because they've lost 11 players to attrition/opting out this offseason even after the early draft entrees are accounted for, with only one counter left to use for a transfer if they want to use it (they could decide to save it for a recruit in the 2021 class instead)

It's odd that they still have strong odds to win. I don't think many betting/computer services have appropriately factored this in yet.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
It's odd that they still have strong odds to win. I don't think many betting/computer services have appropriately factored this in yet.
They do still have two of the top five or so non-QBs in college football in Stingley and Chase, and several other elite talents. They're more shallow than usual though.

Reactions: sherf1 and bHero

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
I assume you mean that they only have one spot left in their 2020 class. If that is correct, kinda unusual to have small overall numbers when you brought in a full or nearly full recruiting class. For instance we were low in numbers in 2017, but part of the reason was that we brought in a relatively small transition recruiting class.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI

Where are the numbers worst? Like in what classes and position groups?

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Is that article paywalled? I think he goes by position group
It's not obvious to me that this is going to result in depth problems anywhere on their roster. They have a chance at a high hit rate on some of the replacements with the grad transfers at center and LB and then freshman Arik Gilbert at TE.

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Staff member
Sep 23, 2009
Very vulnerable this year.... Like OU, I can see them not wanting to play this season.
Perfect recruiting years coming for Ed Orgeron. Has NC, now can sell early PT and that he's proven he can win the SEC and NC. They want to play ... house money season on the field

Reactions: bHero and sherf1

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Hearing that Ja’Marr Chase, arguably the best non-QB in the nation, might be opting out

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I feel like things could snowball ugly if a few things go wrong early. The depth is scary. I don’t care what Ian says

Reactions: rawb_stark

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Tyler Shelvin is now opting out. One of their better players.

latx55

Mar 31, 2017
So is something wrong with LSU? Pre-covid, their losses were a lot, but understandable given where the talent was on their development timelines, but this is absurd. Has a defending national champion ever had this many defections? This isn't happening at Bama or UGA, or even Ohio State.

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
So is something wrong with LSU? Pre-covid, their losses were a lot, but understandable given where the talent was on their development timelines, but this is absurd. Has a defending national champion ever had this many defections? This isn't happening at Bama or UGA, or even Ohio State.
They've always had a leave early culture it seems to me (not a bad thing necessarily), and I would imagine with a title in the pocket and a clear down year coming there's not a whole lot of carrot to keep the players engaged?

latx55

Mar 31, 2017
They've always had a leave early culture it seems to me (not a bad thing necessarily), and I would imagine with a title in the pocket and a clear down year coming there's not a whole lot of carrot to keep the players engaged?
Maybe. It just seems wild to me that they're losing this many but Bama can keep Dylan Moses to stay.

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
Maybe. It just seems wild to me that they're losing this many but Bama can keep Dylan Moses to stay.
He was hurt last year right? And no title in the back pocket if he cares about that, which I would imagine someone that goes to Bama does as that's a big part of the pitch

latx55

Mar 31, 2017
He was hurt last year right? And no title in the back pocket if he cares about that, which I would imagine someone that goes to Bama does as that's a big part of the pitch
That's fair, this might just be unusual circumstances paired with my lingering Orgeron skepticism

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
They are going to have to play a bunch of really young guys, we at Texas know how that can go.

Reactions: sherf1