Marvin Wilson breaks down recruiting

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Marvin Wilson has been a known recruiting commodity since his freshman year when he already stood 6-foot-4, 290 pounds. Since then he's been the #1 recruit in the nation at times, and has remained a consistent five-star.

With that recognition comes a lot of demands on his time, and requires a lot of focus. Time management doesn't seem to be an issue. According to Bellaire Episcopal head coach, Steve Leisz, Marvin will be well prepared for college life, "The demands of Episcopal really prepare you for college. He goes to school, he goes to practice, and then each night he has an hour and a half of homework. We're almost like an Ivy League for high schools."

Indeed, the spawning from Episcopal will make college transition easy for Wilson, teammate Walker Little, and future college athletes like 2018 WR Jaylen Waddle. It doesn't hurt that all three already have a solid foundation and head on their shoulders.

With scholastics in good order, and a bright future in football, the question then becomes, where will Wilson land? That's a question coaches are wondering from Los Angeles to Tallahassee, and points in between.

'Points in between' could best be characterized as Texas and Texas A&M, two proximity schools Wilson visited this past weekend. Not often can a recruit make it to two games in a weekend but because of Sunday church featuring UT versus Notre Dame, Wilson was able to do so.

I caught up with him on Tuesday to get a recruiting status check.

Inside Texas: Busy weekend for you. You were able to attend A&M versus UCLA on Saturday. How did that go?

Marvin Wilson: It was great, it was a great experience. I've been up to A&M a lot. I went back up there to see how they're going to do this season. They took off on UCLA a little bit and then UCLA came back but they were still able to pull it off and get the win.

IT:
What did you think about the game day atmosphere? A&M fans are pretty rabid.

MW: Yeah, they're pretty crazy. You know, it's one of the great stadiums in the country, it was good to go out there and experience it again.

IT: Do you plan on taking an official visit there or is it too early to tell?

MW: It's too early to tell.

IT: What about UT. What stood out to you about that visit?

MW: The win over Notre Dame, that's the biggest thing that stands out. The fans, it was as packed as it's been since Charlie's been there. The double overtime win, Swoopes pulled it off. It was just a great experience, great atmosphere, being up there with other recruits it was just a great feeling.

IT: I hear there was a lot of excitement in the crowd with the recruits. What can you say about that?

MW: Actually it was good, very good little vibe going through the recruits. That game really spoke volumes to Texas recruits.

IT: Let's talk some other schools. You're often associated with FSU it seems like quite a bit. what other schools are standing out to you besides the in-state guys?

MW: Besides the in-state guys I'd probably say Florida State, USC, probably LSU and Ohio State.

IT: What schools are you for sure going to visit at this point?

MW: For sure I'll have to officially visit USC and probably FSU since they're so far away.

IT: Do you have any dates planned for officials yet?

MW: I haven't really set them in stone but I just know those schools that are far away I'll most likely have to take official visits there.

IT: And what about an announcement date? Pretty late, right?

MW:
I'll probably just hold out until National Signing Day.

With many of the state's top recruits enrolling early it will remove some of the intrigue in late January, early February, but come National Signing Day all eyes will be on squarely on Marvin Wilson and his decision.

Zombie_Slayer

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 2, 2013
It appears Charlie would like to build from the inside out. Marvin is ground zero for that philosophy. I hope we land him.

drugsdude

Oct 29, 2008
American Airlines First Class
The prospect of a monstrous combination of Wilson and Browning.... Along with what is there already

Watching Oliver this weekend, you can see the potential horror than can be inflicted on offenses.

Horn18

Mar 22, 2012
It feels pretty great to have achieved our primary (and hardest) objective in game one. Texas just needs to make sure they win the next two in respectable fashion to avoid any fluke talk. Then just take care of business in conference play. Do this and February will again be fun, and in the next recruiting class Charlie will be handing out offers like roses on the Bachelor.

CaliHorniaBoy

Mar 17, 2013
Los Angeles
It feels pretty great to have achieved our primary (and hardest) objective in game one. Texas just needs to make sure they win the next two in respectable fashion to avoid any fluke talk. Then just take care of business in conference play. Do this and February will again be fun, and in the next recruiting class Charlie will be handing out offers like roses on the Bachelor.
Yup.

The team has to keep its foot on the gas pedal. Just winning games will do, but I think we'd all prefer blowouts, especially the next two games. UTEP and Cal have no business staying in the game against all the talent this staff has accumulated.

Luckily, we know that no stage is too big for Shane. Even Ty has to be feeling pretty relieved. I don't think he'll be running against a stouter DL at the point of attack all year.

I don't see our boys dropping more than 2 games in conference so getting the next two provides the team with some insulation.

Horn18

Mar 22, 2012
Yup.

The team has to keep its foot on the gas pedal. Just winning games will do, but I think we'd all prefer blowouts, especially the next two games. UTEP and Cal have no business staying in the game against all the talent this staff has accumulated.

Luckily, we know that no stage is too big for Shane. Even Ty has to be feeling pretty relieved. I don't think he'll be running against a stouter DL at the point of attack all year.

I don't see our boys dropping more than 2 games in conference so getting the next two provides the team with some insulation.
I think as long as we win the next two, you can sell program youth for any conference loss. So, even we drop some we shouldn't but still end up with 8, we should be fine because we have already set the stage for what the future will look like. I think 9 is the new reality, 10 is certainly plausible, and 8 could happen.

Texasmade

Jan 27, 2012
Ooooooo Lawdy Lawdy Lawdy, is there ever a quote on IT that I'm going to hunt down and resurrect the day "this staff" gets Wilson in the fold.

CAN'T WAIT.
Unfortunately, he and the rest of the Houston cabal will be on suicide watch by mid November, so there's a high probability it will be all for naught.

CaliHorniaBoy

Mar 17, 2013
Los Angeles
I think as long as we win the next two, you can sell program youth for any conference loss. So, even we drop some we shouldn't but still end up with 8, we should be fine because we have already set the stage for what the future will look like. I think 9 is the new reality, 10 is certainly plausible, and 8 could happen.
That's pretty much where I'm at.

NCHorn

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
Sounds like a solid student-athlete in the real sense of the concept, always impressive. As the saying goes here, let's watch Charlie get to the Wilsons' couch and see what happens.

Nobis60

Feb 22, 2012
Unfortunately, he and the rest of the Houston cabal will be on suicide watch by mid November, so there's a high probability it will be all for naught.
After some careful consideration, it's a trade I'm willing to make.

Reactions: Texasmade

b_pittenger

Jan 24, 2012
Saint Paul
I'm gonna assume y'all land him and browning and hold out a small hope for Hines
Only thing I'm worried about is Hines looking at Wheeler and Malik and thinking "I won't play over them." The staff needs to assure him he'll play year 1 because he can help us move Malik around. I'm sure they already have but they gotta hammer it

sonofdavey

Jun 11, 2016
Only thing I'm worried about is Hines looking at Wheeler and Malik and thinking "I won't play over them." The staff needs to assure him he'll play year 1 because he can help us move Malik around. I'm sure they already have but they gotta hammer it
Well he's not going to start over Malik year 1, and I don't think it's a given he would start over Wheeler either. Best selling pitch might be how often they rotate players in and their propensity to play freshman.

Reactions: Eric Nahlin

b_pittenger

Jan 24, 2012
Saint Paul
Well he's not going to start over Malik year 1, and I don't think it's a given he would start over Wheeler either. Best selling pitch might be how often they rotate players in and their propensity to play freshman.
He could start in Malik's current position and we could move Malik into a more dynamic hybrid LB role. The possibilities there are endless

sonofdavey

Jun 11, 2016
He could start in Malik's current position and we could move Malik into a more dynamic hybrid LB role. The possibilities there are endless
What position though? Fox? Hughes will be a senior next year and best case scenario Chaisson is a true freshman. Only so many LB spots when you're running a lot of 4-2-5 and/or 3-3-5. Not to mention, where are you playing guys like Shark or Fowler?

Immediate playing time shouldn't be a make or break type deal, but perhaps it is. Just feel it's smarter to pitch that he'll get every chance to start than assuring him he'll start.