My games this weekend and a key note (big update)

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Football at its purest is finally here.

With the TX HS football season kicking off on Thursday, I've got a couple games on the agenda. (Note: my wife is due on Thursday, so if he comes on time, this will screw up everything. Ugh, children.)

Anyways, I'll hopefully be at Tyler Rose Stadium for Liberty-Eylau and Gilmer on Thursday night. It'll be nice to see Texas DL pledge Lagaryonn Carson in action.

The Texas staff saw him last week and the dude looks great. When he said he was working out all summer, he wasn't lying. LE also has a D1 OT, Franklin Smith, to keep an eye on.

At Gilmer, it's athletes as usual with Okie State pledge Lamarcus Morton, La Tech commit Kollin Hurt, and future prospects Kelton Collier (RB) and Qua Heath (DB).

This matchup never disappoints. Gilmer usually comes out on top, but I'm picking the Leopards in 2016. (Note: if my wife is in labor, I can still make this one. Delivery takes hours and Rose Stadium is only a few miles from the hospital. I'm sure she won't mind.)

On Friday, it's Tyler Lee vs Marshall. Texas targets on both sides here; Mavericks' 2018 OL Chasen Hines (Baylor, TCU offers) attended UTL and the staff is watching. RB Cam Haller (A&M baseball commit) is another to watch.

Lee has 6-foot-4, 200-pound QB Chance Amie running the show. The Red Raiders also boast 3-star senior safety Makyle Sanders, who holds offers from Memphis, Kansas, and Navy.

Both have a ton of schools looking for a big year in 2016. I haven't seen this much promise from a Tyler Lee team in years. (Note: If my son is born by now, I could probably still make this one. Anybody know where I can get one of those body strap things?)

UPDATE: Well this happened...

Alexander James Wells. Born yesterday, 5:01pm. 8 pounds, 3 ounces, 23 inches.

So I'll be at LE/Gilmer tonight. A-Dub can fit in my backpack so he'll be taking notes.

image.jpg

cordsamuels

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 6, 2013
America
Looking like I'll be in town to catch Sam take on Katy High this weekend. Let's go. Anyone else making it that way on Friday?

BEW

Mar 16, 2012
Did not know your wife was with child, Justin. Congrats on that. Don't know which hospital she will be in but as you know there is a helipad by TMF. You know what to do.

I also plan to be at the game Thursday night. Not sure how long I will stay as about once or twice a year my work just blows up for a month or so and I have to work insane hours to keep up. It picked a bad time to blow up this year. At least I am paid on a fee basis so there's that.

Wishing Jenny and little Justin, Jr. the best. Huge week for you coming up.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
I have a pretty good feel for Westlake but who should I be watching with Katy (and not necessarily just UT targets)?
The best recruit on the team is the running back, Deondrick Glass, only a sophomore. They have Rodney Anderson's "little brother" Ryder Anderson, who is a 6-6 DE committed to Arkansas. I'm not high on him right now, his movement skills haven't caught up with his body, but he'll be interesting to see in a couple years. The next Deatrich Wise? Cory Bethley's an interesting guy. Kind of a tweener at 6-1, 270 pounds, but a lot of big schools like him. In the right one-gapping system he could be a terror. Maybe the most interesting prospect to watch is ILB Breydon Boyd. He's an ILB committed to Boise State but I think he becomes a DE in college and that's a good spin if he keeps most of his athleticism while weighing over 250 pounds.

It's Katy, so they'll have a few really good players, but the balance is all quality guys who know their role in the scheme.

Reactions: sackbut horn

billu

Oct 29, 2008
Well...this happened. So I'll be at LE/Gilmer tonight. A-Dub can fit in the my backpack so he'll be taking notes.
Congrats to you and the wife. You might want to give the newbie a break on the notes for a few weeks.

JJHookem4

Oct 29, 2008
Well...this happened. So I'll be at LE/Gilmer tonight. A-Dub can fit in the my backpack so he'll be taking notes.

View attachment 9748

Alexander James Wells.

Born yesterday, 5:01pm.

8 pounds, 2 ounces, 22 inches.
8 pounds? I feel sorry for your wife.....On a serious note, congrats man. Every moment from here on out, you will cherish for the rest of your life. The hardest part is taking them to their first day of school. I cried when I took my daughter last week to 3-k.

side note: help your wife as much as possible, cause it gets hard and draining.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
I have a pretty good feel for Westlake but who should I be watching with Katy (and not necessarily just UT targets)?
Their sophomore RB who a lot of people thought was comparable to Porter last year. Not sure who is back on defense for them, but that defense last year was gnarly. Tough sledding for big Sam in Week 1.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
they have honest-to-god hospitals in bEAST Tx? for some reason i pictured an above ground swimming pool and lawn chairs.
Well, they take old ambulances out of service and park them close together in the middle of the trailer (or is it TRAYLOR) park, because they know native East Texans are more comfortable in structures on wheels.

Reactions: idighorns