"New IT" Questions

Guardere Equals Four Point O

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
A few questions that I have that others may have too.

1. What is the benefit to the subscriber by IT being tied in to ESPN? I haven't tried to access ESPN content on their site yet - will we be getting that included at the same price?

2. How are the recruiting rankings done now? I noticed the "star approach" is gone.

3. My subscription was charged on my card the other day and it still said "scout" on it. How will they know that I don't want to subscribe to scout and want to subscribe to IT?

OU sux

ClendonRoss

Co-Publisher
Aug 8, 2008
Austin, Tex.
1. What is the benefit to the subscriber by IT being tied in to ESPN? I haven't tried to access ESPN content on their site yet - will we be getting that included at the same price?
We are an ESPN affiliate site, which is simply a content-sharing arrangement. ESPN is moving to greatly improve their coverage reach into the micro markets in college football and high school recruiting coverage by affiliating with sites like Inside Texas that have both journalistically sound team sport coverage plus recruiting coverage. They are also investing serious resources in high school recruiting with the acquisition of Student Sports (and to their Nike Camps, the Elite 11, etc.) and Scouts, Inc. and putting on the Under Armour All-American game (which I believe will eventually supplant the Army game in San Antonio as the premiere high school all-star game). Plus, there is a commitment to providing high quality recruiting video. So we're really excited about the affiliation and think it will enhance Inside Texas' unique content offerings, like the weekly Inside Scoop, Coaches Corner (where Tailgater alum UTexasFootball grades all the Longhorn players performances and answers X and Os questions from members) and commentary and analysis from former Horns Pat Culpepper, James Brown and, joining us today, Drew Kelson. (We also just added Jeff Howe, who worked for TexasPrepInsider, as a recruiting reporter.)

2. How are the recruiting rankings done now? I noticed the "star approach" is gone.
What we've done in our on-site prospect database is try to give you as many different rankings for a prospect, which we think gives you a good indication of where he stands among his peers than any one ranking would give you. Also, within the ESPN recruiting database, Scouts, Inc. grades the players on a point scale rather than a star scale (see the ESPNU 150 for examples), so that's more data in determining where a particular prospect ranks.

3. My subscription was charged on my card the other day and it still said "scout" on it. How will they know that I don't want to subscribe to scout and want to subscribe to IT?
You MUST call Scout to cancel your subscription there or they will continue to auto-renew your subscription. Call them at 888-979-0979 M-F, 10-7 Central. Then around your expiration date, you'll need to enter payment information here to continue your subscription. You'll receive an email with more details on that around your expiration time.

Let me know if you have any more questions and thanks for your continued support of Inside Texas!

Vinegar Strokes

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
A few questions that I have that others may have too.

OU sux
I can't answer all of your questions but I know the answer to #3. Scout will keep automatically billing you so you will need to be proactive in not renewing with Scout (if that's what you want to do).

valleyhorn

Oct 29, 2008
McAllen
they has just renewed my subscription on 10/24 so I called and cancelled it. They said that they would not refund so I called my credit card company and had them reverse the charge. I will them subscribe to inside texas. Of course this would not work if I had renewed any earlier.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Clendon,
Just so we're clear: If we cancel our subscription with Scout today, I have access to both sites until my initial subscription runs out? In my case until August.
SA

tfh714

Oct 29, 2008
Encino, CA
Clendon,
Just so we're clear: If we cancel our subscription with Scout today, I have access to both sites until my initial subscription runs out? In my case until August.
SA

But why would you want access to that "other" site SA? ;)

SA Horn

Oct 29, 2008
ESPN Insider access?

I'm in a wait and see mode regarding my Longhorn subscriptions. I have been a longtime subscriber to both IT and Rivals. I am willing to hang with Scout to see what they come up with (they have until my renewal in January). I can see myself with anywhere from one subscription to all three.

It would sweeten the pot quite a bit if an ESPN Insider subscription were bundled with my IT subscription. I know the two year subscription rate for ESPN Insider (which is essentially an ESPN The Magazine subscription) is $30. If you can't get the subscriptions bundled, maybe it can be an optional add-on to my IT subscription. However, it would have to be at a discount off the two year rate to be considered an incentive to subscribe to IT.

Just some feedback as I determine which subscriptions to go forward with.

Keep up the good work.

ClendonRoss

Co-Publisher
Aug 8, 2008
Austin, Tex.
Hey SA. Thanks for the feedback. I can't talk about the details right now, but there are discussions going on right now with ESPN that relate to better packaging our products together. Hopefully will have something in place by the first of the year.

4ormore2orless

Oct 29, 2008
Hey SA. Thanks for the feedback. I can't talk about the details right now, but there are discussions going on right now with ESPN that relate to better packaging our products together. Hopefully will have something in place by the first of the year.
Clendon,
My understanding is right now it's a 2-fer. When my expiration date hits, IT will automatically renew. Will Scout renew as well? I'm planning on not doing anything and letting my scout stuff die it's natural death - am I right/OK with this plan?

Vinegar Strokes

Oct 29, 2008
Clendon,
My understanding is right now it's a 2-fer. When my expiration date hits, IT will automatically renew. Will Scout renew as well? I'm planning on not doing anything and letting my scout stuff die it's natural death - am I right/OK with this plan?
Scout will auto-renew. You have to call customer service and cancel your membership (if that's what you want to do).

ClendonRoss

Co-Publisher
Aug 8, 2008
Austin, Tex.
Clendon,
Actually, it's the Scout subscription that will auto-renew. We don't have your payment information, so you'll have to enter your payment information here for your subscription to continue here. So everyone who doesn't want their Scout sub to auto-renew needs to call 888-979-0979 (M-F, 10-7) or they will charge your credit card. I recommend doing it immediately so you don't forget.

4ormore2orless

Oct 29, 2008
Actually, it's the Scout subscription that will auto-renew. We don't have your payment information, so you'll have to enter your payment information here for your subscription to continue here. So everyone who doesn't want their Scout sub to auto-renew needs to call 888-979-0979 (M-F, 10-7) or they will charge your credit card. I recommend doing it immediately so you don't forget.
...thanks for the clarification........

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the reminder Clendon. I just canceled and was surprised that Scout had a very personable young lady answering the phone instead of the belligerent jackass that had been.