Ondario Robinson slowing things down

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
The Hutto Hippo defensive line took to Twitter last night to update his recruiting status:

"God has blessed me with so many great opportunities, that I need more time to think about my decision and see how things play out, so with that being said I will not be committing at halftime of the first game. My top 4 still remain the same."

This appears to have been weighing on his mind for a few days, as his note was written on the 17th but he didn't tweet until the 21st (with this new forum we can't screen cap yet but we're working on that).

On July 13th Robinson listed A&M, OU, Texas, and Arizona State in his top four. Conventional wisdom had him close to selecting the Aggies, and he still may, but he's going to give it more thought.

As with Texas, many recruits still have questions over the trajectory of A&M and Kevin Sumlin.

One thing that's hard to guage is how hard Texas has pushed for the talented strong-side defensive end. My belief for some time is if UT were to hard-sell Robinson this recruitment would get very interesting for Longhorn fans.

Robinson is a high ceiling, upside player whose best football is way down the line. He impressed at Under the Lights with his agility at 6-3, 245.

With Texas leading for Taquon Graham and being in the conversation for Robinson, Charlie Strong seems very likely to land at least one strong-side end with upside.

Horn18

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Mar 22, 2012
I read elsewhere that he's going to be at the ND game.

cordsamuels

Dec 6, 2013
America
A&M fan here. feels like charlie is setting up ondario to be a back up in the event that graham goes elsewhere by telling him "whats your hurry to commit? just see how things play out"
I saw your avatar and thought I was on twitter. I feel the same way in regards to the Graham/Robinson recruitments. You always need plan A, B, C, etc.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
A&M fan here. feels like charlie is setting up ondario to be a back up in the event that graham goes elsewhere by telling him "whats your hurry to commit? just see how things play out"
I think you are correct, Hamm put out there on 247 that it's his dad that slowed him down. Says Robinson is still all A&M, but go ahead and take that with a salt shaker considering the source. I think that's one thing where Strong has really lapped Sumlin the last two cycles. Sumlin and his staff have gone all in on primary targets and then were left with zero viable plan Bs and Cs. Strong on the other hand seems to have no problems circling back to a lot of kids late without having them feel neglected.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Out of curiosity, which A&M mod is the most accurate out of the different sites?

stringsays

Aug 23, 2016
I think that's one thing where Strong has really lapped Sumlin the last two cycles. Sumlin and his staff have gone all in on primary targets and then were left with zero viable plan Bs and Cs. Strong on the other hand seems to have no problems circling back to a lot of kids late without having them feel neglected.
yep. spot on.

Reactions: Turnbo828

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I really like the idea of this board and hopefully we get some high quality posters from other fan bases to participate. Hopefully the mods will have zero tolerance for trolling from both our fans and those of other teams.

freeman

Aug 11, 2014
I think that it's more like waiting is probably what's best for Ondario Robinson. He knows the Texas depth chart and he knows he might not have a comittable offer to Texas at the moment, but that could change. If things at A&M were really getting full at DE and LB, then maybe he should rush things, but I feel pretty sure that isn't the case. Amirite?

stringsays

Aug 23, 2016
What's the scuttlebut on JMad? Is there a chronic injury there? I know you guys holding onto him was one of the bigger bummers for us here at IT.
All I've heard is a back injury and a likely redshirt. We're pretty solid at DE this year so he can take a year to get his body right. Hoping it's not chronic because he was the only DE we signed last year. Would put us further behind.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
Hey string how's it goin breh can we call you straaaaaaang like your life is a beer commercial or what

Reactions: stringsays

JJHookem4

Oct 29, 2008
String,

Your probably better of getting some of your A&M info on here. Eric and Justin are about as fair as it is and aill always tell us exactly what is transpiring.

Last edited:

stringsays

Aug 23, 2016
Sting,

Your probably better of getting some of your A&M info on here. Eric and Justin are about as fair as it is and aill always tell us exactly what is transpiring.
i've known justin and eric for a while now...hell i'd go as far as to call them friends (despite having never met in person) they're good people.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
i've known justin and eric for a while now...hell i'd go as far as to call them friends (despite having never met in person) they're good people.
Would you still call them friends if I told you they haven't watched The Wire?

Reactions: sonofdavey

HelmetBoy

Dec 31, 2009
See, I don't see him as exclusively tied TG. Texas is going to do its best to take a full complement of defensive linemen again. Like another 3 or even 4 if Carson still looks iffy to qualify.

Strong is doing what he does - defer, evaluate, defer, evaluate, and defer. He's showing Robinson just enough interest to keep him from committing elsewhere so that he can see him play as a senior. If he likes what he sees, he'll consider taking him.

hotnickels

Sep 7, 2016
I really think this is where Strong differentiates himself. I think he evaluates players much better than other coaches.

He takes his time. He doesn't push for commits to build fake momentum when its not appearing they're doing well. And he closes better than most in the business.

Texas is looking to have a monster class and year. If they put together 8, 9 wins this year? I think they land a top 5 class. I'm still struggling to understand exactly what Sumlin is doing. Offering a lot of 3 star players, doesn't appear to be in the running for most of the top talent instate - and even if he was, he's already loaded his class with lesser talent. That really isn't going to end well in the SEC West.

What may help them out is if Les Miles continues to bomb at LSU. Might be able to get back in it for a few texas players looking for a new school.