Players of note on TX Juco rosters

Jonathan Wells

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
When preseason training camps get started and new rosters are posted online, it's always interesting to look at Juco rosters and see a lot of familiar names of guys who either didn't qualify to attend the four-year school they signed with in February, ones who left their former school after a year and are seeking to get back onto the field and rebuild their stock at the Juco level for a year or two before getting back onto a major college roster, or guys who flashed some talent in high school but a mix of academic issues, lack of elite measurables, or bad choices has left them in Juco for a second or third year with one last chance to show coaches at four-year colleges what they can do.

Here are some names that jumped out at me while looking over various Juco rosters, a few of whom may draw interest from Texas or its Big 12 rivals this fall or next.

Kilgore College
RB Tyreik Gray (Houston Bellaire Episcopal/Houston Lamar/Houston) - was a top-10 in-state RB in the 2015 class, IMO. Signed with Houston, played in one game as a true freshman before leaving the program last November.
WR Cameron Fisher (Bay City) - was a legit TE/WR prospect as a 10th/11th grader at Brazosport, if I remember right. Transferred to a bad Bay City team and didn't do much as a senior. Thought he had potential back then. He's a soph at Kilgore CC now.
WR Zecharius Nash-Kelly (Round Rock) - 6'2" but without breakaway speed, liked what I saw of him in H.S. though. Had 1,170 receiving yards over his last two seasons.
DB Edward Hayes (Coldspring-Oakhurst) - A promising safety recruit, signed with UL-Lafayette this year but apparently didn't qualify.

Blinn College
QB Aaron Sharp (Humble Summer Creek/UCLA) - A 200m state champion as a JR (he beat Antwuan Davis and Robbie Rhodes) and lefty QB who put up great passing numbers but didn't run a lot in HS. Not sure when he left UCLA.
RB D'Anthony Hopkins (Cuero) - Insanely productive RB in HS who signed with UTSA in 2015 but didn't qualify. Good speed for a 6'2" 220 guy.
WR Dandre Reed (San Antonio Churchill) - Speedy 5'9" 175-lb guy who played both RB and WR and produced some 2,400 total yards over his last two seasons. A 2016 grad, I thought he was one of SA's most underrated recruits.
TE Devonaire Clarington (more high schools than @Justin Wells) - Every subscriber here knows his saga
TE Johnathan Thomas (Montgomery) - Good two-way TE who I liked as a blocker and caught 25 passes for 350 yards and 8 TDs as a senior in 2014. Height may have limited his offers, listed at 6'2" 240. Played in 7 games for Blinn last year but didn't catch a pass.
OT Hanner Shipley (Marble Falls/LSU/ACU) - Enrolled early at LSU in 2015, transferred to Abilene Christian in August 2015 and played in six games there. Now listed as a 6'5" 300-lb OT.
DT Javier Edwards (Aldine Davis) - enormous D-lineman, listed at 6'3" 320, former teammate of Texas LB Jeffrey McCulloch; credited with 29 total tackles for Blinn in 2015.
LB Thomas Hutchings (Cedar Park) - Was one of the state's best LBs as a senior, lack of prototypical size (5'10" 205) for the position probably contributed to his lack of offers. Was a RB for Blinn last year but is listed at LB now. @Ian Boyd was President of his fan club.
LB Norman Reeves (Schertz Clemens) - was an athletic safety in high school who I thought was slow to diagnose plays and took some bad angles as a JR but improved a lot as a SR. He was a DB for Blinn as a freshman last year, now listed as a 6' 200 LB. In H.S. he put up good shuttle times and could do a 10' broad jump.
DB Kendall Sheffield (Fort Bend Marshall/Alabama/WilliamsDavid's fantasy team) - Elite hurdler in HS and former five-star CB who left Alabama this month.

Navarro College
QB Kenneth Arthur (South Oak Cliff) - good high school player, I saw him throw at the 2013 Dallas Elite 11 camp. I asked if he was related to SOC alum and NBA player Darrell Arthur, he said he didn't know.
QB Devlin Isadore (Aldine Eisenhower) - I remember him being on the recruiting radar in HS. Was Navarro's primary QB in 2015, completed just under 55% of his passes for 2,173 yards, 20 TDs and 10 INT.
RB Xavier Turner (Birdville) - Gained over 6,000 yards from scrimmage and scored at least 96 career TDs in HS. Had decent size at 5'10" 200-210 pounds but better football speed than track speed. Signed with Incarnate Word in 2014 but didn't qualify. Rushed 64 times for 377 yards at Navarro in 2014, wasn't on the roster in 2015, now is back with the team.
WR Sabian Cannon (Austin McCallum) - Explosive playmaker from under-recruited Austin ISD. Dual-threat QB in HS who rushed for over 3,600 yards and 46 TDs in his last two seasons. Signed with D2 Midwestern State in 2015, now listed as a 6'2" 195-lb RS-Fr.
WR Juanya Pyburn (Blooming Grove) - 2016 grad one of my favorite under-the-radar guys in that class. 6'3" 225, played mostly RB in HS for a 3A school, was named area player of the year in both football and basketball as a senior, also triple jumped 44 feet in track. Nephew of former Texas A&M/NFL receiver Bethel Johnson. Could easily grow into a TE.
OL Cody Hayes (Fort Worth Eastern Hills/Texas Tech) - Took 2nd in the 4A shot put at the state track meet as a senior, signed with Texas Tech in 2013, reportedly had an OU offer. Left Tech in 2014 or 2015 and spent 2015 at Navarro, reportedly signed with UNT in February but is back on the Navarro roster instead. Recently turned 21, not sure how much eligibility he has left.
DL James Judie (Temple) - a high-ceiling DE who Texas had interest in for the 2014 class but he couldn't qualify. Now listed at 6'5" 285.
CB Benjie Franklin (Alief Taylor) - Three-star 2016 recruit, reported to have a Texas offer. Pretty sure @Eric Nahlin was a big fan.
CB Kenan Ivy (Lancaster) - 2016 Baylor signee
CB Darrell Miller (Cedar Hill/Tennessee) - former three-star CB who signed with Tennessee in 2015, played in 5 games that fall, then left the program earlier this month.

Tyler Junior College
OL Jack Berry (Burleson Centennial) - Heard good things about him from one of his HS coaches, think he was a RT then. Listed at 6'5" 320 now.
OL Marvis Brown III (Little Cypress-Mauriceville) - 2015 grad, was committed to SMU at one time but eventually signed with Texas Southern. Started at right tackle for TSU as a true freshman but the coaching staff was fired after that season and he transferred to TJC. Listed at 6'4" 310, has already been offered by UNT and Arkansas State.
LB Bryce Hines (Keller Fossil Ridge) - I thought he was a rangy and good tackling LB in HS, was surprised he didn't get offers. Redshirted in 2015 when TJC had several older and talented players at the position, now a redshirt FR, listed at 6'2" 235.
S DaQuaylyn Thomas (Arlington Martin) - was a speedy but undersized LB in HS, 5'10" 200, will play as an in-the-box safety for Tyler JC

Last edited:

Ian Boyd

Jan 14, 2014
Ann Arbor, MI
OT Hanner Shipley (Marble Falls/LSU/ACU) - Enrolled early at LSU in 2015, transferred to Abilene Christian in August 2015 and played in six games there. Now listed as a 6'5" 300-lb OT.
That kid...the last to realize where his body was inevitably taking him. I bet he could do damage now that he's an OL though.
LB Thomas Hutchings (Cedar Park) - Was one of the state's best LBs as a senior, lack of prototypical size (5'10" 205) for the position probably contributed to his lack of offers. Was a RB for Blinn last year but is listed at LB now. @Ian Boyd was President of his fan club.
My boy!
Hope he gets some offers off this soph LB tape. I bet he wil.

matt103455

Jan 15, 2012
And stronger than a brick-sh*thouse.
I'm sure. I was wrong though, he's at LA Tech with his brother. I'm not sure if they signed him or walked on. Good for him. I noticed Carter McCown was still on TJC's roster too.

BEW

Mar 16, 2012
I Understand DeAndre ended up not going TJC but not sure

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
I'm sure. I was wrong though, he's at LA Tech with his brother. I'm not sure if they signed him or walked on. Good for him. I noticed Carter McCown was still on TJC's roster too.
He's probably a walk-on.

McCown is out for the year with another knee injury.

Reactions: bisonesque

sonofdavey

Jun 11, 2016
Probably a little premature for this take, but I think Sharp should get on the QB to WR train. Saw him run at the Texas Relays twice and from what I remember he's bigger than Heard and with much better track speed. Not sure what his football speed is like exactly, or if he can catch, but with his size and athleticism he could cause some problems out wide.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
When preseason training camps get started and new rosters are posted online, it's always interesting to look at Juco rosters and see a lot of familiar names of guys who either didn't qualify to attend the four-year school they signed with in February, ones who left their former school after a year and are seeking to get back onto the field and rebuild their stock at the Juco level for a year or two before getting back onto a major college roster, or guys who flashed some talent in high school but a mix of academic issues, lack of elite measurables, or bad choices has left them in Juco for a second or third year with one last chance to show coaches at four-year colleges what they can do.

Here are some names that jumped out at me while looking over various Juco rosters, a few of whom may draw interest from Texas or its Big 12 rivals this fall or next.

Kilgore College
RB Tyreik Gray (Houston Bellaire Episcopal/Houston Lamar/Houston) - was a top-10 in-state RB in the 2015 class, IMO. Signed with Houston, played in one game as a true freshman before leaving the program last November.
WR Cameron Fisher (Bay City) - was a legit TE/WR prospect as a 10th/11th grader at Brazosport, if I remember right. Transferred to a bad Bay City team and didn't do much as a senior. Thought he had potential back then. He's a soph at Kilgore CC now.
WR Zecharius Nash-Kelly (Round Rock) - 6'2" but without breakaway speed, liked what I saw of him in H.S. though. Had 1,170 receiving yards over his last two seasons.
DB Edward Hayes (Coldspring-Oakhurst) - A promising safety recruit, signed with UL-Lafayette this year but apparently didn't qualify.

Blinn College
QB Aaron Sharp (Humble Summer Creek/UCLA) - A 200m state champion as a JR (he beat Antwuan Davis and Robbie Rhodes) and lefty QB who put up great passing numbers but didn't run a lot in HS. Not sure when he left UCLA.
RB D'Anthony Hopkins (Cuero) - Insanely productive RB in HS who signed with UTSA in 2015 but didn't qualify. Good speed for a 6'2" 220 guy.
WR Dandre Reed (San Antonio Churchill) - Speedy 5'9" 175-lb guy who played both RB and WR and produced some 2,400 total yards over his last two seasons. A 2016 grad, I thought he was one of SA's most underrated recruits.
TE Devonaire Clarington (more high schools than @Justin Wells) - Every subscriber here knows his saga
TE Johnathan Thomas (Montgomery) - Good two-way TE who I liked as a blocker and caught 25 passes for 350 yards and 8 TDs as a senior in 2014. Height may have limited his offers, listed at 6'2" 240. Played in 7 games for Blinn last year but didn't catch a pass.
DT Javier Edwards (Aldine Davis) - enormous D-lineman, listed at 6'3" 320, former teammate of Texas LB Jeffrey McCulloch; credited with 29 total tackles for Blinn in 2015.
LB Norman Reeves (Schertz Clemens) - was an athletic safety in high school who I thought was slow to diagnose plays and took some bad angles as a JR but improved a lot as a SR. He was a DB for Blinn as a freshman last year, now listed as a 6' 200 LB. In H.S. he put up good shuttle times and could do a 10' broad jump.
DB Kendall Sheffield (Fort Bend Marshall/Alabama/WilliamsDavid's fantasy team) - Elite hurdler in HS and former five-star CB who left Alabama this month.

Navarro College
QB Kenneth Arthur (South Oak Cliff) - good high school player, I saw him throw at the 2013 Dallas Elite 11 camp. I asked if he was related to SOC alum and NBA player Darrell Arthur, he said he didn't know.
QB Devlin Isadore (Aldine Eisenhower) - I remember him being on the recruiting radar in HS. Was Navarro's primary QB in 2015, completed just under 55% of his passes for 2,173 yards, 20 TDs and 10 INT.
RB Xavier Turner (Birdville) - Gained over 6,000 yards from scrimmage and scored at least 96 career TDs in HS. Had decent size at 5'10" 200-210 pounds but better football speed than track speed. Signed with Incarnate Word in 2014 but didn't qualify. Rushed 64 times for 377 yards at Navarro in 2014, wasn't on the roster in 2015, now is back with the team.
WR Sabian Cannon (Austin McCallum) - Explosive playmaker from under-recruited Austin ISD. Dual-threat QB in HS who rushed for over 3,600 yards and 46 TDs in his last two seasons. Signed with D2 Midwestern State in 2015, now listed as a 6'2" 195-lb RS-Fr.
WR Juanya Pyburn (Blooming Grove) - 2016 grad one of my favorite under-the-radar guys in that class. 6'3" 225, played mostly RB in HS for a 3A school, was named area player of the year in both football and basketball as a senior, also triple jumped 44 feet in track. Nephew of former Texas A&M/NFL receiver Bethel Johnson. Could easily grow into a TE.
OL Cody Hayes (Fort Worth Eastern Hills/Texas Tech) - Took 2nd in the 4A shot put at the state track meet as a senior, signed with Texas Tech in 2013, reportedly had an OU offer. Left Tech in 2014 or 2015 and spent 2015 at Navarro, reportedly signed with UNT in February but is back on the Navarro roster instead. Recently turned 21, not sure how much eligibility he has left.
DL James Judie (Temple) - a high-ceiling DE who Texas had interest in for the 2014 class but he couldn't qualify. Now listed at 6'5" 285.
CB Benjie Franklin (Alief Taylor) - Three-star 2016 recruit, reported to have a Texas offer. Pretty sure @Eric Nahlin was a big fan.
CB Kenan Ivy (Lancaster) - 2016 Baylor signee
CB Darrell Miller (Cedar Hill/Tennessee) - former three-star CB who signed with Tennessee in 2015, played in 5 games that fall, then left the program earlier this month.

Tyler Junior College
OL Jack Berry (Burleson Centennial) - Heard good things about him from one of his HS coaches, think he was a RT then. Listed at 6'5" 320 now.
OL Marvis Brown III (Little Cypress-Mauriceville) - 2015 grad, was committed to SMU at one time but eventually signed with Texas Southern. Started at right tackle for TSU as a true freshman but the coaching staff was fired after that season and he transferred to TJC. Listed at 6'4" 310, has already been offered by UNT and Arkansas State.
LB Bryce Hines (Keller Fossil Ridge) - I thought he was a rangy and good tackling LB in HS, was surprised he didn't get offers. Redshirted in 2015 when TJC had several older and talented players at the position, now a redshirt FR, listed at 6'2" 235.
S DaQuaylyn Thomas (Arlington Martin) - was a speedy but undersized LB in HS, 5'10" 200, will play as an in-the-box safety for Tyler JC
LOL!!!!!!!!!! After years of you correcting me on minute details you forget Jhavonte Dean from Blinn????? He's committed to ALABAMA. Haha ahaha ha. YEEEEEEEEES.

How does it feeeeeeeeeeeeeel?

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Probably a little premature for this take, but I think Sharp should get on the QB to WR train. Saw him run at the Texas Relays twice and from what I remember he's bigger than Heard and with much better track speed. Not sure what his football speed is like exactly, or if he can catch, but with his size and athleticism he could cause some problems out wide.
I remember when he ran at Texas camp going the summer before his senior year. We all just looked at each other going WTF? Here's one of the fastest guys in the entire state and he never ran the ball. Such an odd thing to see. Go make plays, dude.

He should have switched long ago. I was saying that his senior year. He might have been offered as a WR for Texas had he been willing to move. They liked him.

Beautiful to watch him run.

I hope you dad's well.

Reactions: Burnt 4 Life

sonofdavey

Jun 11, 2016
I remember when he ran at Texas camp going the summer before his senior year. We all just looked at each other going WTF? Here's one of the fastest guys in the entire state and he never ran the ball. Such an odd thing to see. Go make plays, dude.

He should have switched long ago. I was saying that his senior year. He might have been offered as a WR for Texas had he been willing to move. They liked him.

Beautiful to watch him run.

I hope you dad's well.
Good chance he could've ran the 200/400 somewhere. I thought UCLA would switch he and/or Asiantii Woodard to WR. Both those guys have transferred so maybe they tried, and failed, to do just that.

He's doing well, thanks. We'll see if Kenny Trill continues that or changes it.

Reactions: Eric Nahlin

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
LOL!!!!!!!!!! After years of you correcting me on minute details you forget Jhavonte Dean from Blinn????? He's committed to ALABAMA. Haha ahaha ha. YEEEEEEEEES.

How does it feeeeeeeeeeeeeel?
Haha! I guess I should have known Blinn had a guy committed to Alabama, but his name didn't jump out at me when I saw it. He was a three-star south Florida kid who signed with Cincinnati out of high school in 2015, not someone I was familiar with at all. Plenty of other prominent ones I probably didn't mention, was just going through some who I was a fan of when they were in HS, and others people on the board may have known about.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Good chance he could've ran the 200/400 somewhere. I thought UCLA would switch he and/or Asiantii Woodard to WR. Both those guys have transferred so maybe they tried, and failed, to do just that.

He's doing well, thanks. We'll see if Kenny Trill continues that or changes it.
TCU's going to kill it.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
I have them winning the Big 12. We'll see if I know what I'm talking about or if I'm just too biased to pick ou
I'm all over them to win it. @Ian Boyd too. Minimal drop off on offense, crazy fast defense.

Two Big12 teams can beat them: OU and Texas, but only because of the run game. TCU lacks size up the gut but they have less holes than other schools.

OL is a question but that offense will mitigate it.

Reactions: Ian Boyd

Ash Legend

Feb 7, 2009
Blinn won 55-0.

Stats:

Sharp: 4-5, 46 yards, 1 td (also 23 rushing yards

D'anthony Hopkins: 3 rushes, 15 yards, 2 tds

Dandre Reed: 3 receptions, 59 yards, 1 td

Devonaire Clarington: 1 catch, 1 yard

Kendall Sheffield: 36 yard punt return td

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jonathan Wells

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
If Kennys head is screwed on right (and I think it is) then he's a damn good QB

Really hope he does well this year.
I disagree. Think the circumstance has to be ideal for him to succeed.

He's got the tools, it's everything else I'm worried about.

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
Trinity Valley and Navarro played a high-scoring 46-41 game last Saturday (TVCC won). Appearing in Trinity Valley's column on the game's stats page were:
Da'Quan Patton - Former Cedar Park Vista Ridge LB/S who went Juco after graduating in 2015 and is currently committed to Cal. He had 10 tackles and 1 sack last Saturday.

Alex Funches - An undersized DE at Denton Ryan who graduated in 2014 and bulked up a bit at the Juco level and has been committed to Cal since July. He had 10 tackles and 2 sacks last Saturday.

Patrick Peek - three-star safety from Aledo who signed with New Mexico in February. He recorded 6 tackles and a forced fumble in the game.

Jalen Guyton - former four-star WR from Allen who signed with Notre Dame in 2015 and redshirted last fall but was suspended from the program last December and transferred afterwards. He caught 5 passes for 159 yards and 1 TD against Navarro.

Jovan Pruitt - former highly-rated OL from Dallas Bishop Dunne who had some legitimate interest from Texas as I recall but signed with Arkansas in 2014, but didn't qualify. He was listed as one of the game's participants.

Michael Curtis - a two-star QB in the 2015 class who stupidly decided to transfer from Richardson to Prime Prep before his senior season. I liked his junior year work and he might have had some decent FBS offers if he'd just stayed at his old school. He completed 13 of 22 for 233 yards and 3 TDs.

Sekou Clark - a three-star DE from Denton Ryan who signed with Vanderbilt in the 2014 class but never saw the field in two years there. Pretty sure he's a redshirt sophomore this year, just turned 20 in late May. He had 3 tackles vs. Navarro.

Terrence Potts - a prolific tackler and very under-the-radar linebacker in the 2014 class who I wrote about at IT 3 years ago this month, and a name I'd all but forgotten. He attended Trinity High, not to be confused with Euless Trinity. Was credited with 147 tackles and 15 TFL as a senior, and I'd barely heard a word about him since. He had 6 tackles and 1 TFL last Saturday.

Marvin Terry - was an all-everything DE/OLB from South Oak Cliff who committed to Missouri but didn't sign after being arrested multiple times on assault charges in the month or so before 2016's Signing Day. He was listed as one of Trinity Valley's participants but did not record any defensive stats.

Reactions: sonofdavey