Prospect Factory series-DFW

wabash

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Apr 3, 2017
Over the past three years the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex averaged 112 FBS signees per recruiting class. That number would put the DFW Metroplex above the state of Ohio, who produced an average of 106 FBS signees during the same three-year period. DFW alone would rank as the 5th best "state" in the country when it comes to FBS talent production over that timeframe.

Simply put, in a state that produces high level football prospects better than any other, Dallas takes the regional crown for having the most talent to be scouted. Houston is close behind with an average of 99.3 FBS signees during the same period.

I wanted to find out which schools and areas in the metroplex did the best job of producing D1 talent within a four-year sample size. In addition to examining their track records, I also wanted to see how the respective prospect conveyor belts were shaping up in the 2022 season. Therefore, I made the call to use the 2019-2021 recruiting classes in addition to the 2022 class which is sure to fluctuate on a school by school basis as we learn more about this crop of rising seniors.

Another reason I used a four-year window to measure success was to ensure that the rankings actively were reflecting the volatile shifts in the HS to D1 pipeline based on new coaching hires, demographic shifts, school district rezoning, and dry stretches/surges by random schools.

I wanted the point system I used to measure schools in this exercise to be fairly simple so I decided to give 1 point for each confirmed FBS signee, 1 point for a 2022 player with a 247 composite rating and P5 offer, and .8 points for each 2022 prospect with a FBS offer that wasn't ranked.

For example if we used the 2016-2019 window, Sachse would have been No. 3 with a score of 15.4, now the Mustangs are tied for 34th in the DFW area during this 2019-2022 window with a score of 4. This score along with increased scores of Garland and Garland Lakeview Centennial help show us how the talent in Garland ISD is being distributed evenly across the area instead of being hoarded at Sachse.

On the flip side Red Oak is right outside the top 15 this year with a score of 6, while the 2016-2019 cycle would have seen them get a score of 0. This coincides with legendary TXHSFB coach Chris Ross taking over Red Oak in 2018. In the four years prior to Ross arriving, Red Oak was 5-35 and in the two years Ross spent at Red Oak the Hawks went 20-4 and are on their way to establishing themselves among the giants in South Dallas.

Speaking of South Dallas, after doing this research it's clear the best talent in the region resides on the southside. Six of the 11 schools listed are located in South Dallas, including a remarkable four of the top five. With Red Oak on the rise don't be surprised if next year's list has seven or more South Dallas squads represented.

In total I checked 61 high schools across the DFW area that I felt had a chance to potentially crack the top 20 to make sure I was doing my due diligence, but no matter how many schools I check I'm sure eventually during this series I'll miss one simply because of how many great programs there are across Texas.

While I considered weighting the score to give more points to schools that produced higher level talent, I wanted to stick with the "factory" analogy at the end of the day and reward whoever was able to get the most dudes off the assembly belt and onto the next level. If you have any suggestions for this extremely arbitrary ranking system, hop in the DM and let me know what you think.

####

T10. South Grand Prairie Warriors

SGP might be a surprise addition to casual fans of TXHSFB considering the Warriors haven't made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs since 1999. However SGP has a proven track record of producing D1 talent, most notably 2000 5 star WR BJ Johnson and 2017 5 star CB Jeff Okudah. South Grand Prairie's HC job is currently open after former HC Brent Whitson left for Denison, making this one of the most coveted jobs available in the state.

T10. Frisco Lone Star Rangers

When Jeff Rayburn took over the Lone Star Rangers in 2013, the school was in it's 4th year of existence and had a record of 11-20 on the football field. Since then the Rangers are 82-22 including a state title game appearance in 2015. The uptick in success on the field along with demographic shifts in Frisco have resulted in the Rangers bursting onto the recruiting scene. 2020 WR Marvin Mims was recently ranked the No. 6 returning WR in the country per PFF College.

9. Denton Ryan Raiders

Fresh off of a 5AD1 state title in 2020, the Denton Ryan Raiders now boast a remarkable 72-4 record in the past 5 years. Of the 11 schools on this list Denton Ryan is also the most likely of any to capture a state championship in 2021. 2020 ATH Drew Sanders and 2021 ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders give Denton Ryan the sole lead in five-star prospects during this four-year window. The lack of a FBS signee in 2019 hampered Denton Ryan in these (arbitrary) rankings, but make no mistake, the Raiders will climb in next year's edition of this series led by 2023 blue chip ILB Anthony HIll.

Ryan-PF2021.png

8. Denton Guyer Wildcats

Denton Guyer shared the same misfortune as their cross-town rival of not having a FBS signee in the 2019 class, but the Wildcats more than made up for it with four Power 5 signees in the 2020 class alone. Guyer will have to rebuild quickly after losing 10 D1 signees in the past two seasons, but a solid 2022 class plus a 2023 safety duo with multiple P5 offers already signal that the Guyer pipeline isn't going away anytime soon.

Guyer-PF2021.png

T6. Dallas South Oak Cliff Golden Bears

SOC Head Coach Jason Todd is one of the most criminally underrated HC's in TXHSFB. The Reginald Samples disciple is 55-18 in his six years at the helm of SOC, including an 11-1 record in the 2018 season where the lone loss was a 28-14 playoff game to eventual state champ Aledo. SOC is by far the smallest school (1,285 enrollment) on this list and is shockingly close to the 4A enrollment cutoff number of 1,227. Even with the disadvantages of small numbers and limited funding from DISD, South Oak Cliff still looks on pace to average 10+ FBS signees over this four-year cycle making them my No. 1 pound-for-pound Prospect Factory in DFW.

DOC-PF2021.png

T6. Allen Eagles

From the smallest school on the list in SOC to the biggest high school in the state in Allen (6,959). The 2010's were the decade of Allen in TXHSFB. Four 6A State Titles, the Kyler Murray experience, No. 1 recruit in the nation Greg Little, and the construction of a $60 Million, 18,000-person capacity Allen Eagle Stadium in 2012 garnered national headlines. In recent years the Eagles have looked a bit off, losing in the 3rd round and 2nd round of the playoffs in back-to-back years along with the 2020 class not having a P5 signee. While 98 percent of programs would look at Allen's past two seasons as "first world problems", the mini slump is still notable. 2022 OL Neto Umeozulu is still criminally underrated by recruiting services, and should see his stock continue to rise as we get closer to NSD.

5. Lancaster Tigers

Lancaster is currently the best job open in Texas. The 5A school borders on the Division I/Division II divide with 2,105 students and boasts one of the best athletic departments in the state with elite basketball and track teams. Former HC Chris Gilbert left Lancaster for an off field role at the University of Texas, but before he left for the next level he completely elevated the expectations and ceiling for the Tigers. During Gilbert's tenure Lancaster made their first ever state title appearance and won an outright district title for the first time since 1960. While Gilbert's school record 88 wins might not be topped by the next HC, whoever it is has a great opportunity to compete for playoff success with very talented athletes. 2022 WR Stephon Johnson continues to pick up major P5 offers, including recent opportunities from USC and Oregon.

Lancaster-PF2021.png

4. DeSoto Eagles

DeSoto's seven FBS signees in the 2021 class will tie them with local rival Duncanville for top honors in the state in 2021, and the nine P5 signees gives them the most in the Metroplex during this period. By all indications "DeSoto U" is a few more 2022 kids getting offered away from the No. 2 spot on this list, having as many FBS signees as Beltline rival Cedar Hill (13) from 2019-2021. 2023 WR Johntay Cook is DeSoto's highly sought after underclassman with offers from Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma.

DeSoto-PF2021.png

3. Southlake Carroll Dragons

If you're a TXHSFB novice, before you read anything else take a moment to familiarize yourself with one of the most iconic state championship matchups in recent memory. Riley Dodge has done a tremendous job in a short amount of time getting Carroll back to the elite category where they belong, including a herculean effort by the entire coaching staff to get the Dragons to the 2020 6AD1 Title game with only 3 returning starters from the previous year. While the No. 1 player in the country for 2022 QB Quinn Ewers gets the majority of the headlines for the Dragons, the primary reason SLC is in the top 3 of these rankings is the 2020 class which was tied with Alvin Shadow Creek for top marks in the state with six FBS signees (I gave Cinque Williams .25 as a way to acknowledge he was a longtime Hawaii commit, without changing the rankings).

Southlake Carroll-PF2021.png

2. Cedar Hill Longhorns

Cedar Hill's 2020 6AD2 State Runner-up season was the best for the ‘Horns since architect of the TTHL mantra, Joey McGuire, left for the college ranks. The Longhorns are one of the more consistent producers of talent across the state of Texas and their score could see an uptick after Deion Sanders left Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill (TCCH's score using this point system was only a 7 even with the ability to openly recruit). 2023 QB Cedric Harden Jr. looks like the next starting QB for CH, and has a great chance to join the ranks of former Longhorn QBs Avery Davis, Kaidon Salter, and Justin McMillan at the next level.

1. Duncanville Panthers

It's hard to believe that this upcoming season will be Reginald Samples' 7th year at Duncanville. Samples is known as “The Godfather” in DFW and for good reason. In stops at Dallas Lincoln, Dallas Skyline, and now Duncanville, Coach Samples has a 298-85 record with multiple title game appearances. He also developed a coaching tree that rivals any other active coach in TXHSFB. In a short time Duncanville went from a school that hadn’t won a district title since 2002 to a state title contending squad that puts so many kids into college football that they decided to self stylize the program as “D1ville.” Duncanville’s 24.6 score and their potential trajectory in these rankings can be contextualized in comparison to Georgia blue blood Grayson HS, who registered a score of 23.2 led by a 2019 class that had 12 FBS signees. D1ville ain’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

Honorable Mention:
12. Aledo-8.8
13. Dallas Skyline-8
14. Frisco Reedy-8
15. Arlington Martin-7
16. Highland Park-6.8

Pound4Pound Honorable Mention:
1. 3AD1 Brock-5.8!!
2. 4AD1 Argyle-6
3. 4AD1 Midlothian Heritage-3
4. 4AD1 Melissa-2.8
5. 4AD2 Celina-2

Last edited:

wabash

Apr 3, 2017

Before anyone comes in here with Reggie Samples slander reminder that this happened to them JQJ Junior year and his senior year he tore his ACL in the playoffs
Dallas Lincoln- Kilgore returns a blocked FG to win the game in OT

Dallas Skyline- 2011 State Semifinal where SLC recovers an onside kick that only goes 8 yards. 2014 Semifinal they have an 18 point lead on Kyler and Allen!!

Duncanville- see above clip

He is clearly one of the best coaches in Texas and like you said, a couple bad breaks away from one of the great legacies in TXHSFB. I really hope he gets one before it's all said and done

Reactions: timeontarget

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
Kudos for an excellent study. Not really surprising except Southlake was a bit higher than I expected.

If you do this again in the future and want to do more work (LOL), including FCS signees would be interesting.

Not for you, but it would be very interesting if one had the data of where every signee attended school in the 8th grade (in that ISD or not).

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Kudos for an excellent study. Not really surprising except Southlake was a bit higher than I expected.

If you do this again in the future and want to do more work (LOL), including FCS signees would be interesting.

Not for you, but it would be very interesting if one had the data of where every signee attended school in the 8th grade (in that ISD or not).
I really considered adding FCS signees and maybe just making them .6 points or something, but it was just too hard to track down every kid for 60+ schools without significant errors. Eventually I might make a "DeMarco Roberts rule" where a high level txhsfb player that signs for a FCS school gets counted, but I figured to pass on that this time around.

Thanks for the kind words @stevehorn !

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Here is a look at Blue Bloods Highland Park and Aledo who barely missed out on the Top 10. For those with limited txhsfb experience, Aledo dominates the 5AD2 classification and has a state record 10 State Titles while Highland Park is tied for 4th all time with 6 State Titles.

Blue bloods-PF2021.png

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
As far as schools to look out for as sleepers in the future

I'll get accused of pandering to @rawb_stark , but like I said in the OP what Chris Ross and now Michael Quintero have done at Red Oak is one of the best stories in TXHSFB. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up being a legitimate contender in the future and I'm fairly confident they'll be on this list next season.

Red Oak-PF2021.png

It might take awhile longer, but eventually I think Garland Lakeview Centennial is going to get close to the top 10. They are starting to churn out high quality players on a year by year basis and already have a DUDE in 2023 DE Trey Wilson.

Garland Lakeview Centennial-PF2021.png

Last edited:

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Great research.
Missing '22 Omari Abor at Duncanville. He's pretty amazing.
I knew I would miss somebody, but Abor is literally one of my favorites in the 2022 class! Thank you for the catch, I’ll edit the OP.

Reactions: TayWalk

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I'll get accused of pandering to @rawb_stark , but like I said in the OP what Chris Ross and now Michael Quintero have done at Red Oak is one of the best stories in TXHSFB. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up being a legitimate contender in the future and I'm fairly confident they'll be on this list next season.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008

You hit it on the head, always follow the coaching changes for your future sleepers (and also ones that may be about to fall off).

Reactions: wabash

michaelloughry

Member Who Talks
Sep 10, 2016
Looks to me that if you live in Fort Worth, and you want to play football, you should move. Birdville ISD used to produce some players back in my day (80's) but that doesn't even seem to be the case anymore. FWISD has been absent from competitive football for as long as I can remember.

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Looks to me that if you live in Fort Worth, and you want to play football, you should move. Birdville ISD used to produce some players back in my day (80's) but that doesn't even seem to be the case anymore. FWISD has been absent from competitive football for as long as I can remember.
My best guess is that most FW kids that move for football either head to Aledo, Southlake Carroll, or go to FW All Saints/FW Nolan. Former state title winning coach Todd Peterman is now at FW Brewer on the northwest side of town, and I know they have a pretty talented group of younger kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ktown777

dos bobby

Jan 22, 2010
Back Porch, Selma Texas
Urban Flight. It has wrecked inner city school's athletic programs.

Reactions: unichorn and wabash

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Talking about inner city schools made me want to highlight the encouraging signs in 2022 for Dallas Skyline.

Skyline-PF2021.png

Reactions: stilesbbq

panther52

Member Who Talks
Oct 9, 2016
Until the mid-1970s, Paschal would open against Highland Park every year. It was competitive for decades, then quickly (circa FW Southwest H.S. opening) become a pointless mauling.

What impressed me is that the SOC Bears and Skyline from the DISD remain on the list.

dos bobby

Jan 22, 2010
Back Porch, Selma Texas
Until the mid-1970s, Paschal would open against Highland Park every year. It was competitive for decades, then quickly (circa FW Southwest H.S. opening) become a pointless mauling.

What impressed me is that the SOC Bears and Skyline from the DISD remain on the list.
The great Fort Worth Kirkpatrick teams, before the school closed, were stuff of legend. State Champs in the old Prairie View League, and then a powerhouse in the UIL after segregation ended. They also had tremendous Sprint Relay teams.

2cjchap

Mar 6, 2021
Yeah Denton Ryan actually Denton County is Definitely beast mode. They have Denton Ryan, Denton Guyer, Frisco Lone Star, Frisco, Prosper, Celina, Argyle, Pilot Point, Lewisville, Hebron,, and I think Southlake Carroll all in the same county! Honestly, I hate to say it as a Texas fan......but Drew Sanders from 2020 Denton Ryan was the better Sanders at both Offense and Defense although Jatavian is no slouch. He signed with Bama though, he was one of the most dominant players I’ve ever watched , although, he was more dominant at LB than QB/RB/WR/TE wth!

Last edited:

foxraider

Sep 6, 2016
This is a fascinating piece. Really nice work here. I grew up in DFW (NE Tarrant) and came through high school just as the DISD schools began to see some of their talent base migrate south to Cedar Hill, Duncanville, DeSoto, etc. Always found it interesting how drastically different the quality of play was between the Tarrant County schools (outside of Southlake/Grapevine/Colleyville/HEB) and literally everyone else in DFW.

dakthedoog

Feb 26, 2021
Over the past three years the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex averaged 112 FBS signees per recruiting class. That number would put the DFW Metroplex above the state of Ohio, who produced an average of 106 FBS signees during the same three-year period. DFW alone would rank as the 5th best "state" in the country when it comes to FBS talent production over that timeframe.

Simply put, in a state that produces high level football prospects better than any other, Dallas takes the regional crown for having the most talent to be scouted. Houston is close behind with an average of 99.3 FBS signees during the same period.

I wanted to find out which schools and areas in the metroplex did the best job of producing D1 talent within a four-year sample size. In addition to examining their track records, I also wanted to see how the respective prospect conveyor belts were shaping up in the 2022 season. Therefore, I made the call to use the 2019-2021 recruiting classes in addition to the 2022 class which is sure to fluctuate on a school by school basis as we learn more about this crop of rising seniors.

Another reason I used a four-year window to measure success was to ensure that the rankings actively were reflecting the volatile shifts in the HS to D1 pipeline based on new coaching hires, demographic shifts, school district rezoning, and dry stretches/surges by random schools.

I wanted the point system I used to measure schools in this exercise to be fairly simple so I decided to give 1 point for each confirmed FBS signee, 1 point for a 2022 player with a 247 composite rating and P5 offer, and .8 points for each 2022 prospect with a FBS offer that wasn't ranked.

For example if we used the 2016-2019 window, Sachse would have been No. 3 with a score of 15.4, now the Mustangs are tied for 34th in the DFW area during this 2019-2022 window with a score of 4. This score along with increased scores of Garland and Garland Lakeview Centennial help show us how the talent in Garland ISD is being distributed evenly across the area instead of being hoarded at Sachse.

On the flip side Red Oak is right outside the top 15 this year with a score of 6, while the 2016-2019 cycle would have seen them get a score of 0. This coincides with legendary TXHSFB coach Chris Ross taking over Red Oak in 2018. In the four years prior to Ross arriving, Red Oak was 5-35 and in the two years Ross spent at Red Oak the Hawks went 20-4 and are on their way to establishing themselves among the giants in South Dallas.

Speaking of South Dallas, after doing this research it's clear the best talent in the region resides on the southside. Six of the 11 schools listed are located in South Dallas, including a remarkable four of the top five. With Red Oak on the rise don't be surprised if next year's list has seven or more South Dallas squads represented.

In total I checked 61 high schools across the DFW area that I felt had a chance to potentially crack the top 20 to make sure I was doing my due diligence, but no matter how many schools I check I'm sure eventually during this series I'll miss one simply because of how many great programs there are across Texas.

While I considered weighting the score to give more points to schools that produced higher level talent, I wanted to stick with the "factory" analogy at the end of the day and reward whoever was able to get the most dudes off the assembly belt and onto the next level. If you have any suggestions for this extremely arbitrary ranking system, hop in the DM and let me know what you think.

####

T10. South Grand Prairie Warriors

SGP might be a surprise addition to casual fans of TXHSFB considering the Warriors haven't made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs since 1999. However SGP has a proven track record of producing D1 talent, most notably 2000 5 star WR BJ Johnson and 2017 5 star CB Jeff Okudah. South Grand Prairie's HC job is currently open after former HC Brent Whitson left for Denison, making this one of the most coveted jobs available in the state.

T10. Frisco Lone Star Rangers

When Jeff Rayburn took over the Lone Star Rangers in 2013, the school was in it's 4th year of existence and had a record of 11-20 on the football field. Since then the Rangers are 82-22 including a state title game appearance in 2015. The uptick in success on the field along with demographic shifts in Frisco have resulted in the Rangers bursting onto the recruiting scene. 2020 WR Marvin Mims was recently ranked the No. 6 returning WR in the country per PFF College.

9. Denton Ryan Raiders

Fresh off of a 5AD1 state title in 2020, the Denton Ryan Raiders now boast a remarkable 72-4 record in the past 5 years. Of the 11 schools on this list Denton Ryan is also the most likely of any to capture a state championship in 2021. 2020 ATH Drew Sanders and 2021 ATH Ja'Tavion Sanders give Denton Ryan the sole lead in five-star prospects during this four-year window. The lack of a FBS signee in 2019 hampered Denton Ryan in these (arbitrary) rankings, but make no mistake, the Raiders will climb in next year's edition of this series led by 2023 blue chip ILB Anthony HIll.

Ryan-PF2021.png

8. Denton Guyer Wildcats

Denton Guyer shared the same misfortune as their cross-town rival of not having a FBS signee in the 2019 class, but the Wildcats more than made up for it with four Power 5 signees in the 2020 class alone. Guyer will have to rebuild quickly after losing 10 D1 signees in the past two seasons, but a solid 2022 class plus a 2023 safety duo with multiple P5 offers already signal that the Guyer pipeline isn't going away anytime soon.

Guyer-PF2021.png

T6. Dallas South Oak Cliff Golden Bears

SOC Head Coach Jason Todd is one of the most criminally underrated HC's in TXHSFB. The Reginald Samples disciple is 55-18 in his six years at the helm of SOC, including an 11-1 record in the 2018 season where the lone loss was a 28-14 playoff game to eventual state champ Aledo. SOC is by far the smallest school (1,285 enrollment) on this list and is shockingly close to the 4A enrollment cutoff number of 1,227. Even with the disadvantages of small numbers and limited funding from DISD, South Oak Cliff still looks on pace to average 10+ FBS signees over this four-year cycle making them my No. 1 pound-for-pound Prospect Factory in DFW.

DOC-PF2021.png

T6. Allen Eagles

From the smallest school on the list in SOC to the biggest high school in the state in Allen (6,959). The 2010's were the decade of Allen in TXHSFB. Four 6A State Titles, the Kyler Murray experience, No. 1 recruit in the nation Greg Little, and the construction of a $60 Million, 18,000-person capacity Allen Eagle Stadium in 2012 garnered national headlines. In recent years the Eagles have looked a bit off, losing in the 3rd round and 2nd round of the playoffs in back-to-back years along with the 2020 class not having a P5 signee. While 98 percent of programs would look at Allen's past two seasons as "first world problems", the mini slump is still notable. 2022 OL Neto Umeozulu is still criminally underrated by recruiting services, and should see his stock continue to rise as we get closer to NSD.

5. Lancaster Tigers

Lancaster is currently the best job open in Texas. The 5A school borders on the Division I/Division II divide with 2,105 students and boasts one of the best athletic departments in the state with elite basketball and track teams. Former HC Chris Gilbert left Lancaster for an off field role at the University of Texas, but before he left for the next level he completely elevated the expectations and ceiling for the Tigers. During Gilbert's tenure Lancaster made their first ever state title appearance and won an outright district title for the first time since 1960. While Gilbert's school record 88 wins might not be topped by the next HC, whoever it is has a great opportunity to compete for playoff success with very talented athletes. 2022 WR Stephon Johnson continues to pick up major P5 offers, including recent opportunities from USC and Oregon.

Lancaster-PF2021.png

4. DeSoto Eagles

DeSoto's seven FBS signees in the 2021 class will tie them with local rival Duncanville for top honors in the state in 2021, and the nine P5 signees gives them the most in the Metroplex during this period. By all indications "DeSoto U" is a few more 2022 kids getting offered away from the No. 2 spot on this list, having as many FBS signees as Beltline rival Cedar Hill (13) from 2019-2021. 2023 WR Johntay Cook is DeSoto's highly sought after underclassman with offers from Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma.

DeSoto-PF2021.png

3. Southlake Carroll Dragons

If you're a TXHSFB novice, before you read anything else take a moment to familiarize yourself with one of the most iconic state championship matchups in recent memory. Riley Dodge has done a tremendous job in a short amount of time getting Carroll back to the elite category where they belong, including a herculean effort by the entire coaching staff to get the Dragons to the 2020 6AD1 Title game with only 3 returning starters from the previous year. While the No. 1 player in the country for 2022 QB Quinn Ewers gets the majority of the headlines for the Dragons, the primary reason SLC is in the top 3 of these rankings is the 2020 class which was tied with Alvin Shadow Creek for top marks in the state with six FBS signees (I gave Cinque Williams .25 as a way to acknowledge he was a longtime Hawaii commit, without changing the rankings).

Southlake Carroll-PF2021.png

2. Cedar Hill Longhorns

Cedar Hill's 2020 6AD2 State Runner-up season was the best for the ‘Horns since architect of the TTHL mantra, Joey McGuire, left for the college ranks. The Longhorns are one of the more consistent producers of talent across the state of Texas and their score could see an uptick after Deion Sanders left Trinity Christian-Cedar Hill (TCCH's score using this point system was only a 7 even with the ability to openly recruit). 2023 QB Cedric Harden Jr. looks like the next starting QB for CH, and has a great chance to join the ranks of former Longhorn QBs Avery Davis, Kaidon Salter, and Justin McMillan at the next level.

1. Duncanville Panthers

It's hard to believe that this upcoming season will be Reginald Samples' 7th year at Duncanville. Samples is known as “The Godfather” in DFW and for good reason. In stops at Dallas Lincoln, Dallas Skyline, and now Duncanville, Coach Samples has a 298-85 record with multiple title game appearances. He also developed a coaching tree that rivals any other active coach in TXHSFB. In a short time Duncanville went from a school that hadn’t won a district title since 2002 to a state title contending squad that puts so many kids into college football that they decided to self stylize the program as “D1ville.” Duncanville’s 24.6 score and their potential trajectory in these rankings can be contextualized in comparison to Georgia blue blood Grayson HS, who registered a score of 23.2 led by a 2019 class that had 12 FBS signees. D1ville ain’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

Honorable Mention:
12. Aledo-8.8
13. Dallas Skyline-8
14. Frisco Reedy-8
15. Arlington Martin-7
16. Highland Park-6.8

Pound4Pound Honorable Mention:
1. 3AD1 Brock-5.8!!
2. 4AD1 Argyle-6
3. 4AD1 Midlothian Heritage-3
4. 4AD1 Melissa-2.8
5. 4AD2 Celina-2
I'm fairly new to UT football having come over from UW when Coach K (and Sark) got hired. I previously lived in Texas, for a short time, but not long enough to know which schools across the state are the producers of talent. I've been trying to learn which ones to specifically look out for each year, and I have to say this thread is unbelievably helpful to a UT newb like myself.

Are there any threads like this for other metro areas across the state...Houston, Austin, and SA...am I missing any?

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
I'm fairly new to UT football having come over from UW when Coach K (and Sark) got hired. I previously lived in Texas, for a short time, but not long enough to know which schools across the state are the producers of talent. I've been trying to learn which ones to specifically look out for each year, and I have to say this thread is unbelievably helpful to a UT newb like myself.

Are there any threads like this for other metro areas across the state...Houston, Austin, and SA...am I missing any?
I’m just finishing up the Houston edition of this series this week, and after that I’ll have articles on Central Texas (Austin and San Antonio) along with East Texas!

system poster

Jul 29, 2020
FWISD doesn't prioritize athletics at all. It has some of the lowest coaching salaries in the state and at least when I was in school there, required head football coaches to teach classes, which I understand is unusual in the surrounding suburbs. And then when parents at some of the more well-off schools like Arlington Heights and Paschal wanted to contribute financially for facilities upgrades, they were blocked by the district. When I played at Paschal, we had complete and utter incompetence on the coaching staff, and whenever anybody with any coaching talent came through, they were quickly plucked away by higher paying districts. And more recently, the most talented players tend to wind up at All Saints for their junior and senior seasons. A lot of schools aren't going to be good just based on demographics, but there are some where that shouldn't be an issue.

odoyle rules

Member Who Talks
Jun 20, 2020

View attachment 74266

It might take awhile longer, but eventually I think Garland Lakeview Centennial is going to get close to the top 10. They are starting to churn out high quality players on a year by year basis and already have a DUDE in 2023 DE Trey Wilson.

View attachment 74267
Agree w/ you about Red Oak. Also the Mansfield schools.

odoyle rules

Member Who Talks
Jun 20, 2020
@wabash a study on inner-city Dallas/Houston schools and the talent difference between 20 years ago and now would be extremely interesting. Just throwing that out there lol.

Abe Lemons

Feb 28, 2012
Yeah Denton Ryan actually Denton County is Definitely beast mode. They have Denton Ryan, Denton Guyer, Frisco Lone Star, Frisco, Prosper, Celina, Argyle, Pilot Point, Lewisville, Hebron,, and I think Southlake Carroll all in the same county! Honestly, I hate to say it as a Texas fan......but Drew Sanders from 2020 Denton Ryan was the better Sanders at both Offense and Defense although Jatavian is no slouch. He signed with Bama though, he was one of the most dominant players I’ve ever watched , although, he was more dominant at LB than QB/RB/WR/TE wth!
Add FM Marcus to Denton County

Last edited:
Reactions: timeontarget

timeontarget

Jan 27, 2018
Allen is insanely big. I knew they were big, but I didn't realize they were 3 big schools combined big.

Neto does look like the best OL prospect by a notable margin.