Ranking Big 12 QBs

sherf1

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 8, 2018
In 2018 Iowa State averaged 26.8 ppg, PFPurdy had 10.2 ypa.
Hakeem Butler had 60 catches for 1318 yards
In 2019 Iowa State averaged 32.2 ppg, PFPurdy had 8.4 ypa
Deshaunte Jones had 76 catches for 877 yards
in 2020 Iowa State averaged 32.9 ppg, PFPurdy had 7.5 ypa
Xavier Hutchinson had 64 catches for 771 yards

The WR talent is the crucial factor. If Hutchinson makes a leap and becomes more explosive than the offense will surge ahead. Look at how they've maintained progress on offense every year despite losing explosiveness every year in the passing game after losing Butler.
For sure, I've made the comparison between Purdy era ISU and 2018 Texas and I think it holds up well. But even if everything goes well, they're a high floor but low ceiling team, but with a turnover prone QB instead of Sam. They're a good measuring stick for Texas because they exhibit competence and high quality scheme in every facet, but their ceiling will always be limited. If they beat us, it's because we're not that good, basically. Which has proven excruciatingly accurate the last two years.

Reactions: tglover13

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
For sure, I've made the comparison between Purdy era ISU and 2018 Texas and I think it holds up well. But even if everything goes well, they're a high floor but low ceiling team, but with a turnover prone QB instead of Sam. They're a good measuring stick for Texas because they exhibit competence and high quality scheme in every facet, but their ceiling will always be limited. If they beat us, it's because we're not that good, basically. Which has proven excruciatingly accurate the last two years.
If they paired a senior PFPurdy, this improving OL, and then a Hakeem Butler-caliber WR then their ceiling goes up one more time.

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
In 2018 Iowa State averaged 26.8 ppg, PFPurdy had 10.2 ypa.
Hakeem Butler had 60 catches for 1318 yards
In 2019 Iowa State averaged 32.2 ppg, PFPurdy had 8.4 ypa
Deshaunte Jones had 76 catches for 877 yards
in 2020 Iowa State averaged 32.9 ppg, PFPurdy had 7.5 ypa
Xavier Hutchinson had 64 catches for 771 yards

The WR talent is the crucial factor. If Hutchinson makes a leap and becomes more explosive than the offense will surge ahead. Look at how they've maintained progress on offense every year despite losing explosiveness every year in the passing game after losing Butler.
Playoff team Iowa State huh

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
If they paired a senior PFPurdy, this improving OL, and then a Hakeem Butler-caliber WR then their ceiling goes up one more time.
Don't disagree, I just don't see that jump happening from Hutchinson personally, but that's probably colored partly by the egg he laid against us this year.

apl817

Jul 27, 2020
Everyone seems pretty bullish on Thompson/Card. I think it's generally pretty rare for a first year starter to come in and be a top 3 QB in the league, if it does happen generally it's mixed with fantastic scheme and rare ability. (like Rattler) Especially when there are other QBs of equal talent and significantly more experience.

I think Im more interested in seeing Hudson Card play. Thompson is kind of like Duggan 2 years ago IMO.

Reactions: Ian Boyd

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Everyone seems pretty bullish on Thompson/Card. I think it's generally pretty rare for a first year starter to come in and be a top 3 QB in the league, if it does happen generally it's mixed with fantastic scheme and rare ability. (like Rattler) Especially when there are other QBs of equal talent and significantly more experience.

I think Im more interested in seeing Hudson Card play. Thompson is kind of like Duggan 2 years ago IMO.
Duggan is generous, they’re the same age, might end up being accurate though.

Reactions: apl817