Rating the new emoticons

editionshield

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
:) -- too "have a nice day" simple. liked the guy with the big grin from the old board better.

:)>- -- a nice addition, particularly for us left-leaning peacemongers.

:-S -- i kinda like this guy. paranoid little bugger, ain't he?

:-@-- decent enough, but i tend to never use these types, because by definition this is pretty much ALL that any of us are doing on any post....

:( -- meh.

:eek: -- double-meh.

:confused: -- triple-meh.

:mad: -- acceptable. might be nice if there were steam coming out of his ears or something.

:p -- the pink/purple tone makes it a little to, uh, "unmanly". there's another one in this new set that serves the purpose better: :p

;) -- i dunno, some of these guys just seem a little disturbed.

:D -- ok, that's a keeper.

:rolleyes: -- not bad. could use a little animation in the eye-rolling, but acceptable.

:cool: -- the side-angle mouth throws it off. turns joe-cool into joe-dingus.

:eek: -- pretty good. not sure if it's better than the old bug-eyes but the gaping mouth is a nice touch.

:-B -- NOW we're talking. very useful for threads involving referees.

=)) -- good,but maybe so over-the-top as to warrant only very rare usage...

^:)^ -- if you're the "we're not worthy" type, helpful i suppose. never did care much for the wayne's-worldisms myself.

**== -- what, no texas flag? :p

general observation: nix on the pastel colors. basic yellow is best in the vast majority of cases....

this has been a public service announcement.

Last edited:

dnddavis

Oct 29, 2008
Edition, how you do dat? Seems that while you're critiquing emoticons (half of which I can't find), I'm floundering around trying to learn how to get them into the body of a thread instead of beside the title. Help.

And sure would like to substitute a horns-up for that thumbs-up thing.

amykros

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Edition: Thanks for the color commentary on the Emoticons. I will try to freshen these up in the next week or so.

ClendonsWife

Vinegar Strokes

Oct 29, 2008
Edition, how you do dat? Seems that while you're critiquing emoticons (half of which I can't find), I'm floundering around trying to learn how to get them into the body of a thread instead of beside the title. Help.

The faces below the body of your post are for the title line but the faces to the right of the body are for the body of the post.

editionshield

Oct 29, 2008
don't mean to be critical! :) mostly just having fun with it. have sorta been curious as to how other folks were taking to the new options, though.

for all i know, they might give you entirely different responses to everything i said above. if there's one thing folks who post here agree on, it's that we never agree on anything. ;)

Vinegar Strokes

Oct 29, 2008
:mad: -- acceptable. might be nice if there were steam coming out of his ears or something.

:p -- the pink/purple tone makes it a little to, uh, "unmanly". there's another one in this new set that serves the purpose better: :p
I think the red guy would need ears to have anything coming out of them.

And there are some women on the board (two I know of with Clendonswife and mytopia) so they might get more use out of that purple face.

Come to think of it, did ladyhorn make the move?

editionshield

Oct 29, 2008

hey dnd,

i'm guessing, from what your note says above, that you might not have discovered the area in the "User CP" (i.e. user control-panel, where you can set preferences and such) which allows you to change your posting-screen to allow for more user-friendly posting.

if i'm right and you haven't done that yet, try this:

1. click on "User CP" (top left of screen, at far left end of menu bar)
2. in the left-hand column, under "Settings & Options", click on "Edit Options"
3. scroll way down to the bottom of the page to the box that says "Miscellaneous Options". you'll notice there are three choices: "Basic Editor", "Standard Editor" and "Enhanced Interface". switch that to "Enhanced Interface".
4. make sure to click the "Save Changes" button just below that.

if you do that, you should find that the next time you post, the screen you'll get has more options, and they'll also be more intuitive (like the smilies being simple drag-and-drops).

if you'd already set that option to "Enhanced Interface" previously, though, then i guess i'm of no use! hopefully that'll help, though.

dnddavis

Oct 29, 2008
edition, wow, there's a whole new world out there with "tools" and "smilies" hadn't activated. Funny, pm'ed Clendon just this morning because was wondering why only had the title box, message box, and title emoticons.

Wonder if anybody else is in that "basic editor" mode, too, like I was? Thanks so much, edition. :)>-^:)^:)

editionshield

Oct 29, 2008
i think everyone's was set to basic when things were first transferred over.

i posted a note about how to switch to "enhanced" in the first day or so after the transfer, and i think Hookem77 probably did too -- but it was hard to keep up with all the new-tech-oriented threads that weekend. (not to mention the ugly distraction of the tech game.)

anyhow, yeah, i had the same reaction when i figured it out. it was like, "oh, THERE'S what i was looking for!"

(sorry, had to go back and steal the big-grin smiley from the old board....)

tfh714

Oct 29, 2008
Encino, CA
i think everyone's was set to basic when things were first transferred over.

i posted a note about how to switch to "enhanced" in the first day or so after the transfer, and i think Hookem77 probably did too -- but it was hard to keep up with all the new-tech-oriented threads that weekend. (not to mention the ugly distraction of the tech game.)

anyhow, yeah, i had the same reaction when i figured it out. it was like, "oh, THERE'S what i was looking for!"

(sorry, had to go back and steal the big-grin smiley from the old board....)
edition, were you able to import Mr. Big-Grin permanently or did you just copy/paste him on a one-time basis? I like a lot of things about this Board better than the Scout site except for the emoticons, which were better, IMO, over there. Funny the things we grow to depend on...:D

editionshield

Oct 29, 2008
edition, were you able to import Mr. Big-Grin permanently or did you just copy/paste him on a one-time basis? I like a lot of things about this Board better than the Scout site except for the emoticons, which were better, IMO, over there. Funny the things we grow to depend on...:D
i had to go call up the old board (yech!) and grab it.

not sure if clendonswife et al can import that emo (or others from the old site) as permanent fixtures here. i've never really been clear whether smileys are proprietary or public-domain. (maybe some of both.)

i agree though that big-grin dude was a good-un. he was one of the ones i really liked when we switched from the older scout board to the current one.

just don't put NTH in charge of emoticons. we'd hit overload and blow every circuit! :eek:

tfh714

Oct 29, 2008
Encino, CA
i had to go call up the old board (yech!) and grab it.

not sure if clendonswife et al can import that emo (or others from the old site) as permanent fixtures here. i've never really been clear whether smileys are proprietary or public-domain. (maybe some of both.)

i agree though that big-grin dude was a good-un. he was one of the ones i really liked when we switched from the older scout board to the current one.

just don't put NTH in charge of emoticons. we'd hit overload and blow every circuit! :eek:

I also liked Mr. Tongue-Sticking-Out:
, Mr. Rolley-Eyes:
and Mr. Bug-Eyes:
from the Scout Site better. And of course, there was Mr. Angry-Guy:
(or is he Mr. Asian Guy??) If emoticons are proprietary, I have now knowingly infringed Scout's rights multiple times, and may be sending future posts from the pokie.

WoLF2001

Oct 29, 2008
Texas
pretty lame..but there is plenty out there if Mrs.Clendon sees fit to put them in.

Plz don't ban me Ma'am...:(