Recommendations for Dealey Plaza?

Shane3

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Feb 17, 2015
Gonna be there Saturday. This will most likely be my last visit to TX so I want to walk the grassy knoll.

What are the other “must see” things in and around Dealey Plaza?

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Gonna be there Saturday. This will most likely be my last visit to TX so I want to walk the grassy knoll.

No offense, but I can think of millions of better ways to spend my last time in Texas. To my knowledge there is pretty much absolutely nothing in Dallas that is "must see" except for the Texas-ou game, and you'll be there at the wrong time.

EDIT: Of course my 'last time in Texas' will almost certainly be the day I die, so I guess compared to that Dealey Plaza may not suck so much.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
No offense, but I can think of millions of better ways to spend my last time in Texas. To my knowledge there is pretty much absolutely nothing in Dallas that is "must see" except for the Texas-ou game, and you'll be there at the wrong time.

EDIT: Of course my 'last time in Texas' will almost certainly be the day I die, so I guess compared to that Dealey Plaza may not suck so much.
I’m just curious. I still remember the day JFK was killed.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Time is starting to dull the interest in that place. When I first moved back to Dallas 23 years ago, when I went by there, there were lots of tourists and people milling about the place. Someone was selling tacky souvenirs too.

I was through there a couple of weeks ago, and there was almost no sign it was anything other than another street in downtown.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Oh I remember it too. But I saw him alive in Fort Worth that morning so I've never wanted visit the 'scene of the crime'. Plus, for people of my generation and older who grew up in Fort Worth, it was pretty much required to think Dallas basically sucks. Still does as far as I'm concerned.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015

Okay. Excluding Dallas, give me your top three choices. I might make it back to TX someday. I’m a young 65. :)

Reactions: TexasPalladin

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
Oh I remember it too. But I saw him alive in Fort Worth that morning so I've never wanted visit the 'scene of the crime'. Plus, for people of my generation and older who grew up in Fort Worth, it was pretty much required to think Dallas basically sucks. Still does as far as I'm concerned.
I promise to put Fort Worth on my possible future itinerary.

Reactions: padrehorn11

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Okay. Excluding Dallas, give me your top three choices. I might make it back to TX someday. I’m a young 65. :)
I guess it depends on what you want to do when you visit, but I guess I'd say Austin, Fort Worth, and South Padre Island. You can get to all the Arlington stuff just as easily from Fort Worth as you can Dallas, and Fort Worth has other things like good food, entertainment, and museums, whereas Arlington is just sports and kid's stuff. Things for all ages in all three places. Avoid South Padre during Spring Break though, unless you like being around close to 100,000 drunk kids. When I lived there any resident who didn't work in the tourist industry and could afford to (which means retired people) went somewhere else when Texas and A&M had Spring break.

I wonder what other Texans here would say.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I guess it depends on what you want to do when you visit, but I guess I'd say Austin, Fort Worth, and South Padre Island. You can get to all the Arlington stuff just as easily from Fort Worth as you can Dallas, and Fort Worth has other things like good food, entertainment, and museums, whereas Arlington is just sports and kid's stuff. Things for all ages in all three places. Avoid South Padre during Spring Break though, unless you like being around close to 100,000 drunk kids. When I lived there any resident who didn't work in the tourist industry and could afford to (which means retired people) went somewhere else when Texas and A&M had Spring break.

Fort Worth? Nah. I can think of 500 other places that would have more interest for someone from LA.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Fort Worth? Nah. I can think of 500 other places that would have more interest for someone from LA.
I can see that (although finding 500 places in the world I'd even like to go for a visit nowadays, would be difficult). One does probably need to have a little touch of cowboy (and I don't mean the pro football team) or cowgirl to get the full appreciation of Fort Worth, and a great childhood there with the majority of my closer friends still living there makes a difference too. But I think you might be surprised if you haven't visited with the intent of finding things to enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: JG

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
Lots of people. Lots of scooters. I was pleasantly surprised to see how clean they keep the area, even while under construction. Also was surprised to not see an obvious homeless problem like we have in LA.

Now my SPOILER ALERT!!

It was the grassy knoll. ;)

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Lots of people. Lots of scooters. I was pleasantly surprised to see how clean they keep the area, even while under construction. Also was surprised to not see an obvious homeless problem like we have in LA.

Now my SPOILER ALERT!!

It was the grassy knoll. ;)
They are there, just not as visible.

On a warm day most find shade under a bridge or inside a public buidling.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008

Dallas is not a good city for homeless because of the weather fluctuations. If I was homeless I'd take the bus out west to LA.

Reactions: padrehorn11

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas is not a good city for homeless because of the weather fluctuations. If I was homeless I'd take the bus out west to LA.
Me too.

I spent two years in Austin without air conditioning in my car or my apartment in the early 80s. Swore I'd live under a bridge in Alaska before I'd do that again.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
I can see that (although finding 500 places in the world I'd even like to go for a visit nowadays, would be difficult). One does probably need to have a little touch of cowboy (and I don't mean the pro football team) or cowgirl to get the full appreciation of Fort Worth, and a great childhood there with the majority of my closer friends still living there makes a difference too. But I think you might be surprised if you haven't visited with the intent of finding things to enjoy.
You twisted my arm enough to check out the stock yards. I’ve never seen longhorns like that! Had my first Whataburger too. :)

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
You twisted my arm enough to check out the stock yards. I’ve never seen longhorns like that! Had my first Whataburger too. :)
There ya go.

Here's a historical digression for you. One of my great-grandfathers was the biggest horse and mule dealer in Fort Worth in the early part of the 2oth century, and his business was of course located in the stockyards. My grandmother virtually grew up there, and from the time she was nine or ten she'd take on all comers horse racing down Main Street in Fort Worth. My great-grandfather tried to stop her and she was always in trouble with him when she got caught. But before long my great-grandmother found out and nobody crossed my great-grandmother. She and my great-grandfather met on the trail to Indian Territory when she was just sixteen. He rode up, saw her driving her family's covered wagon and by the end of the day, he told her he was going on ahead, grab some land and then find her and marry her. He did and went on to become a horse and mule trader and they moved to Fort Worth.

My great-grandmother was the only ancestor I ever knew who wasn't born in Texas. Well wait, Dad was born in Mexico, but his parents were Texans and from the age of 15 he lived in Texas. Anyway, as I've indicated before, Texas runs in my veins. Even University of Texas Football runs in my veins as my grandfather on my father's side played starting halfback for the Longhorns in 1900 and 1901.

My sister and I still own the mineral rights under the original homestead in Oklahoma though, and have leased it out a couple of times for the Marmaton (or lower Cleveland) shale play, but it hasn't been drilled yet. Actually, now that I think of it my daughter now owns my share of it in a Trust with me as trustee to avoid probate in Oklahoma when I depart this world. Maybe someday she'll have some oil production from her great-great-grandparent's homestead, all these years later.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015

I think all major American cities have homeless people. However Dallas, at least the small sections I saw, has these major differences from LA.

No tent city. I didn’t see a single tent on a sidewalk or in a park.

I didn’t see anyone living under bridges or freeway overpasses.

I didn’t see anyone pushing a stolen shopping cart piled high with all their worldly possessions.

Edit. One more difference. I only saw one gang graffiti. It was easy to miss because it was on the top of a trash can near the founder’s cabin.

Last edited:

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I think all major American cities have homeless people. However Dallas, at least the small sections I saw, has these major differences from LA.

No tent city. I didn’t see a single tent on a sidewalk or in a park.

I didn’t see anyone living under bridges or freeway overpasses.

I didn’t see anyone pushing a stolen shopping cart piled high with all their worldly possessions.

Edit. One more difference. I only saw one gang graffiti. It was easy to miss because it was on the top of a trash can near the founder’s cabin.
https://www.wfaa.com/video/news/local/dallas-county/tent-city-homeless-camp-returns/287-54f1ad02-6feb-484e-a8c7-1b124bfb4c15

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2016/03/11/dallas-wants-to-send-hundreds-of-homeless-in-tent-city-packing-but-history-says-theyll-be-back

upload_2019-6-10_7-49-17.jpeg

upload_2019-6-10_7-49-31.jpeg

You just don't see them. They are there. There is just more room for them here.

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX

No San Antonio? Communist!

Reactions: TexasPalladin

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
Craziest thing I saw in TX? Those 3 car trains on the freeway. Someone in a truck, or an SUV, or even a car, tows a second vehicle. Then they remove the rear bumper on car 2 and hook up car 3 with a tow bar. They look like cars that have been auctioned.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Craziest thing I saw in TX? Those 3 car trains on the freeway. Someone in a truck, or an SUV, or even a car, tows a second vehicle. Then they remove the rear bumper on car 2 and hook up car 3 with a tow bar. They look like cars that have been auctioned.
They are...and they are usually being hauled to Mexico for sale.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
No San Antonio? Communist!
San Antonio is a nice place to visit if you haven't been before. Bue limited me to three places, and I chose Fort Worth instead. Admittedly I may be biased since I grew up there and still have a lot of friends who live there, but I think it has more variety and things to do. The River Walk is fine and all, but other than that and the Art Museum is good, there's just not as much variety as the other large cities in Texas.

Reactions: Shane3

SAhornfan

Oct 29, 2008
San Antonio, TX
San Antonio is a nice place to visit if you haven't been before. Bue limited me to three places, and I chose Fort Worth instead. Admittedly I may be biased since I grew up there and still have a lot of friends who live there, but I think it has more variety and things to do. The River Walk is fine and all, but other than that and the Art Museum is good, there's just not as much variety as the other large cities in Texas.
I suggest you visit because that statement is horse****.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
My favorite Dallas photo. I hope this works. I’ve never posted a picture before.

Nope. It’s too large. Might try again later, if I can figure out how to reduce the size.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008

How was your visit to Dealey Plaza?

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
How was your visit to Dealey Plaza?
I enjoyed it. Those few blocks were cleaner than I expected. I’m glad they didn’t tear down the old red museum building, as apparently some people wanted.

I was a little surprised by the size of the kill zone. It seemed smaller in person than the impression I had gotten from watching videos and looking at pix. It’s shocking, from our perspective today, how many people were able to get so close to JFK that day.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
I enjoyed it. Those few blocks were cleaner than I expected. I’m glad they didn’t tear down the old red museum building, as apparently some people wanted.

I was a little surprised by the size of the kill zone. It seemed smaller in person than the impression I had gotten from watching videos and looking at pix. It’s shocking, from our perspective today, how many people were able to get so close to JFK that day.
Lots of new construction in downtown Dallas over the years so practically anything that was a bit run down has been torn down and something rebuilt in its place.

The old red courthouse (red museum) is an historic landmark which probably stopped it being torn down and another office building/high rise being built in its place.

Guess I never thought about the size of the area. I've seen estimates as high as a 1/4 million of the number of people in downtown Dallas that day. Videos and pictures show all of the sidewalks completely full of people and spilling over into the streets. Ironically, the area around Dealey Plaza was likely the least crowded area on the route. Dealey Plaza was named after George Dealey who was a longtime publisher of the Dallas Morning News. At least to me, one irony is that his nephew, Sam Dealey, was a submarine captain in the Pacific in WWII (killed in 44) and Medal of Honor winner and possibly (though not likely) could have crossed paths with Kennedy during the war,