Recruiting: 2023 Wylie East DE gaining exposure

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas is trying to get a head start on these 2023 prospects. Offering Wiley East defensive end Anthony James is a great way to begin.

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound four-star holds double-digit offers already, including Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and Florida State.

He's currently the third-ranked prospect in-state for this class, according to 247. His upside and potential is obvious, and the 5-tech with quickness and explosion is another in the line of edge-rushing D-ends that programs covet. For now, he's just trying to get back on the field.

“Our season has been okay," said James. "My team has been quarantined for two weeks, so I'm excited to get back out there this week. I had a goal of 10 sacks this year, but right now I just want to make the right play and help my team win. I don’t care about highlights because when coaches see me making the right reads and plays, that’s what will get me to whatever school I choose.”

He's already got some of this figured out, and has a few teams that stand out today.

“I talk to Coach Giles a lot," James said. "Speak to Coach Robinson at A&M a lot, and Utah a lot as well. It’s early but they all seem to care about my development and think my speed can help their defense.”

James also runs track and field, and will run the 200 this spring. For a guy his size, that's impressive. But in the mean time, James just wants to play again. It seems to be the theme for high school football in Texas in 2020.

Reactions: stilesbbq