Recruiting: Argyle’s CJ Rogers continues to climb

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
For CJ Rogers, it's all about patience.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound signal-caller had to wait his turn before taking over the reins of the Argyle football program. You could say it was well worth the wait.

He turned in a record-setting season in 2020 culminating in a 49-21 rout of the Lindale Eagles in the Class 4A D-I championship last month. He went 23-of-30 for 357 passing yards and three touchdowns, and notched the most passing yards in a state championship in Argyle school history.

"I knew I had one shot and it was my time to shine," Rogers said. "Just blessed to accomplish this with all my teammates."

And did he ever. Rogers put together a package of stats and plays that could stand with any high school prospect in the nation.

He tallied 3,420 yards through the air on 183-of-281 passing, 54 touchdowns (with six on the ground), and a QBR of 141. That was good enough to be named the Dallas Morning News 4A Offensive Player of the Year and district MVP for the 16-0 Eagles. The multi-sport star has a nice collection of accolades during his high school career, including first team all-district guard honors in basketball as a freshman at Tomball and as a junior at Argyle.

But his story began years before.

He played football from kindergarten to 8th grade, but when he made varsity as a freshman point guard in hoops at Tomball, his focus was on the hardwood. It wasn't until his family moved to Argyle before his sophomore year that football slowly became a priority. After spending time excelling in basketball for the Eagles, he went back out for football. But after suffering injuries his junior year, he almost became an afterthought.

"Football was such a big deal at Argyle and all my friends played," said Rogers. "When it was finally my time, I just wanted to be the best teammate I could be. They had all played together since they started school and their goal was always to win state. The class had some great players, but needed a quarterback."

That's when Rogers had his opportunity. But he was still unproven. It wasn't until Argyle had a few wins early this season that he realized how special this year would be.

"After the Decatur game, it really boosted my confidence," said Rogers. "After the Pleasant Grove game, I really knew we had something special."

You'd be hard pressed to find a team that faced a stronger schedule in state in 2020. Argyle played and defeated five ranked teams, including perennial thorn Waco La Vega twice, once in the playoffs.

Even after all that, he's still wildly unknown in the recruiting market through no fault of his own.

"The Covid pandemic definitely hurt me," Rogers explained. "No camps, no visits, and the college coaches inability to see me on campus. You want to visit these schools, learn about the program and staff. Virtual visits are okay, but it doesn't replace the in-person contact."

Luckily, his film has begun making its rounds and colleges are taking notice. His offers include Austin Peay, SFA, Missouri State, Duquesne, and a preferred walk-on spot from South Florida. Big 12 schools, including Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Texas Tech, and Baylor have reached out with interest recently, as have Illinois and Nevada.

It appears Austin Peay has done a good job of building the relationship. I would expect nothing else from new head coach Scotty Walden.

"Coach Walden is awesome," said Rogers. "He's the easiest guy to talk to and I expect big things at Austin Peay."

The team captain who boasts a 3.8 GPA is eager to find a home in a college program. For a kid that exudes all the intangibles required to compete at the next level, patience might be needed for a little longer.

Luckily, he's had plenty of practice.

Take a look at the tape. Senior Season Highlights - CJ Rogers highlights - Hudl

wabash

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Apr 3, 2017
In a non COVID world where coaches had the ability to watch him throw in person he'd already be a FBS commit. He was incredibly impressive all season long from a production standpoint and has the tools to legitimately make some noise at the next level if he finds the right fit. I love the throws at 4:23 & 1:28 and the runs at 0:30 and 5:06. If he ends up at ISU or Okie State as a PWO that would be a huge win for those schools, definitely seems like he’s just scratching the surface.

Last edited:

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
In a non COVID world where coaches had the ability to watch him throw in person he'd already be a FBS commit. He was incredibly impressive all season long from a production standpoint and has the tools to legitimately make some noise at the next level if he finds the right fit. I love the throws at 4:23 & 1:28 and the runs at 0:30 and 5:06. If he ends up at ISU or Okie State as a PWO that would be a huge win for those schools, definitely seems like he’s just scratching the surface.
You know it.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
He has a lot of tools and obviously plenty of upside since he hasn’t been playing long.

A lot of the deep shots he takes in this game are bad ideas but the combination of his arm strength and the quality of these receivers makes it work. It is nice he’s not afraid to grip it and rip it also, although he’ll throw a million picks if he tries some of this in college.

I don’t know how all the B12 QB classes look but someone should be on this.

Abe Lemons

Feb 28, 2012
He has a lot of tools and obviously plenty of upside since he hasn’t been playing long.

A lot of the deep shots he takes in this game are bad ideas but the combination of his arm strength and the quality of these receivers makes it work. It is nice he’s not afraid to grip it and rip it also, although he’ll throw a million picks if he tries some of this in college.

Yeah, agree with a lot of that.

Argyle runs a Brilesian offense with lots of RPO and timing routes, but few concepts that put safeties in conflict and very limited use of the route tree, slot receiver, TE or teaching of pre-snap coverage/read beyond the RPO target.

CJ has a lot to learn yet, but based on the development over his only year of QB play and now offseason work with an Elite11 coach, the consensus input from FBS coaches = “We can’t believe he doesn’t have P5 offers”, “high ceiling”.

Baylor, Iowa St, Ok St, Tech and Weis/USF all have offered PWOs. The head coach for a Big 10 school that will take one more QB really likes him, as do the OCs for two Mtn-West, an SEC and a Sunbelt school. No idea whether any of that will translate to offers; he has scholarship offers from Petrino, Walden and other FCS schools.

Last edited:

oso_serious

Dec 28, 2020

I agree with a lot of this, but I think his ball placement on some of those deep shots was more worrying than the decision. Particularly a couple of the slot fades (where he led the receiver either straight up field or in towards the MOF safety) and then the outside receiver go routes where he put the ball in a similar location relative to the split field safeties.

A couple of his intermediate throws were also worrisome, especially the crosser that he led straight into what would have been a knockout hit if in college. Curious how much of that is simply due to relative inexperience and lack of playing time.

Regardless, an interesting and promising project for a decent coaching staff. Will be interested in seeing where he goes and how he progresses.

BluffviewHorn

Jan 24, 2012
Dallas
He’s intriguing for a guy for so little experience at the position. Short quick release. Surprised UTSA or some of the other regional schools haven‘t shown interest.
Carries the ball low and subsequently releases it low at times. I think that’s any easy fix for a hut with his short quick release. A lot easier fix than dudes with long wide up releases. Footwork is inconsistent, but again I think that’s easier to correct than a bad wind up and release. Surprisingly accurate off that inconsistent footwork.
Reminds you of how young Mahomes throwing the pigskin like it was a baseball. Only this time we have a PG throwing it like he’s dishing it on the court.
Kind of guy the right coach takes, and in year three has a real gem. The kind of guys Gundy turns into really solid college QB’s.

Reactions: Abe Lemons