Recruiting: East Texas duo picking up steam

wabash

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Apr 3, 2017
Due to coronavirus restrictions put in place by the UIL, high schools in classification 4A or lower were able to start their seasons nearly six weeks ahead of their large school counterparts. That extended run of time in the spotlight allowed more eyes to find prospects from those schools, including 2022 Tenaha ATH Jeremy Patton and 2022 Gladewater WR DJ Allen.

Patton led Tenaha to the Region 3 finals in 2AD2 before falling short against #1 Mart. The hyper-athletic Patton played all over the field for the Tigers, racking up 24 touchdowns, 1500 total yards, and 120 tackles. The 6-foot-2 linebacker looks like a great fit for the modern spread defense that has to defend the run with a light box and cover in space against lightning quick slot receivers.

IT recently caught up with the talented playmaker from Shelby County.

Inside Texas: Jeremy what are your thoughts about the coaching changes at Texas?

Jeremy Patton: I had a feeling changes were coming at Texas. I understand it’s all business and didn’t think too much of it. Coach Sark and Coach Kwiatkowski know football, so I feel things for Texas are about to turn the page.

IT: You’ve played all over the field for Tenaha, but it seems like most schools project you to linebacker at the next level. What are your thoughts about playing LB in college?

JP: I love it! Playing linebacker will put me in a position to make plays, show my athleticism, and display my physicality.

IT: Who are you hearing from the most right now?

JP: Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, and SMU have been showing love and have been trying to get to know me and my family.

IT: Have there been any other schools that haven’t offered yet that you know have interest? The Texas staff just got put together so I’m sure they’re still working to fill out their big board.

JP: I hope Texas reaches out. I have been hearing from Auburn and LSU here lately. If they decide to offer it’ll be big.

IT: Would you say LSU is your dream school? If not them, who would fall into that favorite school category?

JP: My family is full of LSU and Texas fans, so I’m kind of in the mix. My dream school has always been Alabama but LSU is definitely up there.

IT: Do you have a general idea about your timeline to make a decision?

JP: I honestly don’t have a timeline as of right now, I’ve gotten to around eight schools based on offers I have.

IT: Last thing, you had a nasty windmill in the layup lines recently. Any chance we see some more from the Jeremy Patton dunk package?

JP: Lol I might have a few more in the dunk package.

#####

Patton’s bEast Texas counterpart in Allen broke onto the scene this year after a 180-yard, two-touchdown performance against eventual 4AD2 state finalist Gilmer. Allen continued to put up massive numbers all year for the Bears, racking up 59 receptions for 1316 yards and 17 touchdowns. Allen was well on the way to amassing over 2000 all-purpose yards before Gladewater was upset in the first round by four-seed Mount Vernon and Art Briles.

Allen told IT he would like to hear from Texas but has not communicated much with Sarkisian’s staff. He went into more detail about his recruitment and his game.

Inside Texas: During the past month you’ve picked up offers from Michigan, USC, and Notre Dame after going through the season with only an offer from SMU. How are you adjusting to being a nationally sought-after recruit after flying under the radar a bit?

DJ Allen: I’m finally getting used to the texting and calling with the coaches. It was definitely a struggle at first not getting recruited, but everybody told me to keep working and be patient and they will come sooner or later.

IT: You ran a 10.87 100m during your freshman year, are you planning on running track this spring? If so, do you and your coaches have a goal for your time?

DJA: I am, and at least a 10.7.

IT: That’s a great goal to have and the speed definitely shows up on tape. Are there any schools not currently recruiting you that you would like to hear from?

DJA: Oklahoma is another one of my dream schools.

IT: What do you think your strengths are as a player, and what’s some of the positive feedback been from coaches that you’ve talked to?

DJA: I like to compare my strengths to DK Metcalf. I’m physical, I’ve got speed, and I can run every route.

IT: Thanks for the time DJ, good luck during Track season and congratulations on the recent offers.

DJA: Thank you!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Patton is a take and a half and I would love for him to be in the class. He is gonna be a terrific space eating LB
In complete agreement on this. In addition to his ability in space Jeremy does a great job on both sides of the ball (played some I-Back) sifting through the garbage in between the tackles. There are a couple times vs. Bremond where Jaray Bledsoe would have a TFL vs. any other 2A RB, but Patton recognizes it quickly and makes a decisive cut to get out of trouble.

Reactions: Schulz

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
In complete agreement on this. In addition to his ability in space Jeremy does a great job on both sides of the ball (played some I-Back) sifting through the garbage in between the tackles. There are a couple times vs. Bremond where Jaray Bledsoe would have a TFL vs. any other 2A RB, but Patton recognizes it quickly and makes a decisive cut to get out of trouble.
Ya as an ATH take he could play FB or H-back. Think he is probably maximized as an LB but just seems like a guy who is just really football smart

Reactions: sherf1 and wabash

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
I didnt realize DJ ran a 10.8 as a freshman. Just a testament to how deep the WR class is in state that he hasnt blown up yet

Reactions: sherf1 and wabash

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Ya as an ATH take he could play FB or H-back. Think he is probably maximized as an LB but just seems like a guy who is just really football smart
100% agree with you about LB and It was music to my ears when he gave the response he did about playing LB at the next level.

Reactions: thunderclapnewman

2343horn

Member Who Talks
Jul 26, 2013
I like guys that dunk. Whether it is Bob Stoops offering Demarco Murray after watching him bounce the ball off the gym wall and throw it down, Ramonce Taylor flying around and dunking on everybody in Gregory pick up games, Hassan Ridgeway drop stepping, Mike Evans and VY killing it in high school hoops, or big Leonard Davis dominating at little Wortham. I really like what it says about a football player's explosiveness when he can get up and punch it.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
New Braunfels, TX
Big Leonard was my personal best, just nothing quite like seeing a 300+ pound 6'6" guy running up and down the BB court and dunking a basketball. My advice to everyone would be do not find yourself under his body when he comes down. Where are the offspring from Big Leonard, did he not have any male kids that had athletic ability? Would be nice to know where some of the greats kids are these days, such as Leonard, Nobis, Koy, Street, and others.

Reactions: wabash