Sark coaching clinic and my thoughts on the hire as an OU fan

melodicmarc

Aug 17, 2020
First off, you Texas guys should watch this video to learn a lot about your new head coach.

Next before I get into it, I will tell you a little about me. I am a big OU fan. I follow this site because @Ian Boyd is an exceptional writer. I am also a huge Atlanta Falcons fan so I have had the privilege of watching some amazing offensive minds. Most notably Lincoln Riley and Kyle Shanahan. I don't know yet if I put Steve in the same category as the other two, but the Falcons made a mistake in firing him and he has been exceptional at Bama.

So after watching the coaching clinic, I really wanted to write about my thoughts on the hire. I think the best way to go about this is to give the reasons why I think he would end up being really successful at Texas, and the reasons he could end up failing at Texas. Then I tell which one I think is most likely, although I admittedly am split 50-50 on it. So if you want the perspective of an OU fan who attempts to avoid bias (but hey we are all guilty of this sometimes), here is my take on the Sark hire.

Why Sark will be successful at Texas

• He understands the Chess Match of Football. This is the biggest reason that will cause him to be successful. Herman had a belief system of "we will bully you with our strengths". He ultimately wanted to attack teams in a specific way, rather than attacking the defense's weaknesses. Sark takes the opposite approach. Sark clearly understands his base plays and how to build off of those once the defense starts to adjust. Are you playing two high safeties? Okay Sark will run the ball. Do you bring the safeties down, Sark will capitalize on it with an RPO. Start playing man coverage? He will hit you with crossing routes deep play action passes. The best offensive minds I have ever seen are good because they understand the exact defensive assignment and how to exploit it. Kyle Shanahan does it with Tight End leaks. Lincoln Riley has done it with his WR leaks and PA pop passes. I think Sark his a similar mind as these two, and this is what really scares me as an OU fan.
  • He gets the Momentum. We all know that Texas is a sleeping giant. The talent that Sark could bring in once he finds success is insane. If Sark can get the ball rolling here, it will be extremely hard to stop.
  • Bijan Robinson is unstoppable. This is on a more tactical level, and it plays off of my second point. But in order for Sark to get the momentum he needs, Bijan Robinson will have to live up to the hype over the next two years, which I think he is very capable of doing. Sark loves utilizing the backs in the passing game and Bijan Robinson is probably the best receiving back in the country. He is the only offensive talent on Texas that actually scares me at this point. If teams can't stop him, then Texas might get the momentum they need to get the ball rolling.
Why Sark will not be successful at Texas
  • It requires an exceptional amount of talent on offense to make it work. What Sark did at Bama was absolutely incredible. But the talent he had at Bama was absolutely incredible. If Sark wants to run the offense he did at Bama, he will need an very talented Space Force. Correct me if I am wrong, but where Texas seems to be lacking is talent at the Wide Receiver position and along the offensive line. I think it will take him 2 to 3 years to get the talent required at those positions to get the offense humming. Will Texas give him that amount of time? Can Sark find other ways to be successful in the meantime? Can he stop Nik Bonitto, Trace Ford, and Will Mcdonald? We will find out a lot of these answers next season.
  • He doesn't believe in running quarterbacks. In the coaching clinic he mentioned that he is dead set on being a passing team and he doesn't call running plays for his qb. Now I say this with a big grain of salt, because he also ran Jalen Hurts a lot at Bama before he went to Atlanta, and he also said later in the clinic that he is a firm believer on shaping his offense around his talent. This could mean that he is perfectly okay with running quarterbacks, he just didn't have running quarterbacks at the time of the clinic (He had Tua and Mac Jones). Or it could mean that he will utilize his running quarterbacks on the roster right now at Texas, but won't recruit them in the future because it is not a philosophy that he believes in. He also recruited Bryce Young to Bama, which I believe he scrambled some. My point though is that you should not limit your offense. If you have a talented running quarterback, then capitalize off of it. Add the extra dimension to your offense. I think one of the biggest reasons why Oklahoma "struggled" on offense this year is because they lost the qb run dimension to their game.
  • Bijan Robinson is stoppable. Back to the tactics. I think good defenses going against Texas this year will center their game plans around stopping Robinson. If they can largely eliminate him as a weapon and Texas doesn't have anyone step up, then Texas could get caught in the same spiral it has been in over the last 10 years.
What I think will happen
I honestly do not know how this is all going to play out. I do think Sark will struggle this first year, especially with the talent that OU is bringing back on the defensive line and the talent that Iowa State has. Year 2 will be key for Sark. Can he show enough improvement and get the necessary weapons? He seems to be making all the right hires. It's near 50-50 for me but ultimately I would bet on Sark getting over the hump and having a successful coaching career at Texas but it will take time. The reason I am taking this stance is because he understands the chess match of football, and I am one to bet on innovative offensive minds.

However there is a slight catch 22 here. If Sark proves to be an exceptional coach, you run the risk of him going to the NFL. If he does not prove to be an exceptional coach, well then you are right back in this position. Now I think the chances of him going to the NFL if he becomes an exceptional coach are around 50% in my opinion, and the odds seem to be higher than they are with Lincoln Riley. Lincoln Riley has turned down multiple head coaching jobs, while Sark has already left college for the NFL once. So I think it is important to throw this caveat in.

How I would grade the hire
I would give Texas somewhere between and A- and an A on this hire. If there wasn't a risk for the NFL, it would be A to A+. I am a very firm believer in hiring the coaches with the most potential and upside. If the goal is national championships, then average coaches just won't get it done, especially in college football. I'm also a firm believer in hiring offensive minded head coaches. Now this applies more to the NFL than in college, but my logic is this: Most great defenses are a result of mainly talent. Most great offenses are a result of talent and coaching. While this is less true in college than the NFL, I still think it holds up. The problem then becomes if you are a defensive head coach then you are dependent on your OC for good offensive coaching. If that OC proves to be exceptional at his job, he will soon be a head coach elsewhere. While you can lose a great DC, once you have the talent then you can largely still have a good defense regardless of the DC. I saw this firsthand with Dan Quinn and Kyle Shanahan.

Ultimately if the goal is winning national championships, I'd rather have 3 bad years and move on with finding the next head coach rather than having 10 decent years with a good but not great coach with no national championships. If he is the answer then that is great. If he is not the answer than get him out as quickly as possible. Sark is that boom or bust coach. Sark has about as much potential as possible for a head coach, at least when it comes to offensive minds, so I really like the hire for Texas.

Boomer

panther52

Member Who Talks
Oct 9, 2016
Thank you for this post.
As it happens, these great comments are related to a thought I've had.

A girl from my high school class married a former Baylor player. A few drinks into a high school reunion, I asked her about what Baylor football thought of Texas coach Fred Akers. This was when the Akers program seemed to be stalled, and Grant Teaff was attaining unimagined success for Baylor.

My friend said, "At Baylor, we pray every day for Texas to keep Coach Akers."
(You can tell that this was a long time ago. Not because of references to 'Akers' and 'Teaff'; but, because, back then, people from Baylor actually prayed.)
The departure of Coach Akers did not solve UT's problems; that remained a few years away.

But, around the Big 12, is it possible to get a straight answer as to whether other programs believe, 'uh oh, the sleeping giant is going to be awake for a while, again'? (Or, maybe OU, or some others like TCU?, would even sort of welcome it, to have an interesting peer and raise the Big 12 profile.)

patentjt

Member Who Talks
Aug 14, 2020
Great write up, thx.

Yea, I think yr 1 & yr 2 goals for Sark should be to make the Big12 title game and a NY6 bowl. I don't see Texas beating OU next season as they are too loaded, barring any significant injuries.

I agree tho, yr3, the pressure will ramp up and expectations will be to win the Big 12 (finally) and make the CFP.

So far, Sark seems to be avoiding the many trap falls that doomed Strong and Herman, which was bringing in comfortable hires at the outset and not understanding the recruiting landscape. Also neither were elite offensive minds and u really need to be in order to win the BIG 12.

stilesbbq

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 2, 2019
Great post. I feel confident Sark will improve the offense to where UT beats the teams they "should" and upgrade recruiting to where they finally consistently land blue chips in the state. I think OU has a good chance to win it all next year, if UT beats OU next year then we'll know he is the real deal

Your point on defenses being reliant on more overall talent than offenses is a good one. Id add that the best offensive coaches can build a great offenses from a few good pieces. Seeing what Shanahan and Andy Reid have done with QBs like Alex Smith and Jimmy G I think is evidence of that

I cant believe I liked a post that ended with "Boomer." Cheers

bigpoppapelt

Jun 17, 2020
Great write up, thanks for posting. There are a couple of points we are not in lockstep on. I think you, and a lot of other people, are downplaying the talent at WR. Troy Omerie, Jordan Whit and Jake Smith are going to thrive in this scheme, especially if the last two can stay healthy. Moore has something too.

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, who planned the attack on Pearl Harbor would reportedly write in his diary, “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

'Hook Em

chaplins

Oct 13, 2009
Keller Tx
First off, you Texas guys should watch this video to learn a lot about your new head coach.

Next before I get into it, I will tell you a little about me. I am a big OU fan. I follow this site because @Ian Boyd is an exceptional writer. I am also a huge Atlanta Falcons fan so I have had the privilege of watching some amazing offensive minds. Most notably Lincoln Riley and Kyle Shanahan. I don't know yet if I put Steve in the same category as the other two, but the Falcons made a mistake in firing him and he has been exceptional at Bama.

So after watching the coaching clinic, I really wanted to write about my thoughts on the hire. I think the best way to go about this is to give the reasons why I think he would end up being really successful at Texas, and the reasons he could end up failing at Texas. Then I tell which one I think is most likely, although I admittedly am split 50-50 on it. So if you want the perspective of an OU fan who attempts to avoid bias (but hey we are all guilty of this sometimes), here is my take on the Sark hire.

• He understands the Chess Match of Football. This is the biggest reason that will cause him to be successful. Herman had a belief system of "we will bully you with our strengths". He ultimately wanted to attack teams in a specific way, rather than attacking the defense's weaknesses. Sark takes the opposite approach. Sark clearly understands his base plays and how to build off of those once the defense starts to adjust. Are you playing two high safeties? Okay Sark will run the ball. Do you bring the safeties down, Sark will capitalize on it with an RPO. Start playing man coverage? He will hit you with crossing routes deep play action passes. The best offensive minds I have ever seen are good because they understand the exact defensive assignment and how to exploit it. Kyle Shanahan does it with Tight End leaks. Lincoln Riley has done it with his WR leaks and PA pop passes. I think Sark his a similar mind as these two, and this is what really scares me as an OU fan.
  • He gets the Momentum. We all know that Texas is a sleeping giant. The talent that Sark could bring in once he finds success is insane. If Sark can get the ball rolling here, it will be extremely hard to stop.
  • Bijan Robinson is unstoppable. This is on a more tactical level, and it plays off of my second point. But in order for Sark to get the momentum he needs, Bijan Robinson will have to live up to the hype over the next two years, which I think he is very capable of doing. Sark loves utilizing the backs in the passing game and Bijan Robinson is probably the best receiving back in the country. He is the only offensive talent on Texas that actually scares me at this point. If teams can't stop him, then Texas might get the momentum they need to get the ball rolling.
  • It requires an exceptional amount of talent on offense to make it work. What Sark did at Bama was absolutely incredible. But the talent he had at Bama was absolutely incredible. If Sark wants to run the offense he did at Bama, he will need an very talented Space Force. Correct me if I am wrong, but where Texas seems to be lacking is talent at the Wide Receiver position and along the offensive line. I think it will take him 2 to 3 years to get the talent required at those positions to get the offense humming. Will Texas give him that amount of time? Can Sark find other ways to be successful in the meantime? Can he stop Nik Bonitto, Trace Ford, and Will Mcdonald? We will find out a lot of these answers next season.
  • He doesn't believe in running quarterbacks. In the coaching clinic he mentioned that he is dead set on being a passing team and he doesn't call running plays for his qb. Now I say this with a big grain of salt, because he also ran Jalen Hurts a lot at Bama before he went to Atlanta, and he also said later in the clinic that he is a firm believer on shaping his offense around his talent. This could mean that he is perfectly okay with running quarterbacks, he just didn't have running quarterbacks at the time of the clinic (He had Tua and Mac Jones). Or it could mean that he will utilize his running quarterbacks on the roster right now at Texas, but won't recruit them in the future because it is not a philosophy that he believes in. He also recruited Bryce Young to Bama, which I believe he scrambled some. My point though is that you should not limit your offense. If you have a talented running quarterback, then capitalize off of it. Add the extra dimension to your offense. I think one of the biggest reasons why Oklahoma "struggled" on offense this year is because they lost the qb run dimension to their game.
  • Bijan Robinson is stoppable. Back to the tactics. I think good defenses going against Texas this year will center their game plans around stopping Robinson. If they can largely eliminate him as a weapon and Texas doesn't have anyone step up, then Texas could get caught in the same spiral it has been in over the last 10 years.
What I think will happen
I honestly do not know how this is all going to play out. I do think Sark will struggle this first year, especially with the talent that OU is bringing back on the defensive line and the talent that Iowa State has. Year 2 will be key for Sark. Can he show enough improvement and get the necessary weapons? He seems to be making all the right hires. It's near 50-50 for me but ultimately I would bet on Sark getting over the hump and having a successful coaching career at Texas but it will take time. The reason I am taking this stance is because he understands the chess match of football, and I am one to bet on innovative offensive minds.

However there is a slight catch 22 here. If Sark proves to be an exceptional coach, you run the risk of him going to the NFL. If he does not prove to be an exceptional coach, well then you are right back in this position. Now I think the chances of him going to the NFL if he becomes an exceptional coach are around 50% in my opinion, and the odds seem to be higher than they are with Lincoln Riley. Lincoln Riley has turned down multiple head coaching jobs, while Sark has already left college for the NFL once. So I think it is important to throw this caveat in.

I would give Texas somewhere between and A- and an A on this hire. If there wasn't a risk for the NFL, it would be A to A+. I am a very firm believer in hiring the coaches with the most potential and upside. If the goal is national championships, then average coaches just won't get it done, especially in college football. I'm also a firm believer in hiring offensive minded head coaches. Now this applies more to the NFL than in college, but my logic is this: Most great defenses are a result of mainly talent. Most great offenses are a result of talent and coaching. While this is less true in college than the NFL, I still think it holds up. The problem then becomes if you are a defensive head coach then you are dependent on your OC for good offensive coaching. If that OC proves to be exceptional at his job, he will soon be a head coach elsewhere. While you can lose a great DC, once you have the talent then you can largely still have a good defense regardless of the DC. I saw this firsthand with Dan Quinn and Kyle Shanahan.

Ultimately if the goal is winning national championships, I'd rather have 3 bad years and move on with finding the next head coach rather than having 10 decent years with a good but not great coach with no national championships. If he is the answer then that is great. If he is not the answer than get him out as quickly as possible. Sark is that boom or bust coach. Sark has about as much potential as possible for a head coach, at least when it comes to offensive minds, so I really like the hire for Texas.

Boomer
Great post but threw up in my mouth a little with your sign off but won’t hold it against you! Glad you are here though and welcome!

Reactions: rem700bdl

1998horn

Member Who Talks
Mar 7, 2017
Thanks for the great, thoughtful post. If you don’t mind, I’d like to hear your opinion on why Riley hasn’t bolted to the NFL yet. Do you think he wants a natty first?

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
Enjoyed the writeup. First, I agree OU will be very good next year. Just for some perspective, you can validate via my messaging history, but I predicted Texas would win 7 games this year so I'm not an eternal optimist. However, I agree with Coach Sark that this roster is better than people think. Particularly the offensive talent on the OL, WR, and TE positions. Bijan is one the elites in college FB, but the surrounding talent is there to be effective. Tom didn't setup many of his players to succeed and I believe that'll be demonstrated next season.

vtrain1

Jan 3, 2014
Good piece. Thanks.

He is the only offensive talent on Texas that actually scares me at this point. If teams can't stop him, then Texas might get the momentum they need to get the ball rolling.
As inanehorn mentions above, I think the talent is much better than the credit being given. They just need someone to put them to proper use. Sark is undoubtedly that guy.

If Sark proves to be an exceptional coach, you run the risk of him going to the NFL.
He doesn't strike me as a guy looking to return to the NFL but rather a guy looking to build a legacy of greatness at one place. Texas is most definitely that place.

Reactions: hutto23 and tyler83

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
I am much more confident the O line under Coach Flood and Sark will reach a baseline level of competency that is able beat most teams than I am the WR talent on campus is good enough to be gamebreakers.

Oline will be good enough but its hard to see that any of the WRs will be special

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
I am much more confident the O line under Coach Flood and Sark will reach a baseline level of competency that is able beat most teams than I am the WR talent on campus is good enough to be gamebreakers.

Oline will be good enough but its hard to see that any of the WRs will be special
Yeah that's fair. The saving grace is you can get production from WRs much earlier their careers.

Troy O is a big part of this is as well, if he continues on the path he was on before his injury, that goes a long way toward breaking the issue of beating man coverage.

Bald_n_Bevo

Sep 18, 2009
Central TX

What I think will happen

Boomer
Excellent write up. Don't usually read the long one's but since this isn't from a homer made more sense.

melodicmarc

Aug 17, 2020
Great post. I feel confident Sark will improve the offense to where UT beats the teams they "should" and upgrade recruiting to where they finally consistently land blue chips in the state. I think OU has a good chance to win it all next year, if UT beats OU next year then we'll know he is the real deal

Your point on defenses being reliant on more overall talent than offenses is a good one. Id add that the best offensive coaches can build a great offenses from a few good pieces. Seeing what Shanahan and Andy Reid have done with QBs like Alex Smith and Jimmy G I think is evidence of that

I cant believe I liked a post that ended with "Boomer." Cheers
Exactly. I think I learned this when Kyle Shanahan took the Falcons offense from a top 10 to a historic offense. He definitely can maximize talent. Also that's high praise when I get props from Texas fans, so thanks!

melodicmarc

Aug 17, 2020
Great write up, thanks for posting. There are a couple of points we are not in lockstep on. I think you, and a lot of other people, are downplaying the talent at WR. Troy Omerie, Jordan Whit and Jake Smith are going to thrive in this scheme, especially if the last two can stay healthy. Moore has something too.

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, who planned the attack on Pearl Harbor would reportedly write in his diary, “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve.”

'Hook Em
Yeah I honestly wasn't super familiar with who Texas does have, so that is why I left it more of an open ended question. I do remember Jordan Whit being a big time recruit. We will see if Sark can maximize these guys.

melodicmarc

Aug 17, 2020
Thanks for the great, thoughtful post. If you don’t mind, I’d like to hear your opinion on why Riley hasn’t bolted to the NFL yet. Do you think he wants a natty first?
For whatever reason I think Lincoln doesn't have a strong desire to go to the NFL (He has said multiple times that going to the NFL has never really been super appealing to him). I think he views his job right now as one of the ultimate challenges in football so he already feels like he is at the highest level in football. He loves the recruiting aspect of football, and I think he wants to build a dynasty here.

I also think Bob Stoops was a huge mentor for him. Bob says a lot of these same things in his book, No Excuses. He states that jobs don't really get better than places like OU. Also they have a huge focus on organizational leadership, which is another reason they love OU. I don't ever see Riley going to the Cowboys because the organization is too unstable from the ownership. I honestly think the Falcons would have been an appealing job for Riley because they are so stable at the top level.

I do think if Riley wins a couple of Nattys then he might really start looking into the NFL, but I am not worried about losing him over the next 3 years or so. Those are my jumbled up thoughts on why Riley will stay.

funky123

Member Who Talks
Apr 1, 2019
For whatever reason I think Lincoln doesn't have a strong desire to go to the NFL (He has said multiple times that going to the NFL has never really been super appealing to him). I think he views his job right now as one of the ultimate challenges in football so he already feels like he is at the highest level in football. He loves the recruiting aspect of football, and I think he wants to build a dynasty here.

I also think Bob Stoops was a huge mentor for him. Bob says a lot of these same things in his book, No Excuses. He states that jobs don't really get better than places like OU. Also they have a huge focus on organizational leadership, which is another reason they love OU. I don't ever see Riley going to the Cowboys because the organization is too unstable from the ownership. I honestly think the Falcons would have been an appealing job for Riley because they are so stable at the top level.

I do think if Riley wins a couple of Nattys then he might really start looking into the NFL, but I am not worried about losing him over the next 3 years or so. Those are my jumbled up thoughts on why Riley will stay.
Only chance Riley bolts soon IMO is if UT is going for back to back league titles in 2022 combined with a CFB berth. The likelihood of that happening is less than 20% and might be even less idk. What could get a little interesting is if Sark kills it in recruiting in 21/22(likely with this staff) and caps 2022 off with a big12 title/playoff birth(keep the Alabama game close that year and only drop 1 league game to, say...OU in the RRR). If theirs a good opportunity to come up, And Texas is rolling in 2 years, I could see him entertain the right opportunity after the 2022 season. That’s if he gets the NFL itch of-course, which he clearly doesn’t right now. He might feel an itch if UT looks strong in two year tho, who knows if he scratches it.(Hopeful thinking)

Doc Longhorn

Oct 29, 2008
Houston, Texas
If Sark can dry up the bulk of Texas talent that OU always gets (like DKR did) then Lincoln will leave. Don't rule out Bama when Saban retires.

melodicmarc

Aug 17, 2020
Only chance Riley bolts soon IMO is if UT is going for back to back league titles in 2022 combined with a CFB berth. The likelihood of that happening is less than 20% and might be even less idk. What could get a little interesting is if Sark kills it in recruiting in 21/22(likely with this staff) and caps 2022 off with a big12 title/playoff birth(keep the Alabama game close that year and only drop 1 league game to, say...OU in the RRR). If theirs a good opportunity to come up, And Texas is rolling in 2 years, I could see him entertain the right opportunity after the 2022 season. That’s if he gets the NFL itch of-course, which he clearly doesn’t right now. He might feel an itch if UT looks strong in two year tho, who knows if he scratches it.(Hopeful thinking)
To be honest, I think it is likely Riley will be at OU another 10 years at least. So a good method to actually determine how long he will be here will probably be to average all the guesses out, which gives him like another 5 years.

Reactions: funky123

tholly

Oct 29, 2008
North Richland Hills, Tx
I agree with most of your post. I do think bama is a bigger threat than the NFL. I also think our overall talent is good enough for Sark to get us to 9 wins this year. Then on to bigger things if he can handle the media mess that is Texas

Bobcat 9

Jan 24, 2012
Houston, Texas
Good piece. Thanks.

As inanehorn mentions above, I think the talent is much better than the credit being given. They just need someone to put them to proper use. Sark is undoubtedly that guy.

He doesn't strike me as a guy looking to return to the NFL but rather a guy looking to build a legacy of greatness at one place. Texas is most definitely that place.
Sark did say in his initial press conference that he plans to be here 15-20 years and from that my guess is he is where he wants to be. But we can never know about the days to come. But we think about them anyway.