Some thoughts from a long night

cryoburn76

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
White Beach Nav Inst. Okinawa, Japan
I currently work the dreaded night shift and frequently have hours to drive contemplating the world and its wonders. Well, last night while discussing football with a fellow officer (USC FAN), he kept raving about the success Ken Norton JR. has been having coaching and the added advantage he provides in recruiting. I took the information on board and thought about it for a while. I can remember Jim Jeffcoat being mentioned as an assistant coach at the University of Houston I believe but other than that I cannot think of many more EX NFL players making the leap into college coaching. I thought of a few advantages most notably in recruiting and the expertise in transitioning from a college athlete to a Professional Football Player. This began a theoretical search in my mind of

Who = If the University of Texas were to follow suit and hire a former NFL player as an assistant, who would you like to see as assistant and who would be a good fit? Do you think the addition of a well known, EX NFL player would have any effect on our efforts to recruit Out of State?

Any thoughts?

( This post is in no way a slight to any current coach or person on staff, I think they are all doing a fabulous job. I would just like to get some thoughts on this matter. Also, sorry for any spelling or punctuation errors, it was a really long night.)

Last edited:

editionshield

Oct 29, 2008
when we were in the market for a new DC after chizik went to iowa state, a couple names bandied about here were mike singletary and jerry gray. (of course singletary has gone on to an nfl HC job since then.)

sounds like you're talking primarily lower-level assistants than coordinator, though (i.e., position coaches).... although i expect that this is not uncommon. norton jr may be a bit more high-profile because he was a star player on super bowl teams. my guess would be, though, that there are quite a few programs with a coach in their ranks who has at least a little bit of nfl experience.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
I'm thinking you are going to have a hard time finding the type former player you are describing. First few star NFL players go into coaching, especially on the college level. This is going to be more the case now given the salaries star players make though their careers and the opportunities available after retirement. Those still inclined to go into coaching are more likely to stay in the pro ranks due to the better salaries and not having to recruit.

Next there is no guarantee that a star player will be a good coach or a good recruiter. Star power might get them in the door, but that doesn't mean they can close the deal.

hamhorn

Oct 31, 2008
How about my old classmate Bill Bradley?

Shouldn't matter that he didn't get the degree.

editionshield

Oct 29, 2008
How about my old classmate Bill Bradley?

Shouldn't matter that he didn't get the degree.

i've no doubt he'd be a good coach.

i doubt his NFL credentials would be much of a draw to young recruits simply because his playing days were over before they were born; unlikely that any of them would even know who he was, unfortunate as that may be.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
i've no doubt he'd be a good coach.

i doubt his NFL credentials would be much of a draw to young recruits simply because his playing days were over before they were born; unlikely that any of them would even know who he was, unfortunate as that may be.
I hate to age us a bit, but it's approaching soon where even some of the player's fathers weren't born when Bill finished his UT days.

ClendonRoss

Co-Publisher
Aug 8, 2008
Austin, Tex.
A little off the subject, but is anyone else surprised that only four former Longhorn players (Jerry Gray, Richard Hightower, Alan Lowry and Kyle Shanahan) are coaching at the NFL level?