Space Race 2.0

padrehorn11

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I criticized Time Magazine yesterday, but today I'm linking an article that a pretty good summary of the new Space Race.

Pretty cool. Sadly my daughter, SIL and I were talking last night how space seems to hold little interest for my grandson, ten years old. At that age I wanted to be an Astronaut more than anything, and it was the number one choice of "What I want to be when I grow up" among kids my age in the U.S. And it wasn't just me, my SIL is a Millemnial, and my daughter is first last year Gen X and they think space is really cool too. But my grandson has little interest. On the other hand, Taikonaut (Chinese Astronaut) is the number one choice among Chinese children my grandson's age. Let that sink in.

Yeah I've heard all the arguments of "spend the money on earth" but the people who say that can't see beyond their nose, IMO. Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk agree. They're both maybe crazy but you have to admit, they've done well for themselves in seeing the future.

An interesting bit of the article compares what China is trying to do in the South China Sea with what they want to do in space. Imagine what the Chinese will accomplish when (IMO) inevitably they free themselves from the oppressive State and truly adopt Free-Market Capitalism.

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
We made it to the moon 50 years ago. Who cares if the Chinese beat us back there. I mean really, is it a great accomplishment for them to say "we finished second by over 50 years".

The long term future in space is of course business geniuses like Bezos or Elon.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
We made it to the moon 50 years ago. Who cares if the Chinese beat us back there. I mean really, is it a great accomplishment for them to say "we finished second by over 50 years".

The long term future in space is of course business geniuses like Bezos or Elon.
Thanks for your input.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
And on this day in 1969, appropriately, the Astros beat the Commies, er, Reds, and Mission Control filled in the Crew of Apollo 11. And tonight my favorite player, Justin Verlander starts against Mike Minor and the Rangers. I love beisbol. Go 'Stros!

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
I thought the President wanted us to go to Mars, not the moon. F the moon. I want a new frontier, Mars can be for us. The next couple generations and try leaving the Kyper Belt.

Reactions: UTGrad91

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
I criticized Time Magazine yesterday, but today I'm linking an article that a pretty good summary of the new Space Race.

Pretty cool. Sadly my daughter, SIL and I were talking last night how space seems to hold little interest for my grandson, ten years old. At that age I wanted to be an Astronaut more than anything, and it was the number one choice of "What I want to be when I grow up" among kids my age in the U.S. And it wasn't just me, my SIL is a Millemnial, and my daughter is first last year Gen X and they think space is really cool too. But my grandson has little interest. On the other hand, Taikonaut (Chinese Astronaut) is the number one choice among Chinese children my grandson's age. Let that sink in.

Yeah I've heard all the arguments of "spend the money on earth" but the people who say that can't see beyond their nose, IMO. Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk agree. They're both maybe crazy but you have to admit, they've done well for themselves in seeing the future.

An interesting bit of the article compares what China is trying to do in the South China Sea with what they want to do in space. Imagine what the Chinese will accomplish when (IMO) inevitably they free themselves from the oppressive State and truly adopt Free-Market Capitalism.
Thanks for an interesting article. I wish Musk success, but I worry about his aggressive approach turning into a spectacular, and possibly deadly, failure.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I thought the President wanted us to go to Mars, not the moon. F the moon. I want a new frontier, Mars can be for us. The next couple generations and try leaving the Kyper Belt.
Some folks think a Lunar base would be a best first step to Mars, for a number of reasons. I don't know.

Reactions: eodhorn

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Thanks for an interesting article. I wish Musk success, but I worry about his aggressive approach turning into a spectacular, and possibly deadly, failure.
Of course it's a moot point, but I'd volunteer for the first ride. Nobody lives forever.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
Of course it's a moot point, but I'd volunteer for the first ride. Nobody lives forever.
50 years ago today. For a few years after this historic event I thought travel to the moon, even for civilians like me, would become somewhat common. I also expected we would land people on Mars within a couple decades. I was wrong then, but I’m happy to see renewed interest in manned space flight now.

Reactions: padrehorn11

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com

Or when they have to develop their own technology?

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
Or when they have to develop their own technology?
True. I figure they'll get better at that once they finally get over the police state. That may be a quite a while though, and that's why I don't think we have to worry about them overtaking the U.S. in Tech anytime soon. But I have little doubt that someday they will free themselves, Communist Party, it's high tech (stolen) enforcement thugs, and the PLA notwithstanding. But they seem to put up with that **** surprising well for now. Still, I've got this idea about oppression always losing to the human, all humans, desire for liberty and freedom.

I started to say we'll see, but I doubt I'll be around long enough. But then I never thought I'd see the Berlin Wall fall. Of course if the Soviets had adopted a market economy, even a corrupt oligarchic one like Russia now, it might have taken much longer to go broke. So China may hang in as a police state with a semi-market economy for quite a while, but I think ultimately, a market economy will undermine a police state. And a government-controlled economy will always fail.

Reactions: bHero

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
True. I figure they'll get better at that once they finally get over the police state. That may be a quite a while though, and that's why I don't think we have to worry about them overtaking the U.S. in Tech anytime soon. But I have little doubt that someday they will free themselves, Communist Party, it's high tech (stolen) enforcement thugs, and the PLA notwithstanding. But they seem to put up with that **** surprising well for now. Still, I've got this idea about oppression always losing to the human, all humans, desire for liberty and freedom.

I started to say we'll see, but I doubt I'll be around long enough. But then I never thought I'd see the Berlin Wall fall. Of course if the Soviets had adopted a market economy, even a corrupt oligarchic one like Russia now, it might have taken much longer to go broke. So China may hang in as a police state with a semi-market economy for quite a while, but I think ultimately, a market economy will undermine a police state. And a government-controlled economy will always fail.
Yeah, they aren't nearly as bulletproof as they think they are. Their people will rebel. Might take 20-40 years, but they'll get tired of it.

cctxfan

Oct 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Space is cool, no doubt about it. We spent a massive fortune getting to the moon but many of those technologies went into aviation, satellites, etc.

We all know we can get to Mars and back again: the technology is there. But, just like the moon, it's going to cost a massive amount of money. Beyond the private space industry, if we want the government, ie, us taxpayers, to spend a small fortunate getting us to Mars, it's only fair to ask what we get out of it. What new technologies could we hope to gain by setting up a Mars colony, for example? Just getting to Mars first for bragging rights is ridiculous.

jamesrh

Oct 29, 2008
Space is cool, no doubt about it. We spent a massive fortune getting to the moon but many of those technologies went into aviation, satellites, etc.

We all know we can get to Mars and back again: the technology is there. But, just like the moon, it's going to cost a massive amount of money. Beyond the private space industry, if we want the government, ie, us taxpayers, to spend a small fortunate getting us to Mars, it's only fair to ask what we get out of it. What new technologies could we hope to gain by setting up a Mars colony, for example? Just getting to Mars first for bragging rights is ridiculous.
We didn't know what kind of technological innovations we would get from going to the moon. It was only in retrospect, that we were really able to commercialize the benefits. Sometimes you do science just to do science, trusting that the practical benefits will manifest in time.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015

Who “knows” that? Getting to Mars and back will not be easy.

Mars One has long been embroiled in controversy over its dubious plan to send people to Mars, where they would supposedly live out the remainder of their lives. The company promised wannabe astronauts that it would send them to the Red Planet to start the first human settlement, but that it would not return them to Earth as it lacked the technology to get them off the planet.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
We didn't know what kind of technological innovations we would get from going to the moon. It was only in retrospect, that we were really able to commercialize the benefits. Sometimes you do science just to do science, trusting that the practical benefits will manifest in time.
New and improved Tang.

cctxfan

Oct 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Who “knows” that? Getting to Mars and back will not be easy.

Mars One has long been embroiled in controversy over its dubious plan to send people to Mars, where they would supposedly live out the remainder of their lives. The company promised wannabe astronauts that it would send them to the Red Planet to start the first human settlement, but that it would not return them to Earth as it lacked the technology to get them off the planet.
Never said it would be easy. Just saying we have the technology to do it.

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
Some folks think a Lunar base would be a best first step to Mars, for a number of reasons. I don't know.
I think this make sense. The hardest part is navigating our atmosphere on exit and re-entry. It uses fuel like no one’s business. I have heard that everything needed for rocket fuel is available on the moon, and you don’t have that tricky atmosphere issue. Basically we could be significantly more efficient and cost effective launching deep space exploration from the lunar surface as opposed to leaving earth. Not to mention building habitats on the moon will tell us a lot about viability on mars.