Tech, Houston eyes Tyler Lee safety

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
TYLER -- There's a new attitude in the Robert E. Lee Football program. After years of disappointing play, Lee hired Southlake Carroll OC Clayton George in the offseason to infuse a new direction for east Texas' largest school.

Lucky for George, senior standout Makyle Sanders was also ready for a change. And leading by example is where it all begins for the 2-year starting safety.

"I like being the leader for my teammates," said Sanders. "I like for everyone to look up to me to lead by example. I like helping the younger guys do things right so that they can lead when they're seniors. That's the mark of a great program; when the leaders step up."

And he puts those heavy #bEASTtexas expectations on his back, because that's what team leaders do.

"I just want us to play hard, play smart, and play fast," Sanders explained.

"(George) wants us to do a lot to help bring that winning tradition back to Tyler Lee."

Those traits were on display last Friday night when Lee thumped Marshall, 34-7, at Rose Stadium. The Red Raiders defense held the Mavericks and RB prospect Cam Haller (15 yards on six carries) to 83 total yards and only six 1st downs. Marshall's only score of the night was setup by a long kickoff return midway through the first quarter. Marshall wouldn't find the end zone the rest of the night.

As for his recruitment, it's been steadily trending up. Sanders holds offers from Memphis, Navy, Air Force, and Northwestern State among the bunch. With a good senior year, that number will only increase.

"I talk to Texas Tech and Houston a lot," said Sanders. "Those two have really started showing interest and they want me to setup a visit sometime this season."

Another school he'd like to hear from is Texas because,"I've liked the Longhorns since I was little. It's the main school in the best state for HS football. It's hard not to like UT."

Sanders will also be playing a little WR for the Red Raiders to help out his junior QB Chance Amie, who is getting early looks from Florida State, Cal, Texas, and UH. Those two leading this young Lee squad is already benefitting the school.

At 6-foot-2, 185 pounds, he has the size and speed college programs desire, plus packs a punch from the defensive secondary.

Part of Sanders rising maturity is the energy and accountability the new staff at Lee brings, notably George and defensive coordinator Tony Holmes.

“We have a study hall,” said Sanders. “If you have at least one zero (on homework), you have to go to study hall. If you don’t have that zero fixed, you’re running.”

Here's a look at his junior highlights.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Tells me he might visit UH in two weeks. Close to an offer.

BEW

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Mar 16, 2012
Good stuff. Looks like Clayton is doing a good job at Lee.