Texas vs Baylor Q&A with Travis Roeder

Ian Boyd

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Texas vs Baylor has been a pretty fierce sort of rivalry over the last decade. Besides the fact that the margin was 5-5, there was an insane amount of acrimony between the two fanbases. Texas fans hate the lack of distance between the two programs and look down their noses at the Bears for the scandals of the Art Briles era while Baylor fans hate the condescension of Texas fans that only seems to intensify even after the Bears wildly out-performed Texas football over the last 10 years.

With the big money hires of Dave Aranda and his supporting staff, Baylor obviously intends to keep this trend going into the 2020s. Then we have the surrounding drama of Texas’ coaching situation with Tom Herman and Baylor’s struggle with COVID.

To help us piece together all the dimensions and factors of this game, I’ve got Travis Roeder of Our Daily Bears with us to help bring some sense to it all. Check out Travis on that site or on Twitter @Travis_Roeder.

Ian Boyd: Alright Travis, there's a lot to get to here. Let's start with Baylor's crazy COVID situation. What is the team's status heading into this game? Will it end up getting cancelled? How badly depleted is the Bear roster?

Travis Roeder: It can be hard to follow the details on this stuff. But, as far as I am aware, Baylor had zero positive tests this past Sunday. Now, whether that includes guys who had tested positive within the past few weeks I'm not sure. But everything I've read from the AD Mack Rhoades makes it seem a near surety (as far as you can get, at this point) that the game is played. It seems that Baylor has had enough players get infected by now that it will be near impossible for them to fall below the Big 12 thresholds again this year.

Ian Boyd: Herd immunity! Welcome to the club, Baylor. Go ahead, it’s safe to shake Clemson’s hand, there ya go.

What about on the offensive line? I’ve seen a few different starting lineups for the Bears both in terms of what’s listed as well as what is on the field. They’ve had Blake Bedier listed at guard and UCLA transfer Jake Burton listed at tackle but those roles were reversed against West Virginia. Who’s available and likely to start on the offensive line for Baylor and what do you expect from them against Texas?

Travis Roeder: Yeah, that was a surprise to us all. It was unclear in the moment whether they were trying to get a better player (Burton) inside against the Brothers Stills, but Aranda clarified afterward that they just thought that was the best combination (Burton at RG, Bedier at RT) for “physicality” and they wanted him there to help root out 3 techs in the run game. It makes sense, Bedier is much more athlete than football player at this point, Burton is certainly better at executing combo blocks and stuff like that inside.

I expect the starting OL to look like (left to right) Galvin - Keith - Newman - Burton - Bedier against Texas. Newman was horrible against WVU, but didn’t play in the first game due to suspension. Keith has been in and out of Wickline’s dog house because he takes plays off, but when at his best he’s Baylor’s best OL. Pretty much the entire line took their respective turns either getting whipped or totally whiffing assignments all game. This was to be expected--the OL was the position hardest hit early on by COVID and was the reason Baylor cancelled the Houston game and was down many guys against KU in week one.

I don’t think Texas’ DL is nearly as good as West Virginia’s (no disrespect to Texas, the Stills brothers are just that good), although Texas has two very good players in Ossai and Graham. The hope is that with another few weeks to gel the Baylor OL will look better against a “worse” DL in Texas. The worst case scenario is that after a week of no practice, they’re back where they started and put out a similarly pitiful performance this Saturday. Either way, Ossai will definitely get his, and Baylor will likely blow some assignments inside. Look for Texas to attack Newman.

Ian Boyd: Hmmm, I’m not sure that “well, blocking Texas’ line won’t be as bad as blocking West Virginia’s” should offer too much solace. If the Longhorn linebackers had any idea what they were doing this unit would be very hard to run the ball on. The issued reason of “toughness” for moving Burton inside to guard also sounds concerning for Baylor.

But what about Charlie Brewer? I think we’re on the same page about his limitations these days. What sort of shape is he supposed to be in coming into this game? Against West Virginia he appeared to not only be missing badly needed arm strength but was also a step or two slower than normal.

Travis Roeder: Regarding Brewer, that is the grand mystery. In early 2019 he looked really good, his arm strength was never good but he was able to hit deep routes to the field to keep the defense honest. Sometime in mid 2019 he lost that ability, and the offense has sputtered ever since. I thought it was reasonable to expect him to largely be similar to early 2019 after a full offseason to heal, but many of the same issues are there and in many respects he’s looked worse.

I’ve seen some point to injuries, and he definitely had a leg injury early on in the Kansas game which could be affecting things, but at this point you sort of just have to expect him to be injured, because he has looked like this for going on 10 games now. Everybody is rooting for the guy, he’s probably the toughest QB I’ve ever seen play. There’s a possibility that he comes out against Texas and looks much healthier and it really was that leg injury against KU, but at this point I don’t have any reason to bet that’ll be the case.

Aranda was asked about his health the other day and he said that Brewer was “energetic” and “feeling good” or something along those lines. It sounded like coach-speak for, “he’s beat to hell still.” Aranda also mentioned that they need to cater the offense more for Brewer, which I took to mean asking less of him reading-coverage wise and also less throwing deep. All in all, I remain very concerned about Baylor’s ability to score points as long as the offense is helmed by a beat-up/ineffective Brewer.

Ian Boyd: I’ve noticed they’re running plenty of empty formations, as LSU did a year ago, but West Virginia obviously wasn’t falling for it and crowded the underneath routes. Presumably Texas will do the same but under Tom Herman they’ve shown a real knack for refusing to use gameplanning to bend games in directions that favor them.

How about that Baylor defense? Things appear to be stronger there than most of us assumed given how many impact starters were moving on from the 2019 crew.

Travis Roeder: Yeah, they’ve run a lot of empty. The problem is as you alluded to, the only option as a playcaller is to get as many routes in front of Brewer’s face as possible. This means either a ton of crossing routes or a pre-snap read to one side of the field. He threw 2 picks against WVU and should’ve had 3 or 4 more throwing into traffic over the middle. Texas’ inside backers looking clueless helps Baylor here.

The defense has been awesome, and even churned out a great performance against West Virginia despite missing 4 out of their top 6 DL. The D has largely revolved around featuring inside backer Terrel Bernard and STAR/Nickel Jalen Pitre, both of whom are playing at All-American levels right now (not fan hyperbole, trust me. They’ve been awesome). Both of these guys are Baylor’s best blitzers and frequently feature as the “4th guy” in Aranda/Roberts’ creepers (AKA simulated pressures). Bernard is savvy, instinctive, and really quick for an inside guy, but if you can get an OL’s hands on him you can control him. Pitre is hell on wheels off the edge and has been much better in coverage than I figured he would be.

Other than those two, there haven’t been any big standouts on the defense but everyone seems to be doing their jobs well. There’s nobody on the DL who is dominating the way Lynch, Lockhart, and Roy were last year, so steady run gains can be had against them. The corners have looked good but nobody has tested them deep thus far, which is something I’ll be expecting Texas to try this Saturday. The defense’s biggest weakness against West Virginia was the boundary linebacker Dillon Doyle, the Iowa transfer who became an instant starter. He’s pretty slow and WVU frequently attacked him in zone coverage, and he also looked hesitant in the run game. He looked much better against KU, so that’ll be something to watch, I know Herman likes to scheme up some interesting concepts to get RBs and inside receivers the ball in space.

Ian Boyd: Oh don’t worry about that, Tom Herman thinks that attacking linebackers in space with the passing game is an “in case of emergency” strategy that “Championship caliber teams” eschew in favor of running the football. I mean worry a little, God knows Sam Ehlinger may try to hurry Texas across the goal line enough to steal a win like they did to Texas Tech and almost against Oklahoma, but it’s not a primary strategy.

What’s been the view of Texas from you as well as the greater Baylor fan base this season?

Travis Roeder: Texas’ performances have not been that surprising to me, honestly. You always have to look at every situation as its own deal, but coaches usually don’t get much better after their 2nd or 3rd years. I thought I’d seen enough of Herman to know that he wasn’t the guy that would be able to harness Texas’ supreme talent and create a tough, disciplined culture that is necessary for any team to reach high level success. I know from the regular Baylor fan base, they’re of course reveling in the tortuous start and the seeming demise of Herman. Any fanbase can like any coach, regardless of how abrasive or strange the coach may be, as long as they’re winning. It seems to me that Herman’s rougher, harder-to-like edges are becoming more apparent as Texas continues to stumble on the field.

My perception of the team itself is largely the same as my perception of Herman. Awesome talent, but a lack of discipline/culture which has led to up-and-down play. He also seems to have retained the same “slam your head against a wall” mentality that led to that lopsided result in Waco last year where he refused to pay enough attention to Denzel Mims, continued to leave his backup RT isolated against James Lynch, and run the ball into Baylor’s dominant front 7.

Ian Boyd: Yeah....

So, Baylor has a hotshot new recruiting director and approach. A new head coach and schemes, new facilities and stadium, fun uniforms, some winning seasons. How’s recruiting going for Dave Aranda and what are some of the big signees Baylor has landed or is trying to land for their 2021 class?

Travis Roeder: Well, the first thing to understand is that the bulk of this class was put together before Aranda got here. Even the guys who committed after Aranda came on board, many of them were already being targeted heavily by Rhule and co. So we will probably have to wait another cycle before we can see how exactly Aranda and his staff’s approach differs from Rhule.

For those that don’t know, Rhule and his staff were great evaluators. They actually had the cajones to offer a guy who had no offers from anyone else; something that any coach will tell you they’re willing to do, but few actually do in practice. A lot more schools than most realize recruit just using the publicly available recruiting services to find guys, it takes a lot of effort to scour camp results and invite guys to camp like the Rhule regime would. This kind of diamond in the rough approach is what led Baylor to land Tate Williams, who went from unranked when committed to now one of the 2 or 3 highest ranked commits in the class. My main worry is that Aranda might take a more “standard” approach, which could lead to higher ranked classes but less actual talent. It’s wait and see on that.

In Baylor’s current class, I’m really high on WR Hal Pressly, who I think is a near-guarantee to become a Big 12 average WR and could be much more. He’s big, can make contested catches, and is fast enough. Baylor has a pair of OL, Tate Williams and Connor Heffernan, who they were lucky (well not really, as described above) to get in on early and they look like real steals. They also landed Tevin Williams, a CB out of Stillwater, OK, who I think is a perfect fit as a press-man corner for Aranda. It’s a smaller class and I know they’re on the hunt for some elite OL to finish it out.

Ian Boyd: That’ll be a fun dynamic to track. Whether their recruiting rankings climb but their talent levels decrease if they move away from taking SPARQ all-stars and molding them into skilled players like Rhule did. I assume that linebacker recruiting will also be fascinating to follow given that Aranda puts so much of an emphasis on linebacker play but the state of Texas doesn’t produce very many top linebacker prospects.

Let’s wrap up with the game this weekend. What matchups matter? How do you see this game unfolding and who wins?

Travis Roeder: Regarding linebacker play, Aranda has to be counting his lucky stars with the linebacker talent Rhule left him. There are some seriously talented space backers on the roster.

OK, as to the game itself. When Texas has the ball, I largely like Baylor’s defense unless Texas all of the sudden gains a potent outside deep passing game. Baylor’s D is built to bend on inside zone, eliminate the interior RPOs, and then get after the QB on 3rd downs. If Texas pours points on this game, it’ll either be due to Baylor missing a lot of guys on D or because Texas figures out a deep passing game. I don’t think they’ll get much done with their standard stuff.

But as good as I’m feeling about the Baylor defense … I’m equally as worried about the offense. They’ve truly been putrid this year. They only averaged 5.25 yards per play against Kansas, and then a mere 3.61 against WVU. Those are just horrible numbers. They have good skill talent, but haven’t been able to get the ball to them. Basic stuff like field screens are not on the table due to Brewer’s limited arm this year, and teams are ignoring WRs split far out for similar reasons.

If Brewer looks similarly hobbled as he has the first two games, I don’t see Baylor eclipsing 20 offensive points. If he managed to heal up over the past 3 weeks, Baylor could get up into the 30s. As discussed previously, I don’t think Texas can pour it on unless things really change with their offense, which they might. Overall, given Baylor’s lack of practice of the past few weeks and their early offensive struggles, I think the most likely result is something like Texas 23 to 17. But as with most games this year, there is a high level of variability. The things I’ll be looking for early are Brewer’s arm, Baylor’s OL cohesion, whether Texas tries to attack Baylor’s CBs, and how effective their standard run plays are against a Baylor DL that could be out of shape.

Ian Boyd: We see this pretty similarly although where you’re hesitant about the shape of the Baylor team coming off a lull, I’m equally uncertain about the shape of the Longhorn football team coming off a contentious bye week with a likely lame duck head coach.

Overall I think Texas will find a way to win provided that they don’t kick it directly to Trestan Ebner and Baylor hangs with Charlie Brewer at quarterback. If the Bears come off the bye week with Gerry Bohanon behind center, which they should, then it’s a completely different ball game. The Longhorns are too fast and firming up too much on defense to allow Brewer to beat them unless their own offense craters. But if the Bears mix in quarterback runs with Bohanon and can stretch the field? Could get wild.

Thanks for chiming in, we all know what to watch for now.

Last edited:

becook3108

Dec 11, 2014
Fort Rucker, AL
Pretty crappy feeling thinking about how Baylor's program trajectory is looking better than ours...

I always forget how good their WR class is this year. Interesting he doesn't seem to be high on our DL at all and I am sure he was holding back his real thoughts.

Reactions: Born horn

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
Hey, @travisroeder thanks for joining us! How confident, er perhaps afraid, are you that Texas can execute a game plan to take advantage of Charlie Brewer's flaws?

SlickStreet

Feb 10, 2015
great interview, Ian. Would love you to be the one interviewing Tom Herman, especially after one of the numerous semi-dreadful performances.
I think Travis' general prediction of about 23-17 sounds roughly right.
If we see the typical Texas "attack," we'll get what is deserved--another very close, difficult W. After all, winning is hard.

travisroeder

Aug 6, 2020
Pretty crappy feeling thinking about how Baylor's program trajectory is looking better than ours...

I always forget how good their WR class is this year. Interesting he doesn't seem to be high on our DL at all and I am sure he was holding back his real thoughts.
No, those are my real thoughts. The Stills brothers are just that good. I tried to make it clear that it wasn't really a dis on Texas. Their DL is good.

Reactions: yerfttam

travisroeder

Aug 6, 2020
We’re gonna get killed if they’re as good as this guy makes them out to be on defense. Lol
Baylor's been really good on D, but they've probably played the two worst offenses in the league so far. As I discussed with Ian, the biggest outstanding Q at this time is whether their secondary can hold up against consistent deep shots. I just don't know if Texas will be the team to test that.

Also, while I'd believe just about any result from this game, Baylor killing Texas is probably the least likely of them all. Not with the way Baylor's offense has looked so far. But I do like the D to keep the game ugly for a long time.

travisroeder

Aug 6, 2020
Hey, @travisroeder thanks for joining us! How confident, er perhaps afraid, are you that Texas can execute a game plan to take advantage of Charlie Brewer's flaws?
Well, anybody and their mom should know to flood the middle of the field and ignore the field WR. If Texas doesn't do that, they should fire the coaching staff on the spot.

edit: to add more though, even if Texas does do that it's possible/probable that Texas' inside backers continue to look clueless in pass coverage and allow receptions they shouldn't.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
great interview, Ian. Would love you to be the one interviewing Tom Herman, especially after one of the numerous semi-dreadful performances.
I think Travis' general prediction of about 23-17 sounds roughly right.
If we see the typical Texas "attack," we'll get what is deserved--another very close, difficult W. After all, winning is hard.
It’d have to be 1-on-1 so that I could build up to the tough questions in context. The shoot around availabilities make it impossible for reporters to pin down a coach on an in depth topic.

You need at least a little back and forth for the follow up question.

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
When I mentioned some big12 podcasts projected Texas to 4-5, everyone said that was ridiculous. I think it’s interesting that Travis isn’t surprised that Texas is a lucky onside kick recovery from 0-3 in conference.

SlickStreet

Feb 10, 2015
It’d have to be 1-on-1 so that I could build up to the tough questions in context. The shoot around availabilities make it impossible for reporters to pin down a coach on an in depth topic.

You need at least a little back and forth for the follow up question.
totally makes sense. I'd think the same way. You can only be so blunt without incurring great distrust and self-deflection from the coach in such a case.

travisroeder

Aug 6, 2020
When I mentioned some big12 podcasts projected Texas to 4-5, everyone said that was ridiculous. I think it’s interesting that Travis isn’t surprised that Texas is a lucky onside kick recovery from 0-3 in conference.
Just didn't believe in Herman. Texas is a place where you have to establish the right culture otherwise the elite talent will never develop and cohere.

Last edited:
Reactions: yerfttam and rs2456

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
What was their reasoning though? If it was sheer “lol, Texas sucks” then that’s not impressive. If they pinpointed the areas of struggle that’s different.

Reactions: ccendo

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
What was their reasoning though? If it was sheer “lol, Texas sucks” then that’s not impressive. If they pinpointed the areas of struggle that’s different.
That’s fair, they didn’t have any insights beyond overrated. In hindsight the space force we overcooked was WR and corner.That and Texas doesn’t make the game about space enough to keep the rest of its line from sinking them.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
That’s fair, they didn’t have any insights beyond overrated. In hindsight the space force we overcooked was WR and corner.That and Texas doesn’t make the game about space enough to keep the rest of its line from sinking them.
Cornerback has been good though, that's been a real strength for Texas. There's still some challenges on the schedule, OU wasn't their normal imposing selves, but they've been quite good.

WR is the problem. This team really needed Brennan Eagles to have a big offseason and come in ready to dominate. Instead, Troy Omeire was looking like the guy, then he was lost. Eagles never put it together, and grad transfers Tarik Black and Brenden Schooler look like guys that transferred because they weren't big components at the previous stops.

Don't get me wrong, Black and Schooler are solid players, but neither can handle (thus far at least) playing the X and getting open against an opponent's top cover corner. That's a massive disadvantage for the entire offense, as we saw last year when Collin Johnson was out.

travisroeder

Aug 6, 2020
Cornerback has been good though, that's been a real strength for Texas. There's still some challenges on the schedule, OU wasn't their normal imposing selves, but they've been quite good.

WR is the problem. This team really needed Brennan Eagles to have a big offseason and come in ready to dominate. Instead, Troy Omeire was looking like the guy, then he was lost. Eagles never put it together, and grad transfers Tarik Black and Brenden Schooler look like guys that transferred because they weren't big components at the previous stops.

Don't get me wrong, Black and Schooler are solid players, but neither can handle (thus far at least) playing the X and getting open against an opponent's top cover corner. That's a massive disadvantage for the entire offense, as we saw last year when Collin Johnson was out.
The lack of a strong X receiver is demonstrating their value for turnover prevention. Ehlinger basically never threw picks when he had Johnson and LJH to throw it up to for three years (I know LJH wasn't an X, but same principle applies). Now that he's forcing it over the middle he's getting picked off.

Reactions: sherf1 and Ian Boyd

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
Cornerback has been good though, that's been a real strength for Texas.
I think you had them projected as best in the conference. I don't know that they've been clearly best in the conference. I'm sort of thinking they aren't good enough for Ash to isolate them enough to patch the passing defense holes.

kevinbelt

Oct 15, 2020
Tarik Black ... look like guys that transferred because they weren't big components at the previous stops.
That's accurate. I'm sure Ian's aware since he lives up there, but for the rest of you, Michigan has had great depth at WR for a few years now, but zero development. I'm gloating a bit here, but of their top four receivers last year, one left early to be drafted in the sixth round, one opted out and didn't opt back in, and one (Black) left to go to a team with pretty big question marks on offense (sorry guys). Every year we'd hear how good Michigan's receivers were going to be, and every year they'd fizzle, and finally they've gotten to a point where there's just not really any fizz left.

I think, in an alternate universe, Tarik Black could have been a pretty good player (and for that matter, Donovan Peoples-Jones could have been dominant), but there's something about Jim Harbaugh's offense that just saps his players' enthusiasm for the game. I think you got damaged goods.

Reactions: stilesbbq

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
I think you had them projected as best in the conference. I don't know that they've been clearly best in the conference. I'm sort of thinking they aren't good enough for Ash to isolate them enough to patch the passing defense holes.
They've been isolated every game thus far though and haven't really been punished much. Tech caught them a couple of times, Tech also has some of the better WRs in the league. We'll see what they make of Tylan Wallace and some of the other guys waiting for them but thus far it's been pretty good.

Biggest problem on defense is that the LBs don't know what they're doing.

Geoff Eneman

Nov 17, 2015
Monroe, LA formerly of Longview, TX
They've been isolated every game thus far though and haven't really been punished much. Tech caught them a couple of times, Tech also has some of the better WRs in the league. We'll see what they make of Tylan Wallace and some of the other guys waiting for them but thus far it's been pretty good.

Biggest problem on defense is that the LBs don't know what they're doing.
You think that's a product of coaching, scheme or just the wrong guys out there? I feel like Hultzer knows how to coach, but needs to get Mitchell off the field.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
You think that's a product of coaching, scheme or just the wrong guys out there? I feel like Hultzer knows how to coach, but needs to get Mitchell off the field.
Just hasn't had enough time with these guys, also both were in and out of fall camp for various reasons.

patentjt

Member Who Talks
Aug 14, 2020
looks like we're gonna have a hard time scoring and I think turnovers and field position will be the deciding factors

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
We've given up 1 pass play over 35 yards and 2 over 30, by my count, all year.

Biggest let down for me on defense has probably been Coburn. Got some run stuffs but little else.

Longest pass plays per game

Tech--29
TCU-- 50 and 34 on well covered balls
OU---30 on a zone coverage bust
Baylor--21 yards

Rushing defense has given up a couple more explosives but we've actually been really good at preventing big plays.

We're some better red zone defense and some hands away from a pretty good defensive performance so far this year

Last edited:

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
We've given up 1 pass play over 35 yards and 2 over 30, by my count, all year.

Longest pass plays per game

Tech--29
TCU-- 50 and 34 on well covered balls
OU---30 on a zone coverage bust
Baylor--21 yards
I concur that the cb’s have been ok. My earliest point was looking back at the space force rankings and what’s materialized. They were preseason ranked 1 at CB, and they aren’t the best in the conference. They are top 5 in the conference I think, but not sure where’d I rank them. Of the space force rankings, Cosmi has been pretty good, but not as good as I was expecting. Maybe still best in the conference. Ossai was ranked 2nd, and he’s been close to that but just can’t seem quit get the sacks. WRs have been mostly terrible imo, and they were biggest miss in rankings.

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
I concur that the cb’s have been ok. My earliest point was looking back at the space force rankings and what’s materialized. They were preseason ranked 1 at CB, and they aren’t the best in the conference. They are top 5 in the conference I think, but not sure where’d I rank them. Of the space force rankings, Cosmi has been pretty good, but not as good as I was expecting. Maybe still best in the conference. Ossai was ranked 2nd, and he’s been close to that but just can’t seem quit get the sacks. WRs have been mostly terrible imo, and they were biggest miss in rankings.
Yep.

Might be helpful to looks at both tackles together going forward. Cosmi has been fine but Jones brings the rating way down, which is more accurate.

WR has been a massive disaster. I was skeptical of Eagle, but hoped Sam and depth of talent at WR and better coaching would add up to something. But frankly even Sam had barely held up his end, and depth has been negated by injury.

Smith and Whitt and Troy. Brutal

I'm sticking to my defense is doing fine analysis. More than good enough to win if the offense was holding up it's end.

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
I'm sticking to my defense is doing fine analysis. More than good enough to win if the offense was holding up it's end.
You brought up a good point about ranking both tackles. I think the non-space oriented approach of Texas actually allows the weakness across the entire oline to sink them. But on a similar note on the defense, the weakness of our LBs in coverage also allows teams to attack us in space. That’s not really covered by just considering CB, but this might also be approach specific.

To your greater point about the defense, are they holding opponents under their conference scoring averages? They feel pretty inconsistent to me on a series by series basis. They are capable of getting stops, but it doesn’t shock me when people drive and score. I generally agree they are good enough to win paired with great offense. But I’m not sure they are a net positive, more neutral.

Reactions: sherf1

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
You brought up a good point about ranking both tackles. I think the non-space oriented approach of Texas actually allows the weakness across the entire oline to sink them. But on a similar note on the defense, the weakness of our LBs in coverage also allows teams to attack us in space. That’s not really covered by just considering CB, but this might also be approach specific.

To your greater point about the defense, are they holding opponents under their conference scoring averages? They feel pretty inconsistent to me on a series by series basis. They are capable of getting stops, but it doesn’t shock me when people drive and score. I generally agree they are good enough to win paired with great offense. But I’m not sure they are a net positive, more neutral.
I'd have to look at the numbers, but they held OU to basically 2.5 real TD drives when you account for starting position.

Baylor has one short drive for a TD due to turnover as well.

TCU scores 3 total TDs, one on a fairly short field.

Better red zone defense is really the only big part missing IMO.