The movie you just watched

rawb_stark

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I saw Shazam the other day and I really enjoyed it. Not a fan of most DC movies but this was pretty good.
Agreed, think it as a 7/10 for me. Very funny, along the lines of Aquaman. They should realize those two along with WW is their bread and butter, not just doom/gloom.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Watched The Lobster last night, a dark comedic absurdity about a dystopian society where single people sternly encouraged to no longer be single. After watching The Favourite not too long ago followed by the Lobster, I'm not sure if there's a director right now who can put out a more gorgeous movie than Yorgos Lanthimos. Trying to rate this movie is like trying to rate other weird experiences that are well made but are difficult to define or describe, but I'll give it an 8/10.

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
Watched "Gosnell: The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer" last night.
I won't try to rate it.
But I will say that is was extremely powerful and moving.

It won't change anyone's mind regarding the issue of abortion and I don't think it was designed to do so.
But if we are going to have abortion services we need to make damned sure that they have regulatory oversight, strict licencing laws, and frequent inspections so that evil like this is never allowed again (Gosnell's clinic operated for 30 years and his history before that gives a insight to just what he really was).
Gosnell himself is a cross between Josef Mengele and Hannibal Lecter in the guise of a mild mannered old man.
And his clinic was literally a "House of Horrors".

I would highly recommend everyone watch this movie.

Semper Fi

RIVALWEAR

Jan 12, 2012
watched Robinhood (new version with Jamie Foxx) on the plane yesterday.

It. Was. Awful.

I couldn't get past the costume design (part medieval...part medieval chic). Hair styles were also modern and just didn't fit the film at all. I'm assuming they did this for some artistic purpose, but it just felt odd to me. Also -- in one of the scenes at the end where they are in "the mines" -- all of the people are dirty except for the main characters. They are miraculously clean, without any traces of dirt.

Reactions: bHero and texvet16

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I see, fair enough. I was just looking at in a relative manner as I guess I got a little bit more out of Annihilation than You Were Never Really Here.

I definitely wouldn't recommend Under The Skin to anybody I know. I love my friends, but they aren't near as movie snobby as me, and I couldn't begin to think of how I'd sell Under The Skin. Because even if you said you can see Scarlett without apparel several times, you miss the point of the whole thing.

Anyway, with various sports, rewatches, Netfix series, and other such things taking up my time, I haven't been able to treat myself to as many movies as I usually do lately. Here's a few from me I saw over the past few months in theaters:

Suspiria 8.5/10 -- A palpable sense of dread throughout, killer soundtrack from Thom Yorke, and one of the most bonkers and intense final sequences I have ever watched.

Cold Pursuit 8/10 -- Quirky fun

Captain Marvel 8/10

They Shall Not Grow Old 9.5/10 -- A truly unbelievable technical achievement from Peter Jackson. Highly recommend.

The Mule 7.5/10

Alita: Battle Angel 5.5/10 -- More of a YA movie, which caught me by surprise

Ralph Breaks the Internet 8.5/10

P.S.

Was that supposed to read Upgrade? I'd put that at a 8/10.
Going a little further back to add to other films I saw post-2018 summer season in theaters:

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 9/10

Halloween 8.5/10

First Man 9/10

Bad Times at the El Royale 7.5/10

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
watched Robinhood (new version with Jamie Foxx) on the plane yesterday.

It. Was. Awful.

I couldn't get past the costume design (part medieval...part medieval chic). Hair styles were also modern and just didn't fit the film at all. I'm assuming they did this for some artistic purpose, but it just felt odd to me. Also -- in one of the scenes at the end where they are in "the mines" -- all of the people are dirty except for the main characters. They are miraculously clean, without any traces of dirt.
I love hearing the details on how crappy this movie was

Reactions: bHero

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Pet Sematary 6.5/10 -- It was so close to being real good, but it never fully fleshed out the significance and psychology of death like the book did before it fell into horror tropes.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Yeah the book was really good. I’ve read a dozen or three King novels, and that one is solidly in the top 10.
Ah, well then you would know what I'm getting at. One example, in the book, Rachel's subplot of failing to get over the tragedy of Zelda's death is particularly impactful for the themes it represents. The horror of death to a child, the guilt of dealing with the terminally ill, how death can affect relationships in surviving family members, but especially, a bleak addition to the notion that "sometimes dead is better."

All of this emotion is hyper condensed in the film and what poops out is a couple handpicked quotes from the book, a grotesque character design, and ultimately it just feels like a shallow excuse to increase the jump scare per minute ratio.

Bunch of things like this make it feel like there was meat left on the bone in this remake and I actually don't think you need to have read the book to detect this.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Just watched the movie “ Wind River “. Modern day western that can be watched by male and their better half. Opened at Sundance in 2017 , so it has a message.
Great story and plot. Keeps you on edge.
Great movie.

Written and directed by Taylor Sheridan, who also wrote the screenplays for Hell or High Water and Sicario and who also writes and directs Yellowstone.

He's my favorite writer in Hollywood these days, hands down.

winecoach

Member Who Talks
Feb 22, 2012
Great movie.

Written and directed by Taylor Sheridan, who also wrote the screenplays for Hell or High Water and Sicario and who also writes and directs Yellowstone.

He's my favorite writer in Hollywood these days, hands down.
Hell or High Water provides 2 memories. Jeff Bridges hiking up the ridge , panting hard looking through the scope then finding the smoke. Great writing.
Burying the getaway vehicles.

Reactions: PFD

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
High Life 7.5/10 -- Strange, haunting, challenging, disturbing, methodical mix of science fiction, drama, and horror. Not for everybody.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I watched a couple of movies on planes this week.

Mid 90s

Written and directed by Jonah Hill, and apparently semi-autobiographical, it's about a post-adolescent kid growing up in LA's skateboard culture. Not a great movie, but it's got some humanity to it. I still can't figure out, though, if Hill is asking us to approve of his middle school-aged protagonist getting drunk and high. Feels like its celebratory more than cautionary.

Equalizer 2

If enjoying watching Denzel maim bad guys is wrong, then I don't want to be right. It features Denzel delivering lines like this to a Turkish kidnapper (just after Denzel disassembles the Turk's henchmen in front of him): “There are two kinds of pain in this world. Pain that hurts, and pain that alters. Today, you get to choose.” Pow!

Reactions: TexanBlood

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
'Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile' 6/10

Clunky dialogue, but think Efron/Collins both had really good performances. Efron is someone I could see taking a MM type of career path, he's a very underrated actor. Will just take the right script to land on his desk. Issue is MM seemed to never say no to a role and Efron appears to be the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ktown777

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The Wandering Earth 4/10 -- Apparently the third highest grossing movie of 2019, this Chinese science fiction blockbuster was recently dumped onto Netflix. Hoo boy... Visually it looks great, but I found it to be nothing more than an Asian Roland Emmerich disaster movie.

EDIT: There's also a scene, I found it the low point of the whole deal, where a frustrated person unloads his futuristic machine gun at Jupiter, "**** you, Jupiter! Aaaaaggghhh!" So I guess there's some not great Michael Bay in here too.

Last edited:

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
The wife and I went to see The Long Shot last night (her choice for date night).

It's a reasonably entertaining movie. There are a handful of legitimate LOL moments. Not a particularly memorable movie, but not a waste of time and money, either.

Charlize Theron is great, as usual. Alexander Skarsgard has a tremedously silly cameo role. O'Shea Jackson, Jr. (Little Cube) is good in his supporting role. But I'm officially tired of Seth Rogen's one-trick-pony routine.

There is one meaningful scene, part of the movie's climax, in which Rogen's hyper-liberal journalist character is confronted about how judgmental he is towards people with whom he disagrees politically. It's not particularly well written, but it is refreshing in this day and age.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
From the director of Hereditary.. looking forward to it

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Watched Lone Star, which bored the **** out of my wife due to its length, but I thought it was outstanding. Instead of bashing you over the head with social issues like say, Crash, it weaves the issues in and out of the story masterfully in the backdrop of an interesting murder mystery. 9/10.

winecoach

Member Who Talks
Feb 22, 2012
I am not a fan of a movie based on a real event. However, if it is directed by Clint Eastwood and stars Tom Hanks, then I will watch it.
Awesome
“Sully”

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Hellboy 2/10 -- I gave it a chance because I'm generally a fan of Neil Marshall, but this was just awful.

The Perfection 7/10 -- Twisted, fast-paced psychological horror that just dropped on Netflix. Allison Williams didn't quite hit the mark for me like she did in Get Out (her anger isn't believable to me) and, when they get into CGI use, it's a real letdown. But it keeps you on your toes and moves along.

Last edited:

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Rewatched some ****ed up indie movies, watched JW3, and watched the Red Riding Trilogy

Rewatched:
You Were Never Really Here: amazing movie. 10/10
Starry Eyes: great modern slow burner indie. 9/10
A Dark Song: occult/gnostic demon summoning indie journey. 8.5/10

John Wick 3: it's like the first two, but moreso. 2.5 hours is a long time for a movie with this much action. 8.5/10

Red Riding Trilogy: can't recommend this enough. True Detective-esq in England. 10/10

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Red Riding Trilogy: can't recommend this enough. True Detective-esq in England. 10/10
I've tried the first Red Riding a couple of times and never made it through the first one. Don't know why as it seems right up my alley. Maybe the slow pace? It's been a few years. I should give it another go.

Ktown777

Nov 8, 2015
I really enjoyed Galveston. Incredible acting.

Edit: it’s got the potential to twist you up a bit inside

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 6.5/10 -- They tried to sabotage it with some of the cheesiest **** this side of the eighties, but in the end, the kaiju were too cool to be denied.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
I've been in baby land for a year and half so it's been hard to carve out a full 2+hrs to watch a whole movie. That said, I took a mental health day off of work yesterday and managed to veg my way through two movies.

Finished Blade Runner 2049 after having watched the first 30mins a while back. I was totally into it. Wish I would have seen this in theater. Amazing looking. Director Denis Villeneuve is doing a new Dune movie (or two) and it's a perfect match.

Watched John Wick 2. Super disposable. I really liked the first one. This one didn't really bring much to the table except some nice set pieces. I'm into dumb shoot em ups but where this first one just dropped us into this world and went nuts, this one just was more of the same stuff just without any of the novelty. Meh.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
From the director of Hereditary.. looking forward to it

Jordan Peele is already heaping praise on this one as a unique cinematic experience on the occult.

That was some of the most atrociously disturbing imagery I’ve ever seen on film, and yet I experienced it with this open-mouthed, wild-eyed gape.
That's pretty much how I watched most of Hereditary also. I am so pumped for this film.