The movie you just watched

MikeHdez12

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Watched John Wick 2. Super disposable. I really liked the first one. This one didn't really bring much to the table except some nice set pieces. I'm into dumb shoot em ups but where this first one just dropped us into this world and went nuts, this one just was more of the same stuff just without any of the novelty. Meh.
!!!!!

I have it 2,1,3 in my book but even 3 is an incredible film. I think the sequel not only added some (arguably needed) depth and more interesting characters, but it also effectively changed the protagonist's role from revenge to survival.

The action is what it is (which is outstanding, I don't mean to undersell it) and the engine that drives the franchise, but let's say some execs got around and said, we made a lot of money from this, let's add more to the budget and do it again. What I think is the biggest accomplishment of John Wick 2 is we got a technically superior film that's different from the first and that also established an expanded universe when we easily could've gotten Predator 2.

Oh, and P.S., I'm told fatherhood is a miraculous and perspective altering experience, but if I couldn't watch a movie in nearly two years....

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Oh, and P.S., I'm told fatherhood is a miraculous and perspective altering experience, but if I couldn't watch a movie in nearly two years....
I'm sure I watched a couple here and there but damn if I can remember much. I know I saw the new avengers, black panther, mr Rodgers doc, and there's a few more in there for sure. mostly been watching tv - easier digestible chunks!

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
I saw Detective Pikachu on Saturday, wife and I took her best friend's kids. It was a surprisingly good, deep, fun, and weird movie. Way better than I expected or had any reason to expect. The Ryan Reynolds career renaissance continues.
Sunday we finally watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Blown away by how good it was, again had no reason to expect it to be as good as it was. Animation is amazing and the story is incredibly fun and compelling. Honestly, it may be the best of the various Spider-Man movies!

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
I saw Detective Pikachu on Saturday, wife and I took her best friend's kids. It was a surprisingly good, deep, fun, and weird movie. Way better than I expected or had any reason to expect. The Ryan Reynolds career renaissance continues.
Sunday we finally watched Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Blown away by how good it was, again had no reason to expect it to be as good as it was. Animation is amazing and the story is incredibly fun and compelling. Honestly, it may be the best of the various Spider-Man movies!
Into the Spiderverse was great! I've gotten so I hate all the multiverse BS in movies and comics but they handled it well. Also, it's amazing what having actual characters with motivations and personalities will do for a movie (animated, super hero, or both in this case). I really dug it.

Reactions: idighorns

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Fighting With My Family 7ish out of 10. Got some good laughs, pretty strong cast, I'm not even a wrestling fan to be honest and I found it entertaining.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Biggest Little Farm 9/10, the fact I stayed awake coming off night shift should say something about a farming documentary. Really well shot and doesn't beat you over the head with environmental stuff.

Who wants to give me a few million bucks to go start an organic farm?

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Kinda old news but I watched Hereditary yesterday and it was damn good! I'm not the biggest horror fan but it had a nice, slow creep to it. I liked that there wasn't any sunny-happy intro where you meet the family before things go bad. **** was weird from the start and got worse. Good stuff.

Looking forward to Midsommar by the same writer/director...

Last edited:

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Kinda old news but I watched Hereditary yesterday and it was damn good! I'm not the biggest horror fan but it had a nice, slow creep to it. I liked that there wasn't any sunny-happy intro where you meet the family before things go bad. **** was weird from the start and got worse. Good stuff.

Looking forward to Midsommer by the same writer/director...
My initial thoughts on Midsommar based on the trailer (shown before Us) was that it looked like a rip-off of Wicker Man crossed with Hostel, but its gotten a lot of really good hype from people like Jordan Peele and Hereditary was so good I'm down.

Reactions: dmatx

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
My initial thoughts on Midsommar based on the trailer (shown before Us) was that it looked like a rip-off of Wicker Man crossed with Hostel, but its gotten a lot of really good hype from people like Jordan Peele and Hereditary was so good I'm down.
I don't know if it's as much of a rip-off so much as uses Wicker Man as starting or reference point. I also think they play that up in the trailer. After all, Wicker Man wasn't really that much of what we think of as a "horror movie" these days. Midsommar just seems to hit all my sweet spots - or at least its marketing does.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I always thought of The Witch as something of a companion piece to Hereditary. They're different movies of course, but they share the same studio and carry the same "elevated horror" tone.

So while the excitement builds for Midsommar as Ari Aster's next endeavor and has already been referenced in this thread multiple times, I'd like to also point out that The Lighthouse is Robert Eggers' next movie. Starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, it has been received very well and even scored a major award at Cannes this year.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Watched the deadwood movie, seemed extremely long winded with little substance 4/10

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
I always thought of The Witch as something of a companion piece to Hereditary. They're different movies of course, but they share the same studio and carry the same "elevated horror" tone.

So while the excitement builds for Midsommar as Ari Aster's next endeavor and has already been referenced in this thread multiple times, I'd like to also point out that The Lighthouse is Robert Eggers' next movie. Starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, it has been received very well and even scored a major award at Cannes this year.
I think the Witch is a good companion/comparison to Hereditary. The A24 stuff is just creepy AF. I like it better than jump-scare horror of which I've never been a huge fan. It Comes At Night is up next this weekend.

The Lighthouse looks great! Love Dafoe, still undecided on Patterson but he's doing some interesting movies, for sure.

khaled

Aug 23, 2009
40 acres
I'm off for the summer so I'm spending a lot of time at the movies.
Have seen these three in the past week:
Booksmart- Hilarious. Girl version of Superbad. Lives up to the Rotten Tomatoes hype.
Long shot- Seth Rogan film with cheap laughs. Not his finest.
Late Night- Good idea not very well executed, imo. Great cast.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Toy Story 4 8.5/10 -- What a franchise!

Just for reference, this is what I got:

Toy Story 8.5/10
Toy Story 2 8/10
Toy Story 3 9/10

Much is made of the progression in animation quality since 1995, but it really can be very easy to lose yourself in the beauty of how Toy Story 4 looks on the screen and, as a result, the cinematic techniques that that advancement allows.

Last edited:
Reactions: rawb_stark

sessamoid

Oct 1, 2009
Toy Story 4 8.5/10 -- What a franchise!

Just for reference, this is what I got:

Toy Story 8.5/10
Toy Story 2 8/10
Toy Story 3 9/10

Much is made of the progression in animation quality since 1995, but it really can be very easy to lose yourself in the beauty of how Toy Story 4 looks on the screen and, as a result, the cinematic techniques that that advancement allows.
Yup. Saw this on opening as well. Loved it.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Last night, I saw the Netflix original movie Triple Frontier.

A very good action movie. I’d give it a solid 8/10.

The cast is fantastic (especially for a Netflix outing), including Ben Affleck, Charlie Hunnam, Oscar Isaac, Garrett Hedlund, and Pedro Pascal.

Also a very well-shot movie. You really feel like you’re in the jungles and mountains of Colombia.

Reactions: texvet16

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Finally got to watch Captain Marvel. Really liked it, loved Brie Larsen. Now I know how Fury lost his eye! The post script confused me, it wasn't Brie Larsen as Captain Marvel. I haven't seen Endgame but it didn't look like Larsen even though she is listed as Capt Marvel in it.

sessamoid

Oct 1, 2009
Finally got to watch Captain Marvel. Really liked it, loved Brie Larsen. Now I know how Fury lost his eye! The post script confused me, it wasn't Brie Larsen as Captain Marvel. I haven't seen Endgame but it didn't look like Larsen even though she is listed as Capt Marvel in it.
It’s definitely Larsen in both the post-credit scene and in Endgame. There some story around why she changed her hairstyle between the films, but I forget it what it was.

Reactions: dmatx and TOK2000

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas

One more to add on here. Midsommar looks incredible. The Lighthouse looks incredible. Now dig on this:

Was loved at Sundance. Frustrating that I can't find a release date for US theaters, but it appears we have another banger in 2019. Horror + indie vibe + serious underground hype = I need it.

What an unbelievable year in cinema it's been. Like a thousand harpoons all aimed at my feels and each one hits the bullseye.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
It’s definitely Larsen in both the post-credit scene and in Endgame. There some story around why she changed her hairstyle between the films, but I forget it what it was.
I believe it's a reflection on how her hair style changed in the comics.

Either way, the crack that Rocket made about her taking the time to get another haircut when they were debriefing with Nat had me rolling.

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Last night, I saw the Netflix original movie Triple Frontier.

A very good action movie. I’d give it a solid 8/10.

The cast is fantastic (especially for a Netflix outing), including Ben Affleck, Charlie Hunnam, Oscar Isaac, Garrett Hedlund, and Pedro Pascal.

Also a very well-shot movie. You really feel like you’re in the jungles and mountains of Colombia.
Really enjoyed Triple Frontier and I like the approach Netflix is taking with their original movies.

Reactions: PFD

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Really enjoyed Triple Frontier and I like the approach Netflix is taking with their original movies.
Did you get the sense that they were supposed to be Army Special Forces? Or maybe Delta?

The initial SoCal locale had me thinking SEALs, but then Garrett Hedlund’s character sang the Airborne Rangers song.

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Did you get the sense that they were supposed to be Army Special Forces? Or maybe Delta?

The initial SoCal locale had me thinking SEALs, but then Garrett Hedlund’s character sang the Airborne Rangers song.
My take was they were special forces and the one guy was just randomly singing the Airborne Rangers song.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Revisited Miami Vice for the first time since it came out when I was in college. Turns out still not that great. A bizarre step down in quality for Michael Mann.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I saw The Hate U Give this week.

I have to admit that I went into it with low expectations, because of how often Hollywood has demonstrated its pathetic inability to address complicated, “hot button” issues with a nuanced and even hand.

But, all in all, I liked the movie. It’s not perfect, but I came away with the sense that the filmmakers were trying to be fair to most (if not all) parties and genuinely trying to be productive, rather than simply (and simple-mindedly) provocative.

One of the best things going for the movie is that the acting is excellent.
  • The young lady who plays the protagonist, Starr Carter, is very, very good. She ought to get some award buzz, especially for how well she manages the subtleties of living in two worlds.
  • I’ve long been a Russell Hornsby fan. He bring gravitas and empathy to his roles, especially to this role as the father with a criminal past who’s trying to do right by his family and his neighborhood.
  • Regina Hall is sublimely understated as the mother. Whereas many actresses would have been tempted to overplay this role, she is pitch perfect. Another awards candidate, IMHO.
  • I like Common as an actor. Some of his roles can be two-dimensional, but, for me, his role and his portrayal of the sympathetic black police officer is crucial to the film’s complexity.
  • Anthony Mackie is a boss. Even as a bad guy.
  • The young man who plays Starr’s white boyfriend also did a nice job. Not an easy role.
I thought the filmmakers did a good job of portraying the black community in a realistic and three dimensional way. There are good people doing their best in tough circumstances, bad people who prey on the weak, and lots of in between.

Conversely, however, I thought the filmmakers came up short in how they (mostly) resorted to cheap cliches in their depiction of the white community. All the white characters are wealthy. They fall only into one of two binary camps—fire-breathing racists and black sympathizers—when most white folks live somewhere in the vast middle between those two extremes.

And regarding the film’s narrative construct—a white cop shooting an unarmed black teen—most of its white cast unquestioningly backs the officer, in frequently mindless and over-the-top ways. Even most conservative whites that I know would agree with serious punishment for an officer who shot a kid holding a hair brush and posed no immediate threat to him.

IMO, the movie would have been more realistic, more thoughtful, and more valuable if it had used a police shooting scenario that more accurately reflected the moral ambiguities of many real world examples. White people, even conservatives, can hold officers accountable for bad mistakes that injure or kill people. The movie doesn’t allow us that room.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I saw The Hate U Give this week.

I have to admit that I went into it with low expectations, because of how often Hollywood has demonstrated its pathetic inability to address complicated, “hot button” issues with a nuanced and even hand.

But, all in all, I liked the movie. It’s not perfect, but I came away with the sense that the filmmakers were trying to be fair to most (if not all) parties and genuinely trying to be productive, rather than simply (and simple-mindedly) provocative.

One of the best things going for the movie is that the acting is excellent.
  • The young lady who plays the protagonist, Starr Carter, is very, very good. She ought to get some award buzz, especially for how well she manages the subtleties of living in two worlds.
  • I’ve long been a Russell Hornsby fan. He bring gravitas and empathy to his roles, especially to this role as the father with a criminal past who’s trying to do right by his family and his neighborhood.
  • Regina Hall is sublimely understated as the mother. Whereas many actresses would have been tempted to overplay this role, she is pitch perfect. Another awards candidate, IMHO.
  • I like Common as an actor. Some of his roles can be two-dimensional, but, for me, his role and his portrayal of the sympathetic black police officer is crucial to the film’s complexity.
  • Anthony Mackie is a boss. Even as a bad guy.
  • The young man who plays Starr’s white boyfriend also did a nice job. Not an easy role.
I thought the filmmakers did a good job of portraying the black community in a realistic and three dimensional way. There are good people doing their best in tough circumstances, bad people who prey on the weak, and lots of in between.

Conversely, however, I thought the filmmakers came up short in how they (mostly) resorted to cheap cliches in their depiction of the white community. All the white characters are wealthy. They fall only into one of two binary camps—fire-breathing racists and black sympathizers—when most white folks live somewhere in the vast middle between those two extremes.

And regarding the film’s narrative construct—a white cop shooting an unarmed black teen—most of its white cast unquestioningly backs the officer, in frequently mindless and over-the-top ways. Even most conservative whites that I know would agree with serious punishment for an officer who shot a kid holding a hair brush and posed no immediate threat to him.

IMO, the movie would have been more realistic, more thoughtful, and more valuable if it had used a police shooting scenario that more accurately reflected the moral ambiguities of many real world examples. White people, even conservatives, can hold officers accountable for bad mistakes that injure or kill people. The movie doesn’t allow us that room.
Good review. I randomly picked it up on HBO and thought it was unbelievably well done for how little press I believe it's gotten. Compare it to 'The Way They See Us' and it's quite unknown.

Think I took the white roles a little different than you, but her friend annoyed the **** out of me from the beginning. Guess it's from seeing some people take her stance so many times given some of the recent polarized cases.

The scene/scenario with Emmett Till was a great plot development for me, people who aren't prejudice would like to pretend like hate crimes like that didn't/don't happen and don't want to face the reality. That went beyond the black/white narrative, but anywhere from minorities/gays/etc to me.

The narrative of how media can light a fire under both stances also was really well done IMO. The dash cam footage they had would show the cops' POV and was shown endlessly, having the cops' family tell their side can hit home with many. Just all around really enjoyed it and struck a nerve how real it felt to me, especially with what just happened in Balch Springs.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Watched Murder Mystery last night, Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler. It's a time passer, that's about all. I decided while I like looking at Aniston, I'm tired of Adam Sandler.