The movie you just watched

rawb_stark

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Far From Home - 8.9/10

Such an amazing comic book movie. That was the best web swinging movie possible.

I hate I’ll get teared up anytime Tony is mentioned from now on, but guess that just adds to how amazing RDJ really was.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Yesterday 7.5/10

Yesterday is every bit as grand as I’d hoped.

Danny Boyle is the MF’in truth, yo.
He's great. I thought about making a Danny Boyle power ranking but then I saw his filmography and realized somehow I have a massive incomplete grade on his movies. I've only seen half and I need to rectify that. Really wish Bond 25 didn't fall through with him.

Lily James quietly sneaking in and swiping the cutest thing in the world title over the past couple years?

Also, #neverforget this take:

I don’t hate the Beatles, but I really just don’t get the appeal
o_O

Reactions: PearlandHorn

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
Yesterday 7.5/10

He's great. I thought about making a Danny Boyle power ranking but then I saw his filmography and realized somehow I have a massive incomplete grade on his movies. I've only seen half and I need to rectify that. Really wish Bond 25 didn't fall through with him.

Lily James quietly sneaking in and swiping the cutest thing in the world title over the past couple years?

Also, #neverforget this take:

o_O
All the way on board the Lily James train. Was never quietly for me. She's an angel.

• Love
Reactions: Young Williams

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
All the way on board the Lily James train. Was never quietly for me. She's an angel.
I still haven't seen the Cinderella live action so the first time I saw her was in Baby Driver and I was so very interested. But she somehow pulled off the most girl next door-y girl next door in this movie and, with the accent and everything, I was entranced.

Reactions: PearlandHorn

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Sunshine is so great! Haven't watched it in years, though. Loved his early stuff at the time - Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, Life Less Ordinary (unfairly maligned IMVHO), 28 Day Later (didn't care for The Beach) - but haven't seen most of his later stuff aside from Slumdog. Although, dang, that was 11 years ago. Sheesh - getting old.

khaled

Aug 23, 2009
40 acres
Over the past two weeks I saw:
Toy Story 4-- this one was weak imo.
Yesterday- lots of holes but it was enjoyable.
The Dead Don't Die- I liked it. I can see why many wouldn't like it, especially because of how slow and odd it was. I liked the deadpan delivery and how ****ing random it was. Adam Driver was awesome.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Midsommar 9/10 -- :eek:
The Missus, the Kiddo and I were supposed to fly to Baton Rouge (by way of NOLA) tomorrow for a long weekend visiting friends. Well, Barry the Very Wet Storm has put the kibosh on that but since I already asked for the day off, I'm gonna go ahead and take the Kiddo to daycare and go see Midsommar. The best movies are summer movies watched while playing hooky.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The Missus, the Kiddo and I were supposed to fly to Baton Rouge (by way of NOLA) tomorrow for a long weekend visiting friends. Well, Barry the Very Wet Storm has put the kibosh on that but since I already asked for the day off, I'm gonna go ahead and take the Kiddo to daycare and go see Midsommar. The best movies are summer movies watched while playing hooky.
My dad does this a lot. Probably more than I suspect. Don't exactly blame him. My mom talks too much during movies anyway.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I saw 7 Days in Entebbe earlier this week.

I suppose it didn’t do well because, although based on amazing true events, its tone, setting, and themes seem repetitive of similar movies we’ve seen recently (e.g., Argo).

But a little part of me can’t help wondering if it got panned because it—historically accurately, mind you—shows the deep ties between Islamic terrorism and radical Leftism.

Reactions: texvet16

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
Big Lebowski (at a drive in)

Also saw ready player one recently and was thoroughly entertained. Solid 7.5

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
My dad does this a lot. Probably more than I suspect. Don't exactly blame him. My mom talks too much during movies anyway.
I got see a movie by myself at least 1-2 times each time I'm off. 11 am at alamo on a weekday, can't beat it.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
in the last month

Toy Story 4 - 8/10. Nothing ground breaking but can't help but love those movies

Late Night - 7.5/10 witty and entertaining

Yesterday 6/10 - good when it was music, not so good the rest of the time

Rocketman 7/10 - more of a musical than biopic with music. Still entertaining and can't go wrong with catalog from arguably the top song writing duo of all time.

The Cold Blue 9/10 - HBO documetary made with archival footage from the 8th Air Force during WII. Has voice overs from handful of surviving 8th AF vets.

Last edited:

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Yesterday 6/10 - good when it was music, not so good the rest of the time
Actually thought the rom-com elements outside the music was pretty good myself but aight.

When I went to go see it, there was a trailer for what appears to be a tonally similar Springsteen movie. Guess making movies out of musicians is in fashion. Queen, Elton John, The Beatles, now Bruce Springsteen. Don't really care for The Boss myself.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Actually thought the rom-com elements outside the music was pretty good myself but aight.

When I went to go see it, there was a trailer for what appears to be a tonally similar Springsteen movie. Guess making movies out of musicians is in fashion. Queen, Elton John, The Beatles, now Bruce Springsteen. Don't really care for The Boss myself.
Yep all the rage right now

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
those were great movies
True. I haven’t seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet and have little interest in Rocketman.
I read the Springsteen autobiography so have no need or interest in a movie. Besides, we had Eddie and the Cruisers back in the day.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Crawl 6.5/10 -- Totally different tone than what I expected. Thought it was gonna be goofy and dumb and instead I got taut and dramatically heavy. The script was so poor in the first twenty or so minutes it was distracting, but once we get down to business, it hums along. I do miss the days of practical creature effects and there were some touchy spots here and there.

So this was helmed by Alexandre Aja with a producing credit for Sam Raimi. I don't think anything needs to be said for Raimi, but Aja may not be as well known. I am a huge fan of all types of horror as well as the work of the splat pack directors and I think Aja's name gets glossed over a bit amongst the others in that troupe. His is certainly a formidable filmography. High Tension put him on the map, followed it with The Hills Have Eyes, Piranha 3-D (which had the goofy irreverence that I thought Crawl was going to resemble), and Maniac. All solid films of the genre with shocking gore that can be surprisingly deep.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
True. I haven’t seen Bohemian Rhapsody yet and have little interest in Rocketman.
I read the Springsteen autobiography so have no need or interest in a movie. Besides, we had Eddie and the Cruisers back in the day.
Bohemian Rhapsody is truly among the worst films I have ever seen. Just... bad. Just a series of scenes with no connection with each other. There's no "there" there.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
I should have been more clear - kiddo going to daycare, wife and I taking the day and going to drafthouse to gorge ourselves on wings and pizza and watch a movie.

Wife and I both loved Midsommar. Didn't think it was scary at all - disconcerting, shocking, trippy, weird - but not scary. I dug it. Ari Aster is 2/2 for his films so far. Neither one is perfect but just really solid, interesting pieces of filmmaking. With regards to @idighorns concerns about it being a Wicker Man ripoff - well, it's closer to Wicker Man than I thought it would be. I read something about how Wicker Man is when a Christian mindset encounters a violent pagan world and Midsommar is when a liberal, academic mindset encounters the same. Two side of the same coin. Completely different stories/plots, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: idighorns

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I should have been more clear - kiddo going to daycare, wife and I takign the day and going to drafthouse to gorge ourselves on wings and pizza and watch a movie.

Wife and I both loved Midsommar. Didn't think it was scary at all - disconcerting, shocking, trippy, weird - but not scary. I dug it. Ari Aster is 2/2 for his films so far. Neither one is perfect but just really solid, interesting pieces of filmmaking. With regards to @idighorns concerns about it being a Wicker Man ripoff - well, it's closer to Wicker Man than I thought it would be. I read something about how Wicker Man is when a Christian mindset encounters a violent pagan world and Midsommar is when a liberal, academic mindset encounters the same. Two side of the same coin. Completely different stories/plots, though.
I didn't think it was very scary either but I wasn't anticipating it would be. Hereditary scared the hell out of me, but it dug at what gets me. Possession, demons, hell, ghosties, all of that stuff freaks me out (and I will disagree with you on Hereditary, I thought if not perfect, it was pretty damn close to perfect). Midsommar, which I will watch again before it leaves theaters I imagine, was more of a surreal trip, but it was one hell of a trip. The visuals were so striking. The way everything was alive when they were high, the flowers breathing and people mending with the landscape. The way the camera lilts around fancifully as it contrasts with the eerie soundtrack. The detail in the costumes.
There is a very brief scene at the end, among all the other things that are burned into your memory, that stuck with me. As the secret house is in flames, Dani, now the May Queen, is screaming in terror, and struggling to avert her gaze but it is so difficult to move because she is dressed head to toe in an immense gown of flowers. That bit of direction, like the disembodied head covered in ants in Hereditary, is the scene that sticks the most to me.
And shout out to practical effects which can make a movie so much more effective, particularly when it wants to be grotesque.

Aster is indeed 2/2, but this film was obviously very similar to his first, especially the first act. He's hinted this is because he's going through **** in his own life personally and it's being translated to screen but it seems like he wants us to know his next feature will try to engage in a different way.

Reactions: dmatx

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
I didn't think it was very scary either but I wasn't anticipating it would be. Hereditary scared the hell out of me, but it dug at what gets me. Possession, demons, hell, ghosties, all of that stuff freaks me out (and I will disagree with you on Hereditary, I thought if not perfect, it was pretty damn close to perfect). Midsommar, which I will watch again before it leaves theaters I imagine, was more of a surreal trip, but it was one hell of a trip. The visuals were so striking. The way everything was alive when they were high, the flowers breathing and people mending with the landscape. The way the camera lilts around fancifully as it contrasts with the eerie soundtrack. The detail in the costumes.
There is a very brief scene at the end, among all the other things that are burned into your memory, that stuck with me. As the secret house is in flames, Dani, now the May Queen, is screaming in terror, and struggling to avert her gaze but it is so difficult to move because she is dressed head to toe in an immense gown of flowers. That bit of direction, like the disembodied head covered in ants in Hereditary, is the scene that sticks the most to me.
And shout out to practical effects which can make a movie so much more effective, particularly when it wants to be grotesque.

Aster is indeed 2/2, but this film was obviously very similar to his first, especially the first act. He's hinted this is because he's going through **** in his own life personally and it's being translated to screen but it seems like he wants us to know his next feature will try to engage in a different way.
I read somewhere that he only pitched horror movies because they were the easiest to get initial financing for and doesn't consider himself a horror director. I'm on board for whatever he decides to do next.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I read somewhere that he only pitched horror movies because they were the easiest to get initial financing for and doesn't consider himself a horror director. I'm on board for whatever he decides to do next.
That's awesome. As we've noted, Hereditary was a horror film, Midsommar was I guess a folk horror, which is so much more offbeat, it might as well be a different genre. But in both cases you can see a director that A) Has a flair for creating intensely dramatic sequences (the family dinner scene in Hereditary, OMG!) and B) Can draw absolutely brilliant, all-in performances from his actors. Those qualities can translate to anything and I'd love to see him tackle a Fincher type suspense thriller or perhaps a creature feature of some sort. Very, very excited about Aster's future.

Reactions: dmatx

mikeylew21

Oct 29, 2008
Sparks, NV
Just finished Hotel Mumbai. It was intense and emotional. Was watching on my phone with headphones, and my daughter kept asking, “What?” because I was talking out loud so much. Did a great job of portraying the fear and desperation during a terrorist attack.