This week in Flyover recruiting (9/2-9/8)

wabash

Member Who Talks
Apr 3, 2017
I really want to go longform about this UTSA class. Traylor really is pitching a near perfect game.

Locking down great talent in the SA area, finding value in East/SE Texas and the valley, getting a fair amount of Juco/transfers in the program.

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Staff member
Sep 23, 2009
UTSA is recruiting lights out under Jeff Traylor. The JUCO DL's committed are studs. There are some terrific evaluations in this class. Keithron Lee being one. Interesting to see how many UTSA holds onto.

Also will be interesting to see how long Traylor is at UTSA if he has success. My bet is he's a Big 12 head coach in two or three years. His QB transfer is big in the equation.

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
UTSA is recruiting lights out under Jeff Traylor. The JUCO DL's committed are studs. There are some terrific evaluations in this class. Keithron Lee being one. Interesting to see how many UTSA holds onto.

Also will be interesting to see how long Traylor is at UTSA if he has success. My bet is he's a Big 12 head coach in two or three years. His QB transfer is big in the equation.
If he can get some o-linemen, they’ll make a little noise. He’s looking everywhere. Literally.

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Staff member
Sep 23, 2009
If he can get some o-linemen, they’ll make a little noise. He’s looking everywhere. Literally.
All those G5's have that same issue. Great thing for them, masking the OL is the easiest thing to do in college FB these days.

Memphis had the worst OL in the AAC last season.

The grad transfer QB gives UTSA a legit shot to ascend the next two years. Saturday will be interesting for them, Texas State looked improved, and has one under their belt now.

mcb0703!

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Feb 6, 2015

Traylor gonna Traylor.

Don’t be shocked when he’s doing this at a bigger program in three years.
If Matt Wells continues being Matt Wells at TTU, & Jeff Traylor continues his rise, Traylor & TTU would seem like an easy call in a couple of years

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst
Staff member
Sep 23, 2009
If Matt Wells continues being Matt Wells at TTU, & Jeff Traylor continues his rise, Traylor & TTU would seem like an easy call in a couple of years
Totally agree with you. Or even TCU if GP retires in a couple of years.

Reactions: Ian Boyd

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
Traylor is just the guy for that job, good call.
Agree on TCU as well...

I never understood the Tubberville or Wells hires at TTU; this state is so connected that finding a HC with in-state ties would be so much better for a school like TTU, or really any school in Texas

& from a recruiting perspective, Traylor has 20 commits (ranked 78th) to Wells' 9 commits (ranked 79th)

Maybe the Wells name is the problem

@Justin Wells

Reactions: wabash

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
I've heard TCU is inclined to hire from within again, I don't know how solid that is. Also, I'm not sure what coaches within are worthy of that responsibility. Gary better win some dang games in the next two years if he wants to have a say in that decision, see Snyder, Bill.

Reactions: wabash