Thoughts on new Rivals 100 rankings (Texas players)

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Rivals released preseason rankings on Monday. These are always interesting to parse, particularly as a cycle moves from the early to middle and then to late stages. The closer to National Signing Day we get the more accurate rankings become as the market tends to correct based on coaches' evaluations rather than people such as my self.

In the beginning of a cycle, writers know classes better than schools. Well, at least this was true just a short time ago before programs became stocked with personnel departments and started holding satellite camps. Now it's relatively even in the early stages.

With rankings, writers and coaches become unwitting accomplices. As a player picks up elite offers, his ranking is sure to spike. That's not always true (look at UT's own Connor Williams as an example) but is for the most part.

I'll release my own Top 100 this week, but for now I'll offer thoughts on the prospects listed from Texas.

2. DT Marvin Wilson, Bellaire Episcopal: Rivals has been very high on Wilson since the start. For me there are two ways to look at him: his floor - which is phenomenally high - and his ceiling - which isn't quite as high as some others, in my opinion. He's certainly a 5-star and he'll translate to college ball immediately with his combination of size, power, and agility, but I think he's already closer to being a finished product than most others. I'd love to see him lean up and perhaps get even quicker.

Schools in the running: LSU, UT, OU, USC, FSU

4. LB Baron Browning, Kennedale: Here's where you see a very high floor and very high ceiling. He's a safe 5-star because of his mentality and baseline size/athleticism. He'll maximize for sure, and with his room for physical growth he may become a rush OLB/DE. Browning's in the same class as Malik Jefferson who was my #1 in 2015. For my money he's the best player in the state and perhaps the nation.

Schools in the running: Ohio State, Texas, UCLA, TCU

10. CB Jeffrey Okudah, S. Grand Prairie: "Bear" as I like to call him is a rare athlete at the position. I mean, he SPARQ tested in the 140's on his first try to finish second. He can run, and he'll strike. He's a good enough athlete to play offense in college. Some question whether or not he can stick at corner - as I once did - but I'm convinced he can stay at CB if that's where he truly wants to play.

Schools in the running: Ohio State, Oklahoma

25. OT Walker Little, Bellaire Episcopal: On the back-end of the 5-stars sits Little. I think he's can't miss and that's not something you want to say too often about offensive linemen. With his size and ability to play with a flat back, coupled with his mindset and increased strength, I think he's an early round draft pick. I'd have him ranked higher. He's able to take coaching and put it to use immediately.

Schools in the running: Texas, Stanford, Ole Miss

34. OL Austin Deculus, Cy Fair: Deculus profiles as a giant, barrel-chested mauler who will lean on defensive linemen for the length of a game. I think he's a guard where his size and ability to anchor and get a push will be a boon. This is probably a little high for him.

Schools in the running: Committed to LSU

52. TE Brock Wright, Cy Fair: Wright will kick your ass as a blocker; one of the best blocking TE's I can recall. He offers you value in the passing game from in-line and can swing outside, but he's not Kaden Smith as a receiver. Still, a total pleasure to watch block and Notre Dame will get tons of value out of him.

Schools in the running: Committed to Notre Dame

54. RB JK Dobbins, La Grange: Slowly but surely he's distanced himself from the ill-fitting APB label. Truth be told he's a volume carry back in the mold of Doug Martin. He's not small, quit the opposite, he's just more compact. Dobbins is an all around player and person. When the mental side of evaluation is the hardest to know, you can rest assured Dobbins will maximize. He'll be able to get tough yards between the tackles; he'll be able to exploit space.

Schools in the running: Ohio State, Texas, maybe A&M

66. OL Tyrese Robinson, McKinney Boyd: This ranking sounds about right, though with his athleticism he can be a little higher. He's my #2 OL in the state behind Little. OU is getting a good one here. I'm a big fan of Robinson on the move.

Schools in the running: Committed to OU

76. QB Chris Robison, Mesquite Horn: Robison's a smart, confident quarterback who will execute the Sooner scheme perfectly, but I don't know if he has the physical traits to warrant this ranking. That said, with the weapons the Sooners are stock-piling I expect him to have a good career.

86. CB Chevin Calloway, Bishop Dunne: Good feet and smart (he reminds of Quandre Diggs in that regard), it's fun to see Calloway bail on his receiver to pick a ball off. One question: is his physical upside and make-up speed worthy of this ranking? He's certainly a good player but I think Saiid Adebo might have the second most upside of in-state CB's.

Schools in the running: Committed to Iowa

100. QB Sam Ehlinger, Westlake: We've seen him will his team to an excellent season so we know he has the intangibles. We've also seen him dangerous as a runner. Perhaps his greatest trait is his ability to improvise and keep plays alive. The big question for him will be to not get too bulky and lose flexibility in his upper body as a passer.

Schools in the running: Committed to Texas

Notable absences:

Here are some players who are easy to make a case for. Obviously you can't add everyone who is worthy.

DE Lagaryonn Carson, DE K'Lavon Chaisson, LB Anthony Hines, WR Omar Manning, WR Damion Miller, OL Jack Anderson, WR Jalen Reagor, S Robert Barnes, OL Chuck Filiaga

Last edited:

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
Rivals released preseason rankings on Monday. These are always interesting to parse, particularly as a cycle moves from the early to middle and then to late stages. The closer to National Signing Day we get the more accurate rankings become as the market tends to correct based on coaches' evaluations rather than people such as my self.

In the beginning of a cycle, writers know classes better than schools. Well, at least this was true just a short time ago before programs became stocked with personnel departments and started holding satellite camps. Now it's relatively even in the early stages.

With rankings, writers and coaches become unwitting accomplices. As a player picks up elite offers, his ranking is sure to spike. That's not always true (look at UT's own Connor Williams as an example) but is for the most part.

I'll release my own Top 100 this week, but for now I'll offer thoughts on the prospects listed from Texas.

2. DT Marvin Wilson, Bellaire Episcopal: Rivals has been very high on Wilson since the start. For me there are two ways to look at him: his floor - which is phenomenally high - and his ceiling - which isn't quite as high as some others, in my opinion. He's certainly a 5-star and he'll translate to college ball immediately with his combination of size, power, and agility, but I think he's already closer to being a finished product than most others. I'd love to see him lean up and perhaps get even quicker.

4. LB Baron Browning, Kennedale: Here's where you see a very high floor and very high ceiling. He's a safe 5-star because of his mentality and baseline size/athleticism. He'll maximize for sure, and with his room for physical growth he may become a rush OLB/DE. Browning's in the same class as Malik Jefferson who was my #1 in 2015. For my money he's the best player in the state and perhaps the nation.

10. CB Jeffrey Okudah, S. Grand Prairie: "Bear" as I like to call him is a rare athlete at the position. I mean, he SPARQ tested in the 140's on his first try to finish second. He can run, and he'll strike. He's a good enough athlete to play offense in college. Some question whether or not he can stick at corner - as I once did - but I'm convinced he can stay at CB if that's where he truly wants to play.

25. OT Walker Little, Bellaire Episcopal: On the back-end of the 5-stars sits Little. I think he's can't miss and that's not something you want to say too often about offensive linemen. With his size and ability to play with a flat back, coupled with his mindset and increased strength, I think he's an early round draft pick. I'd have him ranked higher. He's able to take coaching and put it to use immediately.

34. OL Austin Deculus, Cy Fair: Deculus profiles as a giant, barrel-chested mauler who will lean on defensive linemen for the length of a game. I think he's a guard where his size and ability to anchor and get a push will be a boon. This is probably a little high for him.

52. TE Brock Wright, Cy Fair: Wright will kick your ass as a blocker; one of the best blocking TE's I can recall. He offers you value in the passing game from in-line and can swing outside, but he's not Kaden Smith as a receiver. Still, a total pleasure to watch block and Notre Dame will get tons of value out of him.

54. RB JK Dobbins, La Grange: Slowly but surely he's distanced himself from the ill-fitting APB label. Truth be told he's a volume carry back in the mold of Doug Martin. He's not small, quit the opposite, he's just more compact. Dobbins is an all around player and person. When the mental side of evaluation is the hardest to know, you can rest assured Dobbins will maximize. He'll be able to get tough yards between the tackles; he'll be able to exploit space.

66. OL Tyrese Robinson, McKinney Boyd: This ranking sounds about right, though with his athleticism he can be a little higher. He's my #2 OL in the state behind Little. OU is getting a good one here. I'm a big fan of Robinson on the move.

76. QB Chris Robison, Mesquite Horn: Robison's a smart, confident quarterback who will execute the Sooner scheme perfectly, but I don't know if he has the physical traits to warrant this ranking. That said, with the weapons the Sooners are stock-piling I expect him to have a good career.

86. CB Chevin Calloway, Bishop Dunne: Good feet and smart (he reminds of Quandre Diggs in that regard), it's fun to see Calloway bail on his receiver to pick a ball off. One question: is his physical upside and make-up speed worthy of this ranking? He's certainly a good player but I think Saiid Adebo might have the second most upside of in-state CB's.

100. QB Sam Ehlinger, Westlake: We've seen him will his team to an excellent season so we know he has the intangibles. We've also seen him dangerous as a runner. Perhaps his greatest trait is his ability to improvise and keep plays alive. The big question for him will be to not get too bulky and lose flexibility in his upper body as a passer.

Schools in the running: Texas

Notable absences:

Here are some players who are easy to make a case for. Obviously you can't add everyone who is worthy.

DE Lagaryonn Carson, DE K'Lavon Chaisson, LB Anthony Hines, WR Omar Manning, WR Damion Miller, OL Jack Anderson, WR Jalen Reagor, S Robert Barnes, OL Chuck Filiaga
Reagor, Chaisson, and Manning missing is a joke.

Carson, Hines, and Miller would be in next 50.

goforbroke

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
tulsa
Ehlinger at #100. Why? I guess he isn't officially committed to Texas? I realize it is very early in the recruiting cycle , however it would make me feel better if a couple of those top guys had a committed to Texas by their name. From my little pedestal , my comment and question is Texas needs to win big time this year to sway those studs to the 40. BTW, nice new format. You guys don't let the grass grow under your feet.

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
Good list. Agree on the snubs, Hines, Chaisson and Manning would make it for me and Carson would be top 40 if he was a shoe-in academically.

Anything to see on Robert Barnes? I thought I read he's more open to Texas than thought.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Good list. Agree on the snubs, Hines, Chaisson and Manning would make it for me and Carson would be top 40 if he was a shoe-in academically.

Anything to see on Robert Barnes? I thought I read he's more open to Texas than thought.
I don't think so on Barnes. He's had interest in the past but I don't see a legacy breaking from that tight-knit group.

Maybe LJH will get in his ear but I don't see it right now.

Another consideration is if UT even takes another safety to pair with Estell.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
Also interesting that Moses lost his 5th star

Delpit would have been #11 in the state

Calloway is still benefiting from people knowing about him earlier than someone like Vincent Jr

I'll take Ehlinger over Robinson every day of the year

Browning, Little, Okudah and Wilson all look like top ten in the country type of prospects. Of course I'm not going to try and compare them to every national top prospect, but I think of them as top ten types.

Tater Tot the #1 ranked QB in the nation? Bwahahahaha. Dude probably is never going to start at tOSU if he sticks with his commitment there.

Horn18

Mar 22, 2012
How many wins do we need to have to get the Wilson, Browning, Little, & Dobbins sweep? Let's just quantify this thing, for fun.

Reactions: Burnt 4 Life

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Also interesting that Moses lost his 5th star

Delpit would have been #11 in the state

Calloway is still benefiting from people knowing about him earlier than someone like Vincent Jr

I'll take Ehlinger over Robinson every day of the year

Browning, Little, Okudah and Wilson all look like top ten in the country type of prospects. Of course I'm not going to try and compare them to every national top prospect, but I think of them as top ten types.

Tater Tot the #1 ranked QB in the nation? Bwahahahaha. Dude probably is never going to start at tOSU if he sticks with his commitment there.
A lot of people see Moses as maxed out. Even so, he's still a fine prospect.

It's crazy they have Martell that high but they have him #3 behind Hunter Johnson and Davis Mills. I'm a big fan of Mills.

Brandon S.

Member Who Talks
Jan 30, 2016
How many wins do we need to have to get the Wilson, Browning, Little, & Dobbins sweep? Let's just quantify this thing, for fun.
I would love nothing more than to see this happen just to see the endless Aggie tears.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013

It's crazy they have Martell that high but they have him #3 behind Hunter Johnson and Davis Mills. I'm a big fan of Mills.
My bad, I saw Rivals headline that said something like "Martell #1?" and didn't click on it so I assumed they had him at #1.

It's difficult seeing Tater ever starting at tOSU with him being a year behind Haskins and a year before Emory Jones who tOSU fans think is their best QB commit in years. Also I've heard that tOSU is higher on 2017 commit Danny Clark than Tater.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
So Ohio State has 11 players currently in the Rivals top 100 and are the favorite for Okudah. They might lose Dobbins but could replace him with Akers.

Selvinsankle

Oct 29, 2008
My takeways from this list:
1) Houston Episcopal should dominate TAPPS.
2) Harbaugh can't be happy with that list as it reads now: Meyer with four of top 20, five top 30 (and counting).​

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
1) Houston Episcopal should dominate TAPPS.
2) Harbaugh can't be happy with that list as it reads now: Meyer with four of top 20 (and counting).​
Harbs has had some Charlie Strong type prospects in the last couple of classes who are relatively unknown and lower ranked when he takes their commitment but who later blow up.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015

Schools in the running: Texas

Notable absences:

Wilson @ #2 is somewhat akin to Rivals having Jamarcus McFarland-Shipp @ #3 before his drop. I'd still have Okudah, Little, & Browning ahead of Wilson in the state rankings

Doc Longhorn

Oct 29, 2008
Houston, Texas
You have alluded to this several times, but how good will the OU class be and why? Compared to UT - if we get the players you think we will? And who is their Malik Jefferson and who is the recruiting siren for them?

Reactions: goforbroke

cordsamuels

Dec 6, 2013
America

Give me Mills all day over Johnson and obviously over Tater.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
You have alluded to this several times, but how good will the OU class be and why? Compared to UT - if we get the players you think we will? And who is their Malik Jefferson and who is the recruiting siren for them?
I would think OU's class finishes ranked higher than UT. Not only is it good on a per player basis, it will also be a large class (north of 25).

It's a group recruiting effort from OU players with the DFW commits doing a lot of work in Texas.

The Malik effect was an anomaly that happens rarely.

jacoblangston1

Nov 3, 2008
I love these lists, but put way more stock in Eric's analysis. He's been dead on the last several years I've followed him.

Lots of high end Texas talent. Been said a million times but we need to win this year. If we do I will consider the rebuild officially complete as we haul in another top 10 class that's arguably better than '15 and '16.

Glory days ahead if we can get to 8 or more wins

Reactions: UTexasfootball

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
interesting that Jack Anderson is out of the 100. Composite top 50, 247 #58.
I mean he's pretty damn good. I haven't seen enough guys yet to know if he's top 100 or maybe more of a top 200 guy. One thing I'm pretty sure of is most any school would take his commitment.

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
I mean he's pretty damn good. I haven't seen enough guys yet to know if he's top 100 or maybe more of a top 200 guy. One thing I'm pretty sure of is most any school would take his commitment.
Maybe because he's not a tackle? Idk

Reactions: malaise

Fuddy

Sep 15, 2013
State rankings:

1) Marvin Wilson
2) Baron Browning
3) Jeffrey Okudah
4) Walker Little
5) Austin Deculus
6) Brock Wright
7) JK Dobbins
8) Tyrese Robinson
9) Chris Robison
10) Chevin Calloway
* ) Grand Delpit
11) Sam Ehlinger
*) Kellen Mond
12) Eno Benjamin
13) Shawn Robinson
*) Jhamon Ausbon
14) Chuck Filiaga
15) Hezekiah Jones
16) Wes Harris
17) Derrick Tucker
18) Cedarian Lamb
19) Charleston Rambo
20) Omar Manning
21) LaGaryonn Carson
22) Robert Barnes
23) Tyrell Shavers
24) Toenail Carter
25) Damion Miller
26) Jack Anderson
27) Anthony Hines
28) Jaylon Jackson
29) Grayson Reed

* means IMG players who are from Texas

No Chaisson, Vincent or Reagor is a bad look, imo. So is Hines being the #27 ranked player in the state.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
State rankings:

1) Marvin Wilson
2) Baron Browning
3) Jeffrey Okudah
4) Walker Little
5) Austin Deculus
6) Brock Wright
7) JK Dobbins
8) Tyrese Robinson
9) Chris Robison
10) Chevin Calloway
* ) Grand Delpit
11) Sam Ehlinger
*) Kellen Mond
12) Eno Benjamin
13) Shawn Robinson
*) Jhamon Ausbon
14) Chuck Filiaga
15) Hezekiah Jones
16) Wes Harris
17) Derrick Tucker
18) Cedarian Lamb
19) Charleston Rambo
20) Omar Manning
21) LaGaryonn Carson
22) Robert Barnes
23) Tyrell Shavers
24) Toenail Carter
25) Damion Miller
26) Jack Anderson
27) Anthony Hines
28) Jaylon Jackson
29) Grayson Reed

No Chaisson, Vincent or Reagor is a bad look, imo. So is Hines being the #27 ranked player in the state.
this list sucks

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
yea the 247 composite is pretty decent it seems. it collects all the nuts the blind squirrels find.

it's really hard for them to do it but they advertise it like it's gospel so yea whatever.

bevoboy94

Member Who Talks
1) Houston Episcopal should dominate TAPPS.​

Episcopal is in Southest Prep not TAPPS, but yes they may be able to dominate TAPPS too. I know they play St. Thomas but I do not think they play an of the other Houston TAPPS (They do play Prestonwood Christian which is TAPPS - Dallas). They should have no problems with their schedule.​

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
State rankings:

1) Marvin Wilson
2) Baron Browning
3) Jeffrey Okudah
4) Walker Little
5) Austin Deculus
6) Brock Wright
7) JK Dobbins
8) Tyrese Robinson
9) Chris Robison
10) Chevin Calloway
* ) Grand Delpit
11) Sam Ehlinger
*) Kellen Mond
12) Eno Benjamin
13) Shawn Robinson
*) Jhamon Ausbon
14) Chuck Filiaga
15) Hezekiah Jones
16) Wes Harris
17) Derrick Tucker
18) Cedarian Lamb
19) Charleston Rambo
20) Omar Manning
21) LaGaryonn Carson
22) Robert Barnes
23) Tyrell Shavers
24) Toenail Carter
25) Damion Miller
26) Jack Anderson
27) Anthony Hines
28) Jaylon Jackson
29) Grayson Reed

They chose Jaylon Jackson who will miss his senior year over Reagor, huh.