Tri-tip

Snuggles

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jul 19, 2015
hey @eodhorn

This is a good place for tri-tip talk.

I was born and lived in Santa Maria until I was 13. I don’t get back as much as I’d like, but I keep making tri-tip for guests. My father once asked a Santa Maria Elks club member for a rub suggestion and was told 1/3 course ground pepper and 2/3 Lawry’s Garlic salt. I still use it. I smoke it on the big green egg at about 220 for about 3 hours.

A perfect tri-tip doesn’t compare to a perfect brisket, but it’s still pretty amazing. 3 hours at the smoker beats 14.

What’s your rub?

blankotx

Nov 18, 2013
hey @eodhorn

I was born and lived in Santa Maria until I was 13. I don’t get back as much as I’d like, but I keep making tri-tip for guests. My father once asked a Santa Maria Elks club member for a rub suggestion and was told 1/3 course ground pepper and 2/3 Lawry’s Garlic salt. I still use it. I smoke it on the big green egg at about 220 for about 3 hours.

A perfect tri-tip doesn’t compare to a perfect brisket, but it’s still pretty amazing. 3 hours at the smoker beats 14.

What’s your rub?
I’m here for this. It was sold at the butcher that opened and closed quickly at Walsh Tarleton and Bee Caves, but I’m sure I can find it in Austin. If you know a spot please share.

I actually feel like I’ve seen it at Costco(who has great meat).

Anyways, tell me like a beginner. How do I pick a good tri tip? I’m a fair to good smoker/griller/flame broiler, so I know how to use all the tools just fine.

Snuggles

Jul 19, 2015
I’m here for this. It was sold at the butcher that opened and closed quickly at Walsh Tarleton and Bee Caves, but I’m sure I can find it in Austin. If you know a spot please share.

Anyways, tell me like a beginner. How do I pick a good tri tip? I’m a fair to good smoker/griller/flame broiler, so I know how to use all the tools just fine.
Up in the DFW burbs, Central Market and Market Street have good cuts. Any butcher in any market should make it for you, if you give them a little time.

Reactions: eodhorn

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
hey @eodhorn

What’s your rub?

Santa Maria Tri-Tip seasoning

1 Tbsp Kosher salt

1 Tbsp finely ground black pepper

1 Tbsp garlic salt

1 Tbsp onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp dried oregano

1 teaspoon dry rosemary (or fresh, finely minced)

1/2 teaspoon dry sage

Makes enough for a large Tri-tip with a little left over. I grill mine on top rack on low heat (around 250) fat down to start. Check regularly until the non-fat side begins to “sweat”. Then turn it over and cook for 2/3 time it took to “sweat”. Yields Medium Tips to medium rare with the very center (usually 6-7 healthy slices) being rare. Cuts with a fork.

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona

Want one side to have a solid fat base.(the side I grill facing down until top sweats). Light marbling throughout.

What I love about Tri-tip is it’s cheap as hell. A good size Tri-tip here in Surprise, AZ is about 12-15 bucks and feeds 5.

Snuggles

Jul 19, 2015

Santa Maria Tri-Tip seasoning

1 Tbsp Kosher salt

1 Tbsp finely ground black pepper

1 Tbsp garlic salt

1 Tbsp onion powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp dried oregano

1 teaspoon dry rosemary (or fresh, finely minced)

1/2 teaspoon dry sage

Makes enough for a large Tri-tip with a little left over. I grill mine on top rack on low heat (around 250) fat down to start. Check regularly until the non-fat side begins to “sweat”. Then turn it over and cook for 2/3 time it took to “sweat”. Yields Medium Tips to medium rare with the very center (usually 6-7 healthy slices) being rare. Cuts with a fork.
I’ll have to try that rub.

EOD’s cooking method is probably closer to what people are used to seeing with tri-tip (east of the Rockies, people aren’t used to it at all.)

I’ve started smoking it in more of a Texas BBQ style because smoke makes everything better. I use pecan, but hickory is pretty good too.

okchorn

Member Who Talks
May 5, 2012
hey @eodhorn

What’s your rub?
My wife’s family is from that area. Headed there this summer.
Trader Joe’s sells a tri tip that is marinated. It’s pretty good.

Snuggles

Jul 19, 2015
My wife’s family is from that area. Headed there this summer.
Trader Joe’s sells a tri tip that is marinated. It’s pretty good.
Hah! Marinade? You bring “marinade” to a Texas centric board?

There’s some dude that was actually allowed to trademark “Santa Maria Barbecue,” and he sells a pre-packaged marinaded tri-tip. It sucks.

Iz of Texas

Mar 26, 2012
Austin
Hah! Marinade? You bring “marinade” to a Texas centric board?

There’s some dude that was actually allowed to trademark “Santa Maria Barbecue,” and he sells a pre-packaged marinaded tri-tip. It sucks.
Next thing you know we'll be talking about using liquid smoke and an oven.