Uber driver fired-----For defending a life

calvin farquhar

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Dec 19, 2017
As we continue our spiral around the drain of life, a country headed toward god knows what, I found this article about an Uber driver, who was not only fired for refusing to take a woman to her abortion, but also has been threatened to be sued by her for the same reason.

Unbelievable times we live in. It also makes me rethink my use of Uber.

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2019/april/uber-driver-fired-threatened-with-lawsuit-for-refusing-to-take-pregnant-woman-to-abortion-clinic

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/uber-driver-fired-for-refusing-to-drive-woman-to-get-abortion

RIVALWEAR

Jan 12, 2012
Not sure what she could sue him for...other than maybe false imprisonment or intentional infliction of emotional distress. I doubt any lawyer would take this case though, there's no money in it unless Uber would pay -- and I doubt they would. @Duke Silver -- any thoughts?

Reactions: Turnbo828

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Not sure what she could sue him for...other than maybe false imprisonment or intentional infliction of emotional distress. I doubt any lawyer would take this case though, there's no money in it unless Uber would pay -- and I doubt they would. @Duke Silver -- any thoughts?
I have no idea. Infliction of emotional distress maybe. But what are the damages? Maybe the difference in the cost of the cab and what the uber would have cost?

Good on uber firing. This guy needs to mind his own ****ing business.

Reactions: bHero

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016
He accepted the fare, so he knew very early on the destination. And rather than recuse himself, he tried to change her mind and then ditched her. You can’t pull over halfway through and tell someone “we either go back, or I’m gonna leave you here where no other Uber’s can get you.” That’s insane

Reactions: jamesrh

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
He accepted the fare, so he knew very early on the destination. And rather than recuse himself, he tried to change her mind and then ditched her. You can’t pull over halfway through and tell someone “we either go back, or I’m gonna leave you here where no other Uber’s can get you.” That’s insane
Whoever got her pregnant should have definitely stopped on the way there.

Reactions: Horns1960

jamesrh

Oct 29, 2008
I'm staunchly pro-life, but this is my position on this incident. It is clear from the article that he knew, or at least suspected very strongly, from the outset, what the destination was, so he should have passed on the fare. I am all for peaceful, kindhearted demonstrations in front of abortion clinics, etc. I don't think there is anything wrong with confronting a mother contemplating abortion with the full set of facts, but not when she is captive. What he did was completely wrong regardless of what you think about abortion. You don't kidnap people.

theelusiveshadow

Nov 2, 2016
I'm super pro-life and I agree with some posters here. I get that he probably mentally struggled with it on the way there, but he probably should have just avoided it on the outset, and once he was on the way there, just complete his task.

Reactions: Shane3