US Warns Iran

mcb0703!

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Feb 6, 2015
Iran possibly preparing to attack US forces in the Middle East...most likely targets would be Bahrain or UAE, as we have many military members in both countries

Not a coincidence that Iran initiated fighting with Israel last week; the Iranians are running the show in the Gaza fighting

Many Islamic countries or terror groups like to use anniversaries or holidays for these types of events. Only May holiday I can find is Iranian National Holiday Martyrdom of Imam Ali on May 26

https://abcnews.go.com/International/aircraft-carrier-middle-east-indications-iran-planned-attack/story?id=62843182

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasPalladin

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
Iran possibly preparing to attack US forces in the Middle East...most likely targets would be Bahrain or UAE, as we have many military members in both countries

Not a coincidence that Iran initiated fighting with Israel last week; the Iranians are running the show in the Gaza fighting

Many Islamic countries or terror groups like to use anniversaries or holidays for these types of events. Only May holiday I can find is Iranian National Holiday Martyrdom of Imam Ali on May 26

https://abcnews.go.com/International/aircraft-carrier-middle-east-indications-iran-planned-attack/story?id=62843182
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iran-aircraft-idUSKCN1SG0TQ

U.S. B-52 bombers reach Middle East in message to Iran

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
Surely the rulers, whoever to hell they are, in Iran are not stupid enough to take on the US. They should be content with allowing puppet's like Hezie, Palestie, Alki, and other groups to continue snipping away at Irasel and the US in the Region. When do you think Egypt, Saudi's, and the Turks will get a gut full and make them knock it off.

ttaghorn

Oct 29, 2008
Obama just had to get that Iranian deal done as a legacy "achievement". Didn't matter how bad the deal was or what he had to do, such as torpedo drug investigations, to get it done.
IFO are glad he got his legacy deal done, the World is now at peace, Iran has stopped its Nuclear development of bombs, stopped its Terroristic activities, stopped abetting terror in the World. Obama has saved the World, again.

Hee, hee, hee.

U.S. Bates

Nov 2, 2009
Here
Surely the rulers, whoever to hell they are, in Iran are not stupid enough to take on the US. They should be content with allowing puppet's like Hezie, Palestie, Alki, and other groups to continue snipping away at Irasel and the US in the Region. When do you think Egypt, Saudi's, and the Turks will get a gut full and make them knock it off.
There’s not much those Sunni nations can do about Iran. They’d love to but can’t.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
This isn’t how it works in the Middle East

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
Hard to say...would likely lead to a Middle East civil war.

But Saudi, Jordan, Kuwait, et al have the significant militaries to conduct the operations; deciding to conduct these ops is a different question
It would require the U.S. to be involved with the Arab States along the same lines of the Desert Storm coalition and buildup in 89-90.
Although the entire Pan-Arab coalition could possibly defeat the Persians...They would want the U.S./NATO/Etc to insure victory rather than risking losing to and allowing Iran hegemony in the Middle East.

Semper Fi

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
2 Saudi oil tankers attacked near UAE, port of Fujairah; different Middle East state media reporting 7 ships attacked, that report has not been confirmed. Port of Fujairah is one the largest oil ports in the world & one of the closest points to Iranian coast

The timing on this seems very strange

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
2 Saudi oil tankers attacked near UAE, port of Fujairah; different Middle East state media reporting 7 ships attacked, that report has not been confirmed. Port of Fujairah is one the largest oil ports in the world & one of the closest points to Iranian coast

More strangeness.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-news-saudi-arabia-sabotage-oil-tankers-fujairah-uae-fears-us-iran-conflict-2019-05-13/

The statement from the Saudi government on the alleged "sabotage attacks" off the United Arab Emirates port at Fujairah came just hours after Iranian and Lebanese media outlets aired false reports of explosions at the port, which sits less than 100 miles from the mouth of the vital Strait of Hormuz shipping channel. Emirati officials have declined to elaborate on the nature of the sabotage or say who might have been responsible.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
More strangeness.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-news-saudi-arabia-sabotage-oil-tankers-fujairah-uae-fears-us-iran-conflict-2019-05-13/

The statement from the Saudi government on the alleged "sabotage attacks" off the United Arab Emirates port at Fujairah came just hours after Iranian and Lebanese media outlets aired false reports of explosions at the port, which sits less than 100 miles from the mouth of the vital Strait of Hormuz shipping channel. Emirati officials have declined to elaborate on the nature of the sabotage or say who might have been responsible.
Evidently the oil market has decided there's nothing to it. The price rose about $1.60 or so, but it's now fallen about $2.45 from that high. In other words it's now about $0.85 lower than before the reports.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015

What’s your guess? Did the Saudis fake an attack?

Reactions: TexasPalladin

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I'm reminded of what LBJ said in private (now revealed) about the second 'attack' of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, "Hell, for all I know it could have been whales our Navy was shooting at out there." And thus do 'Incidents' become 'Wars'.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
What’s your guess? Did the Saudis fake an attack?
No, I don't believe the Saudis faked an attack. & you need to stop with the Alex Jones level Saudi conspiracy theories...

In the Middle East, there are no neutral players; so, do you support the Iranians or the Saudis?

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
No, I don't believe the Saudis faked an attack. & you need to stop with the Alex Jones level Saudi conspiracy theories...

In the Middle East, there are no neutral players; so, do you support the Iranians or the Saudis?
I don’t trust either side. We’ve mostly been friends with the Saudis, with the exception of Obama’s bizarre Iranian deal, so I expect that to continue.

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015
I'm reminded of what LBJ said in private (now revealed) about the second 'attack' of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, "Hell, for all I know it could have been whales our Navy was shooting at out there." And thus do 'Incidents' become 'Wars'.
Hopefully we’re smarter now.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/saudi-oil-tankers-hit-sabotage-attacks-gulf-tensions-100602956.html

Acting Pentagon chief Patrick Shanahan proposed a revamped military plan at a meeting with senior national security aides that would send up to 120,000 US troops to the Middle East were Iran to attack American forces or speed up nuclear weapons development, The New York Times reported.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
I don’t trust either side. We’ve mostly been friends with the Saudis, with the exception of Obama’s bizarre Iranian deal, so I expect that to continue.
I get that, & understand not trusting SA

I’m partial to SA because of my experience with them; but they're also enemies with Iran. The Iranians continue firing missiles from Yemen into SA, & they’re running the show against Israel with the recent fighting.

But more than anything, the Iranians are directly responsible for 800+ deaths during the Iraq war. So in this case, siding with SA & other ME countries is the only option I see that helps us & that region. There specific Iranian individuals I hope have long slow painful deaths after what they did to US personnel in Iraq

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
All of this recently with Iran seems to me to have John Bolton's fingerprints all over it. The president is not an interventionist; he prefers talking to dictators to overthrowing them militarily. Bolton has had a hard-on for Iran for a long time.

Can someone make the case for military intervention in Iran? I don't see it. And what happens after? We're still feeling the ill effects of the last Middle Eastern war for which Bolton banged the drum.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
All of this recently with Iran seems to me to have John Bolton's fingerprints all over it. The president is not an interventionist; he prefers talking to dictators to overthrowing them militarily. Bolton has had a hard-on for Iran for a long time.

Can someone make the case for military intervention in Iran? I don't see it. And what happens after? We're still feeling the ill effects of the last Middle Eastern war for which Bolton banged the drum.
Bolton is on the extreme side, I agree.

U.S. Bates

Nov 2, 2009
Here

So Bolton flew armed drones into Saudi crude tankers?

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
So Bolton flew armed drones into Saudi crude tankers?
Did Iran? Have the Saudis ever lied about something to advance their interests? Has the United States ever used an incident at sea as an excuse to ramp up conflict with a foreign enemy? Has John Bolton ever been wrong about the Middle East? Has he ever been accused of misrepresenting intelligence?

Last edited:

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
Hopefully this issue will be resolved without armed conflict, but if fighting does break out we need to stay out of it unless of course the Iranians do attack us and then we have no choice.

U.S. Bates

Nov 2, 2009
Here
Did Iran? Have the Saudis would ever lied about something to advance their interests? Has the United States ever used an incident at sea as an excuse to ramp up conflict with a foreign enemy? Has John Bolton ever been wrong about the Middle East? Has he ever been accused of misrepresenting intelligence?
Did i blame the Iranians? You specifically mentioned Bolton so i assumed you thought he was behind it.

The other points are fair and probably better paired with a previous post that doubted the narrative wing pushed by the media rather than basically accusing our government of doing something like this with zero proof.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Did i blame the Iranians? You specifically mentioned Bolton so i assumed you thought he was behind it.

The other points are fair and probably better paired with a previous post that doubted the narrative wing pushed by the media rather than basically accusing our government of doing something like this with zero proof.
Maybe I should have been more clear what I was referring to, then. This dropped today:

WASHINGTON — At a meeting of President Trump’s top national security aides last Thursday, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented an updated military plan that envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons, administration officials said. The revisions were ordered by hard-liners led by John R. Bolton, Mr. Trump’s national security adviser.

And also today an anonymous administration official told the AP that Iran was behind the attacks on the Saudi tankers. Taken as a whole, and knowing Bolton's long-stated stance on Iran, I see the hand of Bolton in the current escalation with Tehran.

Bobcat 9

Jan 24, 2012
Houston, Texas
Hard to say...would likely lead to a Middle East civil war.

But Saudi, Jordan, Kuwait, et al have the significant militaries to conduct the operations; deciding to conduct these ops is a different question
And interestingly the Israelis and Saudis have a sort of alliance to deal with Iran.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
Maybe I should have been more clear what I was referring to, then. This dropped today:

WASHINGTON — At a meeting of President Trump’s top national security aides last Thursday, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan presented an updated military plan that envisions sending as many as 120,000 troops to the Middle East should Iran attack American forces or accelerate work on nuclear weapons, administration officials said. The revisions were ordered by hard-liners led by John R. Bolton, Mr. Trump’s national security adviser.

And also today an anonymous administration official told the AP that Iran was behind the attacks on the Saudi tankers. Taken as a whole, and knowing Bolton's long-stated stance on Iran, I see the hand of Bolton in the current escalation with Tehran.
You're giving 1 person waaaaaayyyyyyy too much credit for escalating to the brink of war. Given the policies & structure of the National Security Council, it's just not possible

& there are many @ the CIA & DoD leadership levels that would make sure this would be leaked in order to reign in Bolton. Secretary Shanahan would not put soldiers, sailors, marines in any jeopardy whatsoever based on Bolton trying to escalate. Also, ALL intel agencies are in constant contact with our partners in the ME to get their latest intelligence; this would only refute or confirm anything Bolton or any other member of the NSC is trying to present

Stop acting like Bolton can do this on his own; it's literally impossible to do so

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
You're giving 1 person waaaaaayyyyyyy too much credit for escalating to the brink of war. Given the policies & structure of the National Security Council, it's just not possible

& there are many @ the CIA & DoD leadership levels that would make sure this would be leaked in order to reign in Bolton. Secretary Shanahan would not put soldiers, sailors, marines in any jeopardy whatsoever based on Bolton trying to escalate. Also, ALL intel agencies are in constant contact with our partners in the ME to get their latest intelligence; this would only refute or confirm anything Bolton or any other member of the NSC is trying to present

Stop acting like Bolton can do this on his own; it's literally impossible to do so
Did I ever say Bolton was doing all this by himself? If you disagree with me, that's fine, but you're misrepresenting what I said. Maybe I'm being unclear today, I dunno. Maybe some folks just like to argue.

Nobody does anything solo in national security. One wouldn't pin the Iraq War on Bolton, either, but his fingerprints were on that, too.

I'm saying I see the influence of John Bolton in this entire ramp-up with Iran. Not that he's the only one. There is a group of conservatives who have argued in favor of finally having it out with Iran; Steve Bannon was also a proponent, but he's not in the White House any more. Bolton is one of the most vocal members of that club, and he's now the NSA.

So no, it's not just him -- I'm sure the Saudis and Netanyahu are right there with Bolton -- but to the extent that we can know any of what goes on in this White House, is there anyone in the administration who has more influence with the president on Iran policy right now than his national security advisor?

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
Did I ever say Bolton was doing all this by himself? If you disagree with me, that's fine, but you're misrepresenting what I said. Maybe I'm being unclear today, I dunno. Maybe some folks just like to argue.

Nobody does anything solo in national security. One wouldn't pin the Iraq War on Bolton, either, but his fingerprints were on that, too.

I'm saying I see the influence of John Bolton in this entire ramp-up with Iran. Not that he's the only one. There is a group of conservatives who have argued in favor of finally having it out with Iran; Steve Bannon was also a proponent, but he's not in the White House any more. Bolton is one of the most vocal members of that club, and he's now the NSA.

So no, it's not just him -- I'm sure the Saudis and Netanyahu are right there with Bolton -- but to the extent that we can know any of what goes on in this White House, is there anyone in the administration who has more influence with the president on Iran policy right now than his national security advisor?
You've mentioned 2 people pushing this "ramp-up" with Iran, & 1 of those individuals was fired more than a year ago. Who else in this administration or NSC is pushing this agenda against Iran?

& no, the National Security Advisor does NOT have more influence over the president; the NSA is not a Senate confirmable position, nor is a Cabinet Secretary position. I don't care if it's Trump, Obama, Bush, whoever, the Secretary of Defense, CIA Director, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, & many others will have as much, if not more influence with the president than the National Security Advisor. & I haven't event mentioned the NSC's influence

Reactions: hwhondaman

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
& no, the National Security Advisor does NOT have more influence over the president; the NSA is not a Senate confirmable position, nor is a Cabinet Secretary position. I don't care if it's Trump, Obama, Bush, whoever, the Secretary of Defense, CIA Director, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, & many others will have as much, if not more influence with the president than the National Security Advisor. & I haven't event mentioned the NSC's influence
Neither you nor I know who has influence over this president. This president does not care who is Senate-confirmed or in the Cabinet. This is not a normal administration. The president's son in law might have more sway over him than anyone, and he's neither Senate-confirmed nor a member of the Cabinet. Trump (reportedly) stopped listening to Mattis long before he was let go, and he (reportedly) never got along with McMaster. Principals Meetings are (reportedly) down significantly since Bolton took over. The acting SecDef is newer than Bolton and himself has never been confirmed by the Senate. Gina Haspel testified that Iran is technically in compliance with the nuclear disarmament agreement; who knows where she is on the issue at the moment.

You've mentioned 2 people pushing this "ramp-up" with Iran, & 1 of those individuals was fired more than a year ago. Who else in this administration or NSC is pushing this agenda against Iran?
I don't know, why don't you tell me? I thought I was giving Bolton too much credit? If that's your argument then make a case for it instead of just naysaying mine. I can think of one without doing a bunch of research: Victoria Coates, NSC Senior Director for the Middle East. Former RedState blogger, worked for Rumsfeld advisor to Rick Perry and Ted Cruz. But at the senior level, if it's more than just Bolton, then please enlighten me.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
This ^^^^ was your quote & now you want me to tell you who's helping to "ramp up" this situation with Iran? Uh no...how about you back up your own statement with the details. It's not my responsibility to figure out WTF you meant. So far, you've mentioned Bolton & Bannon; who else (that's actually working in this administration) is helping "ramp-up" this situation with Iran?

Why am I not surprised a lib on this board can't keep his story straight...

Neither you nor I know who has influence over this president. This president does not care who is Senate-confirmed or in the Cabinet. This is not a normal administration. The president's son in law might have more sway over him than anyone, and he's neither Senate-confirmed nor a member of the Cabinet. Trump (reportedly) stopped listening to Mattis long before he was let go, and he (reportedly) never got along with McMaster. Principals Meetings are (reportedly) down significantly since Bolton took over. The acting SecDef is newer than Bolton and himself has never been confirmed by the Senate. Gina Haspel testified that Iran is technically in compliance with the nuclear disarmament agreement; who knows where she is on the issue at the moment.

I don't know, why don't you tell me? I thought I was giving Bolton too much credit? If that's your argument then make a case for it instead of just naysaying mine. I can think of one without doing a bunch of research: Victoria Coates, NSC Senior Director for the Middle East. Former RedState blogger, worked for Rumsfeld advisor to Rick Perry and Ted Cruz. But at the senior level, if it's more than just Bolton, then please enlighten me.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
This ^^^^ was your quote & now you want me to tell you who's helping to "ramp up" this situation with Iran? Uh no...how about you back up your own statement with the details. It's not my responsibility to figure out WTF you meant. So far, you've mentioned Bolton & Bannon; who else (that's actually working in this administration) is helping "ramp-up" this situation with Iran?

Why am I not surprised a lib on this board can't keep his story straight...
Oooh. "Lib." That's the quality content we know and love from ol' McB.

I just gave you a name. It's right there in my post. She's on the National Security Council. Does that qualify as working in this administration?

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
Oooh. "Lib." That's the quality content we know and love from ol' McB.

I just gave you a name. It's right there in my post. She's on the National Security Council. Does that qualify as working in this administration?
No, Victoria Coates is not helping "ramp-up" this situation with Iran. Try again.

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016

Two great Onion articles the last few days

Bleeding John Bolton Stumbles Into Capitol Building Claiming That Iran Shot Him https://politics.theonion.com/bleeding-john-bolton-stumbles-into-capitol-building-cla-1834847900

John Bolton: ‘An Attack On Two Saudi Oil Tankers Is An Attack On All Americans’ https://politics.theonion.com/john-bolton-an-attack-on-two-saudi-oil-tankers-is-an-1834791494

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017