West Mesquite's Day Day Coleman Garnering Attenion

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
For starters, any prospects nicknamed Day Day get my full attention regardless of potential. Being a big fan of the "Friday" movie trilogy allows this.

Then you see his size (6-foot-2, 186), speed (unconfirmed 4.5), and Hudl, and you can see he's more than Craig's goofy cousin from Rancho Cucamonga.

Dayven Coleman can play.

The former Dallas Skyline-now-West Mesquite DB is a name on the rise in the recruiting world for 2018. "He has a real promising future and I'm just glad to see his recruiting really starting to pick up," says AAU coach and mentor, Joey Moss.

And it has. In Texas and out of Texas.

The in-state schools pursuing the 3-star are calling and checking in on him on a regular basis. Texas, TCU, Baylor, Houston, and Texas Tech just to name a few. The out-of-state schools, UCLA, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska, are also asking for film and getting to know Coleman.

He's already visited Texas a few times in three months. He came in early August with Kimball ATH Devodrick Johnson and was thoroughly impressed with Austin. He also attended the Texas-Notre Dame game two weeks ago. After that, he hit up Baylor-SMU last Saturday. He's making the rounds.

He gave me some thoughts on how his recruitment and junior season are coming along.

On Texas: "I talk to coach Clay (Jennings, DB coach) and coach Bedford (defensive coordinator) often. I'm going back to take another unofficial 10-15-16 when (Texas) plays Iowa State. It's already set up."

On UH: "They're about to be a top program and they have what you call a 'players coach' that vibes with the players and they want to win. I feel like I can be a part of that. (Herman) is my type of coach. He reminds me of our DC at my school. I'll take my visit there on our bye week."

On BU: "It was good for it to be my first time going."

On no offers yet: "Just being patient. The schools really just want to see some game film. I talk to them after every game. Minnesota and TCU ask a lot."

On what he's looking for in a school: "Just how the coaches vibe with the players, history about the program, how good the business program is there. Just what's best for me and my future."

On moving to West Mesquite from Dallas Skyline: "I'm new on the scene this year because I broke my elbow last year. Last spring I blew up at the TCU camp. I had two INTs and this summer was a great summer for me. Just working hard. We're only 1-2 right now, but we're getting better everyday."

It's only a matter of time before Coleman starts getting offers. With his ability, work ethic, and good attitude, great things are headed his way. He knows it.

And his thoughts after the Texas-ND classic.

"Best season opener ever."

malaise

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
I only watched the 30 second clip vs. Seguin.

Extremely doubtful that kid stays at db. He large.

Tough to tell much except he does like to hit and ran a nice fade.

I was extremely impressed w maciah long at this stage for him and he was around the same size but was already playing some lb. he ended up at Kansas. Maybe he's more devodrick-ish...but I can't tell much from the clip. This will be a fun hudl to watch at end of season

Justin Wells

Inside Texas Web Editor
Staff member
Jul 22, 2013
I only watched the 30 second clip vs. Seguin.

Extremely doubtful that kid stays at db. He large.

Tough to tell much except he does like to hit and ran a nice fade.

I was extremely impressed w maciah long at this stage for him and he was around the same size but was already playing some lb. he ended up at Kansas. Maybe he's more devodrick-ish...but I can't tell much from the clip. This will be a fun hudl to watch at end of season
Think he's a safety, but if he can add 30 pounds over the next few years without losing too much speed/agility, he's a LB.

Reactions: malaise