What are you listening to?

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
@JackWebb, a most friendly fellow, was looking for music a while back. I love music but know nothing about it. I just know what sounds good to me. I'll jam Pandora commercials if you dare me.

Segovia on guitar as @The General likes? I'm in.

Scarface as @Toadvine likes? Yep, I'm in.

Macarena as @SAhornfan prefers? Can't do it but to each their own. At least he's on the right board.

Workout music for @b_pittenger? Haaaaaaaah!

To me music depends on a number of factors and I need a better flowchart.

A) is it live?
B) am I f***** up?

If it's A it's B. If it's B then I'm A.

C) is it zydeco

If it is then A+B=C

Many of you guys have good music taste. Many of you don't. Let it go on this board.

If you're looking for a song, let's see if we can find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bHero and Boogieman

mcubeaus

Member Who Talks
Jan 11, 2012
Any indie fans out there?
Very much so. What're you listening to lately?

My current mix:
Ratatat's new album (Electronica/experimental rock)
Mipso (indie bluegrass/folk)
Trampled by Turtles (indie bluegrass)
Misterwives (indie rock)
Boy & Bear (indie rock)
Bad Suns (indie rock)
Half Moon Run (indie rock)
TV on the Radio (alternative rock)
Paolo Nutini (stripped down indie rock)
Cold War Kids (indie rock)

Last edited:

idighorns

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Any indie fans out there?
I lean towards punk/hardcore or shoegazey stuff, but yes. Of course, I've mostly been jamming Protomartyr, Titus Andronicus, Speedy Ortiz, Royal Headache, and Best Coast lately when I'm not listening to old-school hip-hop or classic soul and R&B.

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Dallas
Still listen to a lot of older classics in various genres like Cash, Willie, Marley, etc. But for people still putting out new music:

Singer/Songwriters: Ryan Bingham, John Fullbright, Sturgill Simpson, Citizen Cope
Rock: Rebelution, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Dirty Heads, Gary Clark Jr.
Other: Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox - pretty cool 20's style big band renditions of current pop songs. worth a try.

Reactions: bHero and PFD

Sonny

Member Who Talks
Dec 5, 2013
JJ Grey and Mofro -- check them out if you are in to blues/rock; especially their songs "99 Shades of Crazy" and "Orange Blossoms"

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Very much so. What're you listening to lately?

My current mix:
Ratatat's new album (Electronica/experimental rock)
Miso (indie bluegrass/folk)
Trampled by Turtles (indie bluegrass)
Misterwives (indie rock)
Boy & Bear (indie rock)
Bad Suns (indie rock)
Half Moon Run (indie rock)
TV on the Radio (alternative rock)
Paolo Nutini (stripped down indie rock)
Cold War Kids (indie rock)
Lately, a lot of Minus the Bear. Maritime just released a new album that I'm getting ready to listen to. I really enjoyed My Morning Jacket's latest album.

I've heard of most of the bands on your list, I liked Ratatat's new album as well. Gonna have to check out a few of those names.

I lean towards punk/hardcore or shoegazey stuff, but yes. Of course, I've mostly been jamming Protomartyr, Titus Andronicus, Speedy Ortiz, Royal Headache, and Best Coast lately when I'm not listening to old-school hip-hop or classic soul and R&B.
I go across the music spectrum, really only staying away from hip-hop and the new country sound. I was on a little bit of a shoegaze kick not too long ago, Swervedriver is a good listen.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
I was on a little bit of a shoegaze kick not too long ago, Swervedriver is a good listen.
Yeah, they're good. I've missed out on seeing them recently.
My Bloody Valentine is one of my all-time favorite bands, period. Also love Lush (doing reunion shows next year), Ride (just saw them on their reunion), Slowdive (reunion next year also), and Jesus and Mary Chain. Locally, Ringo Deathstarr is pretty great.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
Yeah, they're good. I've missed out on seeing them recently.
My Bloody Valentine is one of my all-time favorite bands, period. Also love Lush (doing reunion shows next year), Ride (just saw them on their reunion), Slowdive (reunion next year also), and Jesus and Mary Chain. Locally, Ringo Deathstarr is pretty great.
i saw ride too. ****in excellent band.

i listen to a ton of **** but right now i'm huge on chastity belt. i love their ringin/jangling guitars and the bored girl singer.

also liked the new mmj @MikeHdez12

Reactions: bHero

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
i saw ride too. ****in excellent band.

i listen to a ton of **** but right now i'm huge on chastity belt. i love their ringin/jangling guitars and the bored girl singer.
Ride was the best band I saw at FunFunFun Fest, followed by Drive Like Jehu, Dag Nasty, American Nightmare, Alvvays, and Mutoid Man.

Ringin/jangling guitars with a girl singer is basically my sweet spot.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
Ride was the best band I saw at FunFunFun Fest, followed by Drive Like Jehu, Dag Nasty, American Nightmare, Alvvays, and Mutoid Man.

yea you're gonna have to go ahead and spotify them and hinds which is a spanish chick duo

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
Love that new Titus Andronicus. Big Stickles fan all around. Been listening to a lot of that lately, along with Big KRIT. Also been listening to a band called Connections and another called Car Seat Headrest.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Love that new Titus Andronicus. Big Stickles fan all around. Been listening to a lot of that lately, along with Big KRIT. Also been listening to a band called Connections and another called Car Seat Headrest.
TA stayed at my house during SXSW 2012, they were all really nice and polite dudes, but Stickles could be a little weird. I think I saw them 5 times that SXSW (once with Andrew WK, once with Jesus and Mary Chain).

Reactions: Toadvine

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
TA stayed at my house during SXSW 2012, they were all really nice and polite dudes, but Stickles could be a little weird. I think I saw them 5 times that SXSW (once with Andrew WK, once with Jesus and Mary Chain).
He's nuts, but he's sincere. Great WTF Marc Maron interview with him recently. The Monitor is one of my all time top 10.

Reactions: idighorns

dmatx

Member Who Talks
Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Just finished an Elvis Costello bio so a lot of his stuff. The Kinks, always and forever. The Obits (Rick from Hot Snakes/Jehu)

Drive Like Jehu was so good! Only went one day so missed out on a bunch this year.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Is this a good place to spam for our own music? Lots of stuff going on but I'm playing with my old bandmate, Will Courtney, at ABGB this Saturday. http://www.austinchronicle.com/calendar/music/sam-lipman-wendy-mitchell-brothers-and-sisters-orange-mothers-black-before-red-t-1690726/
(I'm biased since Dave is one of my best friends but...) If you like Neil Young, Townes Van Zandt, and that kind of 70s country roots easy rock vibe then you'll like Will Courtney and his band.

Reactions: Toadvine and dmatx

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Y'all hear Coldplay is at the Super Bowl this year? I don't hate them, actually have a few albums, but that is a curious choice for a halftime show.

TrynaPigDog

Jan 30, 2012
At a desk; wishing I was at the beach.
Big fan of Big KRIT. Also jammed Connections for a bit.

Any techno heads out there? Not any of the EDM bull**** you hear at a festival, but good, underground, tech house stuff
When I lived in California my roommate turned me on to a bunch of house. We went to DJ Sneak's birthday party at VERSUS in L.A. and saw him and Derrick Carter spin for a while. I like some DJ Heather and Colette. I can't remember the names of other artists.

I don't think it qualifies as House music but I've been jamming an artist with some funky disco feel: Clive Tanaka y su Orquesta. All Night, All Right is my favorite track on the album but Neu Chicago is a decent track too.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
Reactions: idighorns and dmatx

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
Thor Harris? Nice. Looking forward to the new Swans album.
Does that dude still play with Shearwater? I remember the first time I saw him play with them, when Will Sheff was still in the band, so that must have been maybe 2003? At the Parish. Awesome guy. But he was an, um, departure from their usual vibe.

dmatx

Member Who Talks
Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Does that dude still play with Shearwater? I remember the first time I saw him play with them, when Will Sheff was still in the band, so that must have been maybe 2003? At the Parish. Awesome guy. But he was an, um, departure from their usual vibe.
Don't think so but they don't play much anymore. He's doing his own collaborative stuff and Swans mostly, I think.

I loved Shearwater when Sheff was in the band. Not as much afterwards. It was quieter and less bombastic (dramatic?).

Fozz

Member Who Talks
Sep 26, 2015
Shearwater is pretty bleh without Sheff. Per wiki Thor also has worked lately with Bill Callahan and Ben Frost (oddly enough). Guy has great taste!

Reactions: Toadvine

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
Don't think so but they don't play much anymore. He's doing his own collaborative stuff and Swans mostly, I think.

I loved Shearwater when Sheff was in the band. Not as much afterwards. It was quieter and less bombastic (dramatic?).
Yep, totally agree. Benjamin was the peak for me. Those were good times -- lots and lots of high quality local music that you could see most any day of the week somewhere. @idighorns hates him, but Britt Daniels was working out Kill the Moonlight on Sundays at the Hole with a boombox as a backing track, Okkervil was playing indoors at Emo's, Tia Carrerra was backing Buckner and doing some bizarre noise rock, I don't remember what Zykos sounded like but I was in love with Catherine, etc.

I'm too old now for any of the young local bands, although I like East Cameron Folkcore alright, and I enjoy the American Sharks (mostly because I loved Roky Bolt + Moon when the lead singer was in Houston).

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
Shearwater is pretty bleh without Sheff. Per wiki Thor also has worked lately with Bill Callahan and Ben Frost (oddly enough). Guy has great taste!
No kidding. The dude from L'il Cap'n Travis (not Christian, the other dude) is playing guitar with Callahan now too -- saw him at Central Pres last year.

Reactions: Fozz

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Bingham is too popular to be cool, but man I love the dude. I laugh out loud LOL at the thought of him walking through Westfield.

I really like Bingham, but, IMO, none of his subsequent stuff compares to his debut album, Mescalito.

Although I did like his tracks from the "Crazy Heart" soundtrack.

Reactions: Duke Silver

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
Jeff from Lil capn travis was playing bass with Bill Callahan, I believe.
This show was just two guitar players and Callahan, and Matt from LCT was playing guitar. I wanted to enjoy it more than I did. Callahan for hours gets monotonous. I saw LCT last christmas at Deville (or whatever it was then -- might have been Cheer up's) and man was it enjoyable. They didn't do the acapella Beach Boys medley, but they still sounded great.