What are you listening to?

Young Williams

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 24, 2012
Throwing Copper was one of the seminal albums of the 1990s. Anyone who claims otherwise is selling something.

I saw Live open for Counting Crows last summer. Live was awesome. Ed Kowalzcyk sounded like 1995. They put on a great show.

I wish I could say the same of Adam Duritz and Counting Crows.
Adam Duritz has always been terrible live. He doesn’t sing. He sing-talks.

He was doing that back in 1997, too, so don’t sweat it.

Shame, too, as I think he’s a great singer in studio. Maybe he gets a lot of help.

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
Just got The National's new I Am Easy To Find album and have listened through it once. It has some good tunes and several guest vocal appearances, so much so that at times it felt like lead singer Matt Berninger was a guest vocalist on his own band's album. Going to have to listen through it a few more times before I can make any kind of thorough judgment on it, but I've been a big fan of the band since I bought their fourth album Boxer back in 2007.

I'm sure there are other fans of the National here. I've tried a number of times to listen to their first two albums and just never could make it all the way through, but I like everything they've put out since then. My favorite albums of theirs are probably in this order:
1. Boxer
2. High Violet
3. Sleep Well Beast
4. Trouble Will Find Me
5. Alligator

Can't rank I Am Easy to Find yet. Boxer I'd have a hard time moving out of the #1 spot, but there's not a great deal separating the next four from each other, IMO. I bet you could talk to a dozen National fans and get almost as many different rankings of their top five albums by the band.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Just got The National's new I Am Easy To Find album and have listened through it once. It has some good tunes and several guest vocal appearances, so much so that at times it felt like lead singer Matt Berninger was a guest vocalist on his own band's album. Going to have to listen through it a few more times before I can make any kind of thorough judgment on it, but I've been a big fan of the band since I bought their fourth album Boxer back in 2007.

I'm sure there are other fans of the National here. I've tried a number of times to listen to their first two albums and just never could make it all the way through, but I like everything they've put out since then. My favorite albums of theirs are probably in this order:
1. Boxer
2. High Violet
3. Sleep Well Beast
4. Trouble Will Find Me
5. Alligator

Can't rank I Am Easy to Find yet. Boxer I'd have a hard time moving out of the #1 spot, but there's not a great deal separating the next four from each other, IMO. I bet you could talk to a dozen National fans and get almost as many different rankings of their top five albums by the band.
I’m loving IAETF. They are an incredible American band. They got the goods.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse

1. Boxer
2. High Violet
3. Sleep Well Beast
4. Trouble Will Find Me
5. Alligator

i liked sad songs for dirty lovers and alligator alot. i think i also like boxer then kinda quit paying attention.

i've been listening to these recently released albums a LOT:

cate le bon - reward
- she is super weird and so is the album. i love it. kinda in a broadcast/stereolab sort of way? she also produced deerhunter's newest. she hangs out in marfa of course.

aldous harding - designer
-also weird but sounds a little more classically chamber pop-ish?

stephen malkmus - groove denied
- recorded like a dozen years ago...finally released. it's...electronic? but then gets into the normal malkmus ****. some great tracks.

bill callahan - shepherd in a sheepskin vest (side a)
-he's released the first side of what's going to be a double album. of course it is good but some of the songs are like super good.

also still listening to that weyes blood album a bunch. really great

Reactions: idighorns

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
i liked sad songs for dirty lovers and alligator alot. i think i also like boxer then kinda quit paying attention.

i've been listening to these recently released albums a LOT:

cate le bon - reward
- she is super weird and so is the album. i love it. kinda in a broadcast/stereolab sort of way? she also produced deerhunter's newest. she hangs out in marfa of course.

aldous harding - designer
-also weird but sounds a little more classically chamber pop-ish?

stephen malkmus - groove denied
- recorded like a dozen years ago...finally released. it's...electronic? but then gets into the normal malkmus ****. some great tracks.

bill callahan - shepherd in a sheepskin vest (side a)
-he's released the first side of what's going to be a double album. of course it is good but some of the songs are like super good.

also still listening to that weyes blood album a bunch. really great
I love me some Bill Callahan. Haven't had the chance to listen to the new record yet. I loved Dream River. Prob my favorite since his Smog days.

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
The National playing "Oblivions" on The Tonight Show earlier this week was pretty amazing. I haven't seen every TV performance they've done but this is their best one I've seen, with the possible exception of their 2010 appearance on Jimmy Fallon's former "Late Night" show where they played "Terrible Love" a couple months before their High Violet album was released.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Any of you guys ever get into Tears for Fears? I'm thinking maybe I oughta check out an early album.
My room mate my first year at UT in '93 was really into Tears for Fears. i was never really a fan and don't think they've aged particularly well.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
My room mate my first year at UT in '93 was really into Tears for Fears. i was never really a fan and don't think they've aged particularly well.
I do wonder if their one of those groups where the stuff I'm familiar with isn't as good as the stuff on the rest of the album, but I figure I can go to the music store and pick up one of their used 80's albums and it won't be a costly investment if that turns out to be the case.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
I do wonder if their one of those groups where the stuff I'm familiar with isn't as good as the stuff on the rest of the album, but I figure I can go to the music store and pick up one of their used 80's albums and it won't be a costly investment if that turns out to be the case.
One nice thing about Spotify (and/or YouTube) is you could check out the album cuts before you invest. And if you still have a CD and/or a cassette player I'm sure you could find cheap copies of most 80s things in thrift stores too.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
One nice thing about Spotify (and/or YouTube) is you could check out the album cuts before you invest. And if you still have a CD and/or a cassette player I'm sure you could find cheap copies of most 80s things in thrift stores too.

are you kidding with the no spotify thing mike what the **** are you doing bro?

also there is a ****load of stuff to listen to that's out today

hatchie - keepsake ...she's like super shoegazey pop
new mark ronson album of "sad bangers" that is good
new raconteurs album
black midi album - btw this is the british "hype band" and it sounds like ****tier polvo or mixed with something more boring. lol at them getting any traction amongst the cools

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
are you kidding with the no spotify thing mike what the **** are you doing bro?

also there is a ****load of stuff to listen to that's out today

hatchie - keepsake ...she's like super shoegazey pop
new mark ronson album of "sad bangers" that is good
new raconteurs album
black midi album - btw this is the british "hype band" and it sounds like ****tier polvo or mixed with something more boring. lol at them getting any traction amongst the cools
I have some kind of stupid misguided sense of honor or some other such intangible quality that disallows me to cut out the bands on profit by not just outright buying their stuff and instead listening through a streaming service. I don't even know if that's how the **** works or not but in my dumb head that's how it does. Plus I like having physical albums. Plus plus, there's too many streaming services!

New Raconteurs??!! Yes!!

I just read an article on Black Midi. Sounded a little too earnest, like they were trying to sell them.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
By the way, Amazon Prime Music did have a TFF album on it, Songs from the Big Chair, and it was really, really good.

Think I might try Supertramp next if I'm just gonna keep going back in time to bands I underappreciate.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
I have some kind of stupid misguided sense of honor or some other such intangible quality that disallows me to cut out the bands on profit by not just outright buying their stuff and instead listening through a streaming service. I don't even know if that's how the **** works or not but in my dumb head that's how it does. Plus I like having physical albums. Plus plus, there's too many streaming services!

New Raconteurs??!! Yes!!

I just read an article on Black Midi. Sounded a little too earnest, like they were trying to sell them.
i have long been under the assumption that since like the napster days the best way to actually get the dough to the bands is goto their shows and buy stuff from their merch table at the show.

you just need one streaming service generally. unless you want some mostly lame tidal exclusives.

the physical album thing i get...it is weird how many albums have or are going to disappear. self-released stuff like the last mbv album basically doesn't exist outside of their website. i don't like that.

also yea..raconteurs is decent so far. not earth shattering but some good tracks.

ALSO black midi has the hype on them like the nme trying to sell me on the datsuns or some **** in 2002

Reactions: dmatx and idighorns

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
i have long been under the assumption that since like the napster days the best way to actually get the dough to the bands is goto their shows and buy stuff from their merch table at the show.

you just need one streaming service generally. unless you want some mostly lame tidal exclusives.

the physical album thing i get...it is weird how many albums have or are going to disappear. self-released stuff like the last mbv album basically doesn't exist outside of their website. i don't like that.

also yea..raconteurs is decent so far. not earth shattering but some good tracks.

ALSO black midi has the hype on them like the nme trying to sell me on the datsuns or some **** in 2002
I pay for Spotify and I'm sure of my $9.99 a month roughly $0.0000001 goes to the bands I listen to. But since Apple made it basically impossible to load your own music onto iTunes (which I don't even think they support anymore) and my new work truck doesn't even have a CD player, I need something to listen to on my long drives to my work sites because there are too many parts of Texas with nothing but Christian talk radio and 5 varieties of NashTrash.
I buy physical for must haves but I'm getting tight on space for vinyl right now. I also have too many shirts but will at least get a pin or a koozie or something like that from a band when I see them (or, in the case of Hinds, an overpriced tote bag).

Reactions: malaise

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
So which premium music streaming service is preferable? Slacker, Spotify, Apple, Amazon (probably wouldn't pick them; their player and app are ****), YouTube?

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I pay for Spotify and I'm sure of my $9.99 a month roughly $0.0000001 goes to the bands I listen to. But since Apple made it basically impossible to load your own music onto iTunes (which I don't even think they support anymore) and my new work truck doesn't even have a CD player, I need something to listen to on my long drives to my work sites because there are too many parts of Texas with nothing but Christian talk radio and 5 varieties of NashTrash.
I buy physical for must haves but I'm getting tight on space for vinyl right now. I also have too many shirts but will at least get a pin or a koozie or something like that from a band when I see them (or, in the case of Hinds, an overpriced tote bag).
When I bought my car five years ago, I was livid when I got in and realized I didn't have a CD player. My fault for not checking and I guess I just took it for granted that any automobile would just be able to play CDs.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
When I bought my car five years ago, I was livid when I got in and realized I didn't have a CD player. My fault for not checking and I guess I just took it for granted that any automobile would just be able to play CDs.
Before i got my new car, I was driving a '97 Pontiac that had been my mom's. When she bought it, she wanted it to be as cheap and no-frills as it could be, so all it had was a cassette player. But that worked for me since I had held on to a bunch of cassettes and made actual mixtapes into the early 2000s (got the car in 2004).