What are you listening to?

malaise

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
So which premium music streaming service is preferable? Slacker, Spotify, Apple, Amazon (probably wouldn't pick them; their player and app are ****), YouTube?
spotify is what i use. i tried apple music and they have some live shows which was a bit cooler but i hated how it worked.

i would try both of those to see which you like better in terms of use. they both have the same stuff pretty much.

i never tried tidal and don'tknow what the deal is tbh other than they get some early release beyonce ****!

Reactions: MikeHdez12

timeontarget

Jan 27, 2018
I have some kind of stupid misguided sense of honor or some other such intangible quality that disallows me to cut out the bands on profit by not just outright buying their stuff and instead listening through a streaming service. I don't even know if that's how the **** works or not but in my dumb head that's how it does. Plus I like having physical albums. Plus plus, there's too many streaming services!

New Raconteurs??!! Yes!!

I just read an article on Black Midi. Sounded a little too earnest, like they were trying to sell them.
Totally with you on getting the musicians their money. I always try too.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
I pay for Spotify and I'm sure of my $9.99 a month roughly $0.0000001 goes to the bands I listen to...
I buy physical for must haves but I'm getting tight on space for vinyl right now. I also have too many shirts but will at least get a pin or a koozie or something like that from a band when I see them (or, in the case of Hinds, an overpriced tote bag).
That's pretty much my plan these days. I pay for Spotify but still buy what I can - particularly when musicians are out on tour. Merch money is cash they get directly (it's more complicated when labels are involved but still.) I also have a habit of leaving my spotify playing (I often listen on the Roku app on our TV) when I leave the house so that I can throw some extra streams towards whoever I want to support. Besides, I think the dog appreciates the music keeping her company.

Reactions: idighorns

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Thoughts on spoon the band? Best of is coming at the end of the month.
I have always very much enjoyed them. Listened to Gimme Fiction a bunch my freshman year. Not really a fan of best of albums personally however. Prefer regular studio albums.

Their latest, Hot Thoughts, is really good. Putting out jams since the 90s. What longevity!

Reactions: malaise

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Thoughts on spoon the band? Best of is coming at the end of the month.
Britt Daniel once wrote a letter to The Daily Texan requesting that I not be allowed to review any more of his music because I clearly had something personal against him. Made me LOL, because besides the fact that I had no clue who he was or anything about him besides the music he made I had given their first 45 an ok review.
I never got it, never understood why the local media was so determined to make them a success when there were dozens of better bands in Austin. I guess they finally found a hit sound and they have a song or two that I will hear in movies or the radio and be surprised that it’s Spoon because they’re perfectly fine ACL pop songs.

Reactions: malaise

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
I have always very much enjoyed them. Listened to Gimme Fiction a bunch my freshman year. Not really a fan of best of albums personally however. Prefer regular studio albums.

Their latest, Hot Thoughts, is really good. Putting out jams since the 90s. What longevity!
Britt Daniel once wrote a letter to The Daily Texan requesting that I not be allowed to review any more of his music because I clearly had something personal against him. Made me LOL, because besides the fact that I had no clue who he was or anything about him besides the music he made I had given their first 45 an ok review.
I never got it, never understood why the local media was so determined to make them a success when there were dozens of better bands in Austin. I guess they finally found a hit sound and they have a song or two that I will hear in movies or the radio and be surprised that it’s Spoon because they’re perfectly fine ACL pop songs.

They have a newer song called no bullets spent. Also good!

I love spoon and loved them before I knew they were from Austin.

Odd that idig is on about them like they’re rusted root or something haha. They’re like like an arty sorta rock band w a penchant for killer hooks brah! Soundtrack of my life sort of band

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
They have a newer song called no bullets spent. Also good!

I love spoon and loved them before I knew they were from Austin.

Odd that idig is on about them like they’re rusted root or something haha. They’re like like an arty sorta rock band w a penchant for killer hooks brah! Soundtrack of my life sort of band
Just one of those dime a dozen bands with nothing interesting or important to say, but also not fun.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
idig doesn't usually stay in bad take hotel, but everyone spends a night there eventually.
They’re 100% a band who you hear on the radio and have to Shazam b3 amuse you can’t remember which of 50 bands it is. They’re background noise pop.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Just one of those dime a dozen bands with nothing interesting or important to say, but also not fun.
They’re 100% a band who you hear on the radio and have to Shazam b3 amuse you can’t remember which of 50 bands it is. They’re background noise pop.
I felt similarly (though perhaps not quite as negatively) about Spoon for a long time.

They also happen to be one of those bands whose annoyingly over-zealous fans actually make the band less likable (like the Tech of pop music). See, e.g.,
But I have to admit that their last album, Hot Thoughts, turned me around on them somewhat. The title track and “Can I Sit Next to You” are really catchy songs.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I wish we had a station down here that had the balls to play someone like Spoon.

I don't think of them as pop, at least not related to what is popular these days. They'll sneak one into the poposphere every now and then like that Underdog song (which I abhorred), but that doesn't make them an outright pop outfit anymore than Wilco or Portugal. The Man who have had similar experiences. Still kind of an indie vibe that has gotten more and more groovy over time. I like them as an example of bridging music from the nineties and into the next wave.

Also, I can separate their songs from others when I hear them, but I guess that might be because I have several of their albums. I don't know anything about this Austin media obsession though. That's before me.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
I started watching Yellowstone so now am jamming to Ryan Bingham at work today. Watching his live video from New Braunfels a couple years ago. Bought tickets to his show in Austin this november.

Reactions: PFD

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
this is the most negative view I've ever seen you take on this site. Gave me a chuckle, I like em fine, not a superfan or anything.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
obvious troll is obvious
Oh no, actually being completely serious. And I say that thinking Britt is personally a bit of a turd. But the way they always swapped guitar and keys mid-song was always really great.

Lines in the Suit and Everything Hits at Once on Girls Can Tell, Small Stakes and the Way We Get By on Kill the moonlight, I Summon You and The Beast and Dragon on Gimme Fiction, Eddie's Ragga and the Underdog on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, all great tracks.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I shouldn't be as shocked since all he puts out is quality music, but the new Ed Shereen album is gas.

Bring on all the slanderish comments about being into the same artist as chicks, I'm ready.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Oh no, actually being completely serious. And I say that thinking Britt is personally a bit of a turd. But the way they always swapped guitar and keys mid-song was always really great.

Lines in the Suit and Everything Hits at Once on Girls Can Tell, Small Stakes and the Way We Get By on Kill the moonlight, I Summon You and The Beast and Dragon on Gimme Fiction, Eddie's Ragga and the Underdog on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, all great tracks.
Again, it's a genre that I find utterly boring. The one about the camera is the only mildly interesting song.

The 13th Floor Elevators practically invented psychedelic rock.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
Again, it's a genre that I find utterly boring. The one about the camera is the only mildly interesting song.

The 13th Floor Elevators practically invented psychedelic rock.
Yeah, and they have a couple good songs, but Spoon put out good records for like 20 years. Whether or not you find the genre interesting, their body of work stands out for quality and longevity.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Yeah, and they have a couple good songs, but Spoon put out good records for like 20 years. Whether or not you find the genre interesting, their body of work stands out for quality and longevity.
I mean, we were asked about our opinions about the band, not whether they've released albums that achieved levels of popularity over the course of a couple of decades. I guess MC Hammer is better than DJ Screw.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
I mean, we were asked about our opinions about the band, not whether they've released albums that achieved levels of popularity over the course of a couple of decades. I guess MC Hammer is better than DJ Screw.
? I was saying Roky had a couple great songs but a short peak. Spoon has had a really long peak.

Pretty sure Screw’s overall output exceeds Hammer’s in volume. My point is that Spoon has been really good at what it does for many years. That makes it a good band, regardless of genre.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
? I was saying Roky had a couple great songs but a short peak. Spoon has had a really long peak.

Pretty sure Screw’s overall output exceeds Hammer’s in volume. My point is that Spoon has been really good at what it does for many years. That makes it a good band, regardless of genre.
You were basically saying that Spoon has been around for a long time and is popular therefore they are better than 13th Floor Elevators who basically created a subgenre of music that has had an effect of the larger genre of rock/pop. MC Hammer had movies, TV shows, sold 10 million albums, and more of the American public would be able to name him and ID his songs on the radio, but DJ Screw created a whole subgenre of music that also changed the larger genre of hip-hop.
As to your point, if one doesn't care for Spoon's music, their longevity is meaningless. To me, it's bland, disposable, interchangeable.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Austin
You were basically saying that Spoon has been around for a long time and is popular therefore they are better than 13th Floor Elevators who basically created a subgenre of music that has had an effect of the larger genre of rock/pop. MC Hammer had movies, TV shows, sold 10 million albums, and more of the American public would be able to name him and ID his songs on the radio, but DJ Screw created a whole subgenre of music that also changed the larger genre of hip-hop.
As to your point, if one doesn't care for Spoon's music, their longevity is meaningless. To me, it's bland, disposable, interchangeable.
That’s such a long way to say that you’re wrong, breh!