What are you listening to?

PFD

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
If one were to suddenly be open to Mars Volta, which album would you suggest this person start with?
If you’re interested in Mars Volta and you like Rage Against the Machine, then you might check out the work of the short-lived band One Day as a Lion, which featured former RATM frontman Zack De La Rocha and former TMV drummer Jon Theodore.

I think they only made one album. “Wild International” and “One Day as a Lion” are awesome tracks.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
If you’re interested in Mars Volta and you like Rage Against the Machine, then you might check out the work of the short-lived band One Day as a Lion, which featured former RATM frontman Zack De La Rocha and former TMV drummer Jon Theodore.

I think they only made one album. “Wild International” and “One Day as a Lion” are awesome tracks.
Not a Mars Volta fan but love Jon Theodore. He was in a band called Golden with some of the guys from Trans Am and Six Finger Satellite that was great.

Reactions: PFD

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Not a Mars Volta fan but love Jon Theodore. He was in a band called Golden with some of the guys from Trans Am and Six Finger Satellite that was great.
He’s now the drummer for Queens of the Stone Age.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Woods is a band that I had heard of but hadn't heard until they came up recently on a playlist. I'm really digging this song/record. Always read them described as a psych folk band. This isn't folky. Has a nice psych tinge, though. Nice guitars on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: idighorns

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
Woods is a band that I had heard of but hadn't heard until they came up recently on a playlist. I'm really digging this song/record. Always read them described as a psych folk band. This isn't folky. Has a nice psych tinge, though. Nice guitars on it.

so...this **** is super dark.

david berman (silver jews/purple mountains)...died yesterday and the purple mountains album was basically a suicide note. the connection is the guy from woods produced the new album and setup the backing band (which i believe is guys from woods too) for his tour which was supposed to start this weekend.

anyhow the album is good and a lot of silver jews stuff is good to great as well. bummer

Reactions: dmatx

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
so...this **** is super dark.

david berman (silver jews/purple mountains)...died yesterday and the purple mountains album was basically a suicide note. the connection is the guy from woods produced the new album and setup the backing band (which i believe is guys from woods too) for his tour which was supposed to start this weekend.

anyhow the album is good and a lot of silver jews stuff is good to great as well. bummer
I saw that. Haven't listened to Purple Mountains yet but I am a SJ fan. No one could write lyrics like Berman - great turns of phrase. Sad turn of events.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
I saw that. Haven't listened to Purple Mountains yet but I am a SJ fan. No one could write lyrics like Berman - great turns of phrase. Sad turn of events.
yea. big bummer. purple mountains is def. worth your time. feels a bit darker than it did a few days ago when i was listening to it but it still has some bright bits. ****ty deal.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
best albums so far this year? here's what i got...missing anything?

deerhunter - why hasn't everything already disappeared?
cate le bon - reward
bill callahan - shepherd in a sheepskin vest
purple mountains - s/t
weyes blood - titanic rising
mark ronson - late night feelings
white fence - i have to feed larry's hawk
hatchie - keepsake
wand - laughing matter

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I finally talked myself into getting Spotify. Despite the feeling of dread that whenever I walk into a music store, they're going to start chanting YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT, I can see that there's just too much stuff that I'm missing out on whenever I visit this thread. So I'm gonna start out with this Purple Mountains, then probably that Weyes Blood malaise has been raving about, then maybe go back through this thread and see what else I should give a listen. Silversun Pickups has a new album I wasn't aware of as does Two Door Cinema Club.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
I finally talked myself into getting Spotify. Despite the feeling of dread that whenever I walk into a music store, they're going to start chanting YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT YOU SOLD OUT, I can see that there's just too much stuff that I'm missing out on whenever I visit this thread. So I'm gonna start out with this Purple Mountains, then probably that Weyes Blood malaise has been raving about, then maybe go back through this thread and see what else I should give a listen. Silversun Pickups has a new album I wasn't aware of as does Two Door Cinema Club.
i have a hard time going back to feeling like a sellout about it tbh. i've downloaded **** most of my life...but i also bought a ton of ****, and went to a ton of shows, and always bought merch even when it was check to check livin. i don't have time to go to shows like i used to but if i did i'd probably at least get a shirt but i'd also probably get in for free so idk idk mike

also yea...weyes blood. she is the ****in best.

if you like thom yorke sounding vocals do the wand album

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
i have a hard time going back to feeling like a sellout about it tbh. i've downloaded **** most of my life...but i also bought a ton of ****, and went to a ton of shows, and always bought merch even when it was check to check livin. i don't have time to go to shows like i used to but if i did i'd probably at least get a shirt but i'd also probably get in for free so idk idk mike

also yea...weyes blood. she is the ****in best.

if you like thom yorke sounding vocals do the wand album
It's just that I always liked the music store. I wasn't really guy that spends an afternoon just flicking CD case after CD case, but it was cool and I'll miss it if all those places go under. Anyway, I just started my trial period so if I feel the heat around the corner, I can still walk out in thirty seconds flat.

I just saw that you can also listen to singles and B-sides for some bands too! That was one thing I never got into. I never bought the EP CD with like the single and the three songs that didn't make the cut on the studio album because that didn't make sense to me.