What are you listening to?

Horn17

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 2, 2012
I got to see Amos Lee at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville this weekend.

Great show in a legendary venue.
Love me some Amos. Saw him in Houston a week or so ago and got to meet him after the show. Really good, humble dude. Been listening to him for years and still don’t know that I’ve ever heard a better voice. He’s so damn good.

Reactions: PFD

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Yes. Saw them at the Granada in 2012, and it was one of the best shows I've been too. Their album from 2015 was very well done. I liked the two songs I heard on SNL
I remember some reviews that criticized that 2015 album because of too much synthesizer use that got too far away from their sound but I don't know. I like it.

hobbes

Member Who Talks
Sep 7, 2017
Dallas, TX
I remember some reviews that criticized that 2015 album because of too much synthesizer use that got too far away from their sound but I don't know. I like it.
It's still psychedelic, but with a bit more of pop influence. I really enjoyed it. It's amazing that Kevin Parker writes, and records most of the tracks himself. Truly a musical genius.

The two new tracks seem like Parker is going in a 'groovy' direction. I'm pretty pumped to hear the new album.

Reactions: malaise

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
It's still psychedelic, but with a bit more of pop influence. I really enjoyed it. It's amazing that Kevin Parker writes, and records most of the tracks himself. Truly a musical genius.

The two new tracks seem like Parker is going in a 'groovy' direction. I'm pretty pumped to hear the new album.
They haven’t made a bad album yet. They’re as good as anyone goin

Reactions: hobbes

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Here's the new song. Give it a shot, you may dig it:

I think Vampire Weekend suffered from excessive hype, and it didn't help that they came out of the NY scene right when we were all getting sick of the NY scene. It was very easy to play "spot the influences" with them. But today I'd call them, to steal a sports term, a post-hype sleeper. You can skip the first two albums but their third, Modern Vampires of the City, is to me a stone-cold classic and one of my favorite albums of the decade.
Ezra is *not* worthy of Rashida or the Quincy line...but the new album sounds very intriguing.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Dusted off my Zeppelin How the West Was Won dvd's tonight and gave their Danish TV 1969 show a watch. Holy cow. Robert Plant is the best pure Rock singer. JPJ is the most rock solid bass player in rock history. John Bonham is deserving of his nickname and his reputation for being an animal. Freaking hammer of the gods in either hand.

And then there is Jimmy Page, whose guitar prowess transcends description. Best rock guitarist of all time, and it's not even close.

I was at SXSW this year, and I met the makers of a film documentary about a Japanese guy who does the most insane, obsessive impression of Jimmy Page. Film and guy are called Mr. Jimmy.

He doesn't just cover Led Zeppelin songs. He covers individual live performances, note for note etc.

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Listened to a lot of built to spill recently and ooooooh man are they good
My man. Their run from Perfect From Now On to Keep It Like A Secret to Ancient Melodies of the Future is as good as any band of that era.

One of the great live acts, too. I've seen them cover both "Baba O'Reilly" and "Cortez the Killer" and both melted my face.

Last edited:

windycityhorn

Jun 11, 2012
Ezra is *not* worthy of Rashida or the Quincy line...but the new album sounds very intriguing.
I did not know until your post that Ezra was with Rashida Jones. That blows my mind. But it's so perfect. I'd have pegged Ezra to get with one of Paul Simon and Edie Brickell's daughters, but I hadn't thought about Rashida. You can't get any more on-brand for the frontman of Vampire Weekend than dating the half-Jewish daughter of Quincy Jones.

Replying to you but for the board in general, lately I'm really enjoying the new albums by Andrew Bird (My Finest Work Yet) and Jenny Lewis (On The Line). Both are good Sunday-morning or -evening listens, for those so inclined.

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
My man. Their run from Perfect From Now On to Keep It Like A Secret to Ancient Melodies of the Future is as good as any band of that era.

One of the great live acts, too. I've seen them cover both "Baba O'Reilly" and "Cortez the Killer" and both melted my face.
Cortez the killer is on Spotify and it’s still a face melter

Reactions: windycityhorn

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I did not know until your post that Ezra was with Rashida Jones. That blows my mind. But it's so perfect. I'd have pegged Ezra to get with one of Paul Simon and Edie Brickell's daughters, but I hadn't thought about Rashida. You can't get any more on-brand for the frontman of Vampire Weekend than dating the half-Jewish daughter of Quincy Jones.

Replying to you but for the board in general, lately I'm really enjoying the new albums by Andrew Bird (My Finest Work Yet) and Jenny Lewis (On The Line). Both are good Sunday-morning or -evening listens, for those so inclined.
Jenny’s new one is one of the next I have queued up for my rotation.

And this seems as good a place as any to plug Rashida’s doc about her father on Netflix, Quincy.

That man’s life and career test the bounds of believability.

As for listening, these are three of the albums I’ve found most intriguing so far in 2019:

Karen O & Danger Mouse, Lux Prima
Leikeli47, Acrylic
Rival Sons, Feral Roots

And for any Public Enemy fans out there, Chuck D has a surprisingly potent solo album from last year called Chuck D As Mistachuk: Celebration of Ignorance.

And Crystal Method’s Trip Home is another good 2018 blast from the 20th century past.

Reactions: windycityhorn

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
The wife and I are going to see Eric Church at the AAC on Friday night.

I don't care for most of what Nashville is selling these days, but he's good.

Reactions: Boogieman

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
No kidding. The dude from L'il Cap'n Travis (not Christian, the other dude) is playing guitar with Callahan now too -- saw him at Central Pres last year.
Sorry to revive a years-old topic but LCT steel player Gary Newcomb is playing tele with the Tender Things these days and it's pretty great. Tender Things is the "solo" project Jesse Ebaugh (bass player from Heartless Bastards and my former bandmate in December Boys). I could watch Gary play guitar all day long.

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
Depends on the day/mood. I am happy with pretty much most music. I retired from the military in 2016 and the constant influx of younger members willingly or unwillingly conditions you to accept all aspects of music. Everything from Dubstep, Trap, Country, to Heavy Metal, 60’s on up Rock, and what I grew up on 90’s era Gangsta Rap and grunge rock.

hobbes

Member Who Talks
Sep 7, 2017
Dallas, TX
Reactions: bodieman

josephcook

Inside Texas Writer
Staff member
Feb 11, 2013
Austin
That’s a precocious list. I’m old enough to have most of those on analog formats.

The re-appraisal of the band Live continues to surprise me. They got unfashionable real fast. I used to listen to that album back when I was living in Jester and caught flak for it.
Are they just considered bland? I get that. I enjoy that album a lot for some reason.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
That’s a precocious list. I’m old enough to have most of those on analog formats.

The re-appraisal of the band Live continues to surprise me. They got unfashionable real fast. I used to listen to that album back when I was living in Jester and caught flak for it.
Throwing Copper was one of the seminal albums of the 1990s. Anyone who claims otherwise is selling something.

I saw Live open for Counting Crows last summer. Live was awesome. Ed Kowalzcyk sounded like 1995. They put on a great show.

I wish I could say the same of Adam Duritz and Counting Crows.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Throwing Copper was one of the seminal albums of the 1990s. Anyone who claims otherwise is selling something.
This is true. Live lost steam towards the back end of their run, but Throwing Copper was as good as it gets at that time and holds up incredibly well today. If you make a list and throw out all-time monsters of that period in music like OK Computer, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, The Colour and the Shape, Downward Spiral, Dookie, Ten, Nevermind, I have no problems if you drop Throwing Copper somewhere in that list.

Last edited:
Reactions: PFD

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
This is true. Live lost steam towards the back end of their run, but Throwing Copper was as good as it gets at that time and holds up incredibly well today. If you make a list and throw out all-time monsters of that period in music like OK Computer, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, The Colour and the Shape, Downward Spiral, Dookie, Ten, Nevermind, I have no problems if you drop Throwing Copper somewhere in that list.
I agree that Throwing Copper was their zenith. But I still like, and still listen to, a number of tracks from subsequent albums.

For example, "Lakini's Juice," "Dolphin's Cry," "Turn My Head," and "Heaven" are all good music.

BTW, I think you and I have discussed this before, but my favorite track of theirs is probably "White, Discussion."

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
P.S. We should take your list and turn it into a new thread to get everyone's takes on the best or most significant albums of the 90s, which some would say was the last great decade for rock music.

Would probably make for some interesting discussion.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
P.S. We should take your list and turn it into a new thread to get everyone's takes on the best or most significant albums of the 90s, which some would say was the last great decade for rock music.

do this, brah! or do it here.

the 2000s had a good run, imo...but the mass appeal wasn't the same

fdub206

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
kent, washington

Solid idea!