What Are You Playing?

MikeHdez12

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Update, I am hopelessly addicted to Stardew Valley. And the game tracks the amount of real-time you've played, which makes it worse.
Lemme axe you something.

How's that Classic Game Fest in Austin? Is it like a convention where you meet famous people or do you play on different consoles? Exhibits and stuff like that? I really want to go, but I'm trying to decide if my brother would enjoy it so he could tag along. He's a gamer and watches Twitch all the time, but if we're just gonna stand around in a mass of people and inhale nerd gases all day, I don't want to try to sell him on something that he wouldn't enjoy.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Lemme axe you something.

How's that Classic Game Fest in Austin? Is it like a convention where you meet famous people or do you play on different consoles? Exhibits and stuff like that? I really want to go, but I'm trying to decide if my brother would enjoy it so he could tag along.
Not famous people like you would at, say, your basic Sci-Fi or Comic fest/con. It's generally local luminaries like Ernie Cline (Ready Player One author) and Richard Garriott (aka Lord British, founder of Origin Systems, famous game designer) and cult retro video game folks like Howard Warshaw (Atari designer infamous for ET). There are cosplayers but I don't know who any of them are. They have live music, either nerdy music bands or people making video game style music. There are classic consoles set up in a few spots, an area where retro game tournaments are happening (you can watch on big screen or sign up, or both) and a classic arcade console area (run by Pinballz iirc). A lot of the space is dealers selling video games, nerd themed clothing, and collectibles, and then there is an artist/crafts dealer area with handmade stuff.
It's fun for 2-3 a day, especially if you don't mind digging through dealer stuff. The arcade area is fun but gets really crowded and you have to wait to play games. There's a group that makes new Atari games that has a cool set-up where you can play their games. Have never really wanted to stay through the whole day.

Reactions: MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Not famous people like you would at, say, your basic Sci-Fi or Comic fest/con. It's generally local luminaries like Ernie Cline (Ready Player One author) and Richard Garriott (aka Lord British, founder of Origin Systems, famous game designer) and cult retro video game folks like Howard Warshaw (Atari designer infamous for ET). There are cosplayers but I don't know who any of them are. They have live music, either nerdy music bands or people making video game style music. There are classic consoles set up in a few spots, an area where retro game tournaments are happening (you can watch on big screen or sign up, or both) and a classic arcade console area (run by Pinballz iirc). A lot of the space is dealers selling video games, nerd themed clothing, and collectibles, and then there is an artist/crafts dealer area with handmade stuff.
It's fun for 2-3 a day, especially if you don't mind digging through dealer stuff. The arcade area is fun but gets really crowded and you have to wait to play games. There's a group that makes new Atari games that has a cool set-up where you can play their games. Have never really wanted to stay through the whole day.
Much thanks. This will be enough info for him to make a decision.

Reactions: idighorns

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
E3 conference was this week/early this week. Some gameplay and a few trailers for some games that I'm excited about, in order of how excited I am:
1. The Last of Us Part II. The original is quite possibly my favorite single player game and this one looks amazing too. Probably comes out in 2019.

2. Cyberpunk 2077. From the creators of Witcher 3, another yet much different looking RPG. Probably 2019 at the earliest.

3. Spider Man. Looks like Arkham style Spider Man game. Comes out in September.

4. Ghost of Tsushima. Don't know much about this one but the trailer looks great, graphics look amazing. You play as a Samurai fighting an invading Mongol force. Don't know the release date.

5. Battlefield 5. Battlefield returns to WW2. This is the Multiplayer trailer, but there is a lot of other footage out there. I'm on the fence on this one as I just bought Post Scriptum, which is a more realistic and immersive WW2 shooter for PC. But this looks pretty fun. Comes out in October

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I generally steer clear of RPGs but Cyberpunk 2077 looks sleek as hell.

From the Nintendo side of things, we're getting Smash Bros Ultimate with GameCube controller capability. I'll definitely be getting that. There's also a new Mario Party. Seems like it's been awhile since we had a good offering in this franchise. The formula is there and always has been. Maybe a return to basics is what's been missing.

Reactions: Robert STRONG

Chigger100

Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
Just finished Far Cry 5 now starting on the new God of War. Great graphics but I really hate games that put so much into modifying and shopping for things in game.

Reactions: khaled

Horn17

Oct 2, 2012
Just finished Far Cry 5 now starting on the new God of War. Great graphics but I really hate games that put so much into modifying and shopping for things in game.
How was Far Cry 5? Love that series.

Chigger100

Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
How was Far Cry 5? Love that series.
It was typical Far Cry running around doing the same missions over and over. The final battle was a letdown but overall a good game. I love taking out the outposts so I'm glad they kept that aspect.

Horn17

Oct 2, 2012
It was typical Far Cry running around doing the same missions over and over. The final battle was a letdown but overall a good game. I love taking out the outposts so I'm glad they kept that aspect.
Outposts are my favorite part too.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
E3 conference was this week/early this week. Some gameplay and a few trailers for some games that I'm excited about, in order of how excited I am:
1. The Last of Us Part II. The original is quite possibly my favorite single player game and this one looks amazing too. Probably comes out in 2019.

2. Cyberpunk 2077. From the creators of Witcher 3, another yet much different looking RPG. Probably 2019 at the earliest.

4. Ghost of Tsushima. Don't know much about this one but the trailer looks great, graphics look amazing. You play as a Samurai fighting an invading Mongol force. Don't know the release date.

5. Battlefield 5. Battlefield returns to WW2. This is the Multiplayer trailer, but there is a lot of other footage out there. I'm on the fence on this one as I just bought Post Scriptum, which is a more realistic and immersive WW2 shooter for PC. But this looks pretty fun. Comes out in October
I hope Spider Man is as good as the Arkham franchise, also hope it's cross-platform.

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
I hope Spider Man is as good as the Arkham franchise, also hope it's cross-platform.
Looks like its only PS4 unfortunately. I have Xbone and PS4 and its crazy how much PS4 kills Xbone in exclusives. Xbone has Halo and Gears...anything else? I probably would only have PS4 but all my friends went Xbox so I didn't want to miss out on playing with them.

Reactions: khaled

Chigger100

Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
Looks like its only PS4 unfortunately. I have Xbone and PS4 and its crazy how much PS4 kills Xbone in exclusives. Xbone has Halo and Gears...anything else? I probably would only have PS4 but all my friends went Xbox so I didn't want to miss out on playing with them.
Come over to the Darkside. The PS4 rocks with games and other features. I have an Xbox but hardly use it. Maybe it's because I have always had PlayStations I just like everything about them more.

Reactions: TexanBlood

khaled

Aug 23, 2009
40 acres
Late to the party but started playing Rainbow Six Seige lately. The online is addictive.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
I generally steer clear of RPGs but Cyberpunk 2077 looks sleek as hell.

From the Nintendo side of things, we're getting Smash Bros Ultimate with GameCube controller capability. I'll definitely be getting that. There's also a new Mario Party. Seems like it's been awhile since we had a good offering in this franchise. The formula is there and always has been. Maybe a return to basics is what's been missing.
I hate Mario Party, it cheats so much in favor of the computer player.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Wish it was dos bobby's porch
Come over to the Darkside. The PS4 rocks with games and other features. I have an Xbox but hardly use it. Maybe it's because I have always had PlayStations I just like everything about them more.
Have you played Horizon Zero Dawn yet? Probably one of the best games out there right now. God of War was LEGIT! Finished it a month ago.

That said, I'm hearing PS5 could possibly come out in 2020. If so, I must admit, the eighth generation will probably be the worst in terms of new games in my opinion.

Reactions: Mr.Lucas

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010

Dude, another game that stood out to met at E3, Death Stranding. That game looks crazy as ****! Wanna get that one.

If had to guess, I'm assuming that and Ghost of Tsushiama won't come out till 2020 if not later. With no release dates usually these games come out few years later from when they premiere at E3. Same with Elder Scroll 6.

I'll be getting AC Odyssey this year too.

Reactions: Robert STRONG

Mr.Lucas

Member Who Talks
Feb 7, 2015
New York
I have finally finished the UNCHARTED series and with few critiques I absolutely loved it. I got a PS$ pro in anticipation of RED DEAD 2 coming out this fall. Since it is generally just me playing, (my daughter is 6 and is horrible on the stick so we get destroyed in Fortenight) I've really taken to RPGs. I've purchased WITCHER 3 but I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm a sucker for a great narrative and this one is apparently fantastic I just haven't gotten into it yet.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
I have finally finished the UNCHARTED series and with few critiques I absolutely loved it. I got a PS$ pro in anticipation of RED DEAD 2 coming out this fall. Since it is generally just me playing, (my daughter is 6 and is horrible on the stick so we get destroyed in Fortenight) I've really taken to RPGs. I've purchased WITCHER 3 but I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm a sucker for a great narrative and this one is apparently fantastic I just haven't gotten into it yet.
Dude check out God of War. Story and game play are amazing.

After I played Horizon I too was burned out and took a break from gaming.

TexanBlood

Jan 22, 2010
Is this a 'Begin at One' situation or do you recommend I start later in the series?
I asked that myself. I considered starting the first game but I found it lame playing a sixth generation game on a PS3 and a seventh generation on the PS4. So I ended up reading the first three on Wikipedia as I know some others did as well.

It’s up to you though as the previous ones are awesome I hear.

Reactions: Mr.Lucas

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I’ve fallen deep, deep, deep into my annual Summer Gaming Binge rabbit hole.

Specifically, building 25-man alltime Astros and Rangers rosters on The Show 18 and simulating matches and tracking the stats.

I’ve been doing the same for basketball the last few summers, but basketball is too depressing. So I’m on baseball for now.

If anyone’s interested, I’ll post results eventually.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Never was a gamer but Goldeneye was fun because we'd have parties around it. I remember we couldn't find it anywhere at first because it was sold out so a few of us bought paintball guns and played it for real on the golf course.

Mario Kart and Golf were great fun too.

I was the last kid in California to have Nintendo Original but ended up loving RBI, Double Dribble, Excite Bike, Contra, Kung Fu, etc.

Man I miss those summer sleepovers and staying up past MIDNIGHT!
True fact: Goldeneye was the first video game that made me realize I actually enjoy watching others play sometimes (with occasional commentary like “Try this” or “Look over there”) more than actually playing myself.

acreativeusername

Nov 27, 2016
Just finished the Witcher 3 and it was fantastic. The quality of the DLC was unreal too, better than a lot of standalone games

Sneezybeltran

Dec 4, 2013
I saw @idighorns identify as a geek in one of the other threads, but I can more than hold my own in that regard. I traveled in many circles in high school because I was a decent athlete and a nerd. Still am... well a nerd, anyway.

So, what are you guys playing? Myself, a lot of Smash Bros., some Madden, trying to replay Perfect Dark. I'm constantly revisiting games from the past, but those are the current ones. I've always loved sports games, used to be a badass at FPSs, but my talent diminished after Halo 3.

P.S. Feel free to reminisce about games from the past (Goldeneye is the GOAT). I go as far back as NES myself.
Yo momma

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I know this is an ad, but I still think this is awesome. Didn't know these were available for purchase.

https://kinjadeals.theinventory.com/preorder-and-save-100-on-these-1uparcades-stunning-new-1827886817?ks=streamshare&ks=nativestream

Of those five, I think I'm going with the Rampage, Gauntlet, Joust, Defender cabinet. Really, they're all pretty cool. Never got into button mashing, so the Street Fighter one might be the only one not for me.

Absolutely love me some Joust (although the pterodactyl scared the ever living **** out of me as a kid), Rampage was pretty cool.

Last edited:

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Classic Game Fest was a blasty blast.
I was there both days. First day the wife and I took our "nieces" (her best friend's daughters) and we mostly did some toy and art shopping. They enjoyed it. Sunday we did more dedicated game and stuff shopping and watched some of the various tournaments going on. Only played a couple of games though.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I was there both days. First day the wife and I took our "nieces" (her best friend's daughters) and we mostly did some toy and art shopping. They enjoyed it. Sunday we did more dedicated game and stuff shopping and watched some of the various tournaments going on. Only played a couple of games though.
We probably crossed paths and never knew it! I was only there Sunday. My brother and I spent a good chunk of time over by the cabinets and the pinball tables. That booth with all the wacky controllers was interesting but looked maddening, the one with the light switches especially.

Looked around at all the vendors, but most of the shirts I was interested in were sold out in my size so I'm gonna jump online and pick out a couple soon. I did stop by that booth that had the small stand-up sprites. Picked up a Super Mario Kart Yoshi and a Tanooki Mario. Really like that purchase on my bookshelf. Also found a copy of F-Zero for SNES to replace the one I lost many, many moons ago.

One of my favorite things there was that crazy 3-D Pong table where the paddles and ball were physically motorized. Kid brother kicked the **** out of me though. I couldn't get the hang of the wheel.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
We probably crossed paths and never knew it! I was only there Sunday. My brother and I spent a good chunk of time over by the cabinets and the pinball tables. That booth with all the wacky controllers was interesting but looked maddening, the one with the light switches especially.

Looked around at all the vendors, but most of the shirts I was interested in were sold out in my size so I'm gonna jump online and pick out a couple soon. I did stop by that booth that had the small stand-up sprites. Picked up a Super Mario Kart Yoshi and a Tanooki Mario. Really like that purchase on my bookshelf. Also found a copy of F-Zero for SNES to replace the one I lost many, many moons ago.

One of my favorite things there was that crazy 3-D Pong table where the paddles and ball were physically motorized. Kid brother kicked the **** out of me though. I couldn't get the hang of the wheel.

Oh dang I didn't see that! Spent a good amount of time at the central tournament area where people were doing a modded version of Duck Hunt with a PVC bazooka. It was near the ginormous joystick.
My wife makes some perler (pixel/sprite) things but I know the fancy ones you're talking about. Someone had made tiny 3d replica arcade cabinets using those.
I bought a Sega Genesis controller, a set of Atari paddle controllers, the Superman cartridge for Atari 2600, a few $1 Atari games and a strategy guide for Final Fantasy 8. Oh, and a Space Invaders coozie. I mostly bought my wife stuff as she's the big video game/stuff collector.

Reactions: MikeHdez12

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Judging by the fact that I can't go a couple hours without seeing or hearing something about it, I guess Spiderman for PS4 is the best game of all time?

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out tonight at 11:00 PM. Getting a lot of high reviews. Good spoiler free review video below.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Judging by the fact that I can't go a couple hours without seeing or hearing something about it, I guess Spiderman for PS4 is the best game of all time?
Just finished playing it for the night. I love it. It is completely and totally a ripoff of the Arkham games, but I don’t care because the Arkham games are the best games, and I never want to play anything else.

Platform ripoff aside (who even cares, there are a bazillion 1p-shooters built on similar platforms), I think the game does an excellent job of differentiating the Spider-Man experience from the Batman experience. It’s a blast.

The other biggest change is funning around in real, live “New York City”. Madison Square Garden. Freedom Tower. Times Square. Central Park. Etc.

Gotham didn’t have that.

I am greatly hopeful this will be a continuation of many more superhero games to come. Avengers etc.