What Are You Playing?

Robert STRONG

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 12, 2015
What are y'alls thoughts on this one? I'm very biased in the pro column.
It's fantastic. Most immersive world ever delivered by a video game thus far. If you kill an animal or person, you can come back to their body days later to find their decomposing body or bones. If you rob a house and kill the owner, the house will go into disrepair. NPCs remember your past actions and will react to your presence accordingly. Story, voice acting and cinematography all top notch.

On the negative side, the controls are sluggish and clunky. Certain button combos seem to change for certain actions or are otherwise unintuitive. This is typical with Rockstar games, but feels worse here. However, the game is so great, I am willing and eager to overlook this and play more.

I finished Spiderman just in time to play this and that's probably two of the best back to back games I've ever played. Agree with everything @Young Williams said about Spiderman. It's a ripoff, but surpasses the Arkham games which I also enjoyed. Supposedly more marvel video games are in the works or at least being discussed behind the scenes.

Reactions: Young Williams

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I've never been one for open world action-adventure type games, but they seem to be all the rage with Spiderman and RDR2. May have to just get over it and get one of them.

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
The first one was pretty damn goood but I'm not spending $80 on it. I will get in on gamefly and play the **** out of it over a weekend.
I got my copy for $60 on the Xbox store. I think $80 is for the Deluxe edition or whatever. I'm not sure what you get extra that's not in the base game, but my guess is you don't need it.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I've never been one for open world action-adventure type games, but they seem to be all the rage with Spiderman and RDR2. May have to just get over it and get one of them.
Fwiw (probably not much), I’d start with the original Arkham Asylum.

I think you can enjoy Asylum to City to Origins to Knight to Spider-Man.

But if you start with Spider-Man, the Arkham games may not seem as groundbreaking.

There’s been a progression, and it’s been delightful, and it started with a great original game.

The jump from Asylum to Arkham City is probably Jurassic Park amber-fossilized forever in my mind as my all-time favorite moment in gaming.

Plus, in this “machete” version, you can claim hipster righteous authority when all your friends are talking about Spidey but you’re all, nah man Asylum on vinyl.

**SPOILER ALERT**

@Robert STRONG I played the Spidey rave scene last night. That was fun.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Fwiw (probably not much), I’d start with the original Arkham Asylum.

I think you can enjoy Asylum to City to Origins to Knight to Spider-Man.

But if you start with Spider-Man, the Arkham games may not seem as groundbreaking.

There’s been a progression, and it’s been delightful, and it started with a great original game.

The jump from Asylum to Arkham City is probably Jurassic Park amber-fossilized forever in my mind as my all-time favorite moment in gaming.

Plus, in this “machete” version, you can claim hipster righteous authority when all your friends are talking about Spidey but you’re all, nah man Asylum on vinyl.

**SPOILER ALERT**

@Robert STRONG I played the Spidey rave scene last night. That was fun.
The last game I played that is anywhere close to this genre was Sunset Overdrive, which I actually really liked. Part of the problem is I don't like wandering around and looking for **** to do. I like having objectives, like getting stars in a Mario game. Also, I'm not playing a bunch of anything right now lest I drown in a sea of unwatched fall TV.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
The last game I played that is anywhere close to this genre was Sunset Overdrive, which I actually really liked. Part of the problem is I don't like wandering around and looking for **** to do. I like having objectives, like getting stars in a Mario game. Also, I'm not playing a bunch of anything right now lest I drown in a sea of unwatched fall TV.
The narrative element of these games is the entire reason I play them. Which is to say, if you want to stay “on task”, these games make it easy for you to do so.

If you want to be all Sting and play tantrically, delaying your gratification as it were, the option is there to meander and just roam the earth like Kane in Kung Fu.

But I prefer to get down to the nitty-gritty for the most part. What you’ve described is pretty much why these are the only games I play. The story keeps things moving forward.

Just my $.02.

Reactions: Mr.Lucas

Mr.Lucas

Member Who Talks
Feb 7, 2015
New York
I never played the first RedDead. Is that a necessity to play the 2nd one?
Start with RDR2 from a story and just “holy **** this is impressive” point of view. It’s a great place to go. If you’re still into the story go to RDR1 next and see what happens. The plot and character twists are as Shakepearean as they come. With Dutch serving as a Falstaffian Iago figure.

Plus, RDR2 has a ‘drinking mission’ that is one of the more creative and fun things I’ve played in a while.

If you can play in 4K, do!

Reactions: Texasmade

hobbes

Member Who Talks
Sep 7, 2017
Dallas, TX
I just started RDR2 last night - looks amazing so far, although I haven't even really started the story line yet (still in the snow headed for the Liviticus train).

Side note - I travel a bunch for work, and have been using PS4 remote play to play on my laptop at night, and it's a great feature for those on the go. Does xbox have something similar?

T-Horn

Oct 29, 2008
I loved Red Dead Revolver on PSWhatsitsnuts and played Red Dead Redemption some. Love open world games and RDR2 might be the first game I pay full price for in a long time.

Reactions: hobbes

Chigger100

Oct 29, 2008
Colorado
I just started RDR2 last night - looks amazing so far, although I haven't even really started the story line yet (still in the snow headed for the Liviticus train).

Side note - I travel a bunch for work, and have been using PS4 remote play to play on my laptop at night, and it's a great feature for those on the go. Does xbox have something similar?
I travel a lot and haven't heard of that. What kind of set up do I need?

hobbes

Member Who Talks
Sep 7, 2017
Dallas, TX
Reactions: T-Horn

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
Everquest on Project 1999 Emulator Server. Some good ole nostalgia from the first massively popular MMORPG that opened the gates for WoW. My guild leader from the original Everquest became one of the main folk over at Blizzard designing WoW to compete with EQ.

zsmith22

Jun 15, 2013
What do you guys think about Google Stadia?
If they pull it off and games run smooth it’s a game changer. Very reasonable price point for the controller if you choose to be onboard prior to launch at $129. $9.99 a month for the service isn’t to shabby either.

malaise

Jan 24, 2012
Atchomamahouse
What do you guys think about Google Stadia?
i was just coming to ask about this thing.

so it's like chromecast but for the vidya games? who do you play on it? just people that have stadia right?

is that destiny game any good? i think i might would buy it if it game with a game i knew i would like like borderlands?

i haven't played video games in at least 5 years but used to play the **** out of some fps' and fifa and stuff

zsmith22

Jun 15, 2013

so it's like chromecast but for the vidya games? who do you play on it? just people that have stadia right?

is that destiny game any good? i think i might would buy it if it game with a game i knew i would like like borderlands?

i haven't played video games in at least 5 years but used to play the **** out of some fps' and fifa and stuff
Ubisoft announced they have a line of games on it that will be available at launch as well.

Planohorn

Member Who Talks
Oct 22, 2013
Everquest on Project 1999 Emulator Server. Some good ole nostalgia from the first massively popular MMORPG that opened the gates for WoW. My guild leader from the original Everquest became one of the main folk over at Blizzard designing WoW to compete with EQ.
I’m in the vid game biz and my company sold every stick of EQ that was sold at retail. Slot machine until WOW came along. You could have purchased Blizzard for what seemed like a ridiculous price at the time but it would have turned out really great.

mookieblaylocke

Member Who Talks
Sep 17, 2016
Austin

Dang. Just found this thread. Keep accidently clicking on the politics board.

Destiny in it's early days was perfectly summed up a busy as "Borderlands but not funny. Or fun."

It's come a long ways though. Some great communities around the game and tons to do now in D2. They've also added in ways to close the gap pretty quick to get to newer content. Down side is it is a "game as service" so it isn't cheap. They are making the base game F2P soon and it'll be interesting to see how they move forward as an independent.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
So it's national video game day today, apparently, and it has me pondering. With all the movies and TV series and Netflixes and wrestling I watch, not to mention the tedious responsibilities of being an adult human, I've been neglecting gaming. Think it's past time I got back to my roots.