What are you watching?

texvet16

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 15, 2017
Do you need to start with Narcos and then move on to Narcos: Mexico?
Seasons 1 and 2 involve Pablo escobar

Season 3 involves the cali cartel ( my favorite season)

Season 4 involves felix gallardo and the guadalajara cartel

You don't have to watch them in any particular order except for season 1 and season 2. Although the series does follow a certain timeline, for example in season 3 the cali cartel take over after the fall of Pablo escobar. Me personally , I would watch them in order but it's not completely necessary. Before I decided to give narcos a watch my concern was I had seen every damn documentary about Pablo escobar and I was almost certain I would be bored watching the same details and historical facts I've seen time and time again but I was pleasantly surprised once I started watching. The guy who plays Pablo escobar is an amazing actor and I found myself torn at times feeling sorry for that psychopath .

I love that the producers and directors pay attention to key details about each drug king pin and their subordinates. They take some "artistic" liberties that you would expect but for the most part they maintain true historical integrity . I imagine season 5 or 6 will involve El chapo.

Reactions: Turnbo828

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Just started watching losers on Netflix. It's a compilation of sports figures and professional teams who have had to deal with being defeated or notorious for losing . Really good documentary and so far doesn't have high profile stories that you would expect to see. My favorite so far was the documentary on French skater surya bonaly , really touching.

Last edited:

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Word. Word. Thursday at seven for me. I just hope no one is swayed by that intentionally tank the RT score masculine bull**** stunt.
I didn't read any of them. The Barstool Podcast warned me a couple weeks ago about it, so I've stayed away. They saw it last night so they'll be reviewing this week, can't wait to see what they have to say.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Well, the showing had just got underway and there was a false alarm of some sort and everyone evacuated the theater. We're all back in now.

All this gives me a chance to say I don't know how I got past the standard Marvel intro which was modified to be a tribute to Stan Lee. Real tearjerker that was.

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Just finished , abducted in plain sight, on Netflix. One of the most bizarre , creepiest real life abduction documentaries I've ever seen. I got about 25 minutes into this documentary and I had to pause it so I could check to see it was a satirical spoof on an abduction. Nope , this actually happened... .

fdub206

Member Who Talks
Oct 29, 2008
kent, washington
Just finished , abducted in plain sight, on Netflix. One of the most bizarre , creepiest real life abduction documentaries I've ever seen. I got about 25 minutes into this documentary and I had to pause it so I could check to see it was a satirical spoof on an abduction. Nope , this actually happened... .
It was so bizarre.

Reactions: texvet16

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I finally got on the Peaky Blinders train.

It's every bit as good as advertised.

Cillian Murphy's Tommy Shelby is up there with Tony Soprano, Al Swearingen, Raylan Givens, Boyd Crowder, and Jax Teller in my pantheon of great TV series characters.

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
Anyone catch this "John and Yoko: Above Us Only Sky" doc on A&E? Fascinating. As a 41 year old, John represents an entire generation before me. Be that wrong or not.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I finally got on the Peaky Blinders train.

It's every bit as good as advertised.

Cillian Murphy's Tommy Shelby is up there with Tony Soprano, Al Swearingen, Raylan Givens, Boyd Crowder, and Jax Teller in my pantheon of great TV series characters.
I'll have to put it in my queue! BTW did you see that HBO is reviving Deadwood as a feature length film? Never watched the Son's of Anarchy, maybe I should.

Reactions: Turnbo828 and PFD

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
Started to watch HBO documentary Leaving Neverland about the victims of Michael Jackson. Stopped halfway through part one. Some very disturbing stuff.
Watched part 1 and 2 with the wife. I've obviously heard all the child pedo stuff about Jackson before, but I'd read some pretty convincing stuff to point to him being innocent. This documentary obviously completely changed my mind, and I believe both of the victims. I actually went into the doc not knowing it was going to be 95% about the accusations and thought it was just going to be about his life. Part One is extremely graphic and disturbing. Part 2 gets more into the accusations, trial, aftermath, etc and easier to watch.

Robert STRONG

Jan 12, 2015
Check out Pen15 on Hulu. Funniest show I've seen in a while. It's a junior high comedy where the two main girls are played by ~30 year olds. All other kids are played by child actors.

Reactions: idighorns

sacatomato horn

Member Who Talks
Sep 15, 2016
Billions: Episode 4 starts March 17th on Showtime 6 pm Pacific, right after the NCAA Tournament Selection show.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Anyone catch this "John and Yoko: Above Us Only Sky" doc on A&E? Fascinating. As a 41 year old, John represents an entire generation before me. Be that wrong or not.
I started it yesterday. So good! Love the footage to them recording "How do you sleep?". Can't wait to finish. Been DVR-ing a bunch of stuff like that off of AXStv. It's baby-boomer rocker TV which, as a 44year old, I can both appreciate and loathe depending on the subject.

Jonathan Wells

Dec 18, 2012
Arlington, TX
I recently finished watching the entire run of the Canadian sitcom Corner Gas for what I think was my third time. It originally aired from 2004 to 2009 for six seasons and 107 total episodes, and though some seasons are definitely stronger than others, it's one of the best-written and consistently funny TV comedies I've seen and holds up well on subsequent viewings.

My wife introduced me to it 8-9 years ago back when she was watching the series on Netflix with the actual DVDs mailed one at a time, though for some reason they only had the first four of the show's six seasons available, so it wasn't until some years later when we bought the entire series that I finally saw the last two seasons. It's one of our "comfort food" shows, so to speak, one we can put on any time we want something light and funny to watch and laugh at in the evening. This past December, Amazon Prime got the streaming rights to the show so all episodes are available there, and I highly recommend checking it out.

I wondered for years why no American network or streaming service was showing it already. It's distinctly Canadian and has a lot of Canadian cultural references and cameos by prominent Canadian celebs and politicians, but it's not like the characters are speaking a foreign language and it's usually easy to understand the gist of the references even if you're not familiar with exactly who you're seeing or what's being referenced, so I always thought it could get a nice American following if a service with US distribution rights actually showed it, which hadn't happened until very recently.

The setting is mostly in and around the titular gas station, Corner Gas, and adjoining cafe The Ruby in the fictional prairie town of Dog River, Saskatchewan, and in any given 22-minute episode there are usually 3 plots being juggled that often intersect. It's very Seinfeld-ian in its style of humor and plotting, though the setting couldn't be more different, and its episodes almost always feature brief cut-away fantasy scenes and flashbacks that might remind you of Scrubs or How I Met Your Mother (the latter of which premiered nearly two years after Corner Gas did). There's no laugh track, which seems normal now but which I'm sure was still a bit jarring when the series began in 2004.

I'll share a couple completely out-of-context examples from the show. In the clip below, which aired in early 2008, it does a kind of anti-humor take on "That's what she said!" (the American version of The Office was in the middle of its fourth season at that point and the line had become one of Michael Scott's calling cards). The clueless character in the scene is Hank, who is one of the great dimwit sitcom characters I've ever seen. He's got a lot of Woody from Cheers about him.

In this clip, which I think comes from a second season episode, a small sub-committee of town folk meet at The Ruby to discuss ideas for what "world's biggest" item Dog River can build to attract tourists, which other Saskatchewan cities and towns had done. One of the town's very un-hip elders presents an idea, and hilarity ensues.

Last edited:
Reactions: idighorns

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
This is. This is bizarre. No other word to describe it.

Reactions: dmatx and texvet16

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Started watching Amazon's "The Widow" with Kate Beckinsale. Pretty good, not compelling must watch, except that I like looking at Kate. Set around events in the Congo.

Reactions: texvet16

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Finished 'The Widow' with Kate Beckinsale ...it was Ok, not great. I can't imagine there will be a season 2, the ending of this one wrapped up everything and I don't see a plot line going forward.

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Just finished "love, death and robots " on Netflix. A collection of adult animated short stories , twenty all together ( around three hours total) . I'm not big into animation but I found this series to be quite entertaining and I hope they do a second season. They range from very well done to just meh. My favorites were lucky 13 , zima blue and Aguila Rift.

Reactions: TOK2000

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Started watching Amazon's "The Widow" with Kate Beckinsale. Pretty good, not compelling must watch, except that I like looking at Kate. Set around events in the Congo.
I watched the first episode and it failed to hook me but I really enjoy Kate Beckinsale and so I'll probably watch more later.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Now watching Last Kingdom. It's pretty interesting, I don't know how historically accurate it is but I suspect it's not too far off how things really were back then.

bHero

Jan 19, 2012
Keller
barkingcarnival.fantake.com
Just finished Legion on nextflix.

Aside from the lame sacrilegious story, the action was teeny boperish, and the best actor used to be a police officer on a live series sitcom who's best known for monologues. He dies. *spoiler*.

4/10

--++--

On a lighter note, the Bonnie and Clyde story with Kevin Costner and Woody Harreleson, The Highwaymen, was excellent.

8/10

Reactions: TexanBlood

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Just finished Legion on nextflix.

Aside from the lame sacrilegious story, the action was teeny boperish, and the best actor used to be a police officer on a live series sitcom who's best known for monologues. He dies. *spoiler*.

4/10

--++--

On a lighter note, the Bonnie and Clyde story with Kevin Costner and Woody Harreleson, The Highwaymen, was excellent.

8/10
Bro! I haaaaaaate Legion. Hate it. Prime example of a a creative guy (Hawley; Fargo) starting to buy too much into his own hype. That show evoked visceral feelings of hatred.

Reactions: bHero

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Bro! I haaaaaaate Legion. Hate it. Prime example of a a creative guy (Hawley; Fargo) starting to buy too much into his own hype. That show evoked visceral feelings of hatred.
Wait. Was he talking about the movie about the fallen angel or the show about the mutants? Because the movie wasn't that good. The show rocks though.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Wait. Was he talking about the movie about the fallen angel or the show about the mutants? Because the movie wasn't that good. The show rocks though.
Uh oh. We can’t be friends anymore.

But you’re right, he may’ve been talking about the movie.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
The music thread reminded me...

If you have even a passing interest in popular music, American culture in the 20th century, African-American issues or hot women...If any of those things are your jam...

I cannot recommend strongly enough Quincy on Netflix.

Documentary/biography on Quincy Jones as directed and curated by his daughter, the lovely Rashida Jones.

Careers/legacies simply don’t get any larger than his. Talk about a damned lion.

His hand was on the careers of two of the three biggest American stars there ever were. Films, television, politics. And those ladies.

When Quincy Jones dies, he’s taking one very large percentage of the 20th-Century American soul with him.

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Anyone start Season 3 of Man In The High Castle? Tried to watch the other night but I am going to have to go back and rewatch season 2.
I loved S1 and recommended it to many. I liked S2 but S3 is a bit of a slog and is impossible to watch while the kid is awake.

I use this thread for recs and @Halas was on point with Ozark. I like it but the wife isn’t too big on it. I’m somewhere in S2.

I’m also in the middle of Bosch S2 and it watches like a lot of books I read as a kid — simple entertainment. Funny, though, I haven’t read those books.

We just finished The Americans. I had a love/hate relationship with the show but the final season was strong and I felt the finale had some really good moments. I’m glad I re-started for the second time and finished it.

Despite what I wrote I don’t watch much TV. I go months without watching a show I pick up but now I’m looking for something the wife and I will enjoy on a gloomy, rainy day.

She was okay with Jack Ryan but Toad and Duke ruined that for me a few pages back.

Reactions: jdezz27

Eric Nahlin

Recruiting Editor
Staff member
Dec 19, 2011
Thoreau'd on Walden
Saw Outlaw King on Netflix. About Robert the Bruce, who was...

... this guy in Braveheart, fighting against the English. So something of a spiritual sequel to Braveheart (alert @Eric Nahlin) I guess you could say. Chris Pine in a kind of meandering accent is in the lead role.

It's not the greatest thing ever. Certainly no Braveheart. The pacing is a little wonky. We go from an extended intro on fealty to hating the English in the blink of an eye. There's also some really unfortunate unintentional comedy (Robert's father's death scene is hard to get through with a straight face).

It borrows a lot from Braveheart and hits some of the same notes. The final battle starts with a very similar gambit to one in Braveheart. Robert also has a loveable lunatic for a sidekick just like Wallace's Irishmam.

Worth a watch. The direction is pretty special, scenery is very nice, and production values are quite high.
I always felt the way to draft off of Braveheart is to focus on young William when he goes off with Argyle. There’s a lot there, namely him learning to spit game in French and Latin and how to wield a sword.

Reactions: PFD

Halas

Nov 5, 2012
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
I loved S1 and recommended it to many. I liked S2 but S3 is a bit of a slog and is impossible to watch while the kid is awake.

I use this thread for recs and @Halas was on point with Ozark. I like it but the wife isn’t too big on it. I’m somewhere in S2.

I’m also in the middle of Bosch S2 and it watches like a lot of books I read as a kid — simple entertainment. Funny, though, I haven’t read those books.

We just finished The Americans. I had a love/hate relationship with the show but the final season was strong and I felt the finale had some really good moments. I’m glad I re-started for the second time and finished it.

Despite what I wrote I don’t watch much TV. I go months without watching a show I pick up but now I’m looking for something the wife and I will enjoy on a gloomy, rainy day.

She was okay with Jack Ryan but Toad and Duke ruined that for me a few pages back.
I really like Ozark but, man....it got really dark at some points where with being a dad I questioned whether orbit to continue. I will continue but there were some hard things to watch in there.

Reactions: TexanBlood

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Ozark S2 has been on the back burner for way too long for me. I don't binge and I don't hop between too many series at the same time and that makes for quite a back log.

jdezz27

Aug 22, 2016
Houston

I loved S1 as well the entire concept was fascinating and as a history nerd, I was all in. Just kind of jumped the shark and since the last post I asked about it I have not watched one episode.

One Planet the new documentary which is pretty much Planet Earth is damn good. I can watch those all day it just amazes me how they get all this film all over the planet.