What are you watching?

TOK2000

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
May 3, 2010
Finished all 3 seasons of the Last Kingdom. It was really pretty good, followed the history of the time period fairly well and it seems like they captured the time period also very well. I learned somethings about English History and the Vikings (Danes) that I hadn't known before and got a better sense of how a unified England came about.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
There's a ton of **** going on in the world of entertainment this weekend, but a live reveal for James Bond's 25th movie was snuck in earlier today. Among various cast and shooting location announcements, it was revealed Rami Malek will be the villain.

eodhorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
Just watched “Absentia” . Was a pretty good show. Not sure how it could go beyond 1 season, but it was good in the context of a mini-series.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
There's a ton of **** going on in the world of entertainment this weekend, but a live reveal for James Bond's 25th movie was snuck in earlier today. Among various cast and shooting location announcements, it was revealed Rami Malek will be the villain.
I’d heard that rumor but didn’t know it was announced today.

Seems to me that Her Majesty’s Secret Agent going after the lead singer of Queen presents a real conflict of interest.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
upload_2019-4-25_19-53-8.jpeg

The Middle-Outsiders

Looks like everyone’s favorite Failing Forward Startup will be coming back for the 6th and likely final season of Silicon Valley. This fall.

Go crazy. #FreeErlich

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I’d heard that rumor but didn’t know it was announced today.

Seems to me that Her Majesty’s Secret Agent going after the lead singer of Queen presents a real conflict of interest.
I'd heard they were gonna announce the title and they did everything but that. But it's cool that Rami Malek is the villain. He's another in a long line of Bond antagonists that I appreciate for their craft but just weird me out. Think it's his face. Weirds me out, man.

Reactions: Texas Tailgater

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I'd heard they were gonna announce the title and they did everything but that. But it's cool that Rami Malek is the villain. He's another in a long line of Bond antagonists that I appreciate for their craft but just weird me out. Think it's his face. Weirds me out, man.
If you haven’t been riding the Mr. Robot roller coaster, you’ve been seriously missing out.

Rami will always be Elliott Alderson. Always.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
If you haven’t been riding the Mr. Robot roller coaster, you’ve been seriously missing out.

Rami will always be Elliott Alderson. Always.
For me, Rami Malek will always be the guy weirding out Timmy from Jurassic Park in The Pacific, a television event that predates Mister Roboto. And everything about Jurassic Park is awesome, which makes Timmy from Jurassic Park awesome, which makes Rami and his weird face weird.

Look, don't worry. James Bond will put him in his place. It's cool.

Reactions: Turnbo828 and PFD

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
For me, Rami Malek will always be the guy weirding out Timmy from Jurassic Park in The Pacific, a television event that predates Mister Roboto. And everything about Jurassic Park is awesome, which makes Timmy from Jurassic Park awesome, which makes Rami and his weird face weird.
Agreed.

"Sledge Hammer"

Reactions: MikeHdez12

J Galt

Feb 9, 2012
Dallas
ooooh, ana de armas as the female lead. i like her.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Watching the first episode now. They really had no idea what they were dealing with. 1986 was a whole nother world.
I think some of them had some idea, but they were so adamant about denying it that it exacerbated the problem. At least that's the message I gathered from the first episode.

That was an incredible hour of TV. I find it a little off-putting that they're all speaking in their straight English accents. They're out there throwing out Vasilys and Arkadys in their proper British manner. Kinda funny.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Going to see Hamilton on Thursday. Been a long time since I've been to... THE THEATRE... (You have to say it dramatically, thee-TRAH) but I am very excited because I've heard just about everything one can about this production while knowing nothing about it.

Reactions: Boogieman

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Going to see Hamilton on Thursday. Been a long time since I've been to... THE THEATRE... (You have to say it dramatically, thee-TRAH) but I am very excited because I've heard just about everything one can about this production while knowing nothing about it.
true renaissance man you mikey, WWE encyclopedia, appletini connoisseur, and now a dabbler in the theater

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Please dress appropriately, my friend. Last show I went to, saw multiple people in shorts. Don't get me wrong, I'm the big guy who wears shorts 90% of the year, but time and place gentlemen!

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Please dress appropriately, my friend. Last show I went to, saw multiple people in shorts. Don't get me wrong, I'm the big guy who wears shorts 90% of the year, but time and place gentlemen!
Not to worry, my suit is ready to rock. I don't know if you saw in the alcoholics thread, but I'm an intellectual now so I must appear as such at all times.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
My Twitter length review:

Alexander Hamilton a damn ho!

rodofdisaster

Nov 27, 2016
Northeast USA
Finished all 3 seasons of the Last Kingdom. It was really pretty good, followed the history of the time period fairly well and it seems like they captured the time period also very well. I learned somethings about English History and the Vikings (Danes) that I hadn't known before and got a better sense of how a unified England came about.
+1 LOVED this show. Some minor quibbles but overall very well done.

Gonna check out Chernobyl on hbo when I get home.
This is fantastic. Tom Nichols, who has a background in Soviet affairs was remarking on Twitter how much they've gotten the little details right.

Watching the first episode now. They really had no idea what they were dealing with. 1986 was a whole nother world.
Yeah, they could have made Eastern Europe and the Bosphorus uninhabitable. I remember following this story as a teenager. Just damned unbelievable what the Soviets would do to avoid admitting an accident.

Insanely good show. It's a show I will gladly see again many times.

I have also recently been watching:

1. Knightfall. It's a History Channel show about the Knights Templar in the late 1200s France. It is two seasons in. Not sure if it will get a third.

2. Barry - HBO. I find this dark comedy very entertaining. Second season was a little slower than I would have liked but generally entertaining.

3. Counterpart. Starz. Canceled after two seasons but rumors are they're shopping to another network.

Last edited:

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Anybody watch Fleabag or Dead To Me? I read a review of Fleabag Season 2 that was over the top in praise. Dead to me plot seems like it would be good, both of them have short episodes so should be easy to binge.

Reactions: malaise

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Anybody watch Fleabag or Dead To Me? I read a review of Fleabag Season 2 that was over the top in praise. Dead to me plot seems like it would be good, both of them have short episodes so should be easy to binge.
I binged “Dead to Me” last weekend, it was okay IMO. Very quick watch, a semi-funnier, but not as good ‘Big Little Lies.’

Reactions: TOK2000

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Chernobyl. It's allsome.
Was about to post about chernobyl, damn it's good! Hard to believe how ignorant everyone involved were about the perils of a nuclear power plant. I couldn't believe they let the wife of the fireman just hang out with him like he was in the hospital for the flu. The kgb's secret police were damn scary, creepy. So glad we don't live under a government where anything you say could land you in the gulag.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I binged “Dead to Me” last weekend, it was okay IMO. Very quick watch, a semi-funnier, but not as good ‘Big Little Lies.’
I'm 6 episodes into Dead to Me, your appraisal is spot on. It's OK, I'll finish it out. But that's about it.

Reactions: rawb_stark