What are you watching?

Young Williams

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Jan 24, 2012
I loved S1 and recommended it to many. I liked S2 but S3 is a bit of a slog and is impossible to watch while the kid is awake.

I use this thread for recs and @Halas was on point with Ozark. I like it but the wife isn’t too big on it. I’m somewhere in S2.

I’m also in the middle of Bosch S2 and it watches like a lot of books I read as a kid — simple entertainment. Funny, though, I haven’t read those books.

We just finished The Americans. I had a love/hate relationship with the show but the final season was strong and I felt the finale had some really good moments. I’m glad I re-started for the second time and finished it.

Despite what I wrote I don’t watch much TV. I go months without watching a show I pick up but now I’m looking for something the wife and I will enjoy on a gloomy, rainy day.

She was okay with Jack Ryan but Toad and Duke ruined that for me a few pages back.
My uneducated guess is that you would dig Bodyguard.

Probably too intense for kid #1, but solid rainy day fare for you and wife #1.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
It picks up later on in the season, but the leading ladies make it easier to watch. Smokes IMO.
It got weird, and I didn't see the ending coming out that way. Christina Applegate does have one hot body for any age, and she's 47.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Got HBOnow so we could watch the last season of GoT and now moving on to other stuff before our subscription runs out in 3 weeks.

Chernobyl - Great but damn depressing. Haven't finished yet - gotta be in a certain mood to watch this.

Barry - Almost done w 2nd season. I know this show has probably been discussed on here but I'm not gonna wade back through pages trying to find it. Such a good show! Stayed up too late a couple of nights in a row watching it. Black comedy done really well.

Next up if we can squeeze it in - finish season 2 West World, Michael Jackson doc, Ali doc.

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
Got HBOnow so we could watch the last season of GoT and now moving on to other stuff before our subscription runs out in 3 weeks.

Chernobyl - Great but damn depressing. Haven't finished yet - gotta be in a certain mood to watch this.

Barry - Almost done w 2nd season. I know this show has probably been discussed on here but I'm not gonna wade back through pages trying to find it. Such a good show! Stayed up too late a couple of nights in a row watching it. Black comedy done really well.

Next up if we can squeeze it in - finish season 2 West World, Michael Jackson doc, Ali doc.
I don’t get Barry. My coworker raved about it. I find it boring.

rodofdisaster

Nov 27, 2016
Northeast USA
I have to admit one guilty pleasure: I have watched all seven seasons of "Arrow" based on the DC Comics character of the Green Arrow.

It's been harder to watch after season 4 but I have to admit I've loved it overall. The female lead (Emily Bett Rickards) was written off the show after seven seasons and in the early days of the show she was simply phenomenal. All choked up as this seemed like a "series finale" rather than a "season finale". They're doing one more short season but she won't be in it and I am wondering how it will hold up without such a strong major character.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Look, malaise and toad are trying to get me into DAZN and it hasn't worked. I'm def not gonna get on the YouTube deal. I'm fighting the revolution. Streaming is for suckers!
That's fine, I guess. But you're missing your new favorite show.

You're right, though. Streaming is for suckers. Also for suckers: Cell phones, social media, computers, electricity, antibiotics, the wheel.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
I don’t get Barry. My coworker raved about it. I find it boring.
Depending on how far you've gotten, give yourself some time to get invested in the characters and some of the absurdity. Don't know if you seen Schitt's Creek but it took me 3-4 times to finish the first episode but after I got into a couple more episodes, I was hooked. That said, don't waste too much time on something you're not into.

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
Depending on how far you've gotten, give yourself some time to get invested in the characters and some of the absurdity. Don't know if you seen Schitt's Creek but it took me 3-4 times to finish the first episode but after I got into a couple more episodes, I was hooked. That said, don't waste too much time on something you're not into.
I watched the first season and I think the first two of season 2 before giving up. Couldn’t figure out if it was supposed to be comedy or purposefully bad acting or what.

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
For those that like sports docs I highly recommend Momentum Generation on HBO. It’s surfing doc which know little about but a really interesting story.

Reactions: dmatx

clark griswold

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2016
Wally World
Fair enough.
I’m like you subscribed for GoT just watching what I can before my sub cancels.

Still finishing my rewatch of Deadwood before the movie. Hope to finish up before the weekend so I can watch the movie.

I just watched the episode where Dougherty and Captain Turner fight and the Captain gets his eye ball squeezed out.

Damn, that scrap was better than Clegane bowl.

Reactions: Bull Horn and dmatx

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I watched the first season and I think the first two of season 2 before giving up. Couldn’t figure out if it was supposed to be comedy or purposefully bad acting or what.
I'm not gonna waste your time trying to convince you to finish it out or anything but that's a unique take I haven't come across. Because there's a lot of music I love that I would struggle to confine to a genre or like Twin Peaks was massively popular and it was a weird, genre bending deal. Some would say that's part of the appeal.

I'd say Barry is a dark comedy if I had to label it anything, btw.

Reactions: clark griswold

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Started Good Omens on amazon last night. It's very true to its source material. Only watched 2 episodes but pretty good. Recommended if you're into Hitchhiker's Guide, British nerdy humor, etc.

Reactions: eodhorn

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Anyone watching season 2 of "The Son"? It's pretty much garbage, but I can quit it.
I'm watching it and it's not great but like you I can't quit. Eli is a total SOB, Pete is milktoast and Phineas is a gay Eli. Not sure where it's all going with the Standard Oil deal and Maria Garcia. The future clips with the old Jeannie McCollough are interesting, who is Ulises and how did he get Pete's gun. It was just the last episode that I made the connection between Ingrid, Praire Flowers slave, and the woman he would visit when he was in Austin.

I'm also now watching Big Little Lies...and I like it. Nicole Kidman has nice breasts!

Reactions: PearlandHorn

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
I'm watching it and it's not great but like you I can't quit. Eli is a total SOB, Pete is milktoast and Phineas is a gay Eli. Not sure where it's all going with the Standard Oil deal and Maria Garcia. The future clips with the old Jeannie McCollough are interesting, who is Ulises and how did he get Pete's gun. It was just the last episode that I made the connection between Ingrid, Praire Flowers slave, and the woman he would visit when he was in Austin.

I'm also now watching Big Little Lies...and I like it. Nicole Kidman has nice breasts!
Ulises has to be Pete and Maria's great grandkid, right?

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Ulises has to be Pete and Maria's great grandkid, right?
Maybe so but it would seem odd that Jeannie wouldn't know about her fathers new family if he left Sally for Maria. I would assume that will be cleared up in future episodes, but looking at the cast listing Ulises only has 3 episodes so he can't be a big deal, and what would he be after by hiring on with the McCulloughs?

Reactions: PearlandHorn

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I don't watch Queen of the South, but the queen of the south is really, really, really hot.

I have watched it and she is hot, the series is petty violent to say the least. It's all about the drug trade and the cartell's.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Finished Big Little Lies. I really like it once I got going on it, and the season ending was terrific IMHO. Get to see more of Nicole Kidman's breasts as well! :)

Reactions: rawb_stark

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Chernobyl just wrapped up this Monday and it was a magnificent and terrifying masterpiece.

But apparently Russia doesn't think so...

https://news.avclub.com/russia-hates-hbos-chernobyl-vows-to-make-its-own-serie-1835298424?amp-sw5dsGAAd3bWqxOiIW_cvhDzJAquLjPZBENvSfnW_Uh6ImHOnIHwG9k3-FTUYiSG

... so they're making their own version which isn't about the aftermath, but about an alleged American conspirator that they feel caused all of this.

Very ironic when you consider the final words of the HBO series.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I just read that Alamo Drafthouse is going to test a season pass idea wherein the customer pays $20 a month and can watch one movie a day. What do y'all think about this?

Personally, I love their commitment to a silent atmosphere and the little BMD commercials they do before each showings. I kinda like this idea. I watch a bunch of movies anyway and it would pay for itself in just a couple trips a month.

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
I just read that Alamo Drafthouse is going to test a season pass idea wherein the customer pays $20 a month and can watch one movie a day. What do y'all think about this?

Personally, I love their commitment to a silent atmosphere and the little BMD commercials they do before each showings. I kinda like this idea. I watch a bunch of movies anyway and it would pay for itself in just a couple trips a month.
I've been on the waiting list/notification list for months now. It would pay for itself after 2 movies except the fact that the wife and I drop 50-60 bucks on food and drink every time.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I've been on the waiting list/notification list for months now. It would pay for itself after 2 movies except the fact that the wife and I drop 50-60 bucks on food and drink every time.
Oh hell, I thought this was a new thing. I just heard of it, but maybe it got to Austin quicker than for SA?

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Yes it is. It is interesting, the whole concept of the Virtual World...but it takes a different twist.
I loved it. I won’t post any spoilers, but that was a great episode IMO. A lot of questions in regards to VR and overall tech advances.

The Miley one is great too!

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
they can get away with this because their margins on F&B are so much higher than your average megaplex.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I loved it. I won’t post any spoilers, but that was a great episode IMO. A lot of questions in regards to VR and overall tech advances.

The Miley one is great too!
. I
Yeah I was watching the Miley Cyrus one and it took me awhile to figure out why Ashley O looked familiar. I see that she now has an Ashley O persona on her Twitter account and is going to release that song that she finished the episode.

OK so my problem with that whole thing was those guys getting into it, and yet their actual bodies showed nothing I would think that they would have had a boner on their real bodies and a splat on their pants when they finished in VR Not to mention I don't buy that those guys would have suddenly been enabled to be gay because one of them chose to be a female character.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Watched first 4 episodes of Chernobyl, fascinating. I'm not sure what it says about me that the hardest thing to watch was them shooting dogs.

Reactions: slowride101

texvet16

Jan 15, 2017
Saw "I am mother" on Netflix, not too bad at all. 6.5 out of 10

Last edited:
Reactions: TOK2000