What are you watching?

MikeHdez12

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Watched first 4 episodes of Chernobyl, fascinating. I'm not sure what it says about me that the hardest thing to watch was them shooting dogs.
It probably says that you're a regular person. That was brutal especially after the soldier said all you have to do is call them and they come up to you because they think it's their masters coming back.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
Binged 'The Chef Show' yesterday and it's pretty great. Jon Favreau is so talented. Aaron Franklin gets a solid S/O in the final two episodes as well.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
With the final season of Game of Thrones and Avengers:Endgame in the rearview mirror, #RewatchSZN has come and gone. That leaves behind a a whole bunch of time, but for what? Well, there's no shortage of options, to be sure.

I was in the middle of a couple things before the summer season started and I had to reacquaint myself with the aforementioned entities. I finally got around to finishing the last season of Adventure Time, which was a melancholy experience, the finale itself a moving, tear-jerker of an affair. I was kind of procrastinating on it because I wasn't quite ready to bid farewell to something that had provided so many years of entertainment spanning back to my simple, fresh-out-of-college years. Turns out it wasn't about the adventures we had, but about the friends we made along the way. I also finally got around to a Netflix series I had started last Halloween, The Haunting of Hill House. This started out a little languid because the family that makes up the main characters each gets their own focused episode. However, once we start to explore the spiritual and horror elements and leave behind the slightly overdone family drama, this show really starts firing. The acting, the directing (there's an incredible long take episode in a funeral home), the score, the resolution of the time jump arcs, and some of the most perfectly done jump scares I've ever seen all make this show an emotionally rewarding watch. Highly recommend and this will be an anthology series so I can't wait for the next season.

Of things that happened a little more recently, you have to watch Barry, of course. Here is a dark comedy that can get both pitch black and side-splittingly funny. There's Chernobyl, which I'm thinking could very well receive the best series award for the year, if such a thing existed. I was always a huge fan of game shows growing up and ABC is bringing back their "Fun and Games" lineup for the summer. So you can catch reboots of classics like Press Your Luck, Card Sharks (which I'm enjoying right now as I type and there's an absolute smoke show lady contestant), Match Game, $100,000 Pyramid among others. Black Mirror's new season dropped somewhat quietly with a short, three episode burst.

And on deck? Well, I'm sure it's gonna be hot as **** this summer so good thing there's a solid mix of new seasons and promising debuting fare to keep us indoors. Some of these are actually starting pretty soon or have already begun. Archer, Legion, Yellowstone, Baskets, Watchmen, Silicon Valley, The Righteous Gemstones, His Dark Materials all coming down the chute and I somehow plan to watch them all. Really a daunting undertaking when the list is all spelled out like that, not to mention all the time I'll be spending at the movie theater, but such is life in the age of prestige television.

Reactions: Young Williams

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
The wife and I are catching up on the third season of Better Things on FX. It's a really sweet but cringe-inducing show.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Started Season 2 of Big Little Lies...Meryl Streep has got an interesting character she is playing.

The Son is tying things up, we now know for sure that Ulises is Maria Garcia's grandson, not clear how he got Pete McCulloughs gun. I guess the final episode will detail how Jeanne got the Control of McCullough Oil and how they didn't end up being taken over by Standard Oil.

Bull Horn

Member Who Talks
Aug 10, 2013
Just finished up Justified - great show. It’s not quite at the same level for me as my all time favorites (Breaking Bad, The Sopranos) but it’s one that I may “miss” more than those because of how involved you get/fond of the characters.

Reactions: PFD

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Just finished up Justified - great show. It’s not quite at the same level for me as my all time favorites (Breaking Bad, The Sopranos) but it’s one that I may “miss” more than those because of how involved you get/fond of the characters.
Wow! Good on you, man! Never too late.

Here is a super geeky tweet I composed right before the series finale:

This was appointment television for me when it ran. For my money, Boyd Crowder is an all time villain. So sinister, yet so eloquent. So evil, but so cool.

Oh, and my car's name? Mags Bennett.

Reactions: PFD and Bull Horn

Bull Horn

Member Who Talks
Aug 10, 2013
Wow! Good on you, man! Never too late.

Here is a super geeky tweet I composed right before the series finale:

This was appointment television for me when it ran. For my money, Boyd Crowder is an all time villain. So sinister, yet so eloquent. So evil, but so cool.

Oh, and my car's name? Mags Bennett.
Boyd is an all time favorite character for me and truly made the show what it was - great storytelling centered around his relationship with Raylan. The ancillary characters were played so well too - from Art to Tim to Constable Bob and others. Just great all around.

And hope ol’ Mags runs well for you (Margo Martindale was nails in that role).

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
OK The Son is done....it tied up most things pretty neatly. It didn't fill in the story of how young Eli transformed from Comanche to Millionaire. That might be a good story.
So I did think the ending where Jeannie suckers Uliysis into thinking she's a kind old lady who has seen the light in that last meeting in the jail shows that she is as evil and cutthroat as old Eli

Reactions: PearlandHorn

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Started rewatching 30 Rock and it never gets old. A little dated now and then but so good. There's constant little jokes that I missed or forgot about.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I really liked Justified, and I watched Deadwood this weekend and I had forgotten that Raylan was the Sheriff, same deadly shot and demeanor as well. Boyd was sort of a likeable villian though don't you think?

Reactions: PFD and Bull Horn

Bull Horn

Member Who Talks
Aug 10, 2013
I really liked Justified, and I watched Deadwood this weekend and I had forgotten that Raylan was the Sheriff, same deadly shot and demeanor as well. Boyd was sort of a likeable villian though don't you think?
Big fan of Deadwood too - glad we finally got the finale with the Deadwood movie. And yes Boyd was one of the all time great likable villains in screen history in my opinion.

mookieblaylocke

Member Who Talks
Sep 17, 2016
Austin
Just got started on "Man in the High Castle."

Has serious pacing issues and it's tough to connect with some of the main characters.

And the sound mix is completely ******.

But I like the hook. I'll stick with it for a bit.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Big fan of Deadwood too - glad we finally got the finale with the Deadwood movie. And yes Boyd was one of the all time great likable villains in screen history in my opinion.
I finally got around to watching the Deadwood movie tonight. It was great.

I had forgotten how artfully written the dialogue was. You really have to listen just to understand them sometimes. But, damn, it’s worth the effort.

Swearingen: “Did you ever think, Bullock, of not going straight at a thing ?”

Bullock: [hesitates for a moment] “No.”

Reactions: Bull Horn

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I just read that Alamo Drafthouse is going to test a season pass idea wherein the customer pays $20 a month and can watch one movie a day. What do y'all think about this?

Personally, I love their commitment to a silent atmosphere and the little BMD commercials they do before each showings. I kinda like this idea. I watch a bunch of movies anyway and it would pay for itself in just a couple trips a month.
And opening a new, posh La Cantera location. Pants-tent.

mcb0703!

Feb 6, 2015
Chernobyl just wrapped up this Monday and it was a magnificent and terrifying masterpiece.

But apparently Russia doesn't think so...

https://news.avclub.com/russia-hates-hbos-chernobyl-vows-to-make-its-own-serie-1835298424?amp-sw5dsGAAd3bWqxOiIW_cvhDzJAquLjPZBENvSfnW_Uh6ImHOnIHwG9k3-FTUYiSG

... so they're making their own version which isn't about the aftermath, but about an alleged American conspirator that they feel caused all of this.

Very ironic when you consider the final words of the HBO series.
Chernobyl series on HBO is just tremendous; cannot recommend it enough

Reactions: windycityhorn

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Three episodes into What We Do In the Shadows. I really liked the movie and was cautiously optimistic about making it into a TV show. So far so good. Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi are involved (producing, writing, directing) which bodes well for the show. Fake documentary as a TV style still seems to work pretty well (shockingly.)

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I got suckered into watching Sabrina on Netflix, I don't think I can finish it. It's pretty lame IMHO.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I haven't had time to start Stranger Things yet, hopefully this weekend, but every entertainment news site I frequent has these "what does this mean for this character" or "why someone doing this is important". The season is barely a week old and I'm already on spoiler watch. Binge culture really blows.

rawb_stark

Dec 14, 2016
Dallas
I haven't had time to start Stranger Things yet, hopefully this weekend, but every entertainment news site I frequent has these "what does this mean for this character" or "why someone doing this is important". The season is barely a week old and I'm already on spoiler watch. Binge culture really blows.
I've wondered if once Netflix loses all their non NF original shows if they'll start doing weekly drops.

Jdhmills

Dec 27, 2011
Anyone watch TNTs Animal Kingdom? decent series. I feel like i scroll netflix and prime for 30 minutes each time I watch something and keep coming up empty.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Binge watching Stranger Things this weekend, one more episode to go. It's been very good IMHO.

Reactions: TexanBlood

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
Anyone still trying to watch Top Gear? Another partial new group of hosts. Matt LeBlanc is out just when he was gettinf tolerable. Guess I'll give it a shot.

dmatx

Sep 26, 2012
South Austin, TX
Anyone still trying to watch Top Gear? Another partial new group of hosts. Matt LeBlanc is out just when he was gettinf tolerable. Guess I'll give it a shot.
The old dudes have a show called the Grand Tour on Amazon. Watched some last night, actually. Basically, Top Gear by another name. They started it after Clarkson was fired from Top Gear for being a pain in the ass (and a huge jerk on occasion, apparently.)

idighorns

Feb 24, 2012
ATX - '45
Finished Stranger Things 3. I give it a 2 thumbs up. I see there will definitely be a season 4. Post credits scenes set it up.
It was the best season for sure. Great new characters, expanded roles for some others, and some serious consequences. Plus that Never Ending story scene...

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
Yellowstone... I think they have jumped the Shark with the relationship between Beth and Jamie

• Sad