What should a centrist do in today’s political climate?

Shane3

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Feb 17, 2015

Democrats have moved ‘too far to the left,’ says BET network founder Bob Johnson

• America’s political establishment is riven with partisanship that has become “very wicked and very mean,” said entrepreneur and media mogul Robert Johnson
  • Johnson describes himself as a long-time centrist and Democrat
  • He supported Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election but has since praised Trump

TEXBTP

Oct 29, 2008
Move to the left to secure a nomination, shimmy to the middle in the general, then preside as president of the United States not just leader of a party.

John Glen was popular in 84 but because he went straight to the middle during the primary he got clobbered by Mondale and Hart.

eodhorn

Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
I stopped reading after "find a large-breasted female" ...
I prefer all of that except the large breasted. I am a fan of the athletic B-cup perky types. The military has a lot of them. My wife was one, except she was liberal. 15 years of I told you so’s has her probably more conservative than me.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I’m not even sure Centrists really exist. Most of the self described centrists I’ve ever met seem pretty liberal to me.
But isn’t that because you yourself are pretty conservative? Anyone less so would seem liberal.

kennoisewater

Member Who Talks
Nov 19, 2018
But isn’t that because you yourself are pretty conservative? Anyone less so would seem liberal.
I’ll put it this way. I’ve never heard a centrist lay out their political opinions and then thought, “No, he’s a really a conservative.” And I’ve also never heard someone say, “I’m a centrist but I’m voting for the Republican.”

sonofaplum

Member Who Talks
Nov 20, 2016
Well, it depends on why you identify as a centrist. Some people identify as centrists because they split along issues on non standard lines. For instance, they may be for lower taxes but be pro choice. Then you have to prioritize which issues are most important to you. Some people identify as centrists because they can't make up their minds to take a stand on anything and just end up in the middle of any given issues because they are weak of character. These people should grow a pair.

Reactions: Horns05 and eodhorn

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I’ll put it this way. I’ve never heard a centrist lay out their political opinions and then thought, “No, he’s a really a conservative.” And I’ve also never heard someone say, “I’m a centrist but I’m voting for the Republican.”
What views to you would be “centrist”?

eodhorn

Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
What views to you would be “centrist”?
I’ll give my opinion:

Pro-choice with limits. No late term abortion unless risking the life of the mother. Only taxpayer funded in cases of rape/incest

Social Programs designed to assist people in making their own way, not as a generational way of life. Temporary Welfare = Good, Welfare as a lifestyle = bad.

Coming up with common sense legislation to close asylum loopholes in immigration process. Open new avenues and an easier path to citizenship.

Want enforcement of existing laws with regards to gun control. Criminals don’t obey laws, so adding laws is asinine. It’s the background checks that truly have the best chance of prevention, but they seem to be done half assed. Understand that gun free zones are habitually targeted by mass shooters. Soft targets are a bad thing. If unwilling to allow carry in these areas, then provide armed protection. Look at the UK as an example that bad people will use whatever means they need to achieve their goal.

That’s a few middle grounds from my perspective.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
I’ll give my opinion:

Pro-choice with limits. No late term abortion unless risking the life of the mother. Only taxpayer funded in cases of rape/incest

Social Programs designed to assist people in making their own way, not as a generational way of life. Temporary Welfare = Good, Welfare as a lifestyle = bad.

Coming up with common sense legislation to close asylum loopholes in immigration process. Open new avenues and an easier path to citizenship.

Want enforcement of existing laws with regards to gun control. Criminals don’t obey laws, so adding laws is asinine. It’s the background checks that truly have the best chance of prevention, but they seem to be done half assed. Understand that gun free zones are habitually targeted by mass shooters. Soft targets are a bad thing. If unwilling to allow carry in these areas, then provide armed protection. Look at the UK as an example that bad people will use whatever means they need to achieve their goal.

Except for being a bit more liberal on guns, I am right with you.

At least for me, I want us to pay the bills, rather than increase spending, cut taxes, or any of the other goodies that either side wants us to do.

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
Except for being a bit more liberal on guns, I am right with you.

At least for me, I want us to pay the bills, rather than increase spending, cut taxes, or any of the other goodies that either side wants us to do.
So you say but you don't vote that way. Cornyn is lot closer to those views than Beto will ever think about being.

scott_tiger

Aug 11, 2012
I’ll give my opinion:

Sounds like the Clinton administration. Just not as rapey

JG

Oct 29, 2008
So you say but you don't vote that way. Cornyn is lot closer to those views than Beto will ever think about being.
Cronyn is not. He voted for the tax cuts, which are blowing up the deficit. He is totally pro life.

PS I am highly disappointed in Beto the presidential candidate.

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
Cronyn is not. He voted for the tax cuts, which are blowing up the deficit. He is totally pro life.

PS I am highly disappointed in Beto the presidential candidate.

and he's still closer to your stated position than Beto. BTW you misspelled Cornyn. Although your spelling is more apropos even if unintentional.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
and he's still closer to your stated position than Beto. BTW you misspelled Cornyn. Although your spelling is more apropos even if unintentional.
Just typing fast and autocorrect.

Neither of them is very close to me.

Cornyn wants to repeal Roe v Wade and take away people’s health care. No thank you.

futures2015

May 2, 2015
I prefer all of that except the large breasted. I am a fan of the athletic B-cup perky types. The military has a lot of them. My wife was one, except she was liberal. 15 years of I told you so’s has her probably more conservative than me.
To me, female breasts are like banana splits ... what's the point in arguing over which is the best?

Shane3

Feb 17, 2015

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
No one is stopping him from personally making restitution if he feels so guilty about one of his 32 great-great-great grandparents owning slaves.

Seriously, that's one thing about these assholes that really pisses me off. They want the American taxpayer to be forced to pay for all sorts of "Social Justice" stuff, but do what do they actually cough up voluntarily out of their own bank accounts?

"The O'Rourkes reported an adjusted gross income of $366,455 in 2017, the most recent year made available by the campaign, and gave only $1,166 to charity. The two years before, the couple gave even less: $857 in 2016 and $867 in 2015."

Where I come from we have a saying about putting your money where your mouth is. If he gave in proportion to the size of his mouth we'd be talking significant help for worthwhile charities,

$1,116 ****ing bucks to charity (0.3% of his AGI), and we wouldn't know if he hadn't written it off as a tax deduction. He says he gave lots more that he didn't bother to put on his tax return. Well then why did he bother to itemize any of it? You know it's not required that you do. If he gave a tithe of his income to charity (not saying church--whatever charity he felt was worthwhile) he'd have to give a hundred bucks a day to these charities to which didn't bother keeping records. But he did remember to itemize that $857 back in 2016, etc. Lying punk hypocrite. I despise hypocrites.

Last edited:

eodhorn

Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
No one is stopping him from personally making restitution if he feels so guilty about one of his 32 great-great-great grandparents owning slaves.

Seriously, that's one thing about these assholes that really pisses me off. They want the American taxpayer to be forced to pay for all sorts of "Social Justice" stuff, but do what do they actually cough up voluntarily out of their own bank accounts?

"The O'Rourkes reported an adjusted gross income of $366,455 in 2017, the most recent year made available by the campaign, and gave only $1,166 to charity. The two years before, the couple gave even less: $857 in 2016 and $867 in 2015."

Where I come from we have a saying about putting your money where your mouth is. If he gave in proportion to the size of his mouth we'd be talking significant help for worthwhile charities,

$1,116 ****ing bucks to charity (0.3% of his AGI), and we wouldn't know if he hadn't written it off as a tax deduction. He says he gave lots more that he didn't bother to put on his tax return. Well then why did he bother to itemize any of it? You know it's not required that you do. If he gave a tithe of his income to charity (not saying church--whatever charity he felt was worthwhile) he'd have to give a hundred bucks a day to these charities to which didn't bother keeping records. But he did remember to itemize that $857 back in 2016, etc. Lying punk hypocrite. I despise hypocrites.
I have given more to charity than him every year for the past 15 years. And that’s making less than 1/3 of what he makes.

padrehorn11

Oct 27, 2016
Texas
I have given more to charity than him every year for the past 15 years. And that’s making less than 1/3 of what he makes.
Well, I don't actually no either of you, though I've discussed a lot of things with you here, and with Beto I just have to go with what I've read in the public domain. But I'd say you were way, way, way more than three times a better person than he is. And that's the bottom line in my book.

eodhorn

Mar 24, 2018
Surprise, Arizona
Well, I don't actually no either of you, though I've discussed a lot of things with you here, and with Beto I just have to go with what I've read in the public domain. But I'd say you were way, way, way more than three times a better person than he is. And that's the bottom line in my book.
Thanks for the kind words. I have definitely enjoyed our discussions, and have learned a lot from you.

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
Thanks for the kind words. I have definitely enjoyed our discussions, and have learned a lot from you.
Get room! (Maybe share one with JG and SA)
I'll add what I think...You're both assholes. :)

Semper Fi