Whataburger sold

coolhorn

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Nov 11, 2013
Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here, and if mods wanna move it, they can put it elsewhere.

That moment a lot of us had heard might happen has come true. The most Texas of businesses, Whataburger, was sold this past Friday to a Chicago-based investment firm, Morgan Stanley. Whataburger is deeply ingrained in the Texas psyche, and the dietary habits of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Texans, yours truly included. We would NOT take kindly to Morgan Stanley changing a damned thing about our beloved Whataburger, which they say they aren't gonna do. We'll see. In the meantime, I hold the same attitude as Austin Tex-Mex eatery El Arroyo about the Whataburger sale, and Morgan Stanley had BETTER pay attention, or they'll have more pissed off Texans on their hands than they know what to do with.

Javelina

Jul 2, 2010
I lived six blocks from the original Whataburger on Ayers Street in Corpus Christi when I was a mere puppy. My father took the family there on opening day and we ate the burgers while sitting in our old, black Plymouth. We thought they were the best things we had ever thrown a lip over.

They have always been a Texas thing even when they expanded into other states. From a personal standpoint it is sad to see them bought out by an outfit from Chicago.

stevehorn

Oct 29, 2008
In the meantime, I hold the same attitude as Austin Tex-Mex eatery El Arroyo about the Whataburger sale, and Morgan Stanley had BETTER pay attention, or they'll have more pissed off Texans on their hands than they know what to do with.

View attachment 42359
There's an El Arroyo on South Cooper in Arlington and I've probably almost caused a wreck a time or two reacting to their sign. Their dry wit is exceptional.

• Haha
Reactions: coolhorn

DHolcroftIV

Jan 27, 2012
Austin, Texas
True story. My old man went to his grave claiming "invention" of the Whataburger Double Double. He was at the original stand daily on his way to tennis practice at UCLA (The University of Corpus Left on Ayers aka DelMar College) in 1963. He would order that special because it wasn't on the menu and eat half before practice and half after. That's also where he happened to be when he heard JFK had been assassinated. Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic those yankees won't **** it up.

OneRiot

Dec 25, 2011
Boerne, TX
Not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here, and if mods wanna move it, they can put it elsewhere.

That moment a lot of us had heard might happen has come true. The most Texas of businesses, Whataburger, was sold this past Friday to a Chicago-based investment firm, Morgan Stanley. Whataburger is deeply ingrained in the Texas psyche, and the dietary habits of hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Texans, yours truly included. We would NOT take kindly to Morgan Stanley changing a damned thing about our beloved Whataburger, which they say they aren't gonna do. We'll see. In the meantime, I hold the same attitude as Austin Tex-Mex eatery El Arroyo about the Whataburger sale, and Morgan Stanley had BETTER pay attention, or they'll have more pissed off Texans on their hands than they know what to do with.

View attachment 42359
Minor correction... BDT Capital Partners will be the new majority owner.

Reactions: coolhorn