Who won Week 7 in the Big 12?

Ian Boyd

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Because of the Oklahoma State and Iowa State contest, this was one of our biggest weeks yet within the 2020 Big 12. The other games proved less consequential than they might have appeared in the preseason. Texas is floundering but they could still beat a Baylor team who’d missed multiple practices and starting offensive linemen to COVID, mostly just by playing decent defense.

Oklahoma kicked off their inevitable post-RRS surge by pounding hapless TCU. We’ll talk more about them later on. Jalon Daniels got more action for Kansas finally, he’s definitely their best quarterback by a safe margin even though he has a number of things to work on, but the Wildcats obliterated their pseudo-rival. Punt returner Phillip Brooks had two touchdown returns. This team is picking up more than marginal advantages on a weekly basis with their special teams play, Chris Klieman has quickly retooled the Wildcats into an even more deadly version of a classic Snyder team.

Speaking of Snyder-ball, Darren Sproles JR (Deuce Vaughn) had 11 carries for 71 yards and a score and then four catches for 81 yards. He’s sitting at 319 rushing yards and 360 passing yards on the year through five games and has a case for being the best skill player in the conference. I’ll let that marinate for a moment, I’m sure a lot of eyebrows furrowed at such a take.

The Iowa State and Oklahoma State game was obviously the big one. It was the first major test of Oklahoma State and the first game back for Spencer Sanders. They basically aced the test and if they can stay healthy, now have a strong case as the best team in the league.

Let’s dive deeper into some of the interesting results from the weekend...

The curious case of Charlie Brewer

Larry Fedora and Jorge Munoz did a fantastic job of further tweaking the Baylor offense to give Charlie Brewer targets that are right in front of him and within the very limited range of his throwing. Throwing for six yards per attempt, as he did against Texas, sounds pretty weak until you recall the man can only throw the ball about 16 yards.

Normally a quarterback, or any player, will get a bit stronger, faster, and more mechanically sound after a few years in college. Brewer is aging backwards, like Benjamin Button, at least in terms of his velocity. His quickness looked a little more on point after three weeks off. My biggest concern for him this season was he’d be highly concussion prone after all the shots to the head he took last season, but that hasn’t been an issue yet from what I can tell through three games.

But the arm strength he lost during the 2019 season has never returned.

I remember distinctly the progression of events during the season. Brewer was taking shots early and I wrote multiple times I had doubts about his ability to stay healthy all year with his overly aggressive style. Then they blew the doors off Oklahoma State and I paused to note if he did stay healthy, they could potentially win the Big 12.

What followed was a game against West Virginia in which he was sacked a gazillion times and then a game against TCU where the line was, in my estimation, extraordinarily generous to the Frogs. “What in the world? TCU can’t hang with this team!” TCU did hang with Baylor and take them to overtime...because all of a sudden Brewer was struggling to hit anything remotely down the field.

It’s only gotten worse since and the COVID offseason didn’t resolve the issue.

The next question is, “why is this guy even playing? Can Baylor not do better?”

Impossible to say, but maybe not? Here’s what Brewer can still do at a high level:

Does he have to throw almost exclusively into the boundary? Yes. Is another team on the schedule going to pack the boundary and play cover zero into the field and completely choke the life from this offense? Yes.

But these sorts of route adjustments and accuracy aren’t easy and I wonder if Gerry Bohanon and Jacob Zeno can do this or if the Baylor offense would have to evolve significantly to be more quarterback run and play-action oriented for those two.

Overall, I maintain Baylor continues to be a program on the rise. It’s amazing they’ve even been as effective as they have been given Brewer’s physical limitations right now and the lack of practices they’ve been able to get in due to COVID. Larry Fedora and Jorge Munoz are a good pairing and they both really know what they’re doing. When this team gets a new quarterback in or Charlie Brewer spends the offseason in Germany and comes back for a fifth year with a new rifle arm, you’re going to see some results.

Lincoln Riley burns down the Fort

Man, look at this…

OU is throwing the dreaded “mills” at TCU here and the Frogs cover it up effectively because they’re using the “flyover defense” model that allows them to bracket the post without giving away the dig route...and Riley just hits them with a shallow cross that turns out to be a leak down the field.

Naturally Patterson transitioned to the flyover defense after spotting the Sooners a 14 point lead or so, as has been his custom for the last few years. TCU is now 1-3 and it’d be 0-5 if Texas hadn’t fumbled reaching for the end zone on first and goal in Austin and if the Frogs had been healthy enough to play SMU.

2021 was always the target year for the Frogs. They have a lot of young talent like Quentin Johnson, Zach Evans and the other running backs, and Max Duggan on offense and the defensive line has yet to be rebuilt after losing Ben Banogu. All that said, this team has a lot of talent to be losing like this. This underachievement’s been a theme for the post-Boykin Horned Frogs.

TCU talent vs production.jpg

I’ve been arguing for a while now, with increasing conviction, that Gary Patterson has lost his fastball. It appears the end could be near for the top Frog. If he wants to coach the 2021 team I have trouble believing TCU will be able to stop him. If he’s willing to retire and go do TV but only if handing the reins to a hand-picked successor...could be interesting as well.

I’ll say this before moving on though, Gary Patterson’s plan at TCU has been to adopt the spread but primarily as a means of allowing his team to run the football and play defense. Sound familiar? It should, because that’s been Texas’ goal this last decade as well. It worked better for the Frogs than it did for the Longhorns, but both teams managed an awful lot of underachieving following that formula.

Tom Herman and Gary Patterson are a combined 1-9 against Lincoln Riley since he was made head coach.

Big daddy Gundy wins Week 7 in the Big 12

Bid daddy Gundy.jpg

Mike Gundy coached one heck of a game against Iowa State at home.

Ultimately, the Cowboys had a massive edge in the space force battle between the two teams. One detail I was missing going into the game, Tarique Milton was out with some sort of arm injury. Rather than playing Landen Akers more or going with the freshman Daniel Jackson, the Cyclones spent most of the game in 12 personnel.

Well, the Cowboys were very comfortable with Ro Williams playing man coverage on the left side and then they’d bracket Charlie Kolar and take their chances with Tre Sterling matched up in man coverage on Allen. Those matchups went decisively for the Cowboys with Sterling swatting away a crucial fourth quarter crossing pattern away when Allen couldn’t get any separation from the ‘Poke safety. We already knew from the ULL game (or last season) Allen is only good at finding openings in zone, he can’t get separation or bring the ball in against man coverage.

Iowa State’s insistence on using 12 personnel also made it easy for the Cowboys to keep eight or nine defenders around the box. They paid for that on two Breece Hall runs, a 70-yarder early where the Cowboys were packed in tight and Hall got behind them until they ran him down, and a 66-yarder on third and two where OSU got confused and lost the edge.

Those two runs were 136 yards, his other 18 carries produced 49 yards at 2.7 ypc. Iowa State got seven points from the two big runs because they missed a field goal, which was the margin of victory in this game. Other than those two big runs, Iowa State had nothing at all. Brock “pump fake” Purdy threw 34 passes for 162 yards at 4.8 ypa with one touchdown and one INT. A pair of interceptions by Spencer Sanders were necessary to keep the Cyclones around.

On the other side of things, Oklahoma State schemed up some big advantages for their own space force. Check out how they managed to isolate Tylan Wallace on a cornerback for a couple of third downs:

4x1 formation, screen to the quads side, quarterback draw in the middle of the field, and then Tylan Wallace running an out 1-on-1 against a cornerback. Iowa State doesn’t have cornerbacks who can hold up here. The whole design of their scheme is intended to protect them from facing 1-on-1 matchups in space. You have to make the Cowboys throw, block, and pick up the needed yards with the screen here, btw. You can’t yield numbers or leverage to the Sanders scramble or Wallace isolation.

Later in the game they’d work some deep shots to Wallace from here as well.

My biggest concern for the Cowboys was whether or not their young line, particularly walk-on left tackle Jake Springfield, would be able to hold up against Iowa State’s pass-rush. One way to help there was to always move with tempo and no substitution heading into third downs to avoid Iowa State getting a chance to sub Will McDonald onto the field. Springfield also played a pretty good game, he was quite the find for the Cowboys.

Springfield was a Flower Mound HS player who was listed at 6-4, 265 as a senior and unrated as a recruit for reasons I can’t quite understand. He’s a good athlete and while he can get pushed by a strong rusher, he’s hard to get around. Springfield’s emergence is saving Oklahoma State’s season.

So the Cowboys managed to mitigate the Iowa State pass-rush, scheme isolations for Wallace against the flyover defense, and then the Cyclones had no answer for Ro Williams and a bracket erasing Xavier Hutchinson and Charlie Kolar without sacrificing the ability to get numbers near the box to stop Breece Hall.

If not for some baffling Spencer Sanders decisions on the two interceptions, this would have been a blowout. Next week Oklahoma State hosts Texas...

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
This defense is going to do ugly things to Herman's schemes.

Only way it stays close IMO is we avoid turnovers and get enough from the defense in terms of red zone defense and turnovers, but I would be shocked if we score more than 3 offensive TDs without some serious help.

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
Shallow Sting is one of the true works of art (not joking) of the Lincoln Riley offense. They’ve been running it since 2017 and one thing I’ve noticed over the years is that with the 2017/2018 O-Lines that had 5 NFL picks they would have Baker or Kyler sit tight in the pocket and wait for the route to develop, but with Jalen and tha Rattla they seem to always have a delayed step up or delayed half roll to the leak side to help buy time for the route to develop.

2484F858-66B0-4436-BE9D-3249B42DDCD8.jpeg

southdakotahornfan

Jun 5, 2017
Really need this post to be required reading so everyone can stop recommending Fat Gare as a potential successor, or even above league average coach. There is a large contingent of TCU fans calling for his job
Yep. He obviously owns us constantly but who doesn’t at this point. I love watching them lose though, they always blow their load on the Texas game and play average to bad the rest of the year

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Texas fans that think Patterson is great are the ones who only watch TCU when they play Texas.

The last two Frog wins over Texas were both instances of Texas absolutely shooting their foot off. I mean, credit the Frogs for stepping on their throats and getting the win, but that program is struggling.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Shallow Sting is one of the true works of art (not joking) of the Lincoln Riley offense. They’ve been running it since 2017 and one thing I’ve noticed over the years is that with the 2017/2018 O-Lines that had 5 NFL picks they would have Baker or Kyler sit tight in the pocket and wait for the route to develop, but with Jalen and tha Rattla they seem to always have a delayed step up or delayed half roll to the leak side to help buy time for the route to develop.

View attachment 62981
How'd you get that?

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
Aw **** we got multiple people stealing playbooks now.

clayinva

Sep 9, 2020
Deuce Vaughn as best skills player in the Big 12 shouldn't raise many eyebrows by this point. In a regular 13 game (with bowl) season, he'd be on pace for 800 yards rushing, 900 yards receiving, and 31 defensive jocks left on the hashmark. These are absurd numbers for anyone, let alone a true freshman. He's a great talent matched with a cruel mind in Courtney Messingham who manages to scheme him into perfect mismatches a couple of times a game.

It's bizarre to me how well things are working out for Oklahoma State - their defense is perfectly suited to a year in the Big 12 where there are only imperfect offenses.

travisroeder

Aug 6, 2020
Purdy has sort of under-the-radar been trash. His PFF rating is just barely better than Charlie Brewer's. Purdy has played a tougher schedule and has worse skill talent, but his accuracy has just been flat off this year.

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
Purdy has sort of under-the-radar been trash. His PFF rating is just barely better than Charlie Brewer's. Purdy has played a tougher schedule and has worse skill talent, but his accuracy has just been flat off this year.
As a neutral observer, how would you compare Purdy to Ehlinger?

travisroeder

Aug 6, 2020
As a neutral observer, how would you compare Purdy to Ehlinger?
They're weird cause they're similar but in a yin and yang way. Purdy is just much more willing to take risks than Ehlinger is, both within the pocket and with his throws. Purdy just has zero accuracy this year, while ehlinger looks basically the same.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
It's mostly the skill talent that's the problem. No Hakeem Butler and no DeShaunte Jones.

Reactions: Schulz

wabash

Apr 3, 2017
How'd you get that?
Not very fun but I just knew the concept was called shallow sting and googled to find the diagram.

Here’s what I was talking about btw on how in 2018 they didn’t need to use the delayed half roll to buy time for the route to develop.

Compare that clip to this shallow sting TD from the Jalen Hurts year where as soon as he hits his 3 step he immediately half rolls to the leak side.

Last edited:

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
Maybe the new one time transfer rule will allow Quentin Johnston to transfer to UT this year. That'd be nice. Won't happen but it'd be nice.

• Haha
Reactions: Ian Boyd

pokeincognito

Sep 28, 2020
I'm a former wannabe high school/college football coach. I did film and some other minor stuff with my HS football team my senior year of school some years ago. I had all sorts of fun things drawn up on paper, I used to obsess about this stuff. Now, I'm pursuing a career in the aviation industry, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

That said, as someone who has been quite critical of Spencer Sanders, I was very impressed on Saturday. One horrible INT, and one INT that was a mix of not getting the right touch on it, and a good play by the defense. Really - this looked like a good QB playing his first game of the season.

He's really improved from a year ago. That's the key (in addition to OSU shoring up their patchwork offensive line) to winning the league this year.

Defensively these guys impressed. The numbers speak for themselves really. The next three games will be incredible tests for this team. The offense could hit a little bit of a higher gear as Sanders shakes off the rust of playing only one game to this point. Really, really enjoy watching this OSU defense.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
I'm a former wannabe high school/college football coach. I did film and some other minor stuff with my HS football team my senior year of school some years ago. I had all sorts of fun things drawn up on paper, I used to obsess about this stuff. Now, I'm pursuing a career in the aviation industry, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

That said, as someone who has been quite critical of Spencer Sanders, I was very impressed on Saturday. One horrible INT, and one INT that was a mix of not getting the right touch on it, and a good play by the defense. Really - this looked like a good QB playing his first game of the season.

He's really improved from a year ago. That's the key (in addition to OSU shoring up their patchwork offensive line) to winning the league this year.

Defensively these guys impressed. The numbers speak for themselves really. The next three games will be incredible tests for this team. The offense could hit a little bit of a higher gear as Sanders shakes off the rust of playing only one game to this point. Really, really enjoy watching this OSU defense.
His physical ability in their scheme with all that speed is deadly.

Multiple 4.4/4.5 guys on the field together, including the QB, and he has the arm strength to hit now screens at the numbers. It’s tough.

shanew21

Dec 4, 2014
The matchup doesn't bode well for Texas and losing the game could lead us to a big time hire to potentially right the ship for a while.

So naturally we'll win by 20

• Haha
Reactions: OneRiot

jtsween

Member Who Talks
Sep 30, 2017
If OSU doesn't have coverage busts that allow us to hit big plays, I really can't see our offense consistently driving the length of the field to score enough to win the game. We need the benefit of a few big over the top plays, and OSU has been pretty good at not giving those up (in the passing game).

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
If OSU doesn't have coverage busts that allow us to hit big plays, I really can't see our offense consistently driving the length of the field to score enough to win the game. We need the benefit of a few big over the top plays, and OSU has been pretty good at not giving those up (in the passing game).
I have a solution for Tom but I doubt he follows it.

Reactions: jtsween

goforbroke

Oct 29, 2008
tulsa
With Sanders back and getting to the edge with his speed .Wallace posing problems for db's and Hubbard doing his bull run Texas must have their defensive game of the year to stay competitive. Gundy again has shown his talent evaluation by installing a over looked Texas kid to somehow play like a veteran and fixing their Offensive line at their most vulnerable position.Imagine what Gundy would accomplish as HC at Texas.

kevinbelt

Oct 15, 2020
OK, the above comment brings up a question I've been wondering about for a long time. What's the deal with Mike Gundy? I don't really understand how he's still coaching OK State, let alone being mentioned as a candidate for Texas. I get that he's fairly innovative, and he does a good job of finding and developing overlooked recruits. But he seems to have a lot of issues with players, he's pretty insubordinate to the AD and the rest of the school, and he generally comes off as an a-hole. I guess being an alum earns him some credit at OK State, but I have a hard time seeing how anywhere else would tolerate all the shenanigans. Especially considering he's not all that successful on the field. He's never played in a Big XII Championship Game, and he only has one conference title (in a pretty down year for the conference), and one NY6 bowl win (that went to overtime, even). Resources aren't an excuse, since Pickens has pumped money into the program. How does a recruit look at him and say "I want to go play for that guy"? How does an AD look at him and say "that's the guy I want leading my team"? I just don't get it at all.

sherf1

Dec 8, 2018
OK, the above comment brings up a question I've been wondering about for a long time. What's the deal with Mike Gundy? I don't really understand how he's still coaching OK State, let alone being mentioned as a candidate for Texas. I get that he's fairly innovative, and he does a good job of finding and developing overlooked recruits. But he seems to have a lot of issues with players, he's pretty insubordinate to the AD and the rest of the school, and he generally comes off as an a-hole. I guess being an alum earns him some credit at OK State, but I have a hard time seeing how anywhere else would tolerate all the shenanigans. Especially considering he's not all that successful on the field. He's never played in a Big XII Championship Game, and he only has one conference title (in a pretty down year for the conference), and one NY6 bowl win (that went to overtime, even). Resources aren't an excuse, since Pickens has pumped money into the program. How does a recruit look at him and say "I want to go play for that guy"? How does an AD look at him and say "that's the guy I want leading my team"? I just don't get it at all.
Any positive OSU can point to also applies to the bigger brother up the street.

How good was A&M when Texas was winning 10+ games a year under Mack? Now add a way worse recruiting environment in central Oklahoma instead of central Texas. He's the definition of making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

Also that one Big 12 title (with a stacked team absolutely could have won the National Championship that year) is exactly one less than the most successful Texas coach the last 40 years has.

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019

How good was A&M when Texas was winning 10+ games a year under Mack? Now add a way worse recruiting environment in central Oklahoma instead of central Texas. He's the definition of making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

Also that one Big 12 title (with a stacked team absolutely could have won the National Championship that year) is exactly one less than the most successful Texas coach the last 40 years has.
Gundy was so close to a natty at Okie State which would have been maybe the greatest coaching achievement in CFB history

Reactions: sherf1

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
Gundy has led OK state to a bowl every single year hes been there except his first season. Thats incredible.

Ok State has been to 29 bowls in their history; 14 with Gundy
Ok State has a lifetime .479 winning pct without Gundy; .6751 with Gundy

Les Miles never won 10 games in 4 years at Ok State and parlayed that into the LSU job. It's a really tough place to win

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015

In addition to your points above, his starting 22 has better players than Texas and OU have this year.

kevinbelt

Oct 15, 2020
In addition to your points above, his starting 22 has better players than Texas and OU have this year.
How, though? That's what I don't understand. If you were a recruit, would you want to play for him? At times it seems that even the guys who sign there don't actually want to play for him. The stuff that came out this year after the OAN thing made it seem like players genuinely dislike the guy.

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
How, though? That's what I don't understand. If you were a recruit, would you want to play for him? At times it seems that even the guys who sign there don't actually want to play for him. The stuff that came out this year after the OAN thing made it seem like players genuinely dislike the guy.
Well they win.

Geoff Eneman

Nov 17, 2015
Monroe, LA formerly of Longview, TX
Ian, given our lack of a true No.1 WR, do you think it's better for us to run the up tempo, 11 spread personnel in order to try and scheme guys into space rather than the 12 we ran against Baylor? I feel like you can just stretch the defense or create matchups when they're spread out, but we absolutely refuse to do so. It's like we think we have a guy somewhere who can get open at will when he's not there.

To me it goes back to our insistence on recruiting bigger WRs who have what they consider NFL traits rather than the quick twitch, super fast smaller guys that seem to dominate college football right now. It's a lot easier to get open when you're faster than the guy lined up across from you than when not. Seems like a simple concept, but one that this staff has never grasped.

Reactions: kevinbelt

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
Not Ian but I think there’s a confluence of personnel and scheme issues going on. Run game is built around zone blocking, several of oline guys struggle laterally, they seem really slow in the slide step and out of synch. We are often putting Cade Brewer in the slot, and if you watch him run routes he just isn’t threatening the defense at all. Kai Money similarly is doing his best, but why we don’t have Josh Moore in the slot and Marcus Washington or Alvonte or Dixon outside. Texas probably needs to run tons of rubs and crossers. Personnel isn’t great and the usage isn’t great. Just a bad product, that still generates points because of good senior QB and occasional burst of talent.

On defense the plan appears better but I maintain everyone not named Adimora in the secondary is conference average at best. Mike LB still is easily lost in coverage as well. Against Baylor the cbs couldn’t hold up guarding 20 yards of space.

Last edited:

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Ian, given our lack of a true No.1 WR, do you think it's better for us to run the up tempo, 11 spread personnel in order to try and scheme guys into space rather than the 12 we ran against Baylor? I feel like you can just stretch the defense or create matchups when they're spread out, but we absolutely refuse to do so. It's like we think we have a guy somewhere who can get open at will when he's not there.
Absolutely they should get out of 12 and into 11 against OSU. They're not touching OSU playing that game in 12. ISU did little from that and they have Charlie Kolar and a run game.
To me it goes back to our insistence on recruiting bigger WRs who have what they consider NFL traits rather than the quick twitch, super fast smaller guys that seem to dominate college football right now. It's a lot easier to get open when you're faster than the guy lined up across from you than when not. Seems like a simple concept, but one that this staff has never grasped.
Yet they have like three, high quality fast twitch guys in Whitt, Smith, and Moore. Even as they grab big receivers they always end up with an excess of slots that can play and not enough guys that can beat man coverage outside.

Inanehorn

Member Who Talks
Mar 3, 2015
Absolutely they should get out of 12 and into 11 against OSU. They're not touching OSU playing that game in 12. ISU did little from that and they have Charlie Kolar and a run game.
Crazy too because Iowa st runs tons of crossers and still struggled to get open. I think their best run play was outside stretch, which Texas can’t execute. Herman is going to see that defensive speed and those corners and assume bully ball is the path. It’s not going to go well.

Geoff Eneman

Nov 17, 2015
Given our personnel as it stands right now, would you move Smith outside and try to get Whitt, Smith and Moore on the field together more? Of course this is assuming that all the guys are healthy. I don't mind one of Black or Eagles on the outside to give us one big body, but give me speed over size given what we try to do.

Wiley as the TE, Moore and Eagles/Black outside and Smith in the slot with Bijan at RB is our best lineup IMO. Wouldn't even mind Smith and Moore outside with Whitt in the slot if possible.

Reactions: stilesbbq

Ian Boyd

Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
Ypsilanti, MI
Crazy too because Iowa st runs tons of crossers and still struggled to get open. I think their best run play was outside stretch, which Texas can’t execute. Herman is going to see that defensive speed and those corners and assume bully ball is the path. It’s not going to go well.
Crossers are tough against single-high defense that knows what it's doing and can trade defenders off. They can get four defenders in the middle of the field and create too much congestion to get a clear read and throw.

Maybe worse for ISU, they didn't have a slot. Throwing crossers to tight ends is less effective, the safeties can recover and keep up with them across the middle.
Given our personnel as it stands right now, would you move Smith outside and try to get Whitt, Smith and Moore on the field together more? Of course this is assuming that all the guys are healthy. I don't mind one of Black or Eagles on the outside to give us one big body, but give me speed over size given what we try to do.
I cover this in the gameplan going up tomorrow. The main thing is not to play Moore outside, whoever plays outside is basically out of the game.

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
Crossers are tough against single-high defense that knows what it's doing and can trade defenders off. They can get four defenders in the middle of the field and create too much congestion to get a clear read and throw.

Maybe worse for ISU, they didn't have a slot. Throwing crossers to tight ends is less effective, the safeties can recover and keep up with them across the middle.

I cover this in the gameplan going up tomorrow. The main thing is not to play Moore outside, whoever plays outside is basically out of the game.
So then we should just stick Epps and Brewer out there?

Reactions: Ian Boyd

stilesbbq

Oct 2, 2019
Can Wiley or Epps play at X? I don't think Eagles is great by any means but may be underrated as an pure possession receiver on the outside

Geoff Eneman

Nov 17, 2015
So that's the typical Herman slot based offense. Why did we even bring in a new OC? Yurcich has involved outside WRs previously, hasn't he? What's the point of coordinating an offense where you aren't going to use everyone on the field? We are paying our HC $6.5m and our OC over $1m for what again?