Women's World Cup - France 2019

futures2015

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
May 2, 2015
Women's World Cup - France 2019

For those who care, the defending World Cup champion, USA, has their 1st round match vs Thailand at 14:00 tomorrow, Tuesday.

The US is in Group F with Thailand, Chile & Sweden.

EDIT: Tailand key player - striker, Miranda Nild (Suchawadee Nildhamrong) was born in the US, has lived her whole life here and plays for Cal. Her dad is Thai.

Last edited:

UTGrad91

Oct 29, 2008
To make this relevant to the politics board, what are the odds of a terrorist attack during the World Cup?

Reactions: SAhornfan

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
I wish I were a fan. The USWNT lost me when one or two started taking a knee during the anthem. I like that Jill Ellis said not on my watch, but it still doesn't fly for me.

Some of the worst soccer I've watched the past few days. Just god awful.

But thanks for posting.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
On this we can agree. WTF was that effort vs Venezuela??

LOL. You saw that **** show did you. I kept thinking, this looks like a U-8 rec game. There are basically 3 teams relatively competent at the game but that's about it. Hard to watch.

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
And since LHN is loading up on last seasons soccer matches you know their season is right around the corner.

Texas player Julia Grosso in on the Canadian national team. She didn't see action today, but I did see her on the bench.

futures2015

May 2, 2015
To make this relevant to the politics board, what are the odds of a terrorist attack during the World Cup?
Well, in the interest of accuracy, this is the "Politics and Current Events" forum.

As to your question, I hope there isn't a terrorist attack ... but it would make for some compelling TV.

Mostly, I'm watching because Alex Morgan is still playing ...

JG

Oct 29, 2008
LOL. You saw that **** show did you. I kept thinking, this looks like a U-8 rec game. There are basically 3 teams relatively competent at the game but that's about it. Hard to watch.
Soccer is one of the few things I’m not an expert at ;) but even I can see that standing and watching a rebound isn’t great defense.

Reactions: Bobcat 9

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
I wish I were a fan. The USWNT lost me when one or two started taking a knee during the anthem. I like that Jill Ellis said not on my watch, but it still doesn't fly for me.

Some of the worst soccer I've watched the past few days. Just god awful.

But thanks for posting.
Yeah that Megan Ropinoe has some issues. That's one angry woman.

Reactions: futures2015

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
I don't really follow soccer at all, but for some reason I actually know 4 or 5 of the WNT, Megan Rapinoe because she has that ultra bleached blonde hair, is a good player and took a knee so that brought her into the spotlight. Alex Morgan because well she's been in the SI swimsuit issue, Carli Lloyd because she played for the Houston Dash and thus got some print in the Chronicle, Kelly O'Hara because I thought she was probably related to the departed Maureen O'Hara, Ali Krieger and Ashlyn Harris because they got married and that got some press. I can't however name a single MNT player.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
As a reminder, most of this Women's Team lost to an FC Dallas 15U Boys Team like 5-2. Enjoy the soccer!
But they didn’t lose to Venezuela 3-0...

JG

Oct 29, 2008
And? Venezuela would beat our Women's team like 100-1.
I was kidding 40A.

Obviously the women would get destroyed. An average local rec team of men could probly beat them.

Maybe you want to go with SA and see about having your sense of humor surgically reattached to you.

40A

Feb 20, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
I was kidding 40A.

Obviously the women would get destroyed. An average local rec team of men could probly beat them.

Maybe you want to go with SA and see about having your sense of humor surgically reattached to you.
I was just giving you somebody to argue with.

My wife was an all-conference soccer player 3 out of her 4 years in college and I bared every single game so she'd marry me.

Reactions: futures2015 and JG

futures2015

May 2, 2015
US mens vs women’s would be a close game . Ha
If the men played a tight defensive game, they might find a way to get a goal and steal a win late...
Until the US men's soccer team finds a way to get the guys playing db, rb & wr on football teams and guard on basketball teams, US men's soccer will be mediocre most of the time.

Reactions: Horns05 and JG

futures2015

May 2, 2015
As a reminder, most of this Women's Team lost to an FC Dallas 15U Boys Team like 5-2. Enjoy the soccer!
Didn't know that, but not surprising.

When I was still coaching soccer, my u14 Classic div boys team would routinely hammer the local HS Girls varsity -- the defending State Champs.

At the risk of offending the LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ community, boys are simply faster, stronger & more athletic than girls.

Don't blame me ... genetics are biased.

JG

Oct 29, 2008

When I was still coaching soccer, my u14 Classic div boys team would routinely hammer the local HS Girls varsity -- the defending State Champs.

At the risk of offending the LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ community, boys are simply faster, stronger & more athletic than girls.

I was at Texas in the mid 80s, and used to play pick-up basketball at Gregory Gym with a lot of the women’s team members at that time.

I could hang pretty well.

That should tell you everything you need to know about the difference in athleticism between men’s and women’s sports.

I did see Clarissa Davis dunk once though.

Duke Silver

Oct 29, 2008
Jeez, they probably all should have identified as men before the game started to even it out.

Reactions: 40A

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas

Yep. The boys team was able to neutralize the athletic advantage our women's team usually enjoys. It then became a skills competition. The women didn't fare well.

The_Major

Apr 2, 2012
Austin, Texas
Imagine Steph Curry as a striker. Had he worked at it, he’d be amazing.
Not arguing your point. I'm sure he'd be dynamic. But I prefer really big dudes in the box. I think the best way to score in today's game is with the head.

JG

Oct 29, 2008
Not arguing your point. I'm sure he'd be dynamic. But I prefer really big dudes in the box. I think the best way to score in today's game is with the head.
I see you.

Imagine Westbrook on a corner.

Reactions: The_Major

40A

Feb 20, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
How the hell did Thailand qualify. They are terrible.
Despite what people would tell you (including 3/4 of the actual USWNT) we are by far the most progressive nation in the world when it comes to women's athletics and unfortunately there aren't 34 nations that are close to us, and that includes Thailand.

Reactions: Duke Silver

calvin farquhar

Dec 19, 2017
Despite what people would tell you (including 3/4 of the actual USWNT) we are by far the most progressive nation in the world when it comes to women's athletics and unfortunately there aren't 34 nations that are close to us, and that includes Thailand.
True story.

Argentina has only been funding a womens team for a few years now. It shows on the field.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
So are concussions not a problem when using your head in soccer?