Yellowstone (TV show)

PFD

Member Who Talks (A Lot!)
Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I just got through watching the series premier.

So far, so good. Big cast, led by Kevin Costner. Written and directed by Taylor Sheridan, so the storytelling and dialogue are similar to his prior works Hell or High Water, Sicario, and Wind River.

Early on, it feels like The Sopranos or Sons of Anarchy, but set in a Montana ranching family.

To be fair, I'm a big fan of Westerns, so this is in my wheelhouse.

Halas

Nov 5, 2012
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho

So far, so good. Big cast, led by Kevin Costner. Written and directed by Taylor Sheridan, so the storytelling and dialogue are similar to his prior works Hell or High Water, Sicario, and Wind River.

Early on, it feels like The Sopranos or Sons of Anarchy, but set in a Montana ranching family.

I watched it the other night as well after recording it. I’m pumped for it. This is right in Kevin Costner’s wheel house. The scenery is amazing. I’m really looking forward to this.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I watched it the other night as well after recording it. I’m pumped for it. This is right in Kevin Costner’s wheel house. The scenery is amazing. I’m really looking forward to this.
The scene in which Costner and his oldest son Lee pull the breech calf and then sit on the rocks and talk about what the calf means to them is awesome.

That's the kind of writing that makes Sheridan one of the best in the business today.

RepOfTexas

Jan 2, 2009

It’s a series? I saw a trailer in the background last night and thought it was a movie. Gonna have to check it out.

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
My lame ass DirecTV DVR cuts off the first minute or so of a program whenever it feels like it. Can someone tell me what happened in the cold open? There was a dead guy in wreckage, Dutton walked around it and had a gun...

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
My lame ass DirecTV DVR cuts off the first minute or so of a program whenever it feels like it. Can someone tell me what happened in the cold open? There was a dead guy in wreckage, Dutton walked around it and had a gun...
Same thing happened to me.

TexasPalladin

Nov 30, 2008
1st minute....Costner calming a frightened horse....fade back and you see the horse with front leg tore off and the horse is trapped in the wreckage.....Costner talks to him and says he's sorry....Then puts the gun under the horse's chin and pops him....Looked real enough that my wife started crying and wanted to know if they really killed a horse to make the movie.

Semper Fi

RepOfTexas

Jan 2, 2009
1st minute....Costner calming a frightened horse....fade back and you see the horse with front leg tore off and the horse is trapped in the wreckage.....Costner talks to him and says he's sorry....Then puts the gun under the horse's chin and pops him....Looked real enough that my wife started crying and wanted to know if they really killed a horse to make the movie.

Semper Fi
Dude, you’re killing me. Any other spoilers you’d like to throw out?

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Taylor Sheridan also a big fan of the explosion - hazy aftermath - carnage walkthrough sequence. Saw that in both Sicarios, saw it this past week. It's pretty effective.

I have an interest in the slow buildup to the Yellowstone cult story. These guys running around and branding each other. Is Costner gonna be upset if he finds out that that Rip guy that appears to be the leader is banging his daughter?

Symbolic analysis time! What does the wild horse represent? What about the wolf that got run over during the dream quest?

Last edited:

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
Was finally able to sit down and watch the first couple episodes. Crazy. My first date with my wife was to see some mountain lions eating an elk! But seriously. Great show. Already looking forward to episode 3. Thanks for bringing the show to our attention @PFD

Reactions: PFD

mikeylew21

Oct 29, 2008
Sparks, NV
Taylor Sheridan (not his real name) is an old fraternity brother of my buddy who attended SWTSU. Very successful writer.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
Holy s***, he’s the cop on Sons of Anarchy? The show with some of the worst writing ever?
The head writer on Sons was the actor who played Otto (the Son who was locked up for pretty much the entire series run).

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
The soundtrack on last night's episode of Yellowstone was tapped straight from one of my musical veins.
  • Ryan Bingham during the opening scene
  • Whiskey Myers appeared (as themselves) in the honky-tonk scenes and performed two songs.
  • Uncle Lucius during the climactic trip to Wyoming.
It's like they're writing and producing this show specifically for me.

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
The soundtrack on last night's episode of Yellowstone was tapped straight from one of my musical veins.
  • Whiskey Myers appeared (as themselves) in the honky-tonk scenes and performed two songs.
I’ll tell you what, PFD. This is one of the better shows I have seen in some time. Got my Dad hooked on it too. Already decided, it’s going to be worth a rewatch.

TOK2000

May 3, 2010
So I like this show, but I have a hard time finding any characters to root for in it. Beth is the bitch from hell, Dad is just not a nice guy, the sons are unlikeable except Kaycee but he's murdered 5 people already (even though they all deserved it or asked for it). I guess Kaycee's wife is nice, but the protagonists, Thomas Rainwater and the Developer guy are both total jerks. But yet I find it compelling.

Halas

Nov 5, 2012
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
I love Whiskey Myers. They’re right in my musical lane.

PFD

Oct 29, 2008
Dallas
I'll buy a six-pack of moderately priced beer for the first poster who can identify the guitar solo that played during the opening scene of tonight's new episode.

PearlandHorn

Feb 5, 2012
Pearland, TX
Winner.

Name your prize.

[BTW, how badass is it for Sheridan to use that track in the otherwise simple opening featuring Kacey Dutton on the stallion?]
I won’t charge this time, PFD. I initially thought it was another song, but you got me racking my brain about it. The entire show is just really well done.

Last edited:

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I am literally 30 minutes from being caught up, but for some reason DirecTV's on demand service won't post ep 7. I tried watching it through Paramount's website, but like everything else streamed on the internet, it is constantly buffering, getting out of sync, telling me it's unavailable, and just being all around unwatchable. This is the biggest issue I have with the movement, or threat as I call it, to all TV going to a streaming service. **** like this is absolutely maddening.

Anyway, to echo the sentiments earlier, none of the Duttons have any redeeming qualities, including Kayce. Oh and Kayce's kid... don't get me started!

There's a theme of things from the past coming back to be harmful of those in the present. To that end, the fossil, which I previously thought was just going to be some kind of neat little subplot, seems like it will probably play a part in some sort of undoing. Or it may have already done so. As I say, stupid stream won't ****ing stream.

Reactions: Young Williams

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I’m avoiding the latter part of the thread, as I haven’t caught up yet.

**SPOILER ALERT**

I just finished the episode where it appears Monica may have died.

**SPOILER ALERT**

I am filled with rage, as she is the finest woman I have ever laid eyes on.

Taylor Sheridan can’t stop doing awful things to her.

Seriously. I’m pissed.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
I couldn’t wait, so I burned through the other two eps. Now I’m all caught up and ready for Wednesday.

It’s a little soapier than I expected/wanted, but it’s still compelling as hell.

Certainly don’t see this all tying up in a neat little bow after 60min in the finale.

Strong effort for the Paramount network. Like USA with Mr. Robot, they need a show to legitimize them. And this is doing that for sure.

And as to the likeable character search...I’d say Monica’s Vietnam vet grandfather counts.

I don’t know how many times I want to sign up for having my heart broken by this show.

A lotta fine B’s, though, I’ll give it that. Y’all can all have Kelly Reilly, I’ll take the field.

And by the field, I mean Monica, the Governor, Jamie’s campaign assistant and the Lez in the towel. Oh, and Jenkins’ hatchet woman and whoever that is in the finale-teased bar scene.

That should be enough. I don’t know, though, I like to fill up on 5-stars.

Young Williams

Jan 24, 2012
Well, what do we think?

I think Sheridan may be trying to create a show where we never truly know who “the bad guy” is.

Dutton feels bad sometimes. Othertimes, not.

The finale left me feeling like S1 was Kayce’s origin story. And I love where that’s going.

To be the guy who said, “There’s no such place as Heaven”, he sure clung to a very noble, very romantic sense of right and wrong throughout S1.

But it feels like he’s ready to play ball now.

Lastly, the women on this show are stupidly, stupidly, stupidly hot.

Reactions: Jdhmills and PFD

MikeHdez12

Sep 3, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I just finished the episode where it appears Monica may have died.

**SPOILER ALERT**

I am filled with rage, as she is the finest woman I have ever laid eyes on.
That's great. Monica's really something and she has a very exotic look about her, which is weird to say considering she plays a Native American.

However, I am one million trillion percent all about Jamie's assistant, Christina. She kills me. Seriously, from now on, when someone asks me my type, I'll finally have an answer rather than a vague description.

Ok, now that very important point is out of the way, the show. Uhh, I guess they were very confident about getting that second season. They did, which is good, but imagine if they didn't.

I'm not as high on this show as some around here. It's kinda melodramatic, the pacing is a little erratic, the narrative is a tad convoluted, the action almost always forced. Also, you guys know country more than me by a damn sight, but does every cue have to be so on the nose? This week's example closed the season: "my father could use a little mercy now" as Beth cries over the unease of John's future. Eesh.

But I can look past a lot of that because the good in this show works well. The interaction of the cowboys is so fun. The ease at which cowboys can turn a phrase in real life is perfectly executed in this show. ("Shower back there?" "Unless somebody moved it.") The scenery is incredible. The actors are fantastic. The production is first-rate.

Going forward, I am all about this Kayce heel turn! Finally! It's a crazy message of the show that the one kid who doesn't live on the ranch is the one who ****s up the most. But now heel Kayce is here to get all up in the business. There's also Jamie turning his back on his family who turned their back on him for his perceived initial turning of his back... or something. I really liked how he struggled to talk to the journalist briefly and then quickly changed demeanor. Like that trick where you smile, then wipe your hand over your face and you're instantly sad. Well done.

Rip telling Jimmy "I belive in stupid. You prove it every ****ing day" was my line of the season. My last note, the reporter pronounced her name "New-Yin"? Come on, broh. It's "When" like Dat Nguyen. Don't be weird.